/lang/ - Language learning thread

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/5Y8Zj4N
discord.gg/WRt3U59
t.me/joinchat/AAAAAED3UIA8Fczdptm1RA
duolingo.wikia.com/wiki/Immersion,
imzy.com/glossopoeia
miresperanto.com/konkurentoj/not_my_favourite.htm
radio.garden/live/stockholm/radionacka/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

We should make our own language; speak it; then teach it to others.

who /english-only/ here?

me

i am only good at english

you're an embarrassment

I'm interested in japanese, but I don't freaking know even how to start.

Also french, but I'm having a hard time finding motivation to it.

You guys should try something new. Being able to speak another language is super cool, I must say. Also the learning process can be quite enjoyable.

anybody else here is a serious self learner?

When do you study?

i am trying

Anons of Sup Forums made an effort to create their own language numerous times, but sadly none of those projects were ever finished, thus they settled on lojban for now.

I plan on learning Italian

Stick with Spanish.

why?

Will probably have to learn French for work

Is duolingo a meme or can it actually help you learn the basics of a language?

It's somewhere in the middle.If you are really serious about it you can learn a lot.If you are just going through the thing like it's a game then you won't learn much.

I have to brush my German up since I learned it at school and yet I've forgotten almost everything. Besides I'm interested in French, Spanish. And in a couple of years I am planning to apply some Japan's language school (hoping it comes out well)

it really suck at explaining grammar.
I bought an actual german grammar book because I couldn't understand shit with there explaination.

what you workin as?

Don't you know about nigerians princes?

thats what i wanted to know
but i hoped hed fall for my b8

How can I tackle that piece of shit arab writing system?

Well, I know how to write/read in arabic (Lebanese parents), so I don't see it as something complex, it's pretty easy if you ask me. To be honest with you, the writing system is the minor problem you got.

I don't recommend you to learn arabic, srsly.

Is there any way that people in this thread can talk with each other like a discord or a Teamspeak?

yes there is the potential

Yes. If someone sets up a discord.

reddit.com/r/LearnLojban

I'm attempting to learn Japanese but I don't know where to start. Any advice?

i dont want to set up a discord but i have this Teamspeak
keep in mind that the server is temporary due to exploitation of the kicking system
>193.105.206.177:9988
Everyone can create a channel

Here is the server for the Sajem Tan language:

discord.gg/5Y8Zj4N

Some anons made a telegram group to practise together if they are learning the same language or help those whom learn your native tongue.
We also made a discord group with channels in French, Russian, German and others. We are looking for more people in several languages
If anyone is interested: discord.gg/WRt3U59

Forgot to add that if anyone is interested in entering the telegram should message the admin: @sebastian081
We've currently two Germans, one polish, three Russians, a Croat, a Romanian, two Brazilians and a Indian

cheers

My two foreign languages (outside of school Spanish which I’m not even trying to be good at) are German and Faroese. I already speak good German but I just started with Faroese.

Eg kann ikki skriva nógv á foroyskum men eg vil bota so eg skrivi her og hopi, at eg komi at skriva, lesa, og tosa godt foroyskt. Eg læri í fýra dagar, so foroyska mítt er rættiliga ógodt (eg havi glómt orðið for “bad” ella eg havi ikki lærið tað, so “ógóður” má ganga her :Þ) Eg provi at skriva eina dagbók á foroyskum for at bota skrivkunnleika mín, men tað kann ikki hjálpa um eg veit ikki um hvat eg skriva er godt ella ógodt foroyskt.

Please correct my faroese!

Apparently all my crossed Os were turned into normal Os. I know I wrote proeva and boeta correctly.

They removed a lot of the features that made it good when people originally jumped on the Duolingo bandwagon. It’s turning itself into a piece of shit because Luis von Anh doesn’t seem to quite grasp what makes a good language learning site or has just gone insane

This seems like the only guy right now who can help you here

eroge erryday

自見, 自殺也。

死ね

Yeah, lesser known languages are hard to find help for.

Hi guise how are you today i was learning italian but after i while i cant see the point anymore

I can help with spanish (neutral spanish)

What features have they removed?

t.me/joinchat/AAAAAED3UIA8Fczdptm1RA

They recently got rid of Immersion duolingo.wikia.com/wiki/Immersion, which was really the only feature which was meant for more advanced learners. They also seem to have got rid of most of the social features, and in their stead put “clubs” which are essentially useless, and “chatbots” which are restrictive and ultimately no more, if not less, helpful than Duo’s standard lessons.

Basically it’s gone downhill from a decent language learning and social site to a site for children who want to be able to impress their mommies by saying “apple” in Spanish.

Whats that croata?

Sup Forums doesn't recognize the scandinavian ö.

I just tested it on Sup Forums, wrote a bunch of crossed os and they showed up.

Hooo i see is like an app, the thing is that i lost my phone a week ago, i was like super drunk sorry

Oh, then it's just on this board. We always complain about it in /norgetråden/ anyway. Not sure they show up on /fit/ either.

