/Lang/ language thread

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/5Y8Zj4N
radio.garden/
youtube.com/watch?v=qoGnodmxsto
ithanks.com/en/
forum.ithanks.com/index.php
youtube.com/watch?v=gOMhN-hfMtY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I knew it was a mistake. you can only talk so much about something

I am a native speaker of the valencian variation of the catalan language and I will answer all of your questions in case you have any

I wish I had any, but I only learned spanish. Are the idioms really close between the languages you know like things such as dar por, dar en, dar a, etc.

It's as close as any western romance language is, with some loanwords because of being a part of spain

Concretely, most of those "dar" spanish uses aren't used with that verb in valencian, f.ex:

"Dar asco" (being disgusting, literally "to give disgust")
"Fer fàstic" (being disgusting, literally "to do disgust"

The verb "dar" is "donar", similar to french donner and used in the same ways.

Can anyone tell me how good "Cafe in Berlin" is as a tool for getting the feel of sentence structure in German? I will be using other tools for grammar and vocab.

I translated the first story so far.

hi

That's neat. How much french influence is there? Do you use catalan more everyday or spanish?
high user
I have never used it. Is it like those story type games like off DW.org?

There are a lot of french similarities, but not influences I'd say.

I speak catalan mostly in daily life and spanish when internet/formal/unknown people

KKK
E
K

oh boy there goes the neighborhood

Russian vs Persian?

depends on what you and to do with it and what you like. There are a lot of Iranians in the Uk, no?

Part of my problem is that i dont have a solid reason to learn any language.

(o við línu kann eg ikki skriva á Sup Forums so eg brúki ö)

Góðan dagin öll Sup Forums-menn og -konur, eg prövi at skriva á föroyskum í 2. ferði, og eg veit at tað er ikki so godt men eg má böta á onkran hátt. Í dag var eg í kirkjuni tí í dag er sunnudagur. Har hoyri eg eitthvort frá kirkjutosarinum.

I believe everyone does. It opens you to talking to others and giving you something to do. Also, studies show that being bilingual retards neural degeneration.

>Also, studies show that being bilingual retards neural degeneration.

Nice garden path sentence :Þ

Here is the server for the Sajem Tan language:

discord.gg/5Y8Zj4N

Generals are probably a bad idea in general.

We need to create an anti-general discussion movement to prevent it from becoming incestuous 4chanized subreddits.

so maybe we should just take away the name field ? Or,we could change it few bit. But then again I knew since the beginning that languages threads usually hang on the edge between dying and living because most here stay in their own generals instead of going to threads like this one.
sorry, I often do it since it saves up time and space writing like that

I think if the general is about actually learning something or helping others, instead of discussion of something, it won't spiral into cancer realm.There are many generals on Sup Forums across all kinds of boards and while most are just """entertainment""" there are few out there which are actually useful and help people.But that's just my observation, I don't know nothing.

this general is good and useful. country generals are the ones that need to go

I have learned a shit ton from the spanish speakers on here vs going on any spanish general because there isnt that whole flag issue and memeing that comes with being an american speaking spanish on a neutral general.
this. It is fun most of the time, but the majority of the time it is just another random with flags

umb

Question to spanish learners and spanish speaking people: ¿Cuáles son tus fuentes de noticias en español?

spanish

En cuanto a mí no me gustan porque son una mierda y pagan por los políticos. Pero a veces escucho a CNN y soy un oyente de ESPN también.

>CNN
>ESPN
The spanish speaking ones?

Literally filter the ones you don't like, it's not rocket science.

yes

k

I just dont go to them except cum and esp, but even then I go less and less. But still, when I think about it, maybe it is nice to have containment

The same talks led in /cum/ are led in /ex-yu/. AS someone who speaks decent Spanish, I know for a fact that /ex-yu/, no matter how cretinous, is much better than /esp/ and /ita/ for a fact. Though every general is better than /brit/

Generals in general (heh) are a bad solution for your containment, though the only good one in this environment, I agree
Just don't go there to learn languages. Rare are the people who won't "shitposting" you "out" with their nonsense. I don't even remember when this exclusivism started, that we created an allergy to responding to foreigners, as if we were cast in solid gold and our threads/conversations are patent worthy

Thanks

we must start the invasion movement

shitpost*
your containment issue*

What invasion movement? I use this board mainly to vegetate. I have no interest in spending my energy "fighting" for a general-free Sup Forums.... Entering generals and going back and forth with these imbeciles is futility personified

True the problem with esp is that it kinds turns into r9k or franco vs the republicans depending on the thread. And you are right. It is a waste doing anything. I do miss that colombian proxy user from cali as he helped me a lot. Now I go to other sites like hispa, but hispachan makes lat and esp seem like lit on a good day. Nothing but 12 year olds being edgy and fucking creepos that need to be hanged from trees.
Do you go to other IBs or sites user?

