youtu.be/miUeho304b0?t=6m41s
youtube.com/watch?v=XMCgqjYA424
youtube.com/watch?v=vTj4XDKXK_g
vocaroo.com/i/s1G49v9tmCDX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ratings on my attempt at composing a song a.clyp.it/qbjc0ffn.mp3
And a riff a.clyp.it/oxm5hb50.mp3

And on my blues soloing instagram.com/p/BNNg3tHDOpK/

What are some good /meal/ sounding dissonant chords. I want to jump on the dissonant black metal meme train with deathspell omega

>tfw running out of room for all your gear

>tfw tryna figure out jojo's tbc song

Just experiment dude. If you're approaching it from a formulaic point of view you're just going to make shit.

>Learn dissonant intervals
>Construct chords using those intervals
>???
>Profit

>song
Really need to work on your timing and tune that guitar. Otherwise, I don't have much to say. It's boring to me, but whatever. Also, cut that thumping shit out.

>Riff
Sounds generic. Again, your timing needs help.

>Soloing
There's nothing interesting about your playing here, to be blunt; it sounds like you got a bunch of licks off of guitar world and put them one after another. You're not giving yourself much time to breath, it's just lick... stop.... lick... stop.... etc. Your playing is also sloppy at the beginning

Overall, I'd definitely recommend you to practice more slowly and to a metronome. You have a sense of music, but your hands are detached from your head, in a way.

Is it better to just give up and go to sleep and kill myself eventually?

>hit it exactly on the head
You're like one of those technically okay guys plugged in at the guitar shop playing for 45 minutes straight hoping someone will notice tbqhwitufam, keep working

drop tuning
5 5 7 3 X X

It's just a minor add9 chord, but the 2nd and 3rd being right next to each other makes it a bit dissonant. It can sound pretty dark if you move that same shape around

Also simple stacked tritones
X 7 8 9 11 X

No. Your playing reeks of someone that never took the time to learn the fundamentals and how to actually play cleanly. Take the time to learn to play cleanly, on time, and with patience. Your playing sounds like trying to show me everything you can do all at once. Focus on the actual music of what you're playing, not just patterns and fingerings. But keep at it. I hope I don't sound discouraging, but I was like you around 4 years ago after 6~ years of playing. I could play fast, sure, but it was sloppy half the time, and the other half it was very unmusical. Practicing my rhythm and learning theory has made me an immensely better player, and it would behoove you to do the same, unless you want to stay in garbage psuedo blues land for ever.

Also, listen to other types of music. SRV didn't only listen to blues. Hendrix didn't only listen to blues. They listened to a lot of stuff, which gave them more influences to pull from.

That guy sound wise. I second that.

Can I get some of /gg/'s opinions on this guitar track I threw together? First thing I've recorded with electric guitar; I'm an acoustic rhythm player native of like 7 years that has no fucking clue how to get into pedals or any of that shit. I have a blues driver that I might've used for this track, and recruited some random bassist that my producer was friends with to autistically fill in bass with some notation I came up with.

soundcloud.com/moshyells/moshh-rogues

pic related is the cheap $200 strat I recorded it with + picked up from a shop in Pittsburgh mindlessly 4 years ago, hardly've used it

>soundcloud.com/moshyells/moshh-rogues
Shits bit too good to be true..

>too good to be true

You think?

Yeah. Smooth as fuck. Really great. But Iam high as hell so what do i know?

Stop samefagging.

>post a regular solo on /gg/ and they tell me it's not bad but i'm a faggot
>a shredder posts a solo on /gg/ and they say it's shit
neurons in overdrive

because most shredders have never heard of the word "phrasing" or "running up and down the minor scale at 220bpm is an exercise not a song"

Most shredding is shit. Besides like, a couple handful of guitarists that have lived, most of it sounds like garbage.

