One question

One question

Why when you blow into a jar of tapwater it become more sour than basic?

Is it because the Dihydrogen Carbonate (H2CO3) dissolves into the water and releases co2, which is sour?

cast me a line here

I'd blow into her jar of tap water

i guess I can keep you happy with some pictures then

You're increasing concentration of Hydrogen to the mix when you blow CO2 through it. Hydrogen ions make things acidic (what you call sour) by increasing pH levels. pH can be thought of as the power of hydrogen ions in a solution. When you

The partial pressure of co2 in your breath is too low to force it into the water and make the reaction. Yes, the water absorbs carbon from the air making H2CO3, but it takes a lot of time and you need a large surface, like the ocean,so it can happen.

>When you

dont leave me hanging homie

This is just wrong, you can blow into a flask with a straw and observe the same process.

Source: titrations

I mean like a cup of 150 ml of tapwater

The straw forces the carbonated air into the water making bubbles and shit, user. This is completely deferente from just blowing over the water. But yeah you are right. I got the wrong picture.

You should try it using a straw like said. This way you can actually force the air inside the water, forcing the CO2 to mix. I guess it will take quite a while, though.

bump for /r/ of this girl standing up. The picture used to be pretty common but ive never seen this one. ty

This, but not hydrogen, protons (doesn't have an associated electron). It makes carbonic acid. Acids are sour, like citric acid from lemons and such. You can get it more acidic if you hold the air in your lungs for a bit longer, because you are increasing the concentration of c02.

You're welcome for your high-school homework answer

More of her?

>You're welcome for your high-school homework answer
kek

wait hold up dont protons have a postive charge?

They do. Electrons are negative and single protons are basically H- ions

Sorry just H not H-. H- Means there IS an electron. H is not an ion just a proton

so i i write. the reason why the water becomes sour is because the constant flow of h- ions that is overpowering the hydrogen and thus making it sour?
yay or nay?

Nay. I don't know the exact questions but I would probably write

>water becomes sour because it is becoming acidic
>its becoming acidic because its pH levels are rising
>pH levels are rising because youre blowing CO2 into the water (in this case over the water) which then forms carbonic acid H2CO3
>Carbonic acid has 2 Hydrogen ions and is an acidic compound, acids are sour, therefore blowing onto water makes it sour

Can any other chemistryfags confirm this answer?

basically the question was to examine the effect of blowing air into tap water.

Nigga, no. The CO2 in you blood passes to the air in you lungs. This CO2 reacts with the water creating HCO3. The acid makes the water sour.

whats her name? shes always in pawg threads, but never found source

Because OP, that's how your breath smells to everyone because you never brush your fucking teeth.

If you want extra points write the equation too

CO2 + H20 => H2CO3

And study harder so you dont need to go on fucking Sup Forums for help man. Do it yourself, its possible

So why is it when i blow into the water the pH-value change? This is because when a constant flow of co2 to H2O mixes, will increase the consetraion of hydrogen Ion which is the reason why the sour status of aci, and creates bicarbonate which sours the water
yes?

sour things have a low ph
alkaline/basic has a higher ph

we havent got any books we got thrown into this experiment and forced to this without any background

>**H2CO3

The reaction is basically: H2O + CO2 H2CO3 .

When an acid gets inside the water it releases H+, increasing the pH. The increase in pH makes it taste sour.

it lowers the ph faggot
vinegar has a ph of about 2

No, forget the constant flow of anything. That doesn't mean shit. The reason it's sour is because when Carbon Dioxide CO2 (the stuff you breath out of your lungs) comes into contact with Water H2O it forms Carbonic Acid H2CO3. If you notice Carbonic Acid has 2 positively charged hydrogen atoms (because hydrogen in nature is the only element that doesnt have an electron in atomic form). Therefore Carbonic Acid is the only conpound responsible for the sour taste. The glass of water then becomes to contain both H2O and H2CO3 with no freefloating hydrogen in it. Understand?

Oh and my bad, the pH cale is wonky so it actually LOWERS the pH levels (under 7 ph is acidic and above 7 is basic). Get it?

you my nigga man thanks a ton! Is there anyway I can repay you in paypal or someshit?