youtube.com/watch?v=1r6WSUlvQ20
youtube.com/watch?v=fXjfvEcAV6w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Freddie Hubbard

yea not jazz

You rang?

>Sup Forums
>liking music
desu tho, i don't think Sup Forums is much of a place for music discussion anyway, it's really mostly memes and has been for a long time now

the last jazz general that died had over 100 posts

#CRUSHED

GLORY TO THE GODS!

lets discuss jazz right now

so jazz......thoughts???

THIS.

/KKB/ WILL DESTROY ALL GENERALS.

Had this on repeat latley:
youtu.be/eVrYbKBrI7o

Herbie is the best prove me wrong.

(Protip: Music is subjective so you probably may be able to based on your personal taste in jazz)

Even if we could have a successful jazz general this faggot would just derail it by shitposting herbie.

Why bother? As long as herbie's #1 fan xD is here, you're not gonna be able to have a good jazz general.

What are some interesting takes on Naima?

This one is pretty fun.

youtube.com/watch?v=nR7i_MDeq4o

this has rockist jazz written all over it

not listening to it

Oh shut up I left the last jazz general alone. And the first guy wasn't even me, I was the last 2.

tripfags talk about jazz to look smart

>anyone else think loveless and spiderland are good albums XD 1991 was the greatest year ever, I wish i was born the ;_; XD

Yeah it's worth a listen more for the novelty than actually being a cover.

>le good jazz meme

skibbibity dibbity bop bop do xD

name ONE song that does this

my favorite release from last year was from Julian Lage's trio, don't remember the name but it was fucking good. Only getting into Lage's music recently but he's got so much fucking passion, and pulls out some brilliant sounds considering he's not very pedal-oriented.

I also loved Andrew Cyrile's quintet release with Bill Frisell and Ben Street. Nice wild free jazz and Frisell manages to give it a real grounded honest atmosphere to keep things digestible.

What were some of your favorite releases of the last 2016?

I'm really looking forward to the album Chris Thile and Brad Mehldau are putting out at the end of the month on Nonesuch, too. Mehldau's always been a bit of a boring pianist in my book, but I've seen videos of them playing together and Chris' bluegrass energy really lets Brad put his ridiculous chops to good use.

Any other recors to be looking forward to?

Craig Taborn's playing in my city in his quartet, but I don't know who's gonna be in his band. Does anyone have any idea who he's playing with these days?

fuck off this list sucks i have no idea why it's posted on here constantly

yeah the most "discussion" on this board is just affirming eachothers taste or tearing them apart with no reasoning or substance

what's wrong with it? these are good examples of the genre

>implying I like jazz
>ever

the list*

Just keep going, one more once

youtube.com/watch?v=wCmcoZktZG4

Craig Taborn's got a new ECM record coming out with that quartet. It's Chris Speed, Chris Lightcap and Dave King

They're playing at the vanguard in a couple months too but I won't be there then to see them

Is this considered jazz?
youtube.com/watch?v=BhV5DrRvDqc

That Lage record is Arclight, he's really finding his own sound on the solidbody.

Nah the examples are fucking horrible, particularly the avant-garde, free, fusion, 80s, 90s, and 2000s sections. No one will learn jack shit about jazz from this. A much better chart would be a list of a few players from each decade with a list of their bands/records and an explanation of their contributions/styles, that's much more conducive to the process of learning about jazz than a bunch of stupid distinctions in early jazz and then a jumble of random records from after 1960 when there are like a handful of dominant styles/scenes that could be traced. It's just catering to the RYM mentality.

oh shit that's gonna be fucking awesome. I saw Craig play in Ches Smith's trio but Mat Maneri's gay electric violin just stepped all over him and I didn't get to see him go nuts, but Ches was stealing the show anyways. And I had a chance to see Chris Speed play in Endangered Blood (with fucking Trevor Dunn) but I was out of town then too.

You're in NYC? Ever go to the stone?

Yeah, Arclight, that's the name. I downloaded all of his albums with Gary Burton a few days ago, really looking forward to hearing those cause in the video of them playing together on NPR they were fucking solid.

The live footage of Lage with the Arclight trio at the Blue Whale in LA is really good too. I'll have to check that NPR shit though
youtube.com/watch?v=1r6WSUlvQ20

>You're in NYC? Ever go to the stone?
I don't live in NYC but I try to make it there at least every couple months for a few nights. I've never been to the stone but I'd like to sometime if somebody I like was playing there. Then again if people like you hang there maybe I don't want to go.

>General threads

the only people who like Jazz are faggots that play Jazz

Yeah that dude in the middle of the audience digging his nails into his face and grooving hard is basically me IRL, desu senpai. Also Kenny's shirt is ridiculously cool. I always thought of him as Zorn's vibes player and only a year ago did I realize he was also a ridiculous bebop player.

Here's the NPR video
youtube.com/watch?v=fXjfvEcAV6w

Real pleasant warm pretty stuff, but tricky enough to get real into.

I don't play jazz but I'm starting to get into listening to it.

[spoiler]I wish I could play jazz though.[/spoiler]

Nah I'm not in NYC I'm in Seattle, sorry buddy, and don't worry I'm a real friendly guy in person I just like to act like a dick on Sup Forums because it's 90% people under the age of 15 ;)

The Stone's closing in early 2018 so you better go this year, pal, for me!

too busy jacking off to kpop, kero kero, grimes, and other essential virgin threads.

this album gets my dick so hard. imagine spending years being a nobody when you used to be a jazz-making stud eating white pussy every single fucking night then coming back and fucking slaying every cracker on sight with your killer new jazz tunes i mean yes duke destroy those mayoskins with your jazz

This shit makes me cry honestly. That being said what are the greatest musical jazz comebacks of all time?

Never knew that Kenny played vibes with Zorn! I always see him on records in that circle of folks though.

I should be able to be there for a full week sometime this year so I'll probably try to go one night.

what is the RYM mentality?

this

just learn a bunch of seventh chords and other wankery nonsense and look up Jazz scales

that's all Jazz is, improvising with scales and seventh chords and they all have such an uppity view of themselves from other genres of music

I mean, I know a bunch of jazz musicians who are real down to earth guys. Never met one that met the "uppity" stereotype. Except that they do practice for at least two hours a day, whereas my friends in rock bands NEVER practice except for LOL BAND PRACTICE or my "songwriter" friends who scribble down chords and lyrics. So in my experience jazz musicians work much harder at their craft than other styles of music.