Lmao I had a friend with a local studio back in uni, but yeah that was the story. Recording shit w/ him was a fucking trainwreck. What was supposed to be 11 songs turned into 5 very rushed ones w/ this as one of my favs.

b-but

>Post a decent solo and act like a faggot and /gg/ says it's not bad but you're a faggot
>Post shitty shred on /gg/ and they say it's shit
I don't see the problem

does that solo the shirtless lad posted even qualify as shredding?

wasn't even that fast

Just been dicking around on my guitar unplugged tonight. Experimenting with the 2 note high/low kinda thing. Thoughts? I posted this in the last thread but was unplugged. Its nothing special, its something I got out of jamming with myself not long ago but wanted to get some opinions if it was in the right direction of sounding good

vocaroo.com/i/s1RUydSLfFd4

more upbeat/strumming
vocaroo.com/i/s0GQTornFUm6

What makes a good bass guitar?

I currently play guitar in a hardcore/ grind/ black metal band but we're having trouble finding a bassist so I figure I'd do it myself.

Any recommendations for a cheap bass that can do metal and/ or less edgy music too?

He was talking about the other knobhead

uuuuh, how many frets are on a typical strat???

It sounds clean and on time. I can't say more than that.

Whatever you're doing you're doing it so keep at it, don't know what else there is to say tbqh, sounds like a generic green day riff

What does /gg/ think about EQ pedals?

I use mine religiously and love it but I feel like I don't see them on other posters' pedal boards.

I use an EHX 10 band EQ. Anyone got any recs for some other ones?

>can do metal and/ or less edgy music too?

Schecter

They have the perfect look for both heavier and softer styles too.

Thanks for taking the time to listen. Yeah its pretty generic I do agree, its essentially just following a 4 chord structure (bar chords minus the space). I like the 2 note high low so its something I want to work with and hopefully get something much less generic out of it

What are some of your favorite guitar solos/videos /gg/?

This one's one of my all-time from the 00's. Mayer fucking you in the ear.
youtu.be/miUeho304b0?t=6m41s

>They have the perfect look for both heavier and softer styles too.

How much thought would you guys put into the look of the guitar in terms of the genre you're playing?

For example, if you could, somehow, get a tone you think is perfect for folk out of a B.C. Rich, would you play it live?

I know one of the Slipknot guitarists plays a tele, but that's such a versatile guitar I don't really think about it. Any other artists that use gear that doesn't seem to fit their genre?

>starts at 6:41 btw

>practice every day until my fingers hurt
>still don't feel like I'm getting better

Time to start learning more songs and figuring out more theory if you already don't know it pal and by figuring out more songs I mean do it by ear

>Any other artists that use gear that doesn't seem to fit their genre?

Hetfield plays hollow bodies quite often, Townshend a Rickenbacker. Just a couple off the top of my head.

Guess when you're a huge band with all the amplification and EQ in the world you can play whatever the fuck you want.

>Take the time to learn to play cleanly, on time, and with patience
How to practice that?
I've been focusing on playing cleaner and improving technique lately, by doing finger exercises and noodling paying attention to the technique and precision.
But never play to a metronome except when recording, that is completely lacking. Though i can play in tempo enough to double recordings without sounding like complete crap.

About theory, i know the scale intervals, chord theory, modes, and know the fretboard quite decently. Afterall its all intervals. What should i study?

>Focus on the actual music of what you're playing
I try to be musical but find it hard to do that consistently like a whole solo. Often feel lost (and detached as you said), like that point in the beginning when i switched to that lower octave fill cause couldnt follow with actual phrasing.
>not just patterns and fingerings
I am usually restricted to the patterns i'm used to and know the sound of

>unless you want to stay in garbage psuedo blues land for ever
I surely dont

>Also, listen to other types of music. SRV didn't only listen to blues. Hendrix didn't only listen to blues. They listened to a lot of stuff, which gave them more influences to pull from.
What types of music should i get into? My music folder doenst have much beside blues & blues derivations. What would help would be stuff like folk, motown, flamenco, bossa, jazz?

Thanks a lot for taking the time

Thats really good, sounds pro

Dont these guys usually just play the most standard licks on the pentatonic boxes of root in E and B string?

