/classical/ has a theme: youtube.com/watch?v=D0RrT6hMOgI

FAQ

>How do I into classical?
youtube.com/watch?v=O-Ud5HjzSbU

>Rec music by Bach
youtube.com/watch?v=jgR8yriJt7k

>Srsly now, rec Bach's masterpiece
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4991435DC2E3575C

>I'm 20yo. Can I still learn to play an instrument?
No, but you can probably fix your self-esteem issues with the help of a therapist.

>What composers were secret agents?
youtube.com/watch?v=C78HBp-Youk

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc
youtube.com/watch?v=pnLy31-Z7E4
youtube.com/watch?v=2w433wbM14Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FdDU4qwaI80
youtube.com/watch?v=oESzlizAafE
youtube.com/watch?v=C7jem-LgKgA
youtube.com/watch?v=D9MU1T6uDXA
youtube.com/watch?v=_s22fNJdICQ
youtube.com/watch?v=JNpxyjYPVUg
youtube.com/watch?v=Rtc6yJGgZkk
strawpoll.me/12058939
strawpoll.me/12059557
youtube.com/watch?v=3FalYfeKn3Q
youtube.com/watch?v=sDcw9XGAQNo
strawpoll.me/12044271/r
youtu.be/2kZASM8OX7s
youtube.com/watch?v=1I8lTTCzhwk
youtube.com/watch?v=eX9KG5BOc1I
youtube.com/watch?v=9unXavaZwMU
youtube.com/watch?v=euOu89d3npA
youtu.be/--WH9j11q8Y?t=492
youtube.com/watch?v=Ny1NfMjoY4c
youtu.be/G8lr5qb52C4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>fix your self-esteem issues with the help of a therapist
shill and ideology

Who's the Shmorky of classical?

Petzold

youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc
youtube.com/watch?v=pnLy31-Z7E4
youtube.com/watch?v=2w433wbM14Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FdDU4qwaI80
youtube.com/watch?v=oESzlizAafE
youtube.com/watch?v=C7jem-LgKgA
youtube.com/watch?v=D9MU1T6uDXA
youtube.com/watch?v=_s22fNJdICQ
youtube.com/watch?v=JNpxyjYPVUg

petzold

that's a lotta petzold

the answer to the poll is italy but it's not an option for some reason

youtube.com/watch?v=Rtc6yJGgZkk

>strawpoll.me/12058939
3. Great Britain.

This is a better poll. Lemme know what you think, /classical/:

strawpoll.me/12059557

strawpoll.me/12059557

strawpoll.me/12059557

let it be known that I voted against bernstein not for karajan

What's so repulsive about him for you?

could you imagine reddit not liking him

that's your reasoning? wow.

Might learn something from Bernie's lecturing.

post your daily mozart piece

youtube.com/watch?v=3FalYfeKn3Q

youtube.com/watch?v=sDcw9XGAQNo

Now this is how you play Mozart.

What would you change about classical concerts to make them more attractive to newer generations, assuming you have to do that to remain in business?

tiger rallys

nothing, let it die

death is better than simpsons syndrome

Where to start with Shostakovich?

The rubbish bin.

Don't you think going for the complete works would be overwhelming, though?

His meme symphonies. From what I've gathered the Preludes and Fugues are pretty accessible to Sup Forumsplebs, especially the ones in D major and B minor.
Move later on to the lesser known symphonies and the string quartets.

Listen to his string quartets. The symphonies aren't really worth it for the most part.

Add a rap section to each piece

Last poll results: strawpoll.me/12044271/r

But whose Requiem?

Mozart's

I think Verdi's is a bigger meme.

Just checked YT views. See for yourself.

That's just because Mozart's name is more famous. I think ultimately more people would recall having heard Verdi's Dies Irae before than Mozart's Lacrimosa.

>Verdi
>meme

comfirmed for plebius maximum

Disagree. Too many depressed teenagers jerk off to Lacrimosa.

Plus, the difference isn't subtle.

Verdi has multiple meme pieces (Nabucco, Rigoletto). No one is saying that they're bad.

Was it used in a really popular movie recently?

>I'm 20yo. Can I still learn to play an instrument?
>No
The answer is yes. You can learn an instrument at any age. Learning to play an instrument competently should only take you a year or two. Age isn't important.

Have more contemporary classical played, have interviews with the composers on TV and social media about their upcoming work.

With enough marketing you can sell anything, as proven by shit pop music.

