/daily/ - 'Still Suckin on them Dicks' edition

It's probably January.

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Most importantly, listen to good music for a change.

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/capricanno/national-prayer
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/walt_dickerson/to_my_queen/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

succ on this

8===D

good op pic

ehehehh its a benis XD

soundcloud.com/capricanno/national-prayer

>tfw getting drunk with memeball
Y'all are all great people /daily/! Hope you're having as much fun as I am

i'm quite hungover from getting really drunk at a punk show last night. Saw Orden Mundial from Mallorca who were really great, and Idiota Civilizzato from Berlin who were quite good as well. Also saw a local band Halshug - pretty boring imo.
Now i'm listening to Belle and Sebastian and about to make puttanesca for my gf and me
nice sunday

Puttanesca is a really funny word

I should go to more shows desu

Reinbert De Leeuw - Early Piano Works (Erik Satie)

Fantastic recordings, a little less space to breathe than the 90's recordings (particularly Gnossiennes) but fantastic nonetheless.
The B side is fantastic - I think the version of Petite ouverture à danser might be my favourite yet.

8.0 /10

Pascal Rogé - Piano Works (Ravel)

Passionate playing and good pacing make for some great recordings.
The compositions are usually intriguing but can get a little meandering at times and occasionally loses the feeling or emotional connection with the piece. Will have to relisten.

7.0 /10

>using fantastic 3 times in two sentences
le mao I should give up on writing

yeah shows are the best. my friend was DJing after the bands and it ended up as a big ol' dance party.

maybe you should give up on living :)

when you lowkey writing a book and it's pretty biographical and you have stories about the people you know but you scared that they won't like being written about

how to solve this issue

>maybe you should give up on living :)
Not until I rate your new album a 0.5

kill them all

you gonna take this shit btw

Ask their permission, or give less fucks.
I recommend the latter.

Pull a DFW and plot how to murder them

>>>implying

have already given them psuedonyms, some of which have special significance, like my three best friends are have the affectionate names for the Karamazov Brothers which actually tells you a bit about their personalities

is that dumb? I feel like that's dumb. I had this idea that when the friendship breaks down I would reveal the narrator's name as either Rodion or Raskolnikov, that sounds pretty dumb
it's not all written yet, most of it is up in the air and it is probably in dire need of editing but it tries to engage with the reader without the use of a fourth wall

well, yes, got a copy before christmas and read it in 2 days, It's super good and I'd be lying if I said it didn't influence my decision to write a book
I'm not telling the same story btw

report them to the equality police and have them sent to gulag

I feel it's more an issue of confidence betrayal, like some things that are meaningful to me and inform the meaning of the text were told in confidence

I probably need a clear direction to write about

>I'm not telling the same story btw
I fugg'd'em

I don't know these characters but I feel like it's always cooler when books allude to other works rather than a direct connection.

well yeah, I'm just saying pull a Karl and just publish your book anyway and let your friends and family get pissed off at you for writing about them

Running on little sleep in an effort to reset my sleep pattern for 8:30 class tomorrow; if I can't string together thoughts or I do dumb things that's probably why.

how did that quote sneak into my first reply

What Mahavishnu Orchestra album should I listen to first? I like fusion and jazz, but I've yet to check them out.

Do you keep in contact with these people still? I'd write the whole thing and then send it to them for their blessing and approval before 'publishing'.
Seems like a pseudonym is good enough in protecting them but it's easier to be safe in case they object to stuff after it's released.

good fugg

And I have read The Brothers Karamazov you dweeb, maybe I can skip the Raskolnikov shit but the names themselves emphasise fraternity, which is what I want to do

This is probably true, I will still change the names because politeness
If anything I depricate myself more than anything, the entire intended first part is about my history of drinking
I need to be clever about writing this because I've rambled on for about 5000 words

yes, we're quite good friends, I've said plenty of good stuff, although I think my best friend would object to his history of drug abuse being summarized to the reader as he told it to me, pseudonym or not
I would have plausible deniability?

RYM's image server is dead

Update soon?

