Have the 2010s been good to us in terms of music so far, Sup Forums?

Have the 2010s been good to us in terms of music so far, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2010s&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2000s&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes, better than the 2000s. Feel like in general music has overcome the sudden disruption and lack of direction the internet put it in during the last decade.
Also Blonde is a high point of popular music and is going to age gracefully.

>better than the 2000's

Maybe if you're a poptimist or memerapper

Indie music was superior last decade, we had the early works of artists like AnCo and Black Dice and Ariel Pink

>3 albums make the 00s superior
damn bro nice arguments

2015, 2012 and 2010 were god tier, but 2011 and 2016 were complete shit

No, for one reason.
00 is dubs
01 is not
done and done

>examples imply arguments

your reading comprehension is low, not surprising from a memerapper

70's > 00's > 90's > 60's > 80's >>> 2010's

if you like mediocrity and reverb, you're in the golden age

I dunno the amount of good hip-hop and indie rock from the 2000s was incredible.

>2010s

>good music

Not trolling but genres need to become more fragmented to make progress, and the internet has led to pop music appealing to the lowest common denominator in a more fraught marketplace

2016 had some good shit though

>2011
you mean the best year of the decade so far?

If you like dubstep and 'Moves like Jagger' maybe

Could be better, could be worse.

2010s are kinda like the 80s

on the surface, really really shitty and uninspired and derivative

but below, there are things bubbling and classics to be remembered

>but below, there are things bubbling and classics to be remembered
they must be things not even Sup Forums are aware of, because i'm looking through these threads and it's all SHIT

>better than the 2000s.

eh, it's basically rap-rock and nu-metal versus trap rap and indie rock, all of which are cancerous for the most part.

Ariel Pink's best album came out this decade.

>getting your music from Sup Forums

well there's your problem lol

this

sorry bro but you're wrong. you hate trap, you hate left-field electronic music, you hate post punk revival, you hate drone/ambient because of the scope you're looking at it through, not because the new stuff is bad

I would be willing to say since the 60s every decade has had the same good/bad music ratio, the only people who say a decade has been bad are edgy faggots who don't explore different genres.

Did I just get tired of indie music, or was it better in the 00s?

Le wrong generation xD

OMG DO YOU LIKE QUEEN?
lml

the name of the subreddit you have to go back to

Go suck kanyes dick retard

indie music was the best thing about the 00s...
that and early kanye and music festivals

name one artist from the 70's superior to yeezy

indie music is poop and for weiners

Eno

Ariel Pink's 2 best albums came out this decade.

Yes, I would say so.

There's been a lot of cross-genre experimenting and hip-hop is finally starting to shed out of some of its limitations

idk kinda had no choice
mainstream music in 00s was so trash
>be in high school
>britney spears head shaving
>"emo"

Here's a quote from Tiny Mix Tapes that I thought perfectly describes the changes in music from the 00's to 10's.

>Much of the most thrilling music to emerge from the 2000s defined itself through unrelenting joyousness, carving a new home for art to exist between the celebration of pop music and the critical perspective of DIY. Groups like Animal Collective, Sleigh Bells, Dan Deacon, and Lightning Bolt painted vibrant rainbows for us to bask in, music both high-concept and high-energy that, even if many of its ideas weren’t the first of their kind, never felt like mere homages to the past. But something has changed since then. While the stream of soundalike guitar noodlers hasn’t let up in the ensuing years, the real frontrunners of artistic progress have either moodied up the palette of the moment (Death Grips, Arca, Oneohtrix Point Never) or tackled optimism in such an extreme manner so to render it as a form of commentary (PC Music).

Thoughts?

>genres need to become more fragmented

what do you mean?

Little River Band

Agreed, although I still think 2011 had some incredible releases.

Also 2014 was garbage.

sleigh bells came out in 08
desu the 00s are more '98 to '08
2010s should be 08 and on, cuz that's when the musical landscape really seemed to change

The only thing that bothers me about this is the examples for the 2000s. Dan Deacon and AnCo are Baltimore buddies and Sleigh Bells's first release was 2010. I'd need some better examples to buy into that claim

I was into death metal and punk through most of the 00s. i was just hatin on u broner listen to what you like.

