Tips for piano beginner?

Tips for piano beginner?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hvs20Ez_cr8&list=PLDFB01201DA196DE4
usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalkeyboards/dgx_series/dgx-230/
amazon.com/Piano-Handbook-Complete-Guide-Mastering/dp/0879307277
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

take lessons

press the button stupid

thanks master

Learn to play scales, play often to develop an ear, and learn to read sheet music

RIP

youtube.com/watch?v=hvs20Ez_cr8&list=PLDFB01201DA196DE4

Develop world-class emotional pain tolerance.

dont push the fingers on keys but roll your wrists

>you can't learn piano without a teacher, just give me... um the teachers 100€ for 45 minutes
nice try

or you know, make friends with more experienced people and get free lessons

Listen to herbie Hancock

This is how I learned to play drums and guitar. Friends were in a band, suddenly they needed a drummer. I volunteered to help out if they teach me. Eight years later, bands all over town are trying to poach me for my bass playing skills, never had a formal lesson in my life outside of school.

It probably helps that I'm from a musical family, always hung around musicians and had a lot of musical toys as a kid though (pic related). And that my mates were patient with me as I got good.

I started playing about two weeks ago. I dicked around for a week and then I downloaded Udemy's lessons. They're pretty great and I'm making progress. I got them off of PTH but f you can't find a working torrent it's only $10 for the course right now.

don't forget to sight read every day or you will regret it and you will undeniably suck ass if you ignore sight reading

Jimi Hendrix couldn't sight read. Did Jimi Hendrix suck ass?

>guitar

are my hands supposed to be sore when I start playing? I curve the fingers and everything but after 30 minutes it feels like my hands are cramping.

Just play.

Yes, you will get physically tired in your hands until they're conditioned for longer and longer periods of playing. Maybe give your hands a stertch before you play and a little massage afterwards, or take a break or two during your session. Don't push yourself too hard, you can injure yourself and put yourself out of action unnecessarily.

When I first started playing guitar my fingertips would blister badly, but they eventually developed callouses which allowed me to play for hours. Drumming is also quite physically exhausting when you start, if you're not already into cardio. The physical strain is one of the first things you notice when you start playing for long periods, but it soon stops being an issue if you persevere.

>never had a formal lesson in my life (outside of school)

do you need a full-sized piano for these lessons or what?

I got a nice keyboard with weighted keys recently, could I learn at least the basics on this or do you NEED a real piano?

This is wrong.
You should learn to articulate your fingers instead

Are you annoyed that I never had tuition outside of school, or that I didn't consider school music lessons to be formal music lessons, or was it something else in my post?

You're both wrong man, you're just, like, playing the INSTRUMENT, when you should be playing the MUSIC! It's not in the fingers or the wrists, it's in HERE man, in your heart!

It's perfect

Very silly, I must admit it but again no, I'm wright

how many keys is the keyboard?

i have a 49-key thing and im trying to get by without needing to drop $250 on a "real" ##-key keyboard

pls respond, i just wanna learn the basics

thanks user

The piano has 88 keys. None more none less

I'm not an expert but I've been learning on 49 keys. It's pretty rare that I encounter some written piece of music that goes beyond those notes.

76, it's a dgx-230.
usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalkeyboards/dgx_series/dgx-230/

following any specific tutorials?

a combination of learning scales/chords, technique, and covering songs you like so you can entertain your friends with your playing.

which udemy one? PTH has a few (and a 15 GB my ratio wont enjoy)

Get good

I'm just reading this, I found a pdf of it online somewhere.

amazon.com/Piano-Handbook-Complete-Guide-Mastering/dp/0879307277

I tried some other books like Alfred's, but I like this one better. It seems to have less children's music. For some reason playing children's music on piano really depresses me.

Mine is 61 keys and I can follow along well enough.

I got the 2.2 gb one. You can use a freeleech token on anything under 2gb I think.

You need to be able to sight read if you want to play a lot of classical music.

I totally agree sight reading improves the quality and scope of one's playing a lot. My only point was that you can be unable to sight read without "sucking ass."

But then I realised that OP is talking about piano, and sight reading really is a prerequisite there, whereas talented improvisational guitar players (eg. Hendrix) can get away with just looking and sounding cool.

anybody learn with this guy

i am enjoying it so far, have probably played for about three hours today.

Just started learning too with this app called Yousician, its pretty fun with guitar hero-ish lessons where you have to hit notes as they appear on the screen
you can only use it for a limited time per day for free though and im not sure how far it will get me

I did. It was great for beginners

you can improvise on the piano, don't packpedal so much because you had a point

if you're never going to be playing piano for classical reasons (e.g. your passion is free jazz or you're just learning to play synthesizer or something) then you don't have to force yourself to sight read, or to read music at all theoretically

no you dont play with your fingers you, you hold them still they dont move only your wrists you dumb fuck

If you wanna play piano or synthesizer, music theory is kinda important, especially free jazz and the like