This thread is for the discussion of real screamo music. No scene kid shit

This thread is for the discussion of real screamo music. No scene kid shit.

The last screamo thread was relatively successful. What have you been listening to lately? Which obscure screamo albums do you recommend?

Please be polite.

Other urls found in this thread:

diploid.bandcamp.com/album/is-god-up-there
youtu.be/NHiVCl8Fo4E
healingpowers.bandcamp.com/album/7
youtube.com/watch?v=lM0t-3xxibk&app=desktop
lypura.bandcamp.com/
youtu.be/wtmQKOOZnlM
youtu.be/Jhlj2yPSKAI
youtu.be/CRIJuGgFkl4
npr.org/sections/allsongs/2016/11/14/501595372/hear-city-of-caterpillars-previously-unreleased-song-as-the-curtains-dim
wecameoutliketigers.bandcamp.com/album/agelessness-and-lack-3
svalbard.bandcamp.com/album/one-day-all-this-will-end
youtu.be/ZHI70KOwEBA
youtube.com/watch?v=Ww8TiSbKSwI
youtube.com/watch?v=fiULEn0UOZI
telekombasketball.bandcamp.com/album/katosit-ter-lehtiin-kirkkaudessa-ja-en-n-hnyt-sinua-en-koskaan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

2017 edition

Is screamo dead?

Been listening to I Hate Myself and Saetia again a lot lately. I haven't listened to screamo in a long while so its nice to hear again.

Bumping with Italian skramz

yes

Mostly. The screamo community here is pretty small.

Saetia kicks ass. I've been jamming Orchid lately.

this is a really good album

diploid.bandcamp.com/album/is-god-up-there

one can hope

This album is actually really good. Everybody knows "Giants Orbiting" because it was in a Smosh video, but the whole album is great. It's similar to Daughters.

Starting now

Sounds like grindcore not screamo

I Would Set Myself on Fire for You
God Tier
youtu.be/NHiVCl8Fo4E

Here's something I found in the last thread. The band is called Gospel.

Been listening to their s/t on my work commute a ton recently. Used to super dig them, Chinese Freeze Tag rips.

Been listening to I Hate Myself mostly recently. I think Indian Summer, IHM and Haikus are probably my top three bands, with Doc #8, City of Caterpillar's s/t and IV by Loma being my top three records.

I live in the UK and there's kind of a relatively big screamo scene here. Feels blessed bro

Track 4 is the first song I'd consider screamo. Shame it's not longer.

Bandcamp? Not an easy name to dig for.

>Indian Summer
I've been meaning to check them out. If you like City Of Caterpillar and you haven't listened to Circle Takes The Square, you should definitely listen to this album. It's fantastic.

Also related, probably best screamo band in the UK right now: healingpowers.bandcamp.com/album/7

FFO: Suis La Lune, Tigerscout, I Hate Myself, very much on the kind of indie rock-ish side of screamo

Some of the members are in a side project called Lugubrious Children who've put out the best powerviolence 7" of last year.

I don't know if they have a bandcamp, but I found it on YouTube. The album is called The Moon Is A Dead World.

>right now
>2014
u wut m8

Oh dude, always been super into CTTS. Saw them play with Full of Hell and Code Orange a couple of years ago and met some now-really good pals at that show. They played mostly the new stuff but closed with Kill The Switch and it was INSANE

They're still playing shows! It wouldn't tr00 screamo if you weren't playing like a million shows but only putting out one or two records

Oh, nice! They're my favorite screamo band, and one of my all-time favorite bands. I've never had the chance to see them live.

Non-screamo-head here.
I want to (politely) ask something.

Can someone please tell me what the difference is between 'real' screamo and non-real (for lack of a better way to describe it) screamo?

Also related: three of my closest mates' screamo band called it quits recently. They only ever recorded one song in the studio but there's a few live recordings floating about. It's worth listening just for the well Sup Forums bandname.

youtube.com/watch?v=lM0t-3xxibk&app=desktop

Just found this and just started it and seems pretty cool so far

lypura.bandcamp.com/
December 2016

It's hard to describe, but real screamo is a more extreme, more emotional form of post-hardcore, or hardcore punk. It often shares similarities with grindcore and mathrock. It's generally loud, messy, visceral, and emotional, but also poetic and beautiful or something. It's not uncommon for screamo bands to incorporate post-rock into their sound. Check out some of the albums posted here.

False screamo is shit like Bring Me The Horizon and Asking Alexandria and other bands that people often refer to as "screamo" when they're actually just bad metalcore.

The term "screamo" was originally used as a tongue-in-cheek thing to describe more intense offshoots of emotive hardcore. The term took off in the mainstream and it's used to umbrella a lot of super popular stuff that falls under emo, goth, metalcore, etc.

What people call "real screamo" is a lot more traditional and faithful to its original meaning, DIY, more punk oriented, lots of ugly intensity, I dunno, it's hard to describe.

See them if you get the chance! They're super great live.

Uh guys I think we have a situation here

This is cool as shit

Thanks for explaining. I was curious. I'm hesitant about trying it because I haven't really been a fan of it previously (not insulting anyone who likes it, though).

