/daily/ - "What's your favorite Pokemon?" edition

>It's a hampus episode

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Most importantly, gotta catch em' all!

Previously, on /STEM/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/collection/I_AM_FISH/stag/to do/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for New Order

First for ultrabeasts suck

lmao psychology

4th for trash

I liked the new slowdive so I tried to check out their older stuff and thought it was pretty boring :/

new gen looks pretty cool actually.

I liked 5 but didn't care for 6. Do any of you that have played it think I'd like it?

sad!

Fuuuuuck yoooooooou

no u

Slowdive aren't great anyway, nice to put on every so often but their albums are pretty boring

>what was the point then
Trolling, duh.

>first of all that's not at all the case. You weren't here for weeks and we only died um...like twice? Besides the point though.
Literally life support.

>Literally how many threads get as many regular replies as /daily/ other than kpop? Barely any threads on Sup Forums reach bump limit any more.
It doesn't matter how many other threads are more or less active. If /daily/ constantly struggles to stay alive without life support posts it's dead as a general. That's the whole point of a general.

Of course non-generals can't compete. Classical also hits 300+ regularly, and at least they have a theme other than "shitposting and circlejerking".

>new gen looks pretty cool actually.
>pic related
Hater's gonna hate, I like palmtree exeggutor.

i feel i'm in a minority that prefers souvlaki to loveless

this is true

I can't understand that opinion at all desu. Is it the atmosphere?

I feel like I'm in a minority that simply doesn't think My Bloody Valentine or even shoegaze music in general is all that interesting.

I feel lime I'm in a minority that wants to see who got the digits

i feel that souvlaki is a much better written album, it's got better melodies and it's not bogged down by shitty alt. dance like loveless is. and the atmosphere compliments the songwriting on souvlaki rather than acting as a crutch like on loveless, at least IMO. i still like loveless just fine though.

understandable, i think that MBV is a decent band but the amount of acclaim they get boggles my mind.

>It doesn't matter how many other threads are more or less active.
This was sort of the point of my post though. The reason /daily/ is less active is because Sup Forums in general is less active and as a result Sup Forums is too.

Idk what sort of point you're trying to make with "/daily/ needs bump posts to survive" exactly anyways.

holy heck no

Loveless is one of like 3 good shoegaze albums ever anyways.

I hear you. I've listened to Loveless plenty of times thinking I'm missing something. You have any other albums like that?

haha I feel lime

like albums that i don't get the critical acclaim for?

if so, quite a few. all of pink floyd save for piper and bits of meddle, the queen is dead, the doors' s/t, sticky fingers, agætis byrjun, doolittle, what's going on, the devil and god are raging inside me, the stone roses' s/t, screamadelica, relationship of command, every mars volta album, i could keep going...

I feel like some songs from Loveless are okay at best to put on when you have friends over, and some are at worst so boring that I'd really just never listen to them again. As an album, it's pretty low down there because the vast majority of music on it is just plain old boring. If you removed all the distortion and reverb it'd basically just be any pop ditties on there, and no one would care. And there have been others experimenting with timbre way, way before MBV. Of course, they didn't do it through a bunch of electronic effects just, but through the composition itself, which is just far more interesting, don't you think?

Legit hilarious post, good job. Probably top ten of 2017 so far.

thanks

I second most of these. A lot of the Smiths/JAMC stuff is entirely lost on me. Scrolling through RYM top, these are the only kinds of albums I haven't dug into. I think Pink Floyd is good tho

>i think that MBV is a decent band but the amount of acclaim they get boggles my mind
most acclaim is probably from the fact that they created the entire genre.

loveless and souvlaki come from two completely different origins to arrive at a similar conclusion. Souvlaki uses more of the Indie-dream-pop (yuck, gay) shit and Loveless uses more noise pop/rock (for cool dudes with hot cocks) shit

top laugh

>if you remove the elements from an album that made that album interesting it would no longer be that album
stop posting /rym/ meme-composers pal-o

>If you removed all the distortion and reverb it'd basically just be any pop ditties on there, and no one would care.
i totally agree. if loveless were an acoustic album, for whatever reason, it wouldn't have a tenth of the critical acclaim it gets now. it's just a blandly written album.