>2010
MBDTF was one of the most game changing hip-hop albums of all time, Have One On Me was a pretty good album. The Suburbs was quite good too.

>2011
I thought the King of Limbs was fantastic

>2012
one of my all time favourite years in music. Until the Quiet Comes and Noctourniquet (The Mars Volta) are two of my all time favourite albums. On top of that, GKMC was dope. I enjoyed Dylan's album Tempest that year, Brendan Byrnes album Micropangea was sick, too. I loved Channel ORANGE as well.

>2013
Wayne Shorter's "Without A Net" was the best of his four decade long solo career in my opinion. Polyenso's "One Big Particular Loop" was absolutely beautiful. And Kanye wasn't too bad either.

>2014
You're Dead! was one of the most interesting and quietly game-changing albums in recent years. Awesome record.

>2015
To Pimp A Butterfly was good. Snarky Puppy's "Sylva" was a near perfect album. otherwise kinda week year

>2016
This year was a great year. Bowie, Ye, Frank, Radiohead, BadBadNotGood, Snarky Puppy and Chance all had sick albums

I like this decade. Artists like the weird frontier, hip-hop producers, and even bandcamp pages have been innovative and forward thinking with their sound t b h

I adore Kanye but the Clash, Elton, Springsteen... The 70s had a lot of good shit.

Music has never been more alive than it is today

indie fucking blows

No I like Todd rundgren and faust you stupid reddit memerap nu male faggot

>I thought the king of limbs was fantastic
Came here to post this

>00's that high
kill your fucking self, man

it's been good to the average Sup Forums browser who was a kid during the 2000s

sixties mate

Here are the highlights of the 2010's thus far:
2010:
Have One On Me
MBDTF
The Archandroid
Halcyon Digest
Cosmogramma
Teen Dream
Contra
Public Strain
This is Happening
The Monitor
2011:
XXX
Tragedy
Ex-Military
James Blake
Ravedeath 1972
Helplessness Blues
Gloss Drop
Echoes of Silence
Channel Orange
Live.Love.A$AP
Knife Man
Replica
New Brigade
Strange Mercy
Aesthetica
Section.80
Black Up
2012:
The Money Store
The Idler Wheel is Wiser than the Screw
Good Kid Maad City
BBNG2
Ekstasis
Attack on Memory
R.A.P Music
'Allelujah! Don't Bend, Ascend!
The Seer
Bloom
Slaughterhouse
No Love Deep Web
2013:
Shaking the Habitual
You're Nothing
Modern Vampires of the City
Fetch
...Like Clockwork
Sunbather
Melophobia
We are the 21st Century Ambassadors
Old
Howl
Ripley Pine
Government Plates
2014:
Plowing Into the Field of Love
You're Dead!
Black Messiah
Annabel Dream Reader
To Be Kind
Perfect Hair
St Vincent
pom pom
Mess
LP1
CLPPNG
RTJ2
Dark Comedy
Syro
Benji
Ultima II Massage
The Unnatural World
2015:
To Pimp a Butterfly
Garden of Delete
No Now
Chinese Nu Yr
Have You in My Wilderness
The Powers that B
Third Side of Tape
Product
We Cool?
Get to Heaven
In Colour
2016:
Blackstar
Atrocity Exhibition
The Long Dark Blue
Blonde
A Moon Shaped Pool
Xiu Xiu Plays the Music of the Twin Peaks
MEGA
Varahtelija
Feeling Kinda Free
We Got it From Here
Stage 4

Kinda depends on how you think those albums are quality-wise.

>Kinda depends on how you think those albums are quality-wise.

But it's more than that. Music needs to see development as an art form when we're talking about decades.

you don't think blonde is different than MBDTF?

Pound-for-pound it's been better than the last decade, but there have been fewer masterpieces.

there are like 6 decent albums on this list
get some taste

Of course it is. What do you mean?

I honestly think it seems pretty even.

I think a lot of stuff a lot of people on Sup Forums like right now will in time been seen as just ok. At least as far as the posters who act like the 10s are that much better than the 00s go.

i mean music is in a far different place in 2017 already than it was in 2010, so i don't know how you figure it hasn't been different from the 2000s so far. hip hop alone is like a completely different genre.