I can assure you that that guy never visited any conservatory in his life. Late starter students (even in seemingly elitist courses such as piano and violin performances) are anything but uncommon. I can guarantee you that in most piano courses you will find at least a 50 years old.
I'll give him that the overwhelming majority started in their first infancy and that most people who try to become really good at playing classical instrument fail miserably. Only the talented make it, and to know wether you're talented or not will take you a few years of training.
It's a gamble, but it's always worth it.

I think it's just trolling because so many people ask the same stupid question.

The Classical culture needs to hop on the internet culture train better. They need to take advantage of youtube and twitch. This would need a good mix of education on the same level as Bernstein's Young People's Concerts to bring new people into an understanding of the music, and great musical content, with a sharp focus on high quality production, piece selections, and top names from the classical world.

You might be able to attract young generations by, and I hate to say this, mixing up the program with anime/film music transcriptions.
Also use social media platforms (also livestreams) for marketing and further more.
Just take a look at Lisitsas Youtube Channel subscription counter.

I'm not talking about playing at professional level, or conservatories. I'm talking about learning to play an instrument. OP simply stated that 20 is too old to learn an instrument, which is false.

Don't think so.

>education
Sure, there is a shockingly low amount of good, accessible and well edited lectures on youtube, and when it comes to music theory and compositions the video are amateurish at best.

>They need to take advantage of youtube and twitch.
Fuck no, classical music has to be listened live. Listening to it from youtube and twitch take out 99% of its charm. A Beethoven symphony listened on spotify can become boring, wich would never happen if you were there and the cellos were screaming at your soul.

I'm talking about playing at professional level in conservatories, and that's possible too even for late starters.
The mixture of attitudes and resources you have to have to excel are extremely rare. You basically have to talent, extremely strong work ethic, no responsability whatsoever, wether it is a financial or a personal one, and the willpower to dedicate most of your life to the instrument.
If you have all of these perks your age simply doesn't matter. If you're an extremely smart person with no obligation and decent dexterity and you can sit in front of your piano for 10 hours everyday for the rest of your life then there is no way you won't become a great virtuoso.

I know this isn't completely related but does anyone think if it would be possible to learn to play this song and songs like it without a teacher

youtu.be/2kZASM8OX7s

Yup.

New music, written by people who are still alive, that's of our current time and not so overwhelmed with academic concepts and ideas that people can actually follow most of it with out reading a paper on it.

>I'm talking about playing at professional level in conservatories
fuck off then, thats not what me and OP are talking about.

I think that there should be some sort of movement in order to teach music appreciation to the masses. I'm pretty sure that most people are not really aware of what an orchestra or a grand piano really sounds like. They have heard the timbre on youtube videos, but they can't really picture the concert experience.
Besides, I don't think that classical music will ever become as popular as it was at the beginning of this century. The appreciation for that music was rooted in a very specific kind of bourgeoise mindset, and that mindset is dead.
Middle class and rich people don't care anymore about classical music, literature, philosophy and visual arts. Those values, wich were ones general, are now lost, wich means that classical music will be only listened by the conoisseurs (exception done for those tracks that become famous cause of advertisements, movies, etc.).
tl;dr: it's a lost cause

Yes but you'll probably develop bad habits if you had violin in mind.

OP refers to the people who always ask if they can become piano virtuosos in their 20s-30s.

I think user meant they need to take advantage of the social media to encourage people to attend performances. Have interviews, demos, etc.
Many contemporary composers do take advantage of these elements, as well as posting performances on youtube etc.

He should have specified that. As is, he's just spreading falsities. And his cartoon composer pics are cringe-worthy.

>I think user meant they need to take advantage of the social media to encourage people to attend performances.
It would be a big compromise, imho. Rubinstein never had to resort to shitty interviews made by hip millenials. I think that classical music should remain austere and not cave in to capitalistic pressure, since when you do it you get this:
youtube.com/watch?v=1I8lTTCzhwk

>Many contemporary composers do take advantage of these elements
Let's be honest here too: many contemporaty composers can't excert any kind of charme over people who are not-initiated to modern classical music (aka everyone but trained classical musicians).
I don't think that many composers would benefit from this, and I'm pretty sure that most of the reactions will be on the line of ''IS THIS MUSIC? LOL''. Not a constructive experience.

If you've been playing violin for a number of years than maybe. That man has very good intonation and the tune seems you need to be really in tune to play it.

Best way to teach music appreciation is to just teach music, like make band classes non-elective. People are shockingly ignorant and tone deaf and have very low standards for musicianship. That's probably why everybody is fixated on timbres or textures.

>it would be possible to learn to play this song
Sure, that guy has good technique, but it is doable for an amateur. In 2 years you will probably get to a point where you will be able to play it without scratching every 2 seconds.

