youtu.be/1OozOhkH16Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

beefhearts first two albums
any sly stone or jimi
first three sabbath albums
baby grandmothers
13th floor elevators

Funkadelic [Westbound, 1970]

(side one, cut one) Q: Mommy, what's a Funkadelic? A: Someone from North Carolina who discovered eternity on acid and vowed to contain it in a groove. (side two, cut four) Q: Mommy, what is soul? A: The ham hock in your corn flakes. Now eat your breakfast, dear. C+

maybe im desensitized but this is a lot less obnoxious and snobby than id expect from christgau

It does kind of describe the album pretty well if you've listened to it.

He's giving a widely acclaimed funk band's debut LP a C+ on the basis of a corn-flakes metaphor

I'd say you were desensitised

You do know that a lot of critically acclaimed albums got shit on when they first came out?

Maggot Brain [Westbound, 1971]

Children, this is a funkadelic. The title piece is ten minutes of classic Hendrix-gone-heavy guitar by one Eddie Hazel--time-warped, druggy superschlock that may falter momentarily but never lapses into meaningless showoff runs. After which comes 2:45 of post-classic soul-group harmonizing--two altos against a bass man, all three driven by the funk, a rhythm so pronounced and eccentric it could make Berry Gordy twitch to death. The funk pervades the rest of the album, but not to the detriment of other peculiarities. Additional highlight: "Super Stupid." B+

America Eats Its Young [Westbound, 1972]

Their racial hostility is much preferable to the brotherhood bromides of that other Detroit label, but their taste in white people is suspect: it's one thing to put down those who "picket this and protest that" from their "semi-first-class seat," another to let the Process Church of the Final Judgment provide liner notes on two successive albums. I overlooked it on Maggot Brain because the music was so difficult to resist, but here the strings (told you about their taste in white people), long-windedness (another double-LP that should be a single), and programmatic lyrics ("Miss Lucifer's Love" inspires me to mention that while satanism is a great antinomian metaphor it often leads to murder, rape, etc.) leave me free to exercise my prejudices. Primary exception: "Biological Speculation," a cautionary parable about the laws of nature/the jungle. Secondary exception: "Loose Booty." Remember what Hank Ballard says, you guys: how you gonna get respect if you haven't cut your process yet? C+

MB is a fantastic piece of 70s rock guitar though, it captures the feel of that era so perfectly.

i have and it just refers to that one novelty country song

america eats its young>maggot brain tho

Check out Eddie Hazel (Funkedelic's guitarist) solo album
youtube.com/watch?v=CqDGTT2OtsQ

how about some Howlin Wolf?

>baby grandmothers

That's a cool band
youtube.com/watch?v=M8hrm3Un6bo

like this ?

Different bags - Closed mind :

youtu.be/1OozOhkH16Q

I found it rather bland and his playing not especially inspired compared to the MB era.

If you liked this album make sure to check out the second third and fourth albums which are quite similar. (Free Your Mind and Your Ass Will Follow Maggot Brain and America Eats it's Young) and also check out the first Parliament album Osmeum. And then there's this singles collection as well.......... Enjoy.

Game, Dames and Guitar Thangs [Warner Bros., 1977]

Hazel can really flick his pick, and maybe that's the problem: despite a welcome but misleading cover of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and the assistance of his cohorts in the Funkadelic rhythm brigade, most of the time you'd think this was a David Spinozza record. Heavy it ain't. B-

Yeah well of course it's hard for anything to beat Maggot Brain. A solo album isn't going to be as great as the band that he's best known for. But still a essential listen for P-Funk fans.

k i was trying not to be such a dick tonight, but its how it is, but like do you guys really need to hear that mainstream funk shit to know what it is? like you are music aficionados, these albums aren't obscure and necessary to parse so precisely, sorry but these are par for the course guys, stop making it into cryptology, this aint that deep. drugged out as shit too, like to the point of being incoherent, not exactly a precise style...

Holy crap, this is exactly what I thought. It sounds like average elevator/background music with nothing particularly catchy or memorable. Just Eddie mindlessly noodling on his fretboard for 40 minutes.

lets take it to the stage lowkey has better leads than maggot brain

I guess the general public felt the same way because GD> sold about 10 copies and Warner dumped their unsold inventory at fire sale prices to get rid of them. The result being that it's an extremely rare album and very collectable.

one more thing, perusing wikipedia and googling shit is what's going on, not intimate knowledge of funk, stop pretending

I agree. White bois think they know da funk.

Once the protest movement wound down, black music in general went back to being a minstrel show, George Clinton's various projects being the few exceptions. Record labels encouraged black artists to crank out mindless party/dance singles and avoid anything edgy or political.

you should seriously leave the footnotes that were on that wiki page, like no one discusses music this way from pure memory, you guys are trying really hard to elevate something not that dope.

>no one is allowed to post on Sup Forums unless they've been to 100 funk concerts since the 70's.

nope that wasn't the point, just discuss it like normal people, there isn't any reason to have pissing contests on a Sup Forums forum, just makes you look like try hard bitches

Just shut up and post some albums, you're the only one dragging this thread down.

All the early rappers used to sample funk tunes because they grew up listening to P-Funk and the Commodores.

yeah i know, but it peeves to see people do this, i gave you my best effort, howlin wolf was my input and nobody acknowledged it, you all kept typing stupid details no one cares about without responding, it hurt my feelings kinda

>howlin wolf

But that's nothing to do with this thread. OP is looking for psychedelic p-funk not delta blues. You're the only one here who doesn't understand what this thread is about.

George Clinton was partially responsible for the existence of RHCP. That's a pretty terrible legacy to live down.

I mean it's pretty damn trippy, but you mean the rigid defenition you fags like to use so all music is neatly boxed so you feel better about not being musical at all, okay thennnnn how about Blackbyrds? a DC band that has a bunch of sampled songs? good enough or naw?

t. Sad projecting cunt

It would help if the album were mixed decently, but it sounds like it was recorded on a portable cassette deck unlike that crisp, loud, booming sound Maggot Brain has.

They told Eddie Hazel "Play like you'd feel if you just learned that your mother was dead."