/prod/

bogdanoff edition

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go torizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client herehexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloudlink is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/ot2ohmzb
clyp.it/m5af5ms4
clyp.it/wupeydft
clyp.it/oj120u1i
clyp.it/wpveyieo
clyp.it/rhmp30bn
clyp.it/wvamncwj
clyp.it/x4yqzbit
clyp.it/0efalgd4
clyp.it/bug55uic
youtube.com/watch?v=CIEEqr5COEw
clyp.it/0xlllpys
youtube.com/watch?v=9TxpfHVo4mo
clyp.it/13s1c0xk
clyp.it/hsvto3yy
clyp.it/dixqvpd5
clyp.it/lna4wzjt
clyp.it/io5grmek
clyp.it/yn5dq3cn
mediafire.com/folder/b4drybgq9cbbc/MasterClass_-_deadmau5_Teaches_Electronic_Music_Production_[SaiKaT_B]
clyp.it/jdx2t32x
clyp.it/hs0zjhal
clyp.it/1x313vrj
forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/30/dpc-spike-checker-tool-for-pc/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The way deadmau5 writes melodies is just hilarious

are they half protoss

clyp.it/ot2ohmzb

This is the intro and first verse to my hip hop-ish beat. There's current no mastering done, save for some volume adjustments. What would you suggest needs to be done to the track to make it a bit nicer? This is the first thing I've made which I'm legitimately happy with so far.

do yall high pass snare drums??

what frequency do yall try to cut off at

2 clyps but different genres. Not mixed at all. Rough ideas I'd like some opinions on.

clyp.it/m5af5ms4
clyp.it/wupeydft

I really enjoy the modulation starting at 0:55 on the second one. I'll have to work on it more.

8 bars I need help with:
clyp.it/oj120u1i
My flanger's eating the organ. I mean, it makes sense such a clear sound would get fucked up by a comb filter so...this just plain won't work, will it? I tried compressing it, but eh.
Wasn't really going for a rotary sound btw.

What does he do?
I'd tone the reverb way down on the first one.
I like the second one much better. I think the heavy stereo shit is a bit distracting and it's jarring when it goes out for a while.
The lead could be louder. The modulation's cool, but the way you bend the bass just feels like it's gone out of tune.

Basically I need an idea for some slow modulation I could do over this bit.

Isn't it about time we give up on the DAW descriptions in the wiki?
No one's doing it.
It's not even a funny maymay.

depends on the drum and the context
sometimes I like some lows on my snares and give them a bump in the fundamental region which can be as low as 80ish Hz if it's tuned really low
but especially if there's spill from the kick that shit has to go

>Yo can anybody recommend me some tutorials for U-HE Diva? Like indepth stuff? ADSR has a video but rest is pay2watch

Have you read the manual first? Go into templates in the presets and it will show you pic related.

Alpha = Alpha Juno
June-60 = Juno 60
Jupe-6 = Jupiter 6
Jupe-8 = Jupiter 8
Minimono = Minimoog Model D
MS-Rev1/2 = MS-20 Rev 1/2

Start with one of those templates and search youtube for explanations of those synths. The MS-20 because they hardware does modulations with a patchbay but the software modulators uses a drop-down menu but you can still do most of the same stuff.

*The MS-20 is tricky because the

fuck

clyp.it/wpveyieo

Done yesterday, not 100% done, still need to mix some stuff for sure.
It's weird, tell me if it works.

Thanks for the feedback!

I think that the bass sounds a bit out of tune just on the last 2 beats before a theme returns. I didn't finish that part so I just routed it back to the loop so it can still kinda work, but it's awkward for now.

I thought those guys were like Bo Selecta characters, oh my fucking god no.

just normal french people, m8

Okay so it's this guy back again. I have an update

clyp.it/rhmp30bn

I'm honestly so happy with this and I've done pretty much no mastering. This is the first song I've made (I sing lyrics along to it but I don't have the equipment to record it) which I legitimately enjoy and would put on my playlist. What do you guys think?

clyp.it/wvamncwj

an idea im working on kinda like thom yorke or some wierd idm stuff but poppy aswell idk

introduce some other elements. the piano gets old quick especially since the melody is very short

Yeah, I guess the problem with showing the version without the vocals does reveal repetition in the melody. The main focus of the song is the lyrics during those parts so the repetition is less noticable, but I do want to add more variation to the melodies of both verses. Right now it's just an issue of finding stuff that works since I basically have no VSTs and just fuck around with whatever comes with FL Studio torrented lol

fair enough!

i use stock fl studio as well. sytrus is really easy to use, you can make any fm sounds you can dream of and you can also use it as an additive synth. so basically any synth sounds you hear in modern pop or hip hop. harmor is really cool as well, you can drag audio clips into it and use it as a sampler sort of and make interesting textures / pads / ambient sounds. i'm not a pro though so im sure theres a thousand more ways to come up with interesting sound design techniques in stock fl

i like the build up around the last quarter of the song

Thanks for the tip! I've been meaning to figure out how Styrus works, so i should get on that lol

>clyp.it/m5af5ms4
First one sounds like it should be in a Serbian genocide video.