>without a teacher
no way.

This. OP is an idiot, but at least his advice to get into classical music by listening to Mo's K1 was spot-on.

Did you guys read "The Noise of Time"

Novelization of his life (labored under Stalin etc)

Pretty intredasting. The book kind of has a structure that references his music as well.

>since when you do it you get this:
no. Interviews are interesting and should be taken advantage of. People like to see the method behind the music. Dont worry too much about the image, people usually expect composers to be grizzled old men, so they move on and focus on the music. Most contemporary composers are at least well spoken, and often lecturers or professors so they know how to structure a talk and hold peoples attention.

More like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=eX9KG5BOc1I

Too bad that learning music is hard. It's not something that you do with a few youtube lectures. It actually entails hundred of hours of guided study+ear training+lots of contemplation on what you've learnt, and that's just to be minimally competent.
I've seen similar pursuits in other academic fields. The most notable one on youtube is philosophy. You can find tons of material, but you will quickly find out that it's all badly summarized, biased trash and that you nothing beats books and individual thinking.
Classical music popularized content may be a decent form of income for struggling musicians, but I'm sure that it will ultimately be harmful.

I'm not imagining a world where everyone is a skilled recitalist. I just want to live in a society where I can say something basic like "this note is C4" and no one reacts with "that was cringey." It's not hard to learn simple stuff like reading sheet music. Maybe then classical wouldn't be lambasted as pretentious constantly.

It's easy to read easy scores, but no amateur can read an hard score and make sense out of it. That requires lots of ear training.
The problem with music theory is that its basics are not really fundamental to classical music. You can learn about the circle of fifths, but you will never be able to use it while listening to Brahms.
I will give you that basic music education will greatly enhance the appreciation for popular music.

What do you think of Anna Netrebko's music video? Should DG have put more effort into this or made more of them?
youtube.com/watch?v=9unXavaZwMU

>tfw modern media is all aesthetic ugly
Damn, I hate the 21th century.

How many first timers will watch a 1 hour Ferneyhough interview? Regardless, academic lectures are already extremely common on youtube.
They're useless, considering that we were talking about initiating younger generations to classical music. To catch them you need effective videos, and you know how that works. You will need to keep it short, you will have to sensationalize everything and in the end no one will really learn anything and people will just parrot the same 3 or 4 facts on Sup Forums and reddit. It is a dead end, and it won't actually result in true appreciation for art music.
I hate to sound so elitist, but I think that the classical music world should not pander to the uneducated masses. The ones that are drawned by it naturally will eventually end up listening to orchestras. There is no other way around it.

yeah, it turns into the kind of shit someone posted here the other day, this lang lang performance of moonlight sonata in some goddamn arena with fangirls screaming through the entire music

has anyone mentioned the lang lang video yet

Here

>not cave in to capitalistic pressure
>this isn't already the case
lmao @ yr 'life'

Why? Artists who sell out are usually shunned by the entire artistic community. No serious musician will ever take her youtube.com/watch?v=euOu89d3npA seriously, even if she's making shitload of money by playing the most famous Bach piece of music while half naked.
That austerity is still present, and the process of selling out is anything but evident. The worst you can say about orchestras is that maybe they play Beethoven a bit too much, but the extent of pandering ends there.
That integrity is somehow still intact.

Why is confutatis the best part of mozart's requiem?

qt
youtu.be/--WH9j11q8Y?t=492

>people shun sellouts who don't fit in with what they themselves are selling so it's not capitalist
purest

>be me
>17th December 2017
>live in Rome
>go to Vatican City to listen to the Missa Solemnis by Bethoven in the most beautiful location imaginable (just in front of the St. Paul cathedral)
>cry like a bitch for 40 minutes
literally the most intense experience in my life, and I've dabbled with lots of drugs.

Most composers are not selling out, and the fact that there is currently literally no internationally famous composer is the proof of that.

You should try listening to Burial at a McDonald's on a rainy night, bro.

we weren't even talking about composers specifically and also your proof is retarded

>17th December 2017
right on, so the world doesn't go to complete shit?

