Am I a pleb for not wanting to record music on this thing...

Am I a pleb for not wanting to record music on this thing? My friend and I make music together and he thinks he is a purist and insists that cassette will give it rawness and warmth when I mainly make textured drone based music that utilizes many guitar pedals. What's the best way I should be recording with my sound? Or how do I make this thing sound amazing if possible?

Physical mediums are for hipsters and old people

>he thinks he is a purist and insists that cassette will give it rawness and warmth
Do you think Albini has influenced his opinion? If so you can tell him that concept has literally nothing to do with why Albini does it.

record on whatever you want. your friend is stupid though. the "warmth" one older home records is probably more from shit mics, shit preamps etc.. if you guys have a later model tascam its gonna sound pretty ok and not give you the "tape" sound

is it possible to make cassette recordings sound amazing and dense like digital? like would mixing on DAW and with hardware get it there? Or will it just sound flat or muddy for good?

If you already know how to get a decent sound with a DAW, use that. You can get that warm tape sound on a PC if you know your shit.

well you can't add to the source material. there are so many tape plugins these days that honestly sound fine and fool everyone except so old ass mastering engineer. i dont know why you would record on cass if you wanted to make it sound digital

no but you're a pleb for making drone music

well ill have to try. i don't mind using it as an effect, its just that i hate how it sounds so muddy and how the effects on the guitar aren't as present or upfront. if i could get it to sound cool I wouldn't mind using it

well thats where a plug in would be good. record it clean and distort it to the level you want

sounds good, now i just need to see how ill deal with the bitching that it's not "authentic" and that plug-ins are shit.

plug ins can be shit but just do some research. as for authentic tell him sure, actually buy the whole signal chain of an old record. the mic, the preamps, the tape quality, make sure the tape write heads are not modern in any way, if its a studio album make sure he gets an amp or slight output compression that is for an old ass rack unit that probably costs like 15k now etc....

I don't know if it's "better", but it's definitely EASIER to get good drum sounds with tape than it is recording digitally

particularly cymbals. In the past, I always used an analog 8 track to record the drums and simply bounced it to the computer where we did everything else.

yeah, thats because having an interface with enough inputs is a pain.

You're a bit of a stick-in-the-mud for not wanting to use it
Get over your self

his friend is more of a stick in the mud for trying to force him to use it desu

>My friend and I make music together and he thinks he is a purist and insists that cassette will give it rawness and warmth when I mainly make textured drone based music that utilizes many guitar pedals.
You both sound like idiots honestly

Life is pain

>its just that i hate how it sounds so muddy and how the effects on the guitar aren't as present or upfront
How are you recording the guitars?

Tape plugins sound bad.

Avoid this OP

>like would mixing on DAW and with hardware get it there?
Yes, I used to do this all the time.

Record to 4/8-track. Then mixdown into a DAW and do the overdubs you want digitally. Your end result is probably going to be digitally distributed anyways.