If someone has something for first-time screamo-listeners let me know.

Also a non-'head here, but here's my take: the term screamo was tossed around to describe popular bands of the mid-late 00s (think Hawthorne Heights and bands of that ilk). At least in my social circles, the term even went on to be used to negatively describe any "heavy" music with aggressive vocals. Meanwhile all these actual-screamo bands and fans needed a way to differentiate their music (any of the many bands mentioned in this thread) from the popular Hawthorne Heights rubbish. Some used the term "skramz," but I think enough time has passed now where screamo can be mentioned without that negative stigma, at least within Music circles.

Orchid is considered very good

Hey, don't talk shit about Hawthorne Heights

Ok I'm on song 3 and the situation has turned into a problem

I'm drinking so I need objective confirmation on my mind being blown.

It's pretty abrasive the first time around, so here's a softer, more post-rock influenced song from a very well respected screamo band.

youtu.be/wtmQKOOZnlM

bahaha

Yaphet Kotto

ALL HANDS ON DECK

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

OPEN YOUR TABS

I REPEAT THIS IS NOT A DRILL

It sounded pretty good to me, but I've only listened to the first song. I might pick up the record and just cross my fingers and hope the rest is good.

Mate, I understand that you're drunk right now, but this is kind of annoying. I'm starting to suspect that you're shilling your own project.

It's actually pretty good, but yeah, I'm also starting to suspect this guy might be shilling.

I'm gonna sound like a real jerk here so I'm sorry for that but...I was REALLY enjoying it until the actual screamo came in.

What's the case with most of these bands? Always dirty vocals/screamo or do they have guests that do regular vocals too?

See
Song 5 seems like they're finally starting to lose steam though

Oh wait its a sing along. That's a free pass. Fuck these guys have got all the bases covered.

Did you ever listen to the Demo & Live Recordings by City of Caterpillar?

No I'm the one who suspected screamo was dead

Fucking Germany man I shoulda known

Just listen to 90s emo and the midwest revival stuff then

Yeah, it's pretty good, I just wish it had a version of Driving Spain Up A Wall on it. Opinions on the new track y'all?

Orchid, Pageninetynine for intense hardcore stuff, City of Caterpillar and Men As Trees for long, atmospheric post-rock fusions, I Hate Myself and Indian Summer for more loud/quiet dynamic verse-chorus-verse indie rock style. Whatever's your bag!

Ooooh riffs for DAYS

Nah, you're fine. Its a pretty abrasive genre, and it's not for everyone. Pretty much all of it is dirty and chaotic like that. Circle Takes The Square probably has the most clean vocals of any screamo band. Try this one. There's some screaming in the beginning, but its all clean vocals after that.

youtu.be/Jhlj2yPSKAI

The whole point of screamo is to sound really angsty/angry/in despair or whatever. If you don't like it there's no point for you to give this genre a chance. If you like the instrumentals you might as well listen to post-hardcore cause that's the same thing with regular vocals.

Look at stuff on Broken World Media and Run For Cover Records. You might dig Pianos Become The Teeth's most recent album, it's got the intensity of most screamo but without the vocals.

At the risk of turning this into a straight up emo thread you might also dig The World Is A Beautiful Place.

guitar is mixed to low imo

I've never heard the Demo/Live album was just curious what people think. They made a new track?

Now this I'm liking quite a bit. Not sure I like the glass sounds in the background but for the most part it's a very good song.

Why no scene kid shit? I like scene kid shit?

Honestly, if you enjoyed the instrumental but not the vocals just listen to post-rock.
Maybe check out some of Godspeed You! Black Emperor's louder, more chaotic stuff, like this album:
youtu.be/CRIJuGgFkl4

YEAH DUDE THEY'RE REUNITING

npr.org/sections/allsongs/2016/11/14/501595372/hear-city-of-caterpillars-previously-unreleased-song-as-the-curtains-dim

I spent way too much money on a copy of their LP a few years ago. Now it's been repressed and I couldn't be more mad at myself.

>listen to post-hardcore
I'll give the genre a chance when I can. Thanks.

You might enjoy Rites Of Spring.
They're one of the first post-hardcore, or "emo" bands and they're pretty great. A little whiney at times, but really good.

Moss Icon > Rite of Spring

defend TRUE emo!!!!!!111

Also folks, anyone listened to We Came Out Like Tigers?

wecameoutliketigers.bandcamp.com/album/agelessness-and-lack-3

They've broken up now since their bassist left (they've formed a screamo-ish black metal band called Dawn Ray'd now, they're great), but super intense, cathartic screamo with violin, blast beats, d-beat, the lot. Super antifascist and political as well. Mutual friends of mine, and well nice people.

>screamo-ish black metal
That sounds fantastic. I love bands like Oathbreaker.

give me moar

I'm usually not a fan of political music, especially since most musicians tend to be ultra liberal and I'm not, but I'll check them out. I love me some screamo and black metal is pretty cool too.

Bump

I get what you're saying. These guys aren't really liberal, they're well super hard left anarchist, but not in a lame way, they're very well-read. I'm very left wing but don't really agree with their politics some of the times but they make some great tunes.

