/jazz/

What are you listening to and what do you think of it?

guides:
imgur.com/a/vGtuD

resource:
>History of Jazz: pastebin.com/megRCyA7
archive.org/details/davidwnivenjazz

releases and reviews:
downbeat.com/reviews/list/cat/jazz
allaboutjazz.com/
npr.org/music/genres/jazz/
rateyourmusic.com/~jazzthreadguy

radio
accuradio.com/jazz/

yt:
youtube.com/user/jazznbluesexperience
youtube.com/user/JavaJazzFest

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sKeWRHpMdg0&list=PL31F269DAED6ECE20
mega.nz/#!EUsBSLSD!q75VuToGs-PYIHGh-Q0821WaxAMQY_RJQLYsKTUuvL8
youtube.com/watch?v=Zrmx0Zjsvgo
youtube.com/watch?v=2_KvLlENjk0
youtube.com/watch?v=ImtQfrzppR0
youtube.com/watch?v=JvFPHeAtHCo
youtube.com/watch?v=6dPb5a1NjI8
youtube.com/watch?v=zNtKJNgjq2g
youtu.be/sexT1vjG9Pc
rateyourmusic.com/collection/Jangle_Bojangle/reviews
youtube.com/watch?v=Q1AK0jwHApQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ewkt9TtSC2Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Been looking to check out more of Jackie McLean's work. This date is from 1959 with Donald Byrd, Walter Davis Jr., Paul Chambers and Pete LaRoca. LaRoca and PC sound incredible on this. Byrd honestly steals the show, this is probably the strongest (and highest range-wise) playing I've ever heard from him. Great record

>What are you listening to and what do you think of it?

Pic related. Of course I know it and love it.
70s ecm output is nothing short but amazing.
This along with Abercrombie's Timeless hit me right in a mood right now.

I've never been able to get much into this sort of thing. It just sounds so dated to me now.

This is definitely worth checking out if you're a Keith Jarrett fan (and especially if you like the Standards Trio). It's nice to hear Keith playing with Motian post-American Quartet.

Personally I think there's something lacking in this recording (intensity, perhaps), but I'd recommend it anyway if only on account of what Motian brings to the group.

Probably because it borders with smooth jazz a ton? Also that "eastern" vibe is somewhat cheesy.
I can see that too. But for me, as a huge ambient fan, it's rather soothing.

Anyway, do you have any (not so obvious) recs of albums with some fretless bass, slides of which sound like melting butter?

Nothing that comes to mind besides Jaco which is probably what you mean by obvious

Andrew Hill - Judgment!
youtube.com/watch?v=sKeWRHpMdg0&list=PL31F269DAED6ECE20

It's been in my backlog forever but I kept putting this one off in favor of other stuff. I don't know why though - it's great.

Elvin fucking Jones

been listening to Charles Thomas recently
interesting phrasing, and great partnership with Drummond and Dawson

Anybody like David Binney? I don't normally like criss cross stuff but this was pretty good.

Barefooted town was ok

A while back on Sup Forums somebody had a link to download the Penguin Guide To Jazz as a PDF file but it wouldn't download for me, does anyone here have it?

I think as both a composer and a player he has one of the most unique and recognizable sounds of anybody today. Anacapa is one of my least favorites of his Criss Cross releases. If you like that stuff you will probably like the records he's done for other labels. Check out Out of Airplanes, Graylen Epicenter, South, and Third Occasion.

Keith Jarrett sounds great solo, but anytime he playes with other people it just feels like they're inhibiting him immensely for some reason.

Gone back to pic related after a few years. Still as amazing as I remember - Joe Henderson on Saxophone is definetely one of the greats , and Our Thing only proves that point. Despite it not being my favourite of his performance - that would be his performance on Grant Green's Idle Moments - it's still a very skillful performance and is definetely my favourite of his albums.

Also Andrew Hill is just the best Piano player and he very nearly steals the show for my on Our Thing.

The other players: Pete La Roca, Kenny Dorham and Eddie Khan. All play exceedingly well, most notably Pete La Roca on drums - which works in absolute harmony with Eddie Khan's bass.

Listening to pic related for the first time and it helps support your "Joe Henderson is great argument" too.

Herbie guy I need you. Do you have a high resolution high quality cover of Crossings?

>it helps support your "Joe Henderson is great argument"
I don't think anybody would really argue to the contrary

please respond

Here you go
mega.nz/#!EUsBSLSD!q75VuToGs-PYIHGh-Q0821WaxAMQY_RJQLYsKTUuvL8

havent been here for a little while, currently listening this this masterpiece

thanks but I thought they had a ton of ratings/reviews and stuff...?

This is the latest edition, where they stopped doing that. If you actually read it he explains that, and why he chose to do it...

I just found this Coltrane set at the Half-Note that I hadn't heard yet. Apparantly it was issued on an album called Creation but I never heard of it before. It's a really solid set from the early part of his late period. Only complaint I'd have is that the audio quality ain't great.

youtube.com/watch?v=Zrmx0Zjsvgo

Talking about his "early-late", just recently got hip to pic related. Some of the greatest stuff pre-Rashied Ali especially in terms of freedom and spiritual intensity. "Chim Chim Cheree" and "Brazilia" are especially killin

oh okay my bad, I kinda just skimmed it for now.

I'm gonna work my way through actually reading it later.

I still want to buy one of the versions with the ratings at some point, but I can't find them anywhere that isn't ridiculously expensive.

That album is incredible! Another really interesting one is a concert he gave in Seattle in 1965 where he plays Lush Life again. It's great stuff, but again the audio quality ain't the best

youtube.com/watch?v=2_KvLlENjk0

Oh word, thanks for the rec!

Ole
Out of this World
My Favorite Things
Africa
Impressions

pick your fave

also: why was coltrane 61-62 the best? sorry love supreme

OLE and OUT OF THIS WORLD tied for 2SOUL4U

been playing pic related a lot lately, don't know much about Surman but boy is he fantastic with DeJohnette

>Towner
>Garbarek
>Weber
i'm boutta nut i need to hear this sometime soon

I saw RW uploaded this today, is it good?

yeah, great album, great playing from gato barbieri

haven't heard out of this world, but Africa is my favorite from those

>shirtless jazzboy in the cover
damn...
post more shirtless jazz players in album covers itt?

great album btw

youtube.com/watch?v=ImtQfrzppR0

in awe right now

Kulu Sé Mama
Ascension
Meditations
Interstellar Space
Om
Live in Japan

these are all my personal fave

61-62 was great & all but cmon and ascend already the weather's lovely up here *tips* *trips* *flips*

Why do you want to see shirtless black men so bad?

>Why do you want to see shirtless black men so bad?
shirtless black JAZZ men

there's a difference.

So you just have a thing for half naked black guys with trumpets instead?

he said shirtless jazz players l2 read my boy

I love Max Roach's stuff with Abbey Lincoln and choirs n shit. Any other interesting jazz with vocals? Stuff like this
youtube.com/watch?v=JvFPHeAtHCo

youtube.com/watch?v=6dPb5a1NjI8

And even this
youtube.com/watch?v=zNtKJNgjq2g

I know Sonny Sharrock already that's a rec I've gotten a few times. I just love this shit though

adding this to my Jan Garbarek January (pronounced "yanuary") playlist

Where is Herbie guy

listened to Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny earlier tonight. It made me happy.

hopefully listening to some jazz besides Hancock

I'm listening to my own music right now. SoundCloud.com/SuperJazzColors

It's inspired by jazz music. All music. No labels.

Giant Steps is my favorite album. Honestly, John Coltrane could have just released the song Giant Steps and no other music his entire life and I wouldn't think any less of him. That solo is beyond what you people see. It's a mastery of art. Chopin would have enjoyed it.

bumping

I'm really into this.

youtu.be/sexT1vjG9Pc

I don't necessarily agree he's being inhibited by his groups; but to my ears it does sometimes sound like he's playing over his groups rather than with them. This applies more to his work with the Standards Trio than to his work with, for instance, the European Quartet.

>Chopin would have enjoyed it.
Yeah but Chopin would obviously have been a jazz pianist had he just been born 100 years later

>tfw somebody starts a troll Kamasi Washington thread so the jazz thread dies

I'm rating and reviewing every Coltrane album from recorded date, thought maybe you guys would enjoy this.
Reviews are on my rym, might make a seperate list for it soon.
rateyourmusic.com/collection/Jangle_Bojangle/reviews

your reviews kind of suck t b h

thanks

Transition 5.5
Kulu Se Mama 7.0
Ascension 8.5
Sun Ship 7.5
First Meditation 5.0
Om 6.0
Meditations 8.0
Stellar Regions 5.5
Expression 6.5
Interstellar Space 7.0

That's my prediction of what you're going to rate the remaining albums. The best part is that now that you've seen this, as you're listening to them and deciding what to rate them, in the back of your mind you'll be thinking of these ratings and wanting to prove me wrong so in the end you'll never really be sure whether the albums as you normally would, or whether your own vanity and sense of image affected your judgement process.

this is now a Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen thread.

Joke's on you, I read your writing before any of your scores and now I'm not looking at them.

You can lie to me but you can't lie to yourself

I'm not even kidding, I literally didn't see a single one.

It would be kind of cool if everybody was a Herbie user.

Just imagine if all 27 people who posted in this thread just picked one artist to obsess about and posted about them constantly around the entire board.

This motherfucker played with everybody

Have you listened to Jackie's bag? It's with Byrd as well

It can't be that hard to find. Why do you want it so badly?

It's not beyond what I see. I listen to it everyday amd I've gotten a good ways into transcribing it.

He was Ayler's bassist, right?

Check this one out for more John Surman goodness. DeJohnette and Eddie Gomez too.

Was listening to pic related yesterday. Not exactly the most easily digestible music and there sure is a lot of it but I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to listening to it more and getting to know it better.

give me some love songs

Love is a pleb emotion

then post some about solitude

You're very good

he played on Ayler's first studio album that was recorded in Denmark before Ayler got famous recorded when NHOP was just 16, but it's not a major relationship for either musician really

bump

cool i'll be monitoring this. you haven't even gotten to the mindbending shit yet. boi you're in for a treat

This. Pretty standard vaportrap

I'm finally diving into the Ornette Coleman Prime Time stuff and it's fantastic.

Is there a /Sup Forums jazz folder or does anyone have a link to Body Meta? Every archive link is dead and for some reason it's difficult to find online.

what should I start with if I want to get into his work?

Thanks man! I've already heard about half of what's left but I'm excited to do a more critical listen.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q1AK0jwHApQ

can someone recommend me some jazz similar to this? I'm really diggin it

my favorite things has the best title track, it almost brings me to tears every time.

Overall, i think africa is the best album followed by Ole.

Had this album on my backlog and finally giving it a go, a lot more fun and unbeat than i expected! youtube.com/watch?v=ewkt9TtSC2Q

...is that a bassoon? and with Byard and Workman I can't imagine you could go wrong.

According to wiki there is a bassoon, yes

Personnel

Ken McIntyre - alto saxophone, flute, bassoon, bass clarinet
Jaki Byard - piano, electric piano
Reggie Workman - bass
Andrei Strobert - drums

for the love of ornette get fucking soulseek familio you owe it to yourself people on there have fucking everything

9/10 would definitely jam with

I stayed out of this thread for the most part because I have little to nothing to add right now. Trying to figure out where to go from here.

I'll do what I do in other threads. First reply decides the next album I listen to, whether it's jazz-related or not.

Go.

>I have little to nothing to add right now
or ever eh

>or ever eh
....Rude.

>Trying to figure out where to go from here.
Maybe just listen to all those classic jazz albums from other great artists you could have been listening to instead of picking your way through the worst parts of Herbie's discog.

Herbieanon, your enthusiasm for Herbie is honestly inspiring and somewhat infectious. But I think it would do you good to branch out and dive into another artist's work. There's a whole, unimaginably diverse world of jazz out there that isn't Herbie.

I'm sure you'd love Miles Davis' discography. Herbie plays on a lot of Miles' stuff, and frankly I think Herbie's best playing is on some of the live Miles recordings.

Anyone?

Gimme an album. I'll listen to it RIGHT now.
Any Miles album. Surprise me. Even if it's his worst I'll listen to it!