This is a meme now, right

Monogamy or polygamy please choose it's for research or whatever

heres a rare chrigo

tentatively, monogamy

Jaap Blonk / Koichi Makigami / Paul Dutton / Phil Minton / David Moss - Five Men Singing
>Vocal, Free Improvisation, Live Recording

Experience the sound of five grown men having a collective stroke for over an hour! Wow!

(It's actually pretty freakish interesting stuff, or if you're not into the avant-garde free improv shite then what these guys are doing should at least be impressive [not that being impressive should have much to do with enjoyment, but that's beside the point]. This is avant-garde at it's best, in my opinion: when it doesn't take itself too seriously. Like, for real. Most of the performance is Looney Toon voice-sounds, air escaping balloons, growling, or screeching--"extended technique" as they say in the business. These guys are rarely singing, which makes the title nicely ironic. Actually, there seems to be an entire performance aspect to the thing outside the audio [this is a live recording btw] as the audience will occassionally laugh or give a round of applause. Anyway, when the guys do inject singing though, amidst the chaos, the results are sublime. An intriguing listen, but one I admittedly do not see myself returning to. I'd be so into a more structured performance from the same-ish group of guys though.)

7-/10

Album is pretty dope. Instrumental Samba/MPB on paper, this string-and-flute-centric quartet comes off more Third Stream than anything, incorporating heavy classical and traditional jazz arrangements and elements.
The piece seems to evolve every two bars, never staying stagnant and always progressing in a meaningful direction.
The sparse feel and composed nature may not appeal to jazz purists, but I can't fault it for what it is, and it's great.

7.5 /10

(album is Quarteto Nôvo - s/t)

thanks for something, co

thanks for nothing, everyone else

>all these tripfags
thank god i never come to these threads

but you just did

damn...

McCoy Tyner - Sahara

"Dude eastern influences lmao"
A good album, if a little confused and disjointed.
Seems like a big ol' mix bowl of ideas and influences without much continuity between them.
Good individual playing from the musicians, though Tyner's flute playing is bad.

6.5 /10

I feel like listening to some warm nice jazz tonight.
Shoot a rec.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/walt_dickerson/to_my_queen/

what if i shoot u instead
*bang bang*

yeah, wouldn't wanna be stuck around those bozos amirite

Morphine - Good
[1992]

There are plenty features on this record that could make one scream for masterpiece - the most obvious one is the dizzyingly sensual sax riffs; after that come the bass and the singer's attitude and lyrics - all these have a deeply cool, charismatic air to them. Because that's what this record is about: being cool, and they succeed without being too corny (most of the time).
Im still not sold on all of it but, I can say it's definitely good.

thanks!

I wouldn't do that if I were you.

>I can say it's definitely good

*bang bang bang*

now you've done it!

Back from holidays, did I miss anything important?
Nearly 30 degrees temperature difference is a bitch, I'm freezing my ass off right now. I saw some kind of march of orthodox boy scouts in Bethlehem a few days ago, they had pretty cool music with interesting percussion and lots of bagpipes. Cool stuff.

The Savage Young Taterbug - Boys of the Feather
>Hypnagogic Pop, Lo-fi, Now Age, Power Ambient

A 20 minute tape, on the Night People tape label in 2009, that really puts the hypnagogic in hypnagogic pop: repetitive awkward lullabies that’ll put you right to sleep. It wouldn’t be quite so bad—the melodies themselves are fine and actually faintly mesmerizing—if the loops for each 2-5 minute song weren’t two seconds long (sometimes with strange muttering, moaning, and cooing smeared over).

Occasionally The Savage Young Taterbug, Charles Free, will bust out his songwriting chops and trusty chord organ for a painfully demented impression of already-demented-enough Daniel Johnston. The recording equipment (presumably a toaster or something lmao) makes quick work of Free’s voice, rendering it a warbling garbled mess. The singing is pained and pretty emotional-sounding, and the intent of the rarely discernible lyrics is probably emotion: “I just got wind of who you’ve been kissing”, “I hope she doesn’t go missing”, 2x “we’re gonna stay together”.