>to arrive at a similar conclusion
lmao no

>most acclaim is probably from the fact that they created the entire genre.
fair enough, but the path was definitely already laid out for them to do so by the jesus and mary chain, a.r. kane, and p much the entire genre of noise rock.

>missing the point
The entire point is that Loveless is bland and uninteresting disguised under loads of distortion and reverb. Distortion and reverb, to me, does not make music interesting, which is why I don't like it.

Agree. I see why people would be easily fascinated with something like that, because it's sort of different, but it would be so much better if there was actually something of substance under the shiny baubles and make up that is all most people seem to see.

All they had to do was add some more reverb and make the underlying music even less interesting. Congratulations, indie cred for decades to come.

I think the songwriting is fine but I feel like this criticism is a bit irrelevant, it does have the effects all over it and the noise is what makes it great. A lot of pop is just about how you play the music, to me anyway.

>A lot of pop is just about how you play the music
this is the only important thing that has been said all thread

similar conclusion meaning two different approaches to the same genre

>>missing the point
you really need to stop using this when it doesn't apply lmao

that's also fair, and i really do like the album and it's sound a lot, i just can't help shake the feeling that the reverb is used to mask some of the less than stellar songs.

"only shallow", "sometimes", and "when you sleep" are expertly written, but to me there aren't that many other songs on the album that don't exclusively rely on the reverb and noise.

But you were missing the point. That's why you strawmanned the fuck outta my comment.

This is fair. My general rule is to avoid letting production (good or bad) affect my overall feeling about an album. Just seems shallow to criticize, for example, like a Kraftwerk album for having dated-sounding synths, ya know?

Anyone else have a take on this?

succ my yam boi

obv choice

Well, at least were talking about music now.
Baby steps.

I really want to make a sarcastic Family Guy reference but I also feel like people will think I like Family Guy so I won't.

Wew lad, go back to your isolated tier for being so fucking imba.

It's easy discussing music that everyone has heard, that's why popular music is popular. But it's oh so boring.

good thing ur above that shallow stuff huh
my take on it is take it in with what context on it you have and don't think too much about it if that's what you come up with, if you know what i mean

I do agree that there are some songs that rely on the reverb and noise but for me they'd manage to hone down that sound so that the effects do make up for the songwriting on those tracks.

When you go back and listen to Isn't Anything/early EPs it really makes you appreciate how great Loveless sounds.

Nah, if something sounds dated (or bad) it sounds dated (or bad) for me, production is how the music sounds, I'm not really able to forgive it because they've written some good songs but played it on a stylophone.

true, i really don't like the sound of isn't anything at all.

Is there any other album that is as polarizing on /daily/ as Loveless? I feel like it's definitely the album that has the most lovers AND haters. Probably because it's popular enough that everyone has actually heard it maybe.

Okay I’m gonna talk about music real for a sec.

Yusef Lateef - Yusef Lateef’s Detroit
>Jazz-Funk, Hard Bop

Feels like a soundtrack to a 70s blaxploitation film honestly. Nice funky grooves and great flute/sax/trumpet solos all over this. Reminds me a lot of what I’ve heard from Grover Washington. Aside from “Eastern Market”, which is terrific, there aren’t any real standouts - it just kind of meshes together into a solid funk soundtrack. Still quite enjoyable but not at the same level as Eastern Sounds.

3/5

Sonic Youth - Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star
>Alt Rock, Noise Rock

Maybe I’ve just skipped over their rougher works but I haven’t found anything disappointing from these guys yet. Feels a bit all over the place (though, I guess that’s the point) but it’s still an enjoyable album. Plus, songs like “Bull In the Heather” and “Androgynous Mind” are certainly among their best and the rest is pretty solid at the least. There’s noisier, more aggressive tracks and more mellow, Murray Street-esque tracks that are straight up comfy. The fact that this lacks the focus of their other albums definitely hurts though.

I can see this growing on me honestly.