How so?

Not that guy but I've been watching the masterclass too.

90% of time he is trying to figure out something that works. He can hear what sounds good and what doesn't, but it's just a really slow hit and miss process for him. He said multiple times he would rather just play it on a keyboard, but never explains why he just doesn't learn it already.

Basically, sliding the notes one by one on a piano roll until it "sounds right" is his process. He can't hear anything in his head before that.

I like the guy and some of his music, anyway. I didn't learn much from his masterclass for now (maybe went through 25% of it though), but it's nice to listen to stuff he says, it's more like a psychological thing for me - to motivate me a bit.

Only thing it made me realize is that I should really give a 15th chance to Ableton and learn it. Seeing him working in it is comfy as fuck compared to FL. And a part where he said that people stick to one DAW just because they know it the best and don't want to change resonates with me. I started with FL, but after I got a free license I especially feel the need to keep using it, even though the workflow is kinda annoying. I like it's design the most, but Ableton just makes everything easier and that's what matters in the end.

Really hope they will redesign ableton one day, though.

Haha, yeah, it's that eastern sound, don't know how familiar you are with that kind of music to get that association. Everything is fine, as long as the music is good, though. I guess I'll work on a second one more.

Got a link to the master class?

synthesiser noob here

i've been using massive for a few years but never really understood what things do. i just mess around with presets until i get a sound that i like

the thing i like about massive is it's variety and how you can (pretty much) make any sound you need from it.

can i do the same thing with 3xosc? i plan on learning a synth inside out so i can improve my knowledge of synthesisers and hopefully better my production.

thanks in advance

clyp.it/x4yqzbit

working on this rn, i wanna make the drop sound jumpy and anime-ish but i dont know how. what do

Stop posting these guys they are scary

You like shawn wasabi don't you, very cute tho

clyp.it/0efalgd4

this is my thing

eh, i was actually going for the wave racer sound, but shawn wasabi is /c/ool too.

that track sounds great user, something like bo en + nujabes

meant for lol

I don't really have anything to say mix-wise.
It's pretty cute, however it sounds like it's kinda all-over the place composition wise and the idea overall isn't that strong. Sounds a bit like you just messed around with a bunch of stuff without really getting super inspired.

anyone??

>can i do the same thing with 3xosc? no you cant lmao, massive has like a million and one wave forms while 3xosc barely has like 6 or smt, not to mention the stuff you could do with the LFO, effects, etc on massive. theres a reason most professional producers use it alongside sylenth

>theres a reason most professional producers use it alongside sylenth

>no you cant massive has like a million and one wave forms

lol desu

this is what not understanding looks like kids

You can find it on Rutracker.

yeah that was an experiment, I usually make totally different stuff that's why it sounds pretty flat

I get influenced by you all and often end up making some electronic shit, while I could buy myself a nice fedora and work on my classical composition skills.

I need a /comp/ + /prod/ thread with less autism from comp, and less shitty music from /prod/ (including mine).

*teleports away*

Not sure if I like this or not but I had fun playing it desu. Also I'm real terrible at mixing

clyp.it/bug55uic

I think I remember you posting the second one a while back? I quite like it.

Very good and nice. I can never get my drums to sound good so I just end up not using any percussion...

Some of the best stuff I've heard in /prod/. Really enjoy this
You guys make me want to get better.

Thank you so much for the feedback! (I'm )
Your track reminds me of some ambient works by Huerco S. like youtube.com/watch?v=CIEEqr5COEw

The sounds are a bit too artificial btw, try work on the sound design and the mixing
What VST are you using? I can suggest you some maybe

Go through the manuals and try to understand everything. You can do some crazy shit with 3xosc as well but overall it's different than Massive.

Let me give you an example of how you can make crazy shit with 3xosc. you can load your own waveforms in there and if you load up a huge fuckin waveform it sounds like the weirdest thing you've ever heard.

that's not true, you can load your own waveforms in 3xosc

/prod/ and /comp/ should be the same thing, besides, /comp/ is almost always dead

I can't tell if that 16th note thing is an arp or a percussion thing with some weird tonality, either way it sounds a bit off and distracts from the whole composition. Speaking of the composition, sounds flat and uninspired, however sounds like you've not been doing this for a long time so it's good if you're a beginner.

I'm using my MS20, u-he TyrellN6 and a Volca sample looping the bell arpeggio. I have a really hard time getting my stuff to sound full and interesting

ah, yeah that's just a kick tuned way up and the decay turned down. Just though it sounded cool. And it might be a bit off desu as I was playing it on my keys. Any suggestions to make it a bit more interesting (the song I mean).

>bogdanoff edition
kek

Working on a sort of troll dance-ish thing. Haven't really decided on the instruments yet so here's a generic keys recording
clyp.it/0xlllpys

I'd learn massive if I were you, and if you really want to get to know it always start with an empty patch, not a preset. IIRC there's a pretty good router overview so you can see how all the components are linked together, shouldn't be that hard to learn that way.

well, I think it should start with some solid inspiration, I'm just not too fond of the idea you're going for.

