Common core thread

common core thread.

what the fuck am i reading?

Other urls found in this thread:

americanthinker.com/blog/2015/03/teacher_admits_he_wrote_common_core_to_end_white_privilege_.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what. the. fuck. did. i. just. read.

Is this how counting is teached to children in the USA?

fuck i remember that shit, op's underage or a retard

>when something is so simple that it's hard to explain it.

That's not what I was shown in school here in Canada, but that's how I do mental calculations

I know you're all trolling...

..but in case not, math teacher here. And a parent.

My 6693 - 2573 is a completely different problem from 2002 - 1997. Kids need to learn how to deal with both efficiently. The method you'd use for the first is stupid for the second. Vice versa.

My 5 year old did 15 + 7 in her head - quickly - the other day by realizing that 7 is just 5+2. Most kids that age would have to use their fingers.

You retards seriously can't understand that? Have you never added by parts in your head before?

Like 13+26. Mentally, you add the 6 to 13 first to have 19, then add the remaining 20 to have 39.

You're just breaking the number up so its easier.

>Teached
Taught, my European simpleton. Taught.

That being said, the worksheet is stupid. The things I just described don't really fit that problem. Don't blame common core and alternative problem solving strategies whenever you see a shitty worksheet.

And keep in mind most adults (including teachers) suck at basic math. So they have no idea what they're talking about...

...but that doesn't mean Common Core is bad. Just idiots implementing it.

The idea in OP's pic was twofold
Firstly, it supposedly helps students "make sense" of numbers by illustrating how numbers can be broken up and rearranged to get the same sum
Secondly, its supposed to simplify adding my making 10, which is an easy number to work with
In practice however, this system is retarded as fuck. It moderately helps the high level kids but completely fucks over mid and low level kids.

Good news however is that this system failed so spectacularly that its being phased out now and will be gone completely in another two years or so

Source: my girlfriend is a public school math teacher so i know all the inner workings of the department of ed

Me too.
I think thats the idea. Trying to teach kids to do this. But i dont think its the right way..

The concept can be useful for something more complex. Like... X*9 = 10X-X
1234321*9=12343210-1234321 is much faster than long multiplication.
But using this to add 7 and 7 is fucked.

What kind've dumb fucking shit is this?

Yes, we all number substitute in our head. This isn't meant to be something you're fucking taught, you should pick it up and start doing it naturally once you have a basic understanding.

I can't imagine how utterly useless i would be at shit if i wasn't allowed to learn this basic shit naturally, useless hand holding shit.

Also that sheet better be for fucking very young kids, i was a retard at maths when younger and even i would've had no problem with 7+7

That instruction sentence is fucking retarded. Why the hell would you explain such a simple concept in such a difficult manner?

yes! i am first! you can't even solve so easy problem

sorry OP, I can't add numbers. I can only add soccer balls, fans, clocks, and colored shapes.

that sheets probably geared towards kindergarten or first grade, but its currently no different for older kids, just more complicated numbers to work with.

the idea is that while most people do number substitutions in their heads, its not conscious. By being aware of it, kids supposedly become better at math.

In practice though this failed as badly as napoleon did in russia

I think the complaint was about how arkward and needlessly complicated the question was worded.
It should just have read 'Break up the numbers in a way that makes addition easier' or whatever.

7+7 = 7+(3+4) = (7+3)+4 = 10+4 = 14

You think that way now because you're past the point of learning how to think like that. The kiddos need to learn how to think like that.

> kind've

No, not all people do this in their head - that's the problem. Educators noticed that a large number of students were not understanding how math works, they were just memorizing well enough to pass and move on. They didn't just complicate math for the hell of it, they did it to make sure all students were forced to learn math rather than memorize.

>colored shapes
I like they too. It's so intresting. They can be red, green or yellow. But most of all I like green.

Did you even fucking read the question?
This isn't some complicated concept. The question makes the little trick of adding towards tens appear like rocket science.

>But most of all I like green.
No! Pink! I like pink. This is my favorite color.

It probably is rocket science to 8 year olds, nigga

meanwhile in Japan

>This isn't meant to be something you're fucking taught

You a teacher? Until you've taught kids, you have no idea.

Things that shouldn't have to be taught: how to type a letter on a keyboard.

Things I've spent all fucking week teaching: how to type a letter on a keyboard.