3/5

Built To Spill - Live
>Indie Rock, Alt Rock

I said earlier that I’m not too big on live albums - but this is a bit of an exception. The concert atmosphere is a perfect fit for Built to Spill, only adding to the cozy, lo-fi feel that’s usually present on their tracks. Also, these guys are great performers. The extended solos add new life to the tracks and never seem to wander on too long. Even the ~20 minute tracks are fabulous. In fact, “Cortez The Killer” is far and away the best part of this album. Though “Randy Described Eternity” comes quite close. Anyway, it’s fantastic from start to finish.

4/5

Damn, I love Isn't Anything. And the EPs that I've heard

Not that I can think of. This same argument pops up every few weeks lol

>real for a sec

Whoops, mixed together "real quick" and "for a sec"

What about the ultimate hipster indie garabe album? What do people REALLY think about it? My guess is this is too popular and too many will just hate it for that.

>Not that I can think of. This same argument pops up every few weeks lol
True facts.

the mollusk is up there

isn't anything is aight, i think it's got some better tunes than loveless but they really honed their sound on loveless.

>Is there any other album that is as polarizing on /daily/ as Loveless?
Prolly not, Beatles could come close
>Probably because it's popular enough that everyone has actually heard it maybe.
Nah, everyone heard Spiderland or Long Season, both are loved by the majority

ooh, forgot about ITAOTS.

i really don't understand the hatred for it, I've always loved it and i probably always will, mangum's a great writer and a passionate singer and the more upbeat songs are incredible.

All three of those albums were so bad I listened to them once before throwing them in the trash.

To throw my two cents in, there isn't another album that really sounds like Loveless, so I'd consider that a worthy achievement.

I think once an album achieves meme status you can say goodbye to any reasonable discussion about it because you can accuse people in all three camps (love, hate, neutral) for faking it

Personally I don't get the hype, but it isn't as bad as people make it out to be

Loveless is probably objectively the greatest album of all time :^)
ps fuck dogevillage

I just think that sounding dated is often out of the musician's control and relies more on the trends from following years or decades. Thinking back to 10 years ago when mainstream pop re-embraced what were previously considered cheesy 80's sounds. I just try to separate older albums I listen to from the current stylistic ~zeitgeist~

that's boring, post some food pics u nerd

lmao it was such a shitshow on /vp/ when MRQ broke Ubers. Loved every second of it.

Probably not, Loveless is the essential "Loved or Hated" desu

Ween in general is pretty "loved or hated" imo

Long Season isn't really "loved or hated" it's more "loved or thought it was just okay"

Didn't you at one point have a rym? Why did you delete it/the ratings?

What's daily's opinions on TMR? Outside of /daily/ it's definitely "the" love/hate album

From what I have surmised, ACTUAL /daily/core consists of:

Spiderland
Black Saint & Sinner Lady
Leaves Turn Inside You
Loveless(probably)

ay i knew you'd love at least one of The Payback/Curtis

MBV's early stuff isn't bad but I don't find it anywhere near Loveless, some of the effects sound pretty shitty. This Is Your Bloody Valentine is pretty poor tho, it's a poor Cramps rip off.

I do try and see things with an open mind but if something sounds really cheesy I'm not going to try and force myself to like it. I tried getting into rockabilly a while back but some of that stuff from the 50s does just sound ridiculously dated. I get what you're saying though.

is pretty good

There it is.

ITAOTS is phenomenal. It's a seminal indie rock album, nearly genre defining. The songwriting is top notch, and Magnum's vocal performance is brilliant in every aspect and elevates an otherwise just good album to excellence. It's all killer and no filler

It's the middle of the fucking night, I don't have food in front of me. But I'll tell you what I had for dinner. I made a marinade with some olive oil, fish sauce, red chili, soy sauce, ginger and ketchup in which I put some european hake (a white fish) before frying it on high temp and charring it a bit with my burner. Ate it with bulgur, a simple sallad and some quark and lime sauce. Delicious, easy to make, healthy.

Literally the biggest "Eh" I could muster.