I don't even visit newsportals or imageboards...
Hm...If I want to learn a language, I simply use applications and grammar books. Joined the telegram group recently, that being my only great exclusions of the aforementioned, but we did make it an Sup Forums in a smaller, more fast paced environment. Can't blame us, Sup Forums is its bitter, sad and (latently) narcissistic people

Damn, you are saying the hard earnest truth, but do you do use sites to voice talk like pen pal exchanges or whatnot?

What do you faggots think of Bable Yak for learning to speak Russian?

No. I feel confident enough to speak to people, what's more, I prefer it, but I have bad experience with these websites. Usually people get too entangled and invested in the other's life, you understand. Three situations where it turned in the wrong direction (my fault, their fault, it doesn't matter) and several others, where the conversations wattered down, turned to everyday banality like Facebook status chats. It's people. Everyone is sad, happy, worried, relieved, conflicted, resolute...can't expect them to remain on this singular path of language learning and constant processing...but in the end I do

A drone would be preferable, or someone asexual, a talking plant...

Well okay then. I guess I will keep up with just talking in person in Spanish then. Thanks for the input.
No clue. I dont speak Russian nor use that site and sadly, you missed the two anons that usually do speak it.

Missed? They v&?

I learned 2 languages by myself ask me anything

Are any of you guys native German speakers or trying to learn German? I'd like to add someone on Skype (text only) to help me practice. Also give me a heads up if there's some sort of Skype group chat in German already going.

Which ones? How? Are you fluent, in both written and spoken? How long did it take? What advice would you give to others learning a language?

I'd help you.
But you chose the wrong flag.

how about discord

Be honest Sup Forums: you miss him, don't you? Even if you hated him there's a part of you that misses his child-like wonder.

I can give you American lessons if you're not gonna be a dickbag about it

hell no, they posted earlier and most likely will not be back because it is pretty late in their countries

>can't even take a light-hearted joke over the Internet

>Which ones?
French and Spanish
>Are you fluent, in both written and spoken?
On French yes, on Spanish, written only. I still am working on it.
>How long did it take?
Around 1.5 years for French before I could finally confidently say I could live in a purely French environment. It's been 3 years now.
For Spanish, I've only been working on it for a year, so not yet.
>What advice would you give to others learning a language?
Make sure to study everyday, but not too much. More than 2 hours and the information won't really stick. Also, don't just rely on one source.

I realized he was just an innocent kid that got bullied by dad and jeb to do their dirty work. He seems lighthearted a bit

>bullied by jeb

How did you study vocab?

wanna go m8

I've never tried it but just made one

it is what all the people are using these days on this website.

this is the /lang/ room
discord.gg/9QpFR

Neat, thanks for enlightening me. I must say you're lucky to be in a country where you have easy access to a Francophone environment, I'm jealous. Also, why Spanish? I'm not gonna judge you, but that's a curious choice for a Canadian.

Good question. I didn't. All I did was immerse myself in the target language with music and movies and stuff. If I didn't understand a word, I'd look it up. Then I'll eventually come across it again and again until it's embedded unto my brain.

Well, because I like it, and my heritage is Spanish. Wouldn't want to dishonor my ancestors by not being able to speak it.

this does not apply here

Am I supposed to feel like I'm making progress? Because I'm reading a textbook and I don't feel like I'm making much progress.

You make progress even without realising it. It can be frustrating to not feel like you're getting anything out of it, and indeed if you're not being challenged, you need to step it up a bit (as for how, I can't say). Immerse yourself. Listen. Read. Talk. Find a foreign community. Don't just use one source. What matters is that you maintain a constant study habit.

That's interesting. I'm studying Russian right now, which sort of requires me to know a bunch of words and grammar before immersion. I have a book which will teach me all of the grammat, along with 1500 words. From there, I plan to watch movies/TV/videos, and read some news articles.

you will get to a point where words will be second nature and you wont even need the textbook

Filters don't fix the problem; they hide them.

