Do you listen to the 30 minute song on here?

Do you listen to the 30 minute song on here?

yeah, why wouldn't i?
bring the sun > tousaint btw

How do you not get bored? I can't pay attention to the full thing tbqh

desu i can see tousaint being boring
but bring the sun is primal and amazing. maybe listen louder?
i dont know lol

Revival Swans is such bullshit.

They could've released anything and the media would've sucked it up regardless.

Fucking rubbish.

How is listening to one 30 minute song 'harder' than listening to six 5 minute songs? All you have to do is listen

t. Scaruffi fag

This is another thing. This new generation of Swans "fans". They automatically assume that because they subscribe to a certain publications/music writer's bullshit opinions, everyone else does too.

I think it's a millennial thing.

They don't know any better.

It's my favorite track on the record. Sorta think of it as a very weird kinda raw primal take on ambient music, so perhaps not on that high a volume when on first listen and a more relaxing one.

I don't get you "revival" hater guys. So like, do you guys hate their 90s career, too? It's full of neofolk, more gothic laid back kinda post-punk, and long post-rock builds akin to current Swans.

Hell, if anything, I feel the "watered down" haters would enjoy revival Swans more for having tracks at all with more of an "80s Swans" edge than anything they did in the 90s.

80s and 90s Swans sans STFTB are drastically different than revival Swans.

There was actual songwriting involved.

Elaborate on that statement. What is "actual songwriting"?

Gira himself admitted that the transition from their 80's to their 90's sound is when "they actually started songwriting" so try again

Right, which is what I said. Stay on topic.

why the fuck would I do that? I just listen to enough of an album to be able to join in with the memes

Only the remastered version

Your sentence implies that 80's Swans has songwriting. And besides that, new Swans shows a mastery of songwriting imo, the amount of complexity and perfection of tension and and payoff in their music is fascinating to me

So...you only like everything from Children Of God to Great Annihilator?

This is what I was gonna say
Early Swans has less songwriting than current Swans. It was practically all the same slow durgey distorted riffs and edgy lyrics for like four albums straight.

My sentence doesn't "imply" anything. It explicitly states that 80s and 90s Swans is drastically different from revival Swans.

I also stated there was actual songwriting involved in that period.

From 2010 on Swans became a one-trick pony of long, drawn-out crescendos and repetition that would make Faust shudder. Album. After album. After album.

After My Father they essentially released the same record three times. They're all interchangeable (and disposable).

But, like I said, they could've released 4 albums of songs like Reeling the Liars In and the media would've sucked their cocks regardless, because they're Swans, and Gira brought them back, and they were going to be fodder no matter ehat.

don't get me wrong, I love early swans, there's a lot of appeal to that simple yet brutal style

While there is no objective measure for quality of music, it can usually be assumed that when an album is both critically lauded by professional's in the industry, along with receiving a passionate and positive fan response, then the music being made has at least something which many people are finding of value. In any case, by analyzing this, it can be assumed that the large consensus that this album contains music of quality can be taken over the opinion of an user who is likely shitposting and being contrarian on Sup Forums.

This is demonstrably false. Remember, Swans revival era began with My Father Will Guide Me a Rope, which at best received a lukewarm reception. So no, they could not have "just released anything." I don't know how young you are (probably very), but you might remember that when the Seer was originally announced everyone expected it to be as mediocre as, or worse than, My Father. The fact that the album blew away both critics' and fans' expectations should tell you something.

Do you just not actually pay attention to their music? To say that all 3 of their past albums are basically the same is just incorrect

It's the best somg on the album next to Oxygen

>While there is no objective measure for quality of music, it can usually be assumed that when an album is both critically lauded by professional's in the industry, along with receiving a passionate and positive fan response, then the music being made has at least something which many people are finding of value. In any case, by analyzing this, it can be assumed that the large consensus that this album contains music of quality can be taken over the opinion of an user who is likely shitposting and being contrarian on Sup Forums.
This is all totally false

>Remember, Swans revival era began with My Father Will Guide Me a Rope, which at best received a lukewarm reception
Um, no. The album was met with nearly universal praise from the press, and as a result was met with nearly universal praise from blog babies.

>but you might remember that when the Seer was originally announced everyone expected it to be as mediocre as, or worse than, My Father.
Um, no. Due to the universal praise of My Father, preorders went up on The Seer on Young God a year before it even came out.

>It's wrong because I said so!

Can you try again, except this time stop acting like a kindergartener and make an actual argument?

What do you expect him to say? That entire post was babbling nonsense.

>every album uses minimalism and dynamics so it sucks
Lmao. Yeah and every Beatles album sucks because it all goes verse chorus verse. Every Steve Reich piece sucks because they were all following a minimalism pattern at one point. Early Swans sucks because they did the same particular repetition style on Filth, Cop, and Young God.

I am guessing the only artists you must really like is like late career Autechre or Stockhausen because of how out of the way they go with their structures to make them non-structured.

If your argument is based on the timbres and actual track per track content, that's objectively false.

All I said was it was totally false. I used the same word you did in the post I quoted.

You're just proof that Swans truly is not actually good

Wanna know what was really funny? Back in 2009 before Swans reunited, no one here even gave a fuck about them. Cause it wasn't "cool" to like Swans. On the rare occasion someone brought them up here, they were ridiculed and written off as "mallgoth shit".

But then they come back and it becomes cool and trendy to like Swans. So now they're posted here incessantly.