>Didn't you at one point have a rym? Why did you delete it/the ratings?
Deleted literally years ago. Like, 2012. I didn't feel like the 3000+ ratings I had there really reflected my tastes well anymore and I wasn't gonna go through it to change everything. It served literally no purpose other than as ammunition for people who wanted to attack me and tell me my taste was shit, even though the RYM ratings were old and way inaccurate.

Post music

You're right. I usually relegate to "I don't know." Most of Kraftwerk is an example of that, in fact

We literally are, and what you're doing is just straight up shitposting in comparison.

I feel like I have no idea what you're talking about with that reply. What do you mean with that Kraftwerk comment

Yo guys I'm making my next chart for this month. Help me out by reccing me any of the 700+ albums from this list you think I should hear:

The official /daily/core artists:

>Mingus
>Haino
>Fishmans
>Unwnd
>Lil Ugly Mayne
>Jorge Ben
>Jim O'Rourke
>That Thai meme album
>Henry Flynt
>Even Oxen
>That Russian punk thing
>Coil
>Lay Ralleyzay Day New Day
>Suicide
>Sun City Girls
>Swans
>Coltrane
>Morton Feldman
>That meme Bach fugue performance

Did I mess anyone?

I feel like people who think its 5/5 appreciate what it is more than the content of the music

there are, of course, exceptions to this idea, but I highly doubt everyone on rym who gave it a 5 (and a lot have) listen to it frequently

Ape of Naples too

both of the electric light orchestra records

I'm glad to see that I turned you on to Minor Thread! (I actually don't remember if I actually did I just assume I did because I'm full of myself)

swans and SCG are much less so but I'd also put in Fahey, Jorge Ben, and more recently, Built to Spill

That you're probably missing a lot of context to be hearing Kraftwerk for the first time in the 21st century, and while it sounds dated now, it likely sounded like the future at the time. How do you reconcile?

>Coltrane
Come on, try harder

lmao those are just a melody with reverb on it

meant to add about the rockabilly stuff, i bet if the Cramps played half those cheesy songs I'd love them.

I love Beefheart and most of the bands he inspired but I prefer there to be more structure in the weirdness, some of TMR is a bit dumb. It is still great though.

I need to get round to listening to Kraftwerk, I've been putting it off a bit for the exact reason of them being dated.

shit I misses Jorge Ben WHOOPS

*missed
I'm slow today :/

MONO & World's End Girlfriend - Palmless Prayer / Mass Murder Refrain (2005)

I disagree because I don't think Kraftwerk sounds dated.

Ratboy Genius
Big Lebowski
Pan.Thy.Monium
Diamanda Galas
Fred Frith
Destroy All Memes
Bohren & der Club of Gore

These are all the annoying looking ones that I saw

pic related could help
Recently:
>Spiderland
>Uneven Compromise
>Molam meme album
>maybe 77 Live
I'm always surprised by how many Current 93 fans there are here too

this is also true

>if you remove the distortion and reverb it would be bad
yeah and if my grandmother had wheels she would have been a bike

bert's blockbusters

And the next person on the missing the point train is...

put on some reverb hampus, maybe more people will like you

Nero's Day at Disneyland - From Rotting Fantasylands (2009)
>breakcore, glitch, IDM

Not a fan, to say the least. Ultra-spazzy, yet somehow totally one-note, and it's probably one of the most irritating records I've ever heard. It's so flashy and loud, but it lacks substance completely, it experiments with so many genres that I would consider myself fans of but it does them all so poorly and with so little tact. There's some very obvious production talent here, but you've gotta wade through about 12 layers of pointless "random" humor to find it.

Alela Diane - The Pirate's Gospel (2004)
>contemporary folk, singer/songwriter, indie folk

Diane is always identified as part of the "new weird america" movement along with contemporaries like Natalie Rose LeBrecht, The No-Neck Blues Band, and Sung Tongs-era Animal Collective, but there's a very distinct lack of "weirdness" in her music. It's straightforward, almost to a fault, consisting of simple folk tunes played straight with a guitar and Diane's lovely voice. There's some variations with slide guitar that give the music something of a country edge, and a very, /very/ slight influence from sea shanties, but the album is pretty much just 45 minutes of simple folk ditties. Very pleasant, but tedious.