I certainly didn't intend to teach it, but some kids have no clue, growing up with touchscreens. I thought it would be common sense... nope.

import java.util.*;

public class HelloWorld3 {

public static void main(String args[]) {

Scanner Console = new Scanner(System.in);

System.out.println("Hello World");

String Hello = Console.next(); //Reads User input

if (Hello.equals("Hey")) // Begins if statement

System.out.println("What is my purpose?"); // if statement ends

String Hello2 = Console.next();

if (Hello2.equals("butter"))

System.out.println(":(");
}
}

So this works fine, but if I change if (Hello2.equals("butter")) to (Hello2.equals("You pass me butter")) it stops working. What do I need to add?

That's my fucking point. It absolutely doesn't have to be. Word the question differently and it's as intuitive as fucking walking.
'number bounds', 'skip count'.
What do these words accomplish?
Just show someone how to add towards tens and how it makes the subsequent addition easier.

> this shitcode
scratch is better

This is bullshit. Obviously you would add 10 to the 26 then add 3 to that.

It's not intuitive for everyone, and it's probably not intuitive for the children learning it.

>java

Sudoku

crossword

puzzle

This method involves visual inputs. I tried it and I like it.
It's the same as an abacus.

Troll? equals is a perfect match.

No.

You add the 10 to the 20 to make 30 then 3 to the 6 to make 9 then add them together.

That's actually how I do math tho. Always habe, they didn't teach it I just figured it out. Like say I the equation was 7+5, it was always fast for me to add the three then the two together to get twelve then just memorize the answer. But my brain works different because I had the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck three times. I'm not retarded or anything, just certain things I have to do differently. The way I add is different, but for some reason I subtract like everyone else. And I learned a different way to tie things, like my shoes. I am kind of depressed to know tho that common core is the way I do math, because for most people it's just more complicated it's not easier

> d-d-d-duh i lurned it a different way
> d-d-d-duh the only way to do it is the way that is my mind

Sent from my Android phone

Common core is not that bad, it's just more of a logical approach to math rather than just saying "know how to add"

If you can't understand it and it upsets you, seek help; chances are you're retarded and autistic

Do you not get what I'm saying? Like at all?
Instead of making it more intuitive for children, this stuff is actually obscuring a natural and logical way towards the problem.
Math may not be intuitive for everyone, but shit like this is making it even more unintuitive than it needs to be.

>spending a WEEK teaching "how to type on a keyboard"
>clearly either not a teacher, about to not be a teacher, or really really lucky he has tenure because he's an AWFUL teacher

Please tell me that's not real

For me it's more like I just solve the right column first and put down my answer and then the left column next and put down my answer. Sort of like how I was taught in school before math was declared racist and common core was invented.

26 6+3=9
+13
____

26 2+1=3
+ 13
_____

So the answer is 39. And I didn't need to take the extra steps to actually notate the mental processes involved in how you do it in your head on paper. Niggers.

this annoys me. I want to punch that teacher in the face.

That just made me REEEEEEEEEEE so hard..

Vague directions with no help from teachers is how I learned the multiplication table 2 days after my class did.

It went along the lines of "List multiplications that result in X".

20=?
20=1x20

16=?
16=1x16...

After reading this thread I feel better about this, apparently this is common for people to do, and I've told people I work with about it but they act like I'm strange and say it's to complicated. It comes in handy for me tho, having a 0 to work with just makes it faster for doing in my head and it is easier to keep track of shit

if (Hello2.equals("You pass me butter"))

Isn't You pass me butter a perfect match to this?

But it doesn't work, program just ends there. If I don't put in any spaces, like change make it just equals(butter) and just type butter, then it works again.

Wasn't taught common core but this is already kind of how I do things like that.

For something like 7+6, I'd add 3 to 7 making 10, then add the remaining 3 to 10 to make 13.

Sounds stupid when written out, but it's what I think a lot of people do quickly in their head without thinking about it.

marty's pizza is larger retard. you need some common core apparently

Sent from my Android phone

i do this in my head automatically if teh numbers are too big. i guess this helps?

what the fuck, im not american and i've never seen anyone do this before but i think this when i do math in my head ever since i was 8 years old LOL

I think that's what he's saying, and is shocked at the teacher's response.

Obviously

Seeing this fucking changed my life. Holy shit.

But the answer in green is the correct answer because the question was a trick question to make sure the kid understood fractions. There is nothing mentioned about Marty and Luis having different sized pizzas.

How this annoys you or makes you REEEE is beyond me.

I always thought so to but most people I've talked to about it don't think so

>even i would've had no problem with 7+7
because your teacher gave you a paper with all possible additions of single digits and you memorized them
how is that better than this?

Wow, smart kid, stupid teacher.

I will see your bait and raise you nobody counts liek this

Well thats it then. Kids and I are on our way to Japan..