Ooh, speaking of Oathbreaker! Check out Svalbard. They're a local band from my area who's supporting them in a couple of months. I think you'd dig them if you like really dark, metallica screamo. They're a bit more post-hardcore-ish but they're enjoyed by like every screamo fan I know. Really nice people as well, the guitarist used to work at the record shop I work at and she gave me a Pokemon birthday card at a gig once.

svalbard.bandcamp.com/album/one-day-all-this-will-end

I just checked them out. Their music jams. I might pick up the record after I listen to it a few more times.

This is some really good shit, user.

The band released this album in 2005. They disbanded 2 years late if I recall with an unfinished second album, and ever since have been teasing with it. It was produced by Kurt Ballou who is best known as the guitarist of Converge (go listen to Jane Doe if you haven't and like screamo what are you waiting for).

I thought The Moon is a Dead World is more well known here, it's #1 on RYM under the screamo genre.

As someone pointed out, Orchid is a very good start. Chaos Is Me is fantastic, lasts only 18 minutes and covers everything that the genre is about. If that doesn't dig for you, I can't blame you but at least you'll know what the genre is about.

I actually didn't know that. Thanks for the info, user.

How does one into screamo, I've been enjoying quite a bit of midwest emo recently and thought it'd be fun to dip my toes into the screamo waters, for reference my fave emo album at the min is "this conversation is ending starting now" by knapsack

See

Jeromes Dream?

Ignore this guy, the album he posted is good, but go with Saetia for a good crash course.

Maybe listen to this, and read the lyrics as you go along. Screamo is pretty intense, and it doesn't share very many characteristics with midwest emo revival.

youtu.be/ZHI70KOwEBA

Yeah but that's old and very long dead

This is young and alive

Anyone know of a european middleman or online store selling the reissues of As The Roots Undo? I really fucking want that so so badly but shipping costs more than the album itself, either black or coloured.

Been listening to the new Old Gray album up on Bandcamp, and it's surprisingly good. The last time I tried their stuff was when they first released Demo, but I wasn't too big into that.

No problem, it is easily in my favourite screamo records. Holds itself in shape very well, adds some pscyhedelia and post-rock to the mixture yet keeps the whole package very consistent and roots to post-hardcore/screamo.

It's a very different genre from emo, I personally recommend Orchid as their high points are very short releases but packed with the aggression and intensity that keeps me interested to the genre.

I wouldn't personally recommend Circle Takes The Square as a starting point into it, as ATRU is a very tight package meant to be taken as a whole. Also the vocals might be off-putting at first. It took me a few listens to enjoy the album when I first got into the genre, but nowadays it's probably my favourite in it.

Fuck this post came way too long.

>As The Roots Undo
Thats my favorite album, user. This may sound stupid or obvious, but have you tried Discogs?

Start with this. It's a very nice balance between emo, post hardcore, and screamo. It's called "Vancouver" by La Dispute.

Yeah I did, has no one selling them. Sad feeeeeeels. Only the original releases and something from inbetween, but going for a pretty high price.

>What have you been listening to lately? Which obscure screamo albums do you recommend?
Iwontstopwonderinguntilyoustopbreathing is really fucking solid. It feels like the bastard child between Jeromes Dream and Iwrotehaikus. I haven't listened to their whole discography yet.

I've heard that the dudes from Iwrotehaikus had a later project called Xochitl. Any info or downloads?

Just listen to Orchid and pg99, it's the most "pure" screamo.

Anyone else seeing City Of Caterpillar live in their upcoming reunion tour? I'll be at the one on the 13th at the home base Richmond itself. Bought ticket a few minutes after it got announced; shit sold out FAST.

Forgot to add that I also want to support the already small scene and get it from the official merch rather than second-handed.

Here's a repress for $25 plus shipping.

I'm in Austin not Germany and I'm seeing Child Bite on Thursday. I used to hear Toru Okada as I pulled into my drivewy. I can take a picture with my phonebook.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ww8TiSbKSwI
youtube.com/watch?v=fiULEn0UOZI

these bridge the gap nicely

My bad lol

This is a good suggestion.

I can't find Xochitl on YouTube.

Bumping for more obscure recs

Thoughts on Daughters?

telekombasketball.bandcamp.com/album/katosit-ter-lehtiin-kirkkaudessa-ja-en-n-hnyt-sinua-en-koskaan

Here's some finnish screamo that I kinda dig. Awful production even for the punk standards, but I dig the emotion in it.

I dig it. I'm also really into black metal, so production isn't an issue for me.

Bump

Not screamo, they're fucking great though. I've only heard their 2010 album but noise rock doesn't get much better imo.

>I Hate Myself

I really want to like this band but the musicianship and production is just too shoddy for me. I guess this is a strange complaint for hardcore, but I do think bands which incorporate softer/melodic sounds could benefit greatly from tighter playing.

Does anyone here like Jeromes Dream? The drummer is a fucking demon. Pretty much everything great about classic Orchid-style screamo imo - incredibly face-crushing heavy, but still emotional and vulnerable.

good band but this album is basically a water down version of Usurp Synapse