>17th December 2017

Yeah so whenever you can you should let me use your time machine so I can go back and try fix my life k thx

>the fact that no composer penetrated the real mass media market is not proof of the fact that serious composers are not selling out

Its just an example of interviews done right. In a concise form, with simple language it would easily be enough to convince young people to attend. If you target the right audience, and with enough marketing you can sell anything, including seats in a classical concert.

indeed

I almost never see old music here. Saw this group last night in the National Cathedral in D.C., almost cried. I haven't listened to pre-Baroque in a long time and I always forget just how organically beautiful music was before form started dominating everything. Come to think of it, I almost never see choral music posted here, what gives?

youtube.com/watch?v=Ny1NfMjoY4c

How meme is it for the conductor to involve the audience?
youtu.be/G8lr5qb52C4

It's a great interview for people who are already interested to hear what Ferneyhough has to say. I'm not arguing against that.
What I'm arguing against is dumbing down classical music to make it more accessible. It may bring you to sell more tickets, but it will bring worse audiences to your concert, and if you're a contemporary composer you will be pretty sure that none of those newcomers will possibly have the mindset and the knowledge to even begin to understand what you're doing.

At best you can hope to popularize even more classical and romantic music, but there is no way you're going to create any sort of cult of amateurs with Ferneyhough 5 minutes videos.

My opinion on the matter has always been the same: the perfect way to finance art music is through government patronage. There will be some flaws (maybe linked to the fact that most bureaucrats who will interact with new composers will actually be ignorant) but it's the best compromise we've got to preserve the true aesthetic of concerts.

disgusting/10

Everyone likes clapping, not just Americans. The audience all clap along to those Vienna new year's concerts.

You to use the language your target audience will understand. call it dumbing down, call it "making things accessible" I think it would be a good way to bring people into the classical sphere. Just a 2 minute interview with a composer once a week in the news would do wonders to get people involved. You dont have to dumb it down, just let a normie interview a composer and ask them questions about their upcoming works. Composers like I said are often lecturers and know how to simplify without seeming patronizing.

Someone asked for ways to get new people along to classical concerts, concise interviews with composers about upcoming pieces is one way.

Essentially classical would just need exposure, eventually you'll get to the point where even a normie could say "oh yeah Ferneyhough, he's so crazy" and listen to him talking for a bit. Maybe not an hour, but at least for 2 - 5 minutes.

It couldn't hurt to have the general public at least be aware classical music still exists. As it is, they think metal is the new classical.

>implying classical music and concerts' popularity have somehow decreased
>implying worthless teenagers who only listen to shit-tier EDM and pop are worth worrying about

>You to use the language your target audience will understand.
What I'm saying is that that kind of advertisement is not propedeutic to true appreciation. You will just end up with the classical music equivaent of people who always spout those 3 things they know about pop physics, without obviously being able to say anything worthwhile about it. I'd rather not have that public.
>Just a 2 minute interview with a composer once a week in the news would do wonders to get people involved
There is no famous composer that is making music that directly caters to the masses. The trend is actually the inverse: most modern music is completely uncomprehensible unless you have a really strong, formal education.
Exposing amateurs to artists such as Ferneyrough will just end up in more hatred towards postmodernism and an unilateral request for more canonical, classical music.
You can't really dumb down the crowd without dumbing down the actual contents. Such interviews may be effective for a bit, but they will eventually become material consumed only by the people who are already appreciating this music.
As I've said earlier, these tactics can be used only to popularize even further baroque, classical and romantic composers. We still shouldn't do it because the potential drawback would be dramatic.

>Essentially classical would just need exposure, eventually you'll get to the point where even a normie could say "oh yeah Ferneyhough, he's so crazy" and listen to him talking for a bit. Maybe not an hour, but at least for 2 - 5 minutes.
But then would you listen to his 50 minutes string quartets? When you have such radical composers it is virtually sure that you will end up with secondary contents (interviews and behind the scenes) more popular than the primary ones (the composition themselves).

>You will just end up with the classical music equivaent of people who always spout those 3 things they know about pop physics
They'll still come along to the show though, and its better than nothing. Not everyone in the audience has to be an art music aficionado, the same way not everyone in a film audience needs to know how lenses work of the history of cinema.

This was simply a way of giving classical more exposure (which I dont really think is necessary, concerts are already packed where I live, including plenty of young people). No need to get uppity and feel like we're dumbing down classical for the masses. Simply a suggestion that classical could do with more exposure. Eventually people will become accustomed to classical and 20th century music wont seem so unknown to them. They'll recognize living composers and come along to their concerts.

>There is no famous composer that is making music that directly caters to the masses
Incorrect. Plenty are catering to wide audiences. Jenkins, Part, Enaudi, etc. Not to mention film and game composers who also do concert pieces.

>You can't really dumb down the crowd without dumbing down the actual contents.
Never suggested we should dumb down the crowd, simply that classical could have more exposure.

>these tactics can be used only to popularize even further baroque, classical and romantic composers
Not when you're purely interviewing contemporary composers.

Rec your favorite piece for a solo instrument.

Exclude pianos, as they're common here.