It’s at least an interesting early artifact of the lo-fi tape label craze thats dominated the 2000s and 2010s underground, but hardly that amazing a listen.

6-/10

More Taterbug reviews forthcoming

you mean the craze that is still happening
I have friends who give out personalised recordings on tape at concerts.

saw this artist posted in a thread of obscure 10/10s might check them out

Hampus outed himself as a woman hater, nyar got taste, SDC is a political prisoner in Armenia, Shamepai got a sex change, Tuco got kicked in the balls by a kangaroo, and Bear became the meanest bully on Sup Forums.

I can believe everything but the last one.

You're absolutely right, should be "dominated the 2000s and continues to dominate the 2010s" or something

also rod FUCKEN died :'0

>working part time
>working two days in a row on the fucking weekend
>have other shit to do
kill me

at least I get to slice deli meat n cheese
I better not get some polish pricks who want me to slice 600g of thin sliced prosciutto baka

Fish became a normie and left
Rod is gone until February
Sleepy Donkey Chaser is MIA, probably got lost on a Hungarian train or something

What is /daily/ going to major in/majoring in?

as of right now, computer science, but this could easily change at any time

To My Queen is exactly what I was looking for hearing. Maybe if it got warmer it would be even better.

Any good animation shorts close to the ones by Jan Lenica? Been liking those.

Computer Science

comp sci meme

fun day

the inner mounting flame, their first and best.

haha nerds

political science haha meme le trumpe

ay don't joke about kangaroos mate they can punch through solid steel

Just look at this fucker, cunt's jacked

Psychology for now. Medicine later.

Kangaroo arms are folded over 1000 times and made of glorious nippon steel they can cut throguh bullits

memes
I'm failing every class

Nothing; I sell sweet corn in the summer and write erotic novels for lesbian book clubs in the winter.

A fully grown kangaroo if attacked, will lean back on its tail and using its hind legs, disembowel its prey in seconds
If a man were to fight a Kangeroo, he would be immediately killed

swaggy fucker

>Robert Fripp is posting Jojo memes on his Facebook page

Reality isn't real anymore.

The Savage Young Taterbug - River Mortis
>Hypnagogic Pop, Lo-fi, Now Age, Power Ambient

A soupy, smeared mess of hypnagogic pop tape loops, lo-fi distortion, brief and unsuccessful attempts at singer-songwriting, and gray noise aplenty. A step down from the last release, makes the first EP seem positively lively.

Besides the nearly indie rock (still recorded with a toaster tho lmao) performance at the very beginning of Side A, the curiously titled “If He Was a River and I Was a Duck, I’d Swim to the Bottom and Never Come Up”, nothing on here stands out much. The weird riverboat band ditty on the same side was also curious though.

4+/10

Hey look I made it through a review without using any em dashes

business, hotel administration, real estate
excellent

I feel like you could do a sick Arto Lindsay or David Byrne costume.

Literature and History

Well back to music I guess.

>Jorge Ben - Forca bruta
>MPB, Samba-Rock, Samba Soul

I enjoyed this a lot. Very consistent set of songs, none of them stood out as being bad. Nothing here really amazed me either, unfortunately. But nonetheless a very solid record that I could see grow on me with repeated listens.

>damn so many good guys that are dead
I'd come back if /daily/ hadn't somehow gotten even worse.

whoops forgot to turn my trip on D:

based

Babes...

Is he happy on the back cover?

graduated with a finance degree 3 years ago

Knew you'd love it

doggo gotta ask, does it get any easier?

life in general? yes, depending on how much effort yo put in college and the first 2 years of work. Just get through the shit for a lengthy period of chill.

who is artanis

neu

not new just stopped paying attention to anything going on in mu

five years ago?
he's an oldtrip, he was around even before that, I don't know since when. he stopped posting last year if I remember correctly

still posts in /daily/ very rarely, last post was a month ago tho

another day, another dick

>only one dick per day
>daily

WHICH ONE NEXT THOUGH

Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance