Any Linuxfags out there? Pls halp

Any Linuxfags out there? Pls halp

OK, I have a seedbox running Xubuntu. My laptop is Win 7. Seedbox is running XRDP so that I can RDP into it from the Win 7 laptop.

Earlier tonight, I successfully RDP'd into the seedbox. It needed to be restarted. I restarted it, and then I couldn't RDP in any more. The RDP connection.. connects, because I see the usual XRDP login screen, but I enter my usual credentials and it won't connect. Error is: xrdp_mm_process_login_response: login failed

Googled it, and found this page: linuxtoolkit.blogspot.com/2013/03/xrdpmmprocessloginresponse-login-failed.html
Tried some of what it suggested, even though I didn't really understand it, and what I think I ended up doing was creating two vncserver sessions that weren't there before.. if that makes sense.

So I restarted the seedbox, thinking I'd just start with a clean slate. But, now, when the computer starts up, it gives me a Xubuntu user login screen, which it has never done before. Usually it just boots straight to a desktop. The typical password for the machine doesn't work. Also tried changing the username to "root" and using my password, which didn't work either. Sooo now I'm stuck, can't log into the seedbox at all to even start correcting the thing with the X11 sessions or whatever is going on.

Any ideas??

inb4 Sup Forums. Pic for attention.

Other urls found in this thread:

nomachine.com/download/linux&id=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

OP can't inb4 and literally no one here give a fuck about your problem.

obligatory

bump

dude Ubuntu is full of bugs try a good distro like ArchLinux or Gentoo

>posting memes from other boards on .b.

You really are a pile of cringe.

Don't listen to this shitlord.

Press ctrl + alt + F1 to enter tty1, log in as root, and create a user that you can try to log in as at xubuntu login screen.

Press ctrl + alt + F7 afterwards to return to the xserver

Ctrl+alt+F1 worked from the login screen to drop out of X, but I can't login under root or the primary username..

is your caps lock on lmao

Oh! Alright, I got in under the primary account name. Help me out on creating a user??

sudo adduser

then

sudo passwd

>calling them memes without even trying Arch's AUR or Gentoo's USE flags
yeah, memes ;)

you probably need to delete /etc/init.d

xubuntu uses systemd

ralph pls go

Thank you, you're awesome so far. That worked. Created a new user, fired X back up, logged in as that user.

Now... still can't remote in. Still can't login as the primary user. Also, can't access /etc/.X11-unix from terminal at all. It says directory doesn't exist :/

>Now... still can't remote in. Still can't login as the primary user.
This is really strange considering you can log into that account from tty1. Post a screenshot of the login screen that's not accepting those credentials.

>Also, can't access /etc/.X11-unix from terminal at all. It says directory doesn't exist :/

Sounds like you didn't set up x11vncserver properly.

Is your intention to remotely control this machine on your own network? If so, just download NoMachine on both pcs - I use it every day instead of VNC

Best I got for you on the screenshot.. haha
Kvasir is the primary account.

Note: When I try to log in from that screen, it doesn't flatly reject me, like with an error.. Instead, it looks like it's going to successfully log in for a split second, then just kicks me back to the login screen. It's basically just a screen flash.

More info: When I was fucking around with the commands from that other website, I did enter the "vncserver" command. It looked like that created a second session or something.. Then, in the process of trying to kill that session, I somehow created a third. Don't remember what I did. That's when I rebooted.

its called stackoverflow.com nigger

That's pretty fucking weird. Would probably have to do some investigation at your system to work out how things fucked out in this way.

Any reason why you need to hold on to 'Kvasir'? You can just give sudo rights to that newly created account and use it instead

Agreed, I'm at a loss.. I don't even really grasp what vncserver is/does, but that's the thing I fucked with.

No, I don't care about the username. As long as I can remote in, open Deluge, access the files that are there.. haha

How would I give sudo rights?

cool, set up NoMachine - it's fucking easy

nomachine.com/download/linux&id=1

select the DEB option then after it installs double click the file and let your package manager install it

Gonna need to get into a working account first.. haha

sudo usermod -a -G sudo

OK, that worked, but I might need to get into Kvasir after all.. Deluge doesn't pull up any torrents or anything. It starts up like it's the first time ever starting. Also, the desktop environment looks completely different than it did on Kvasir. What did I do!? haha

he meant /etc/passwd

Linux professional here.

Sounds like you have no idea what you're doing.

From a networking perspective, as long as you can see the seedbox from your home network, everything should be fine. This includes the RDP ports. If those ports are listening, everything should be fine.

From a Linux perspective, if your login is failing, it means your credentials are incorrect. Linux authentication is easy.