>Defends an anons non argument with another non argument

>Defends his own non argument with another non argument

It's no one's fault but your own that you suck at communication. Literally no one knows what you're trying to say. That post was word salad. There is nothing there to argue against.

Let me try again then, and see if I can better get my message across.

While there is no objective measure of the quality of an album, it can be deduced that the album has something of merit when it receives a significant positive response from both fans and critics. At the very least, the album must contain something that speaks to a wide range of people on such a level that they feel the need to praise it. Therefore, widely acclaimed albums can usually be assumed to be "good," or as close to that judgement as we can get in a subjective medium. However, when someone expresses the opinion that the album is NOT good, and they are in the vast minority, then they come as close as possible to being "wrong" in a medium where judgement is made subjectively.

>it can usually be assumed that when an album is both critically lauded by professional's in the industry, along with receiving a passionate and positive fan response, then the music being made has at least something which many people are finding of value.
There are so many reasons you're wrong. Ever hear about bandwagining? Hipsterism? Liking things cause they're weird or different? Respecting an artist and that affecting how you perceive the music? Soooo many other possibilities besides the music being great that it might be getting a response

Just look at all the kpop and waifu threads here

Except you're

1. ignoring the ulterior motives of critics as if an ounce of sincerity can be found in a major publication, and
2. misguided into subscribing to critical reception to begin with

I'm going to ignore the fact that you made the claim that My Father received "lukewarm" reception (categorically false) and assume you have no idea what you're talking about.

Your argument is basically boiling down to "Pitchfork says it's good and anyone who disagrees is wrong."

You sound like an idiot.

idk listening to 30 minutes song feels more like a chore, compared to listening to six 5 minutes bangers

Your Kpop and waifu threads argument falls apart as soon as one actually looks into one of those threads and realizes that very little discussion of music actually takes place. They revolve completely around the image of the artist. With revival Swans, the music on the albums is frequently discussed when comparing the albums.

>Liking things cause they're weird or different?

Since when did this become an invalid reason to enjoy music? I find music that is strange and unique to be interesting and engaging most of the time, if only for the fact that it provides a new experience.

Yes, the release of the album may be all hype. But usually the response is adjusted in future years if this is the case (just look at how RAM was received when it came out to how it is regarded now for a perfect example of this). The revival trilogy is still highly praised. So whether or not it was hype remains to be seen, but all signs point to "no"

>1. ignoring the ulterior motives of critics as if an ounce of sincerity can be found in a major publication, and

Swans are an independent band that appeals to a niche set of music listeners on a self run label. What "ulterior motives" could a publication have for praising an album like this? You sound like a wild conspiracy theorist.

>misguided into subscribing to critical reception to begin with

People who become critics for popular publications aren't just randoms. They are professionals who were schooled for their jobs, and hired by major companies out of likely thousands of applications.I will take most major critics over your opinion any day.

>Your Kpop and waifu threads argument falls apart as soon as one actually looks into one of those threads and realizes that very little discussion of music actually takes place. They revolve completely around the image of the artist. With revival Swans, the music on the albums is frequently discussed when comparing the albums.
What makes you think the music itself isn't the "image"? And why can't Swans have its own image?

It's like 12 year olds on YouTube commenting on classic 70s rock and how it's "REAL music, unlike the cRAP that's out there today!" They feel extra deep and unique for feeling this way, and they like that image of themselves and want to portray it to the world.

Another valid analogy is people seriously discussing the art of Lady GaGa getting barfed on on stage

For these people Swans, the idea of Swans, and the idea of them liking Swans and "analyzing" the music is simply an image they find appealing

Why?

>Since when did this become an invalid reason to enjoy music? I find music that is strange and unique to be interesting and engaging most of the time, if only for the fact that it provides a new experience.
You can enjoy music for whatever reason you want, but it becomes an issue when critics and musicians and fans"laud" the music in large part because of that weirdness and differentness.

This doesn't mean reviews of all things weird and different can't be trusted, but come on, everyone knows the "appeal" of Swans is that pretending to like it makes you feel and look "cool" to strangers on the internet who care about seeming like their tastes are cultured and obscure and not like everybody else's.

Yeah I understand that. I'm personally not a fan but sometimes it's enjoyable to listen to something that brutally heavy. I was mostly responding to the argument that 80s Swans had more actual songwriting than current Swans.

You made this thread already dude. Not that many people agree.

>feel and look "cool" to strangers on the internet
that's where you're wrong
I do it for irl friends to fill in the emptiness that is my character :^)

Most adored bands are lynched after their comeback.
Muse, avalanches...
The expectations are so high they get mawled on

So what

Piss off, how could you not love at least one track in this album. It's their most coherent and accessible album in their revival era.

do you have ADHD

>They could've released anything and the media would've sucked it up regardless.

>because they're Swans, and Gira brought them back, and they were going to be fodder no matter ehat.

Yeah because the mainstream media has always LOVED Swans, right?

Oh wait no they didn't and the majority of acclaim their pre-2000s albums got was retrospective and only came after their 2010s stuff started getting attention (which was mainly because of P4K).

>After My Father they essentially released the same record three times. They're all interchangeable (and disposable).

this isn't even an opinion, this is objectively wrong

wow repetition dude so powerful so experimental

>glowing man re-uses bring the suns intro as it was a vital part of the songs conception
>"le swans trilogy is the same album 3 times!"

Yes, why would I miss out on
>TOUSSAINT
>L'OVERTUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRE
It's one of the best moments of the album when he shouts that and starts shouting stuff in French and Spanish

Yes, its the first half is probably my fav thing on the album