I'm too hip for the Beatles or Beach Boys...

I'm too hip for the Beatles or Beach Boys, so I'll listen to music in the same vein as the Beatles and Beach Boys but noticeably inferior, am I edgy yet-core

Step it up sempai.

apart from O&O being as good as pet sounds?

>in the same vein

that is so vague and meaningless in this context. you could be referring to anything. no idea what your argument is

>I am so focused on the image of the music I try to demean other people bassed on my assumptions

It's way closer to Pet Sounds than to Sgt. Pepper's, but not that much inferior. Great album, OP, I wish every baroque pop record had that quality.

say no more friend

this
except it's superior

I'd apply this logic to Forever Changes and The Kinks but Odessey and Oracle is actually a good album.

Forever Changes is a masterpiece

its aight
the guitar tone gets a bit boring after a while

It's pretty good actually.

If you're beyond a fucking pleb then yeah maybe it is to you

lol not even him but that is a fantastic album. Maybe masterpiece is strong but it's great.
I don't feel it gets boring, more that some songs simply don't sound as good as others, so you're almost waiting for some to end so another may begin. That being said it's one of my favourite 60's albums, ticks all the right boxes for me

lol

O&O is a strong as fuck 9.5/10 but it will never come close to beating out Pet Sounds on any planet. It's arguably better than anything the Beatles did though.

The Kinks are fantastic and their pop songwriting rivals ANYTHING in this thread. They may not have innovated as much as others mentioned, but some of their songs are GOAT pop songs. Show me a song by the Beach Boys or Beatles which is better pop than Waterloo Sunset, Lola, Death of a Clown or Victoria. I'm sure they have songs you prefer but one could equally make the argument that the aforementioned Kinks songs are as well-written imo. It's all personal preference when all is said and done, but I love the Kinks gift for invoking nostalgia and their sense of humour. I actually love all 4 bands, but for straight pop, Kinks appeals to me most

Hung up on a dream is the best song from both those albums desu

I think God Only Knows deserves a shout, and Beachwood Park, Time of the Season and Brief Candles are phenomenal

Maybe I'm just a huge snob but I don't think anyone can compare anything to the Beatles or Beach Boys at their peak in all of pop music. I don't even like the Beatles much but SFF/Penny Lane and Wouldn't It Be Nice/God Only Knows or Good Vibrations/Let's Go Away for Awhile are, in my eyes, 100% indisputably the greatest collection of pop songs ever written. To imply that anybody has touched the studio experimentation of SFF, the chord progressions of God Only Knows/Penny Lane, the structure of Good Vibrations, or the arrangement of Let's Go Away for Awhile is genuinely fruitless in my eyes.

The Kinks were the Blur of their time

At last somebody with a good taste in this thread.

Like I said, I'm not referring to experimentation, I'm talking about pure pop appeal. While all those you've mentioned are fantastic, in terms of enjoyable, pleasing pop I believe the Kinks are at least comparable. I was being hyperbolic by saying the Kinks had songs which were as well written, largely in out of anger at the insinuation somebody could only like the Kinks to be edgy. Obviously there's a reason why these bands have their respective places in music history, the Kinks simply aren't as good compositionally as as The Beatles or Beach Boys, but they are fantastic pop songwriters and the real point I'm trying to make is that people are perfectly entitled to enjoy the Kinks and indeed Zombies without being accused of being edgy. Surely you'd agree with that?

Oh, absolutely. I like Village Green more than any album the Beatles ever put out, mainly cuz my boy Ray is a more consistent songwriter than Paul or John. The Kinks had an outstanding output starting in '65 much like the Beatles or Beach Boys, with lower peaks but more consistent overall I'd say. I love 'em.

The Zombies I can't see someone claiming to be a favorite above their contemporaries without trying a little hard. I mean, they have two albums, and their debut isn't even that great. O&O is a masterpiece to be sure but it'd be pretty fucking difficult to convince me you aren't trying to be a bit of a contrarian to say the Zombies' discography is better than the Beatles or Kinks or Beach Boys.

I agree on most of what you've said, that's definitely true lower peaks, more consistent. Again though, I think it all depends on your perspective. Some people may decide their favourite band based on overall output but others may favour those which produced a single work they appreciate. I agree, every band mentioned is far better in terms of overall discog than the Zombies, but just because a band is a favourite of somebody doesn't necessarily mean they believe them to be objectively the best. Definitely splitting hairs at this point, it's just refreshing to have a decent discussion on this board

>Forever Changes
lol nah