When it comes to contemporary bands, I can only name four genuinely great albums from this decade.

Royal Blood - Royal Blood
Foals - Holy Fire
Foals - Total Life Forever
The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten

Oh, I was talking about the way the development throughout a decade has changed in itself. Like how the directions new music takes might be different from new music in previous decades.

>indie rock from the 2000s was incredible

This desu.

That period between 2001 to about 2005 or 2006 when The Strokes, The Libertines, Arctic Monkeys. Franz Ferdinand, Kings of Leon and The White Stripes were all in their prime was the last great era for rock music.

Don't forget The Shins

Kanye, Death Grips, Swans, Kendrick Lamar, Flying Lotus, Arca, OPN, Janelle Monae, Jam City, Autechre, and Deathspell Omega are all the first names that come to mind in terms of artists that released something gamechanging in this decade.

>gamechanging
Do you actually talk like this?

Let's see.

Rock: Has become a bit more ambitious than the Strokes-lite infested 2000s, but there's no bands that are doing anything original or exciting.

Hip-Hop: Been on a downward slope since about 2001. We're past the gangsta rap autotune phase, but the likes of Kendrick and Kanye wouldn't have shone in the '80s and '90s when the title of 'best rapper around' was a fierce competition. They're pretty dull. Oh and MUH DEATH GRIPS.

Metal: lol

Punk: Is punk even still a thing? Or is it just shit like Paramore and You Me At Six now?

Pop: Muh feminism. Fuck off.

Punk today is just rich kids copying the rich punk kids of 30 years ago and not really doing anything different. Oh and lots of trans stuff.

Interpol, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Hives too.

Then more towards the centre of the rock spectrum you had QOTSA and Muse around that period putting out great stuff, and Foo Fighters hadn't yet reached their stadium buttrock phase.

Early 2000s was fucking great for rock music.

>Oh and lots of trans stuff.

I'm assuming you're referring to Against Me! there.

The Gaslight Anthem are amazing and I like FIDLAR but that's it.

Hip-Hop isn't just about the lyricism now friendo

Probably referring to G.L.O.S.S too

rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2010s&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2000s&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

just lmao @ ur """"""""""""""""""""""""""opinions""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Yeah, and just smaller DIY punk bands in general.

You can't go to a house show or a basement show anywhere anymore without getting lectured about trans indigenous poc.

I know in a lot of ways punk was obviously never about the music itself, but goddamn sometimes I just want these bands to stop parroting what their professors said and just play their damn songs.

Punk went from being offensive and crude to insufferably sensitive.

Yeah the production of modern Hip-Hop is polished hand clapping electro shit. Bring back sampling and interpolation.

Do you actually chastise people like an asocial pseudo-elitist like this? Fat virgin fucks like you all over campus.

Nice virgin-shaming, faggot.

Nah he's right "gamechanging" is cringe and a hallmark of idiocy

Those are all pretty bad, with the exception of left field electonic because that seems like such a broad term

Sorry I don't hang out with losers like you guys lmao. You guys do a pretty good job at staying in your little rooms, maybe do the same on the internet as well so that's one less place that's getting shitted on.

Not really. It's a term used without taboo or embarrassment in common conversation. Pretty inoffensive. You guys' autistic sperging on the other hand...

What albums do you think are better from this decade?

tell us more about these people you hang out with user

2010s will be known as the decade of meme music.

qt grills, intelligent chads, multitalented and ambitious people.

>a big death grips fag
>not a single grimes album
lol

You sound very full of yourself. You're not going to be very well liked in life if you're a narcissist.

Same time period but pop-punk.

I like Visions well enough, hate Art Angels. Death Grips does something new from album to album what can I say.

>protomartyr
>ought
>the drones

>2010
>no age of adz

My fav Suf from that year is All Delighted People which should be an album but is technically an EP. Adz is just alright to me.

indie was great until at least 2011, it blows now

> implying he isn't the Michael Jackson of this generation

name a better R&B/Pop singer.

>Micropangea

I don't think I've ever seen anyone else mention this album on here. It's great. Really interesting music.

Nah, only posting the truth.

cancer taste

Djohariah (sp) was the only track I loved on All Delighted People.

What did those artists do that is game changing

please go back go reddit

Bowie is pretty equal