It’s just weird because it can do the obscure characters like ð þ just fine, but not the slash O.

>tfw finially finihshed learning the devanagari alphabet

Can finally start learning words in hindi.

My Dutch is fluent and Chinese intermediate

>he only knows three languages

Trumpland wishes you good luck

Dutch is basically simplified german with an anglo twist though.

lol not really. although it is very close to German. I can think of German dialects that are less similar than Dutch to Hochdeutsch

tell me

heavy schwizerdüütsch can be pretty much gibberish, but I find dutch to more often than not be understandable (remember my german is also kidna shitty)

thats true,
Swiss students learn hochdeutsch at their school for a first language just so they dont drift off into their own seperate one
i wouldnt say that dutch is easier to understand tho, at least for me

idk words like kommen vs komen vs “cho”. Dutch words are often fairly close to German.

b

Why does russian have such an interesting country(ies) with so many speakers, with fascinating history and current events yet also be a completely shit language?

coi sefsi be lo ka ce'u jungau fo lo se .admine be ce'u

What means "sefsi"?

It's the best language you git.

why do you think it's shit?

why are most conlangs so ugly looking and sounding?

Because they’re made up by people who don’t have a clue what they’re doing, or are following an extremely distorted view of what makes a language look and sound “good”.

Because opinions are subjective and a lot of people actually think Russian sounds nice, cool, etc.

What’s your thought on mine, Ieredenkátos (Yeredic)?

Érol kátcjoijeoma nom

imzy.com/glossopoeia

Off the conlangs reddit sub:

Gumɴᴀs báiranda frei ɴᴀuH es bindanda sinstaths.

Ɦar vɛrut rɦudgnosuilnatgutɦfɛtɦyr.

neeriash udriok iet dvaarash nedaarech sri neeriash vok tai shenaaresh bach

Qolisop kydö y-sulë tî mithash y-fybanna

Rhgandësan val kovula, kor dhmeretš sësan ydhötirhde zënhijerde.

These are pretty atrocious looking.

The last two look pretty good.

I guess I’ll give you those two.

>Ɦar vɛrut rɦudgnosuilnatgutɦfɛtɦyr.
wew, I can't tell if that's the actual orthography or a weird IPA transcription.

It wasn’t in /slæʃɨz/ or [brɛkʰəts] so I’m left to assume it is orthography.

If I were to design an orthography for that mess, it would look like:

har verut rhudgnosuilnatguthfelhür

nope that looks just as shitty

He also didn’t explain how that glosses and translates to “Man is born free, but is still everywhere in chains” (all those conlangs up there are translations of that sentence)

>esperanto
miresperanto.com/konkurentoj/not_my_favourite.htm

Thankfully, the spread and success of Esperanto in China disproves pretty much all of those points.

4ĉana esperant-fado estus bona ne? mi faros unu Sup Forumse

Most of the article was talking about it's inconsistencies though, it only really talks about number of speakers or whatever near the start.

And yet, it is still the most successful non-coerced auxiliary language.

that doesn't mean much

1 hour every day

I do a 30 minute pimsleur during my drive home, and a 30 minute Assimil lesson at home.

Learned French and Spanish that way.

I feel like most people here are.
I do about 80-90 minutes most day during breaks at school/work and before/after. Some days I just don't have time though, so it probably averages out to about 1 hour.

If I wasn't working as well as school, I would probably do at least 2 hours a day.

I don't know anyone who speaks german and don't have the social skills to talk to people regardless, if I'm just learning out of interest am I going to be fine?

I still don't understand spanish Bs and Vs becuase duolingo they're all over the place with pronunciation. I don't really get how Yo is sometimes pronounced Jo/cho??? Also when I heard naranjo there was a weird emphasis at the end that added an extra hard sound. I think I got ll down though

Made my first foreign language shitpost

Spanish B and V are pronounced exactly the same. At the beginning of a word they’re pronounced B and in the middle of a word they’re pronounced similar to V but not exactly the same.

Yo/cho/jo/sho are all dialectal variations, and I’m not sure what accent Duolingo’s voice has.

Esperantaj fadenoj en Sup Forums ĉiam mortas kun malpli ol 30 respondoj

~1.5 hours of anki in the morning
~1 hour of tv in the evening
20-40 minutes of podcasts in the target language while lying in bed with the lights off before I pass out

Being in school helps a lot since it means I can get the anki part done and shower and shit, then worry about real life shit. If I'm busy I just don't watch tv that day.

damn you're better than me. i don't even do half that

B and V have the same sound.

The correct word is "yo". I recommend you to learn the "normal" (as a way of saying) Spanish because in that case everyone can understand you. "Sho" "Io" "cho" are regionalisms. They're good to know them for knowing about how people in a special area or zone say something in a different way though.

Sorry for my English

I'd spend more time learning English if I didn't spend lot of my time studying for university ;_;

your english is quite good my man

Who here /learning swedish/?

radio.garden/live/stockholm/radionacka/

Chill Swedish radio where they speak clear and songs aren't raping your soul.