I mean, it's just an Arabic scale, it's pretty fun and all but very generic sounding

>I mean, it's just an Arabic scale, it's pretty fun and all but very generic sounding
aye can't disagree with that

youtube.com/watch?v=9TxpfHVo4mo

can i make a bassline like this in 3xosc?

i used massive before i got my mac. can't run vst's on fl studio on mac so i've decided to try and learn another vst

how the fuck do you make a dnb song out of break loops

I don't fucking understand how people do this.

>tfw fell for the ableton meme

>tfw fell for the daw meme

>I think I remember you posting the second one a while back? I quite like it.
Thanks, glad you liked it!

Bitwig is just as good and its like 1/3 the price

how 2 into drum and bass?

It's surprisingly difficult to not over-complicate dnb. This already sounds like a mess

clyp.it/13s1c0xk

my monitors never used to pick up radio signals, but now in the last couple of days they do, any idea why?

Your house got probably wired.

you can make a bassline like this in EVERY synth, it's just a sine wave with an envelope.

this isn't bad, I like all the switchups with your drums as well, my only piece of feedback is that maybe you could use some better drums in terms of samples and not really digging that saw-y bassline.

ground loop due to some other device plugged in?

clyp.it/hsvto3yy
>hip hoppy
>weird
>rap

need ur ears on the mixing. would love some honest critique

Other than some clipping I noticed (like @ 2:32) the mix sounds pretty tight. What's your vocal bus look like?

basic stuff, just attenuating the lower freqs with FL's equalizer and a liiittle bit of compression+limiting

clyp.it/dixqvpd5

How does this sound prod? Anything I can do better? I'm worried that my lows are getting muddied and are overpowering the mix

/ableton/?

wouldnt you just turn the release up?

In terms of workflow I don't think you'll find a better DAW than Ableton Live. There are some frustrating things about it but if you want to get ideas out quick, nothing really beats it.

Use 2 tracks and alternate between them. You have unlimited tracks, utilize this amazing technology we've been given.

clyp.it/lna4wzjt
Am I being obnoxious here?

It'd just work if I played two or more different notes.
I got the tail to play everytime, but I had to use two samplers and a chain selector and that doesn't work for me since I'm trying to lower CPU usage for live performing.
I'm sure the answer is really simple and I'm overcomplicating everything.

it would work if you turned the release up, just turn the loop off on the sample and loop it using midi notes

also turn off retrigger

thanks!I'll read the manual now

Thank you so much, man. The release was set to 60s, but the retrigger mode was activated, it worked perfectly.

whats so hard about that? it's easy as fuck

that's the great thing about ableton's default devices/info view. when in doubt you can just mouse over things until you find the answer to your problem.

never really made drum and bass before, and I'm still shit at producing but I've been working on this and it still seems a bit lifeless. What are some good techniques, vst's and plugins for making nice dnb? (this is just a snippet from the middle of the track btw)

clyp.it/io5grmek

help

clyp.it/yn5dq3cn

How does this sound lads?

I personally enjoy minimal music, not sure if that's what you're going for but it needs at least one more layer desu .

help with what? find a sample then cut to your liking and loop it. you can also find another drum sample thatd layer great with it like extra percussion.

that's nice

oh yeah, its definitely minimal. I'm mostly just experimenting with panning, tones, and resonance; just whatever variations I can get in the plugins.

Nice nice. I really love minimal Japanese stuff like Nobukazu Takemura. I've tried to make some of my own but it never sounds right

What type of sound is most sad to you? A synth more resembling a flute, or more of a piano sound?

I need opinions.

mediafire.com/folder/b4drybgq9cbbc/MasterClass_-_deadmau5_Teaches_Electronic_Music_Production_[SaiKaT_B]

autism

clyp.it/jdx2t32x

Working on this remix, sort of dark vaguely Burial-ish, any feedback would be appreciated

Depends on context of course. In general though I would say piano

Thanks man

clyp.it/hs0zjhal

Just finished my first beat using a MS20. Been working on it for the past 2 days.

Feels much more methodical and planned out when you're working with a synthesizer.

tfw two intelligint to use only 1 daw

clyp.it/1x313vrj

what do you guys think of my cheesy little piano song?

If you could get only one, would you get the Korg minilogue or the monologue?

minilouge for polyphony if you can afford it

I'm using FL Studio to record some audio from my USB mic, but I keep having random audio dropouts during sessions, usually about a minute or so apart. Any idea what could be causing this?

Any thoughts?

Do you have a wireless network card installed and enabled?

This used to be an issue especially with laptops, specifically related to DPC spikes.

There's a tool that you can run to check for this - first link I found to it was on the TC Electronics forum so go there and DL it, then run it as admin:

forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/30/dpc-spike-checker-tool-for-pc/

I've recently upgraded all my shit and now my old mbox no longer works.
I'm thinking of getting this.
Any reason I shouldn't? I only record myself, one thing at a time so I don't need many inputs.

get the 2i2 instead
the solo only has unbalanced rca outputs

Lookin like they're trying to rob a bank with US president caricature masks on