This picture shows that the definition of a musician is one who plays a musical instrument

This picture shows that the definition of a musician is one who plays a musical instrument.
Given the definition of a musician, can a rapper or hip-hop artist be considered a musician?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S70019143
youtube.com/watch?v=VQpWQgLcTi8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

saged
we've done this already

yes
the voice is an instrument

the voice is an instrument ya dip
"musician" isn't a marker of quality

also, if it's more to yr taste, consider that minstrel is a listed synonym

damn, I thought enough time had passed
what is reasonable then, a month or two to post this again?

also, I'll never understand how you guys will continue to defend this. I suppose you feel the same way about me though.
It isn't like I cover my ears and start screeching any time I hear rap in public or anything, and frankly, I'll never share these views irl because I know I'll be the only one, but I still just don't get it

I have been playing an instrument for a few years now, and it never bothered me until I learned something to play on my own. You realize that these guys aren't actually even doing anything, they just toss rhymes into a mic and get hailed as actual, legitimate musicians. What did they work towards? What skill is involved?
Besides that, most of the lyrics in rap revolve around genuinely immoral happenings, and I was told that lyrics don't matter - how can that be true in a genre where the lyrics are everything?

huh i haven't seen this pasta before i guess i need to hang out in meme threads more often

>What did they work towards? What skill is involved?
making money from white ppl
anyway majority of them see themselves as entertainers

I posted this on new years eve, and made Sup Forums really mad

I still stand by it all though, I really meant every bit of it. Again, these are things you simply can't share in public, but as someone who has been playing an instrument now for a while and loves it, it is ridiculous to see people who can't play an instrument being hailed as musicians

that would be like me being called an olympian if I just jog a few miles each week

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S70019143

>What did they work towards? What skill is involved?
If it's so easy then go make us a great rap album and post a link here. You can bump the thread as long as you wish. I figure it shouldn't take you longer than a day or two if no skill is involved.

I've been playing guitar and drums for over ten years and I rap too. There's a lot more too it than what you're implying, learning how rhyme schemes work, understanding flow, figuring out different ways to convey emotion, finding a way to get your message across while rhyming, while making it not sound corny as fuck, while figuring out more and more technical rhyme schemes so people keep actively listening to you, dynamics, learning about set up's and punchlines, wordplay in general.
Sure, anyone can rhyme words, but not anyone can rap well.

But I probably just wasted a lot of time seeing as this whole thread is bait anyway.

conceding that someone is a textbook musician isn't saying anybody here thinks that makes them good musicians
similar to how jackson pollock is inarguably an artist; whether he is a good artist is besides the point, taste has no place in the debate

even if the voice is an instrument, rap is more about the lyrics being spoken rather than the voice of the rapper. i guess a counter-argument here would be that good flow counts as having rhythm and vocal melody. imo they can be considered musicians if they make their own beats, but if not i consider them performers.

>rap is more about the lyrics being spoken rather than the voice of the rapper.
Go record a normal person trying to rap over any popular rap track. It will sound horrendous, even if they use the artist's exact lyrics.

vocaroo yourself singing or rapping then, if it's that easy

>InstallAFriend
>Asking for a vocaroo voice sample
Boi,

everyone is a musician because everyones heart beats

truuuue

guys, check out this poetry

"nigga"

where is my grammy and platinum standing now?

If this shit you fedora tippers say is true how come this guy isn't multi-plat?

youtube.com/watch?v=VQpWQgLcTi8

are chanters considered musicians then? in the sense of gregorian chant, or koranic recitations, tibetan monks, etc

no because RELIGION can't be art because religion is for dumb sheeple unlike myself

fuck religion AND rap