I don't see how knowing music theory will necessarily make my technical ability any better, but I'm listening

This one
youtube.com/watch?v=XMCgqjYA424

It surely has dynamics, what are you talking about

learn your arpeggios and start following the chord changes closely. does wonders for your soloing (even in blues) and improves your understanding of the fretboard

>switching your ip

kys yourself

>I don't see how knowing music theory will necessarily make my technical ability any better

?

of course it will. theory can kinda be split into two "knowledges", scales and structure, and progression. your playing fluidity will improve hugely once you start realizing why a said chord or note follows another, and with a particular voicing.

kek become a shred master who can only play from tabs then

Not the user you replied to, but I notice my hands kinda disconnect from my brain, I only know patterns that sound good and find myself using them over and over in improv. Does learning deep theory help with this?

yes cause its easier than just using paint brush

Holy shit is everybody the same?

Think real hard about the melodies you want to play. Also try singing or humming as you play and try and play the lines you are singing

more than help, it's the only way to break it. i'm pretty sure rob chapman knows no theory, and he's an expert but still has that problem and i can't listen to him because of it. he says for the song he's proudest of he tuned his guitar randomly. it broke his ability to just play licks he's memorized and resulted in him making something musical. one would think he'd realize something was wrong but oh well

>once you start realizing why a said chord or note follows another, and with a particular voicing
is there anything besides "II and V chords and any other made-dominant chords triggers its 4th"? like a G7 triggers a C, or a II triggers a V

Start playing to a metronome. I don't care what you say, if you're not playing with one, you're not playing on time.

Do you actually know what to do with intervals? Do you know what's going on when you play A7 > D7 > G?

Motown is cool, but it's not very guitar centric. Unless you want to learn bass, anyway. Jazz is always the answer, honestly. Find some bebop songs you like and try to transcribe theme.

michael hedges said something similar once - that he could only use the same tuning for a 2 or 3 songs before he started knowing it too well to come up with anything interesting

I used to watch and tolerate his videos because he plays heaps of different gear but he literally just repeats the same shit over and over. Same with the other guy he does them with, except he has no technical ability either.
At this point I only watch them if they have other people in them

He knows some theory but all he does it the same two licks and scale runs and doesn't use it

There's a lot. Do you understand and utilize tritone substitution? Do you understand why there are only 3 dim7 chords? Do you understand how voice leading works? How about chromatic mediants? Secondary dominants? How about avoid tones? Cantus firmus? Altered chords?

There's a lot to learn besides ii V I

There is nothing wrong with relying on patterns and licks that you know sound good, literally every blues and bluesrock player do that and their solos still are thought and musical

There isn't anything wrong with it but if it's all you do in a solo then you are going to sound unmusical and shit

>not audiating everything you play
>isshy giddy

>their solos still are thought and musical

debatable

blues going electric was a mistake

>tube amps
>Pedals
>Gibson guitars
>Fender guitars
>Bass guitars with more than 4 strings
>Erg's
>Stone and/or wood picks
>Expensive cables
>Jazz guitar
>Blues guitar
>Anything "handwired"
>Pointy guitars
>Fender guitar plugged right into a Marshall stack

O I am laffin

Any tips for learning flamenco guitar?

what's wrong with Gibson guitars

pic related, it's my bitch

it's a bitch that's for sure

I bet you jack off to angus young's naked ass.

also
>responding to year old bait
fuck off new boi

I've always found slower lead blues hard to play even though technically it's a cakewalk. Trying not to be a pretentious fuck here but to play anything interesting it has to be done with "feel". No clue how to structure different parts and tempo changes

>what's wrong with Gibson guitars
>
>pic related, it's my bitch

>resting it on the tuners

>out on the street
where it belongs desu

I feel like writing my songs out in tux guitar or guitar pro so I can know how it's going to sound and I have a backing track to record along to is just raising my standards too much when I actually record and it doesn't sound or perfect toned as sharp as I think it should

The cm chord and the bar chord minus the octave are great to start with, and experiment until you have progressions that sound compossive

angus whome??

It's got a bit of bondo repair on the heel, a shit ton of scars all over it, and more. I'm not super concerned with the superficial condition, desu.

:/ it plays really well

kek you think somebody dumb enough to but an SG in vomit le creme color would know how to take care of it. Judging by him calling it his "bitch" I can only assume he is some 17 year old who got it for christmas or some shit.