I haven't been able to complete a single strengthen skills without getting at least one wrong on duolingo. Is this normal or is my memory just shit?

Since you all are learning languages, maybe I can ask you.

Can anyone here read the international phonetic alphabet?

If so, could you recite this?

/snym.mɛt kɛ ɬnʌm znok.ɑ snɵ ɬet kem.fɛ dɤts di.vom kem ʒæ.sik.ʒɛ met.fɛ dɤts di.vom.vmɛ don.ɑ kɛ ɮɵ.ɑ.kɑm tœ.ɮnon znim tœ.ɮnon.vɑ gɤɬim.um.sun ʎi.dok kɛ ʎœk.ʒut.um.sun ʃœ.ʃœn ɮɵ.vmɛ zæ.θœn.din næ.vnyts ʎi.dok kɛ θe.fæm ʃo.mæk tœ.ɮnon znots.fɛ zæ.θœn væ.ɬnɤm.fɛ tœ.ɮnon kɛ si.mem.ʒut.fɛ.sun di.vom zɤt ʎi.dok.vmɛ ʒe.tæm znots.fɛ ki.ʒɤt ʒʌ.ʒʌm.fɛ ki.ʒɤt ɮɵ.vmɛ ki.ʒɤt.din sœn dɛ.ɑ.vmɛ sæ.ʎem tæn fmy.vʌk.fɛ.ʎɑk ki.ʒɤt.din dæ.θnyts.fɛ θe.fnom dɛ.ɑ.vmɛ sæ.ʎem tæn ʒe.ʎɤn.mun.fɛ θe.fnom tyk zɵ ve.snen.ɛt ɮɵ ʃæ.ʃots.fɛ fnit xyt du.ɑ.kɑm kæ.syn.ʃɵ sin du.ɑ sæ.ʎem tæn ʃæ.ʃots.um xyt dɛ.ɑ.vmɛ mom tæ.znon tæn.ɮɤts.fɛ xyt du.ɑ dɤ.dot.fɛ θe.fæm næ.vnyts vi.θit/

>English is as close to polish as it is to Hindi

Hvar er foroy-kun

Absolutely, over time it'll get better as you do more "strengthen skills"

I can't, I don't think most people use that to learn how to pronounce things

>tfw listening to some Bosnian radio station and the perfect song is playing but I can't understand anything and will probably never hear it again.

radio.garden/

no clue whatsoever
duo system is just annoying like that, so yes.

Record and Shazam it you Turkish pleb

>implying I didn't try that
It gave me something else.

Upload it on YouTube and spam it on Croatian threads until somebody gives you an answer.

Never give up you dirty Turk.

한국어를 배우고 있는 분들이 있나요

lmao, I'll listen again to that station by midnight, surely they repeat the playlist right.

네.한국어 배우는 거 정말 어려워요. 지금 혼자로 배우고 있어요

What do you guys think about music and learning languages? I know a lot of people love it for learning but others say it is bad since most songs are composed of sentence fragments and slang and thus may teach you bad habits.
youtube.com/watch?v=qoGnodmxsto

난 학교에서 배웠는데 혼자 어떻게 공부해요? 어려울텐데

語韓語, 自傻也。

Persian. Fuck anglo scum, we're full.
Fuck off american degenerate, we're full.

Пидopы.

No you are not. Siberia is open, although you will probably freeze to death this time of year.

Пpивeт, кaк дeлa?

Meня Pyccкий нeт хopoшo(((

I want to get better though, you like us Aussies a little more than those yanks, right?

>Siberia is open
Good luck then ^_^

meh, that is just a little cool. A few shots of liquor, borsch, long johns and wool will help me!

Any linguaphile completely burned out?

After learning 3 languages I can't even be bothered anymore, it's become boring.

Been thinking of taking up a really difficult language though to keep me interested again, but I've already learned Arabic for 6 years.

Maybe Chinese or Russian

NEW AMAZING APP !!!! WOW

ithanks.com/en/

Go chat here!!! forum.ithanks.com/index.php

How do u like it?

ithanks.com/en/

and there chat forum.ithanks.com/index.php

I owe a lot of my early English to Eminem

youtube.com/watch?v=gOMhN-hfMtY

CNN más que nada, pero nada más tengo cuidado con las mentiras y noticias sesgadas

That sounds horrible

I'm thinking about doing a formal immersion program next month in Spanish. I did ok in high school but that was a decade ago. Has anyone done one before? Anything I should check out before signing up?