I....I don't get it

I....I don't get it.

Sure the beats are different, but the subject matter is pretty much just DUDE DRUGS LMAO. Danny's voice is as grating as ever, and his bars aren't even anything to write home about.
Literally the best part of the album is the Earl Sweatshirt feature and the Lost beat. I appreciate him being more experiemental than other rappers but i dont think this album is as brilliant as you people make it out to be, i think you just like it cause Fantano does DESU. (Has a wicked album cover/title tho)

people who say bars piss me off

rappers piss you off?

I love rap but hate most rappers and most fans of rap. The only rapper I like as a person too is Young Thug,

Yeah it's a meh album imo. Never got the hype behind it.

i feel like i would really like this if his voice was tolerable

You're just too dumb to understand avant-garde art

his voice is great, just not for those sorta dark beats

>i think you just like it cause Fantano does DESU.

But there were people raving about it before Fantano even reviewed it, let alone made it his AOTY

Well that's just like your opinion dude.

>the subject matter is pretty much just DUDE DRUGS LMAO
You're missing the point. He's talking about his addiction, and how it's destroying his life and he's afraid that he might die because he's in too deep. Look at the first verse on Downward Spiral:
>I'm sweating like I’m in a rave
>Been in this room for 3 days
>Think I’m hearing voices
>Paranoid and think I’m seeing ghost-es, oh shit
>Phone keep ringing but I cut that shit off
>Only time I use it when I tell the dealer drop it off
>Had a threesome last night, ain’t matter what it cost
>Couldn’t it get hard, tried to stuff it in soft
>Had to fuck em both raw, keep my fingers crossed
>Been grinding on my teeth so long it's swelling up my jaw
>Nothing on but my bathrobe and pinky ring
>Your worst nightmare for me is a normal dream
>And if I learned anything
>Is don’t nod off with ya motherfucking cigarette burning
>Knocking on my door but I won’t answer
>Residue on mirrors, Jojo dancer
This is a story. He's not at all advocating for this kind of lifestyle. The story is that he was on a drug bender for multiple days, it got way out of hand, and he thought he might die. The only thing that saved his life was he fell asleep with a cigarette in his hand and lit the bed on fire, bringing the fire department or someone else to come and save him. Even while the person is knocking on the door to come save him, he's too drugged up to answer it. This is kind of a wake up call for Danny, and on the next verse he reflects on his life decisions.

This is kind of way you should approach the album. If you find any glamour in what he's talking about, that's due to you glamorizing. Every song is about his life and addiction getting crazier and crazier until the last song when he decides that he won't be able to survive his addiction, so he will make music until the day he dies to carry on his legacy.

Sorry for the long comment, I really like this album.

>DUDE DRUGS LMAO

that's music in a nutshell.

>wicked

are you from new england by chance

I don't think it's a great album but I'm glad someone enjoys it enough to write out this long-ass comment

>verbal couture parkour with the metaphors the flow house of horror dead bolted with metal doors

this is bait but Danny's voice grew on me and now I don't think the album would be the same without his frantic and grating voice

> dude drugs lmao

I guess the album is about that if you take literally everything he says at face value and don't think about it

BARS BARS BARS BARS BARS BARS

Come to think about it, a lot of people were pissed off that Flanthony Falafel made Atrocity Exhibition his album of the year.
If anything, Anthony's review made the amount of scorn against this album increase.

ahh that must be it

yeah i understand he isnt advocating the lifestyle. Its like XXX in that way, surface level about partying but dig deeper and its about depression/addiction. But it doesnt seem genuine like every time i watch an interview he seems pretty cheerful and level headed

>but the subject matter is pretty much just DUDE DRUGS LMAO
and? why is this a problem?

Sounds like you don't understand depression

Any recs for anyone who liked that album and Death Grips but doesn't really listen to rap?

u missed the fucking point of this album. it's about so much more than drugs individually in half the songs and the entire theme of the album is his atrocious downward spiral that is on display for the world, not about fucking drugs lmao

and the emotional toll it takes on him

Danny talks about depression and its correlation to his rap in a way most other rappers don't and drugs is only a part of the music.
Its bretty gud m8

Earl had the weakest verse get the fuck outta here

>dude drugs lmao

Well, yeah. But it's not in a good way.

The whole appeal of the album is the guy knows he on a downward spiral, and that his addiction is going to eventually kill him, and he can't do anything but revel in the chaos.

This is the third verse from Ain't It Funny, probably the easiest to understand verse that illustrates his impending doom.

>Staring in the devil face
>But ya can’t stop laughing
>Staring in the devil face
>But ya can't stop laughing
>It’s a living nightmare
>That most of us might share
>Inherited in our blood
>It's why we stuck in the mud
>Can’t quit the drug use
>Or the alcohol abuse
>Even if I wanted to
>Tell you what I’m gonna do
>I’ma wash away my problems
>With this bottle of Henny
>Anxiety got the best of me
>So popping them Xannies
>Might need rehab
>But to me that shit pussy
>Pray for me y’all
>Cause I don't know what coming to me

If that isn't a haunting thing to hear somebody say, you aren't paying close enough attention.

This guy gets it.

Clipping - clppng
Ratking - So it Goes
Shabazz Palaces - (both albums)
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Run the Jewels - (I like 2 the best)

I have to change my aoty cause melonhead stole mine

BLACKIE - SPRED LUV LP

Do you like tell me what I don't know then? He sings normally on that track.

Ain't it funny is undeniably the best track on the record but his stuff could use some variety or fuck a different angle if he's going to keep drilling the same subject over and over.

So did Danny Brown actually make a Moonman reference on Pneumonia?