2.5+

i like tmr quite a bit, mainly because of how impressive the instrumental work is.

yup, and i really hate that it's the number 1 Sup Forumscore meme because it's impossible to be serious about it in any way.

This seems to happen alot to you
Maybe you should learn to articulate better so your points are clearer, nice trips

I meant post 5x5's, project harder

Well Tuned Piano
X Los Angeles
Pawn Hearts
God Is More Than Love Can Ever Be
Cosmic Tones
...and I'm bored (and in class) so just those

Nah I liked punk long before /daily/ but I've been turning to it a lot lately, maybe your love has a psychological impact idk ask Hampus

Except the point is right there, in plain text, in the quoted post. It's just that the person decided to interpret it completely different to how it's written because it makes it easier to think that anyone who disagrees is just an idiot who doesn't into music ("remove the good parts lol ofc it's bad")

we did this last thread xDDxDD

Keep 'em comin boys:

added ;) lemme know if I missed any

posting this before i go away for the weekend in the morning, might update while i'm away but prob not.

>James Chance - The Flesh is Weak
It's better than I thought a James Chance album released in 2016 would sound but I still don't know what to rate it. Those covers were quite shit, and I can't help shake the feeling that it's a bit sanitised, you can tell this isn't some 20-something playing now. still 3/5

>Pleasure Model - Kendo Dynamics
I should really love house/techno music, it's rhythmic and repetitive which is normally the key to my heart but I just can't get into it. I'd enjoy it if I was out somewhere but I'm never gonna sit down and listen to it. Maybe i've just not found the right release yet. 2.5/5

ok maybe I just wanted to make that joke

Putting ya under the proverbial microscope here, and all that implies, but to me it seems like you're not a fan of the abstracted concepts of distortion and reverb, not specifically the sound. Or maybe vice versa? Whichever, thems broad strokes.

>If you removed all the distortion and reverb it'd basically just be any pop ditties on there, and no one would care.
This language is confusing then
>The entire point is that Loveless is bland and uninteresting disguised under loads of distortion and reverb
Right but when under loads of distortion and reverb it's p good imo

Just covering all my bases here, lest I miss the point again

Oh and I'm gonna rec that Savage Young Taterbug mini album anyway

its pretty mystical

Btw hampus, you listen to this shit yet? It's been making the rounds recently, but it's a few years old

Check out Komeda Quintet - Astigmatic
Full review coming, but I'm giving it like a 9 for now

This collage is a work of art

Black is Beautiful

eat a peach
all of the jorge ben on there but specifically a tabua de esmeralda
avalon blues
king tears bat trip
---> DARK DAYS EXIT LOOKS LIKE RAIN I'M HAPPY I'M SINGING CRIME RATE SKY-HIGH MANHATTAN RESEARCH INC SADNESS WILL PREVAIL

If you'd read my earlier posts, you'd see that my entire point revolves distortion not making music interesting for me. I feel like others have experimented with timbre in much more interesting ways before.

>The entire point is that Loveless is bland and uninteresting disguised under loads of distortion and reverb. Distortion and reverb, to me, does not make music interesting, which is why I don't like it.
This is what you quoted, it's right there, in plain text. Distortion doesn't make music interesting to me.

What is it?

well good points u have there but if hampus is not a fan of it it just means it's bad

The Pogues - Rum Sodomy & the Lash (now!!!)
The Allman Brothers Band - Eat a Peach
The Dead Milkmen - Big Lizard in My Backyard
Public Image Ltd - First Issue
Swell Maps -...In "Jane From Occupied Europe"

tell me if u need more, loads of good shit there

added

This is true.

best collage ITT

Hey hampus, what's your favorite kind of architecture? It's not a meme like Brutalism is it?

This is UC Davis right?

I like brutalism but generally just basic, minimalistic modernist architecture.

According to Reddit, yes.