Accents And Dialects

hey Sup Forums !
What dialect do you speak? What are the major differences between your dialect and the official language?
>your cunt's lang
>what is your dialect or accent? give examples on it's pronunciation !

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jt_uHE22cLA
gotoquiz.com/results/what_american_accent_do_you_have
nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html
youtu.be/6aNDpVOWJjo
youtube.com/watch?v=i4kHfWTpmW4
youtube.com/watch?v=btEpF334Rtc
youtube.com/watch?v=5JxsOeMcbXU
youtube.com/watch?v=Lt5GsfNcDzA
urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chicano
vocaroo.com/i/s0fpiVT0lL76
vocaroo.com/i/s1JFSq7Q5lYN
vocaroo.com/i/s17GVrRUDN0v
youtu.be/Pmi0XqTlEY8
youtu.be/fUezvds3MFE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

a big BUMP
youtube.com/watch?v=Jt_uHE22cLA

Not sure. I live in the south, but because my family's all northern transplants, i don't have the characteristic accent.

I speak NW dialect but know the intermediate (lingua franca) dialect.Our dialects are really different.Actually NorthEast gheg and cham tosk are more different than Italian and Catalonian

Anyone have a good U.S. Accent test? I used gotoquiz.com/results/what_american_accent_do_you_have and I want to see what Euros get.

The NYT one was really good

Moved around a lot as a kid so this makes sense

nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

there is literally no difference between Pacific Southwest and Pacific Northwest in terms of dialect or accent

>Burgers think theirs are dialects
Come back after a millennium and we'll talk

>san francisco urban

also called "chinese"

hmmm

I speak Runglish youtu.be/6aNDpVOWJjo

apperently my result is midland with 85%

here in the US, i don't think we really have different dialects, i think "accent" is the word you're looking for.

i speak eastern polish i guess

literary polish sounds artificial and robotic

We have southern, western, and northern dialects. There are some sub categorical dialects which fit into these, but the truly bizarre dialects are dying out with new generation. You're more likely to find Spanglish speakers than Cajun.

My mom speak reunionese creole (it sound like that youtube.com/watch?v=i4kHfWTpmW4 ) and my dad a little bit of Corsican. I don't speak any of those language/dialects tho'

>New York

oy

They really aren't dialects.
However, my accent is closest to a Guildford accent

I speak Scaninan, the only non-fag Swedish dialect.

>Scanian

Objectively the worst Swedish dialect. Almost as bad as D*nish

PNW has more vocal fry and certain terms and usages that are only local to the area.

Plus the fact that Mary/marry/merry all sound alike in addition to cot/caught

I don't really have a dialect, but I speak in a West Country accent.
The main difference between us and the rest of England is that we keep the r's in our words (e.g. saying 'car' instead of 'cah').

youtube.com/watch?v=btEpF334Rtc

LOL thats awesome

I guess Coastal Southern.

I was born in Mexico, but people never mention me having a typical Mexican accent. I once called a friend that lived in Minnesota and she said I sounded country as fuck, I dont hear it though.

Yes. Did not say otherwise

youtube.com/watch?v=5JxsOeMcbXU

I unironically thought it was some inbred american apelachian farmer dialect when i first heard it

CHI

Dublin Hiberno-English, my accent sounds like a middle class Conor McGregor or more simply, pretty much exactly like his coach John Kavanagh

>Durham

No idea what that's about, I was raised in Cali.

?????????????? they aren't all different species????

Negatory ghost rider

It's referring to this thing.

You say that, but quite a few people who settled in the Appalachians came from the West Country.

It also has to do with the fact that R-deletion started taking place in most of the UK *after* American colonization.

West country dialects, like the majority of american dialects did not undergo R-deletion hence they sound similar.

I'm from Olympia Washington so

It's pretty accurate

Okay I really don't fucking care about Anglos actually
Can somebody else come and talk about their dialect ?

Raised in Michigan, moved to Indiana 20 years ago, moved back to Michigan last year

our dialect (kampens from the city of kampen), like many dutch city dialects was FRENCH'D, which is evident from H-deletion at the beginning of the word and the French R as opposed to a rolling r.

>Minnesota
youtube.com/watch?v=Lt5GsfNcDzA

Crawdads live in the crick, not crayfish live in the creek

That's rude

>tfw no dialects
>tfw speaking the most boring language ever

what happened? was it communism?

Do you know what Chicano means?

kek

>a competing regions thread

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

what's your dialect you fucking frog answer me before i run you over with a truck

i think it's always been like that
it's just weird how you travel from kaliningrad to vladivostok for over 10000km and it's all sounds the same

What's the problem? Since you were born in Mexico I'm more than willing to bet you're of Mexican origin

>your dialect
French Parisian.
Where is your truck now?

hmmmmm

>Where is your truck now?
check your mother's bedroom
>>French Parisian.
oh and don't forget to kill yourself when you get there

>i think it's always been like that

I don't really believe so. Communities tend to form groups and even flat, populous holland manages to have several dozens of dialects.