>angus whome

Seconded. I was so into the idea of mastering that shit back in college I convinced myself that I was going to do a semester away in Spain just to study it. Ended up breaking my classical and doubling down on blues though.

Still live vicariously through Rodrigo y Gabriela and get my hardcore rhythm playing on from time to time on my new Taylor though.

youtube.com/watch?v=vTj4XDKXK_g

>double sharps
>double flats
What's the point?

it's polar white, but it's from 83, so the whites faded. It's vintage cool 8)

watched these guys' KEXP set a while back, awesome playing but even more impressive is how tight they are.

Ok i'll start doing that, gotta get the discipline.

Yeah i can find them on the fretboard, i know which of them are the root ones, dominants and subdominants; although i'm still on the practice to think fast enough to land on the current chord's function i want.
The A7 calls for its fourth, the D, and so does the D7 calls for a G. Thats it?

Isnt it about overal music repertoire? I guess i want to learn bass too, cause i learned the basslines of a couple songs and that already gave me new ideas/licks, also i learned to use that standard 4-chromatic-notes bass run. Actually got interested on motown cause gene simmons and paul stanley said they are influenced by that, never heard of it before but i'm already talking too much. How to find bebop songs?

Damn no to all i guess.

This is the problem with gibson. He is still fucking talking about his yard sale piece of shit guitar. All gibson owners are like this.

vocaroo.com/i/s1G49v9tmCDX
been playing for seven months and made this lick a few days ago, please tell me what do you think

>haha it's le vintage
>lol yeah it like totally has that classic GIBSON FEEL
>lol yeah the neck is really uncomfortable and fat and hard to play anything but blooze chords on but that gives it le character.
>Yeah I named her Jessica after the girl who left me after she caught me with the headstock in my ass.

>Yeah I named her Jessica after the girl who left me after she caught me with the headstock in my ass

omg

If you have you have to play a G in the key of G#, you could write it as a G, but then you'd have no F in your key, so F## is better.

Just youtube bebop songs. Donna Lee is a fun one.

As for the dominant thing. A7 doesn't call for it's IV. It's a secondary dominant. The V of D is A7. So a ii V I can be read as V/V (five of five) V I. So you're using fifths to lead into another chord.

All that stuff I mentioned you can learn, it just takes actually wanting to. Studying harmony in jazz has helped me a lot.

yeah we all are :') Sorry I don't want to play a thrift store guitar.

Have you ever played an older gibson? The necks aren't fat, they're thin (depending on the model). In particular, SGs aren't known for thicker necks. I don't like Ibanez thin necks, and SGs have a good thinness while still being round.

You are the fag here for not being abre to play nice fat necks
The lesser tension of the short scale plus 9s plus the thinner fretboard is pure heaven

sounds like you have potential. keep practicing

>>Yeah I named her Jessica after the girl who left me after she caught me with the headstock in my ass.
That's literally me

thanks for the feedback man, once I finish all the songs I have unfinished I'll upload them here beforehand

>every guitar that isnt a gibson came from a thrift shop

This is just delusion. This is what they actually think. Im laughing so fucking hard.

my LTD ESP is named michelle after my ex. it really looks just like her, black and brown and she had brown eyes and black hair

My guitar is named after my ex too. Because no matter how much I love my guitar there will always be strings attached

>This is just delusion. This is what they actually think. Im laughing so fucking hard.

Yeah shit, you're right :/ let me sell my guitar and buy something the internet wants me to play? Hey guys, should I buy a CV tele or a CV tele?

I've had 20+ guitars, of which were several gibsons, fenders, taylors, carvin, prs, and a squier. Gibson makes the guitars I like playing, usually. No other manufacturer has a vintage market that readily has set bridge, nitro finishes, block inlays, humbuckers, 3 way switching, and comfortable heel access besides PRS. I like how SGs look more than PRSs, so Gibson it is.

who /jelly/ here?

that strat looks a bit malformed

ok

that's a nice color strat. How's that amp sound?

what's the most heroic sounding mode

>naming your guitar

my guitar is named GD10
because that's the model
you fucks