Same here, from Canada too, we're just superior

You are trolling right?
The kid's answer is the only right one, and demonstrates that he or she understands fractions.

>skip counting
>number bonds
the fuck do they mean

Because adding 7 + 7 is so fucking hard... Thank goodness someone came up with a short cut!

Is there a way to prove that this works? Not just for 12*13, but for all numbers?

Judging by the hand writing that kid is < 10. Most likely between 5 - 7. Giving them trick questions questions at that age is fucking retarded.

How is it, being that stupid?

you're fucking retarded and should kill yourself along with that stupid fuck up of a teacher

It does, but with larger numbers it gets a little more complicated.

Experimentarion

I tried 15x14
It works, bigger numbers means more lines to add though

Nigger. Listen here.

6/6 of a pizza equals a pizza that has 6 slices.

Marty and Luis go to a pizza shop. They don't like the same toppings so they decide to order two separate pizzas.

Each pizza comes with six slices.

Marty ate 4 slices of his pizza.

Luis ate 5 slices of his pizza.

How in the fuck can Marty have eaten more pizza than Luis? HE CAN'T, FUCK STICK! The question is a charade to make sure that kids understand fractions. What's sad is you guys think this kid saying "hurrr well I guess Marty got a bigger pizza because I can't into fractions durrr" is somehow profound.

Trust me, I hate common core. But this picture has no context and you're reading something into it, trolling, or you're just as bad at basic math as this kid who got question number 8 wrong.

>2016
>not using number bonds

yeah because simple algebra was hard enough on the kids

>american education
do you guys not have teachers?
do you just go to school get homework and leave?
this paper isn't supposed to teach you anything
the teachers (are supposed to) show you how to do it in class first, and then give you homework so you can practice it at home or whatever
>hey kids
>this is how to do "number bonds" to "skip-count"
notice the keywords
>7 + 7 = blabla
> / \
> 3 4

>"huh wtf is this question about"
>"'number bonds', 'skip-count',.. isn't that what the teacher showed us"
this is literally how the human brain works
you associate things with other things
you can put a shakespeare quote in the question if you want
as long as the question can be recognized by the students there is no problem
this system is perfect
assuming my first statement is true

The question gives you some rules, it's an axiom!!! The only way that axiom can be true, is the kid's answer, which is flawless!!!

I would go to the principal and ask for that teacher to be fired!

I thought GCSE higher maths was hard

I bet you just messed up capitalization
if not then it's clearly a problem with spaces
look into that

is that why americans are so "smart"

whoa, do not call him a simpleton. he is ignorant sir, I am a simpleton

Lets put it simple for you. Marty orders a 24' pizza and Luis orders a 16 inch pizza. Marty's slices are 4 inches each and Luis' are 2.666 inches each.

Marty eats a total of 16 inches, which is the size of Luis' pizza. So Marty eats more.

It states "Marty are more pizza than Luis" which is a known fact. It did not say how can Marty have eaten more pizza than Luis. Yes the fraction 5/6 is larger than 4/6 but that is not what they are asking

No dude, you're wrong. The problem states that Marty ate MORE pizza and HOW is that possible.

The only way to eat more pizza despite a smaller fraction is to have eaten more surface area. Therefore he has to have a large pizza, while Luis ate a small pizza.

5/6 of a small pizza - while fractionally larger, is less pizza than 4/6 of a large pizza.

The kid was correct.

No where did it say that both pizzas where the same size. It wasn't a trick question, it was a bad question.

For the most part teachers are forced to teach this shit whether they like it or not. It wouldn't be their fault but rather the school administration who selected the material.
> B.A. in early education

Here's all you need to know about Common Core.

It was co-written by some tool named "pook" who admitted they did common core to end "white privilege"

americanthinker.com/blog/2015/03/teacher_admits_he_wrote_common_core_to_end_white_privilege_.html

He teaches at a school that doesn't teach common core because they don't allow it.

So how fucked is that?

no it didn't
stop lying

To add, he teaches at a private school that costs over $30k a year. No common core there where he teaches.

Again, fine for you poor white folk, but not for the rich kids. You poor white folks can slum with the blacks I guess.

I've seen this before and was rather confused about it. But when I think about it, I do it, too.

When adding numbers I just subtract from one, and add to the other to make the nearest 10.
So in this case you make 10 and are left with 4 so you end up with 14.
Just makes for easy counting in your head.

the problem is parents and other people around them thinking common is stupid and making the children think so too
in the end the kids won't even try because 'hurr durr it's bullshit anyway'

>Perhaps the real problem with public education is caused by liberalism
article lost all credibility in one sentence
>inb4 liberal fag
A non neutral article should never be trusted