The communists were also quite keen on destroying local culture.

Why the north-east has no name? Is it Canada?

I'm not Parisian, I just speak normal, erm I mean, "Parisian French".

Yes, I'm technically just Mexican though I have dual citizenship

Chicano isnt exactly an insult, but can be used as one against people born in the US who have never been to Mexico, but have high pride in the country.
urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chicano

Have no problem with it, but its cringy when people use it on here

wew lad are you a foreigner or what
post vocaroo

Kek
Americans aren't too good with geography.

well, what's Your accent?

need someone to help me with english
this is my current english:vocaroo.com/i/s0fpiVT0lL76

okay i see your point
but i dont really understand how is it communism fault that we have close to none diversity in dialects
i mean i always considered it to be lets say a feature of our language so idk

Sad!

BEGONE TRAP!

This is hard for me to say, but would you like to have sex? Looks like you're home free m8.

Can confirm, even Ukrainians speak the same language.

You should hear how many students of Russian abroad speak, it's very cringe

i forgot to label it

yes when can i find you
vocaroo.com/i/s1JFSq7Q5lYN

What? had no idea people called it other things

they're called gym shoes and pill bugs guys

t. cincinnati

i didn't even know there was a term for that

Boston accents and NE accents are different btw so your map is shit

Cougar
Potato bug
Crawdad
master race

In Japan.

Hashi, means both bridge and chop sticks.

it has two pronunciations.

depending on which side of japan you are on. the pronunciation and the meaning is swapped.

so if you stress the wrong syllable. you could be asking for a bridge to eat your ramen with.

I speak standard East Norwegian. I used to speak Stavanger dialect, but I changed it when I moved here. I'm slightly embarrassed, but I wouldn't have been able to maintain a proper dialect if I'd opted to keep it, so it's probably better this way.
But examples of Stavanger dialect is using a uvular trill instead of an alveolar trill when pronouncing "r", dropping the last consonant in female (and sometimes male?) plural forms, pretty much every "-er" at the end of a word is replaced by "-år", sometimes they start questions with "om", their consonants sometimes become soft. (p, t, k --> b, d, g)
English/Standard East Norwegian/Stavanger
you = dere = dåkkår
how = hvorfor = kossen
funny = morsomt = loje
I don't really know anymore, because I haven't spoken it for almost two decades.

This map is fucking terrible and for inbred 10 year olds

This is the real map

>Italian
>Romagnolo, belongs to the Gallo-Italic family, the substrate has strong gaulish, frankish and germanic components but funnily enough to foreigners it always sounds like portuguese.
>example; "Our Father" vocaroo.com/i/s17GVrRUDN0v

>German

>Holsatian

Some examples that come to mind right now:
>some vowels are shortened, then p/t/k become b/d/g (e.g. „Vater“ (father) => „Vadder“); that consonant shift also appears elsewhere (e.g. „Brücke“ (bridge) => „Brügge“)
>some a-sounds are closer to æ/e; a feature of Ingvaeonic languages such as Low German or Frisian
>some a-sounds are closet to open o-sounds though, as in Low German
>r-sounds are sometimes rolled, as in Low German
>some pf-sounds are pronounced pp, as in Low German (e.g. „Kopf“ (head) => „Kopp“); this does not happen at the beginning of words though
>-rg/-rk at the end of words (e.g. in „Hamburg“) becomes -ich with a short i

youtu.be/Pmi0XqTlEY8

I speak Salvadoran Spanish (quite different from Standard Mexican Spanish).
This girl from my country is pretty good at accent so you can learn the difference.
youtu.be/fUezvds3MFE

Pretty much everything west of the Kansas state line and north of the bay area sounds the same, though.

Do you actually have a rhotic accent?
Only a shrinking minority seem to have that in the West Country these days.

>Arizona

Eh, close enough. Shit sounds pretty much the same all the way from Tuscon to Denver to Seattle.

Strictly speaking there are several species of cat native to North Amerca; the Mountain Lion, Lynx, Bobcat, Ocelot, Margay, Jaguar and Jaguarundi. The latter four are more-or-less limited to Mexico, though.

Malopolska dialect.
>ą and ę pronounced as a and e in some cases
>-ęka pronounced as -enka
>stress moved to the last syllable in vocative case
>we use particle '-że' a lot
The '-że' particle has similar meaning to German 'doch' or 'mal'
Chodźże! = Komm mal her!

>crawdad

Yabby innit

77% The Inland North
66% The Midland
58% North Central