Left or right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h60gdEi-B70
strawpoll.me/10370426
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

right

Right because memes

everyone says dark knight had bad dialogue, no more dead cops whatever, but batman begins had far far worse dialogue
rewatch the tumbler/police chase

Right. Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton don't know how to get in character. They just play themselves. Plus Keaton is a dyel bitch.

Right obviously. The 89 Batman is trash, though Batman Returns is kino.

left if you actually like movies
right if you like memes

Left. I literally hate TDKR

Right if you are not a hipster

Left if you are older than 16

This. I didn't feel like typing it out, but I saw somebody else already did.

This.

/thread

This.

TDKR was a Robin movie with brief Batman cameos. A poor finale.

I choose this.

>there are people in this very thread that think tdkr memes came about because the movie was good

[citation needed]

Right...89 is overrated imo and I never saw anything special in Returns. Honestly, the only 90s batman movie that I can watch from start to finish nowadays is Batman Forever.

for you

Left.

The Dark Knight Rises was absolute shit.

That is the correct answer.

I didnt feel like typing out 25 characters but will type out more than double that to express that I didnt feel like typing out 25 characters.

I choose the greatest.

Yes?

I prefer Bale's Bruce Wayne, but everything else about 89.

youtube.com/watch?v=h60gdEi-B70

What do you think about their opinion that this movie aged terribly?

Left over any of the Nolan movies.

Nolan is awful.

>aged terribly

What?

It means if it would be released today and compared with modern superhero movies, ppl would like it less, as it has too many villains, shitty action and plot.

nothing will top this movie
truly the best capefilm

Leftovers from the Dark Knight.

Not that it was good, either. In a way, it's what ruined DC. Warner keeps trying to emulate a movie that wasn't any good to begin with.

People are already too hard on Batman (89). Now you want to say TDKR is the better film? Please stop.

Right, if only for the first five minutes.

Left for a good Batman film.
Right for a modern capeshit meme flick.

Easily left.

They haven't even watched it. They just hate it 'cause Burton turned into a redundant hack and it's popular to shit on him now.

I like both, so what do I choose?

Batman returns was always garbage, and Sup Forums is the only place were I see ppl praising it. Honestly, the best 90s batman movie was batman forever.

You put them together.

>Honestly, the best 90s batman movie was batman forever.
Not this meme again.

The only thing more faggoty than Jim Carrey's portrayal of the Riddler is your opinion of that movie.

I didn't say it was some masterpiece, but it was better than Returns and B&R.

Returns is honestly a better film. It may not be a great Batman film from the perspective of how faithful it is to the comics, but that's a stupid stipulation anyway. Batman Forever has two Jokers as the main villains and the most forgettable Batman/Bruce Wayne of all time.

CinemaSins

BvS

At least make a poll, you faggot
strawpoll.me/10370426

something funny?

Dark Knight? Isn't it Dark Knight Rises?

CinemaSins is literally a joke series making fun of nitpicking that dumbasses take as serious film criticism and post on forums to prove their "argument" of why they have bad taste.

Cinemasins is just a gimmick to make easy money off popular opinion. Their opinions on films are just general consensus to maximize their fanbase.

Forever is better than Returns just off the fact that it actually attempts to explore batman's character and how it effects Bruce, or, in other words, tortures him. While at the same time doing a good job at paralleling that characterization with Robin.

And I find it funny that you're accusing Returns for having a forgettable Bruce/Batman when one of the major strikes against Returns, since its exception, is Bruce/Batman being over shadowed by the villains.

left is a better batman
right is a better film

In the Burton films, Batman is essentially the same as his villains, except he isn't outcast by society. The whole theme of Returns is that exploration. Batman is on a personal vendetta just like the other vigilantes in Gotham. Forever just copies and pastes the Batman/Bruce Wayne superhero origin theme not just with Batman, but also with Robin and adds nothing else to it at all. It just feels like the most generic way to tell that story. The villains in it are completely lacking as well. Neither had a real reason for acting the way they did other than "It's Jim Carrey!" and "What if Tommy Lee Jones were the Joker?". Penguin and Catwoman are really original and great villains with their own unique personalities, and reasons for acting the way they do. I don't think it's a mark against the film to say that the villains are interesting. Especially since they are there to reflect the whole point of Batman and vigilantism.

TDKR has no worth beyond memes and is a legit terrible movie

Batman Returns is decent but its also way too overrated. Its like WB just gave Burton a bunch of cash to do a bunch of Tim Burton shit instead of actually making a Batman film.

"I need more fire-breathing acrobat clowns over here. And get this...what if we put ROCKETS on the penguins backs?"

excellent taste

Yeah man fuck that creativity shit we need more comic pandering, thank god Marvel rectified that grave error

>Plot as rambling and incoherent as my uncle Mike after the stroke
>Catwoman is supernatural
>Those god awful sets
>The obvious budget cuts from the first leading to shooting almost exclusively on those sets with a cast of about 13 people
>Le wacky Tim Burton "What if Salvador Dali and Vincent Price made a movie together?" art direction
>Kino
Neck yourself, faggot.

>Le wacky Tim Burton "What if Salvador Dali and Vincent Price made a movie together?" art direction
>not knowing what German Expressionism is or Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

>Conflating not knowing with refusing to give Tim Burton that much credit

That's your own fault buddy because that was boldfaced his influence on both movies and in general for his early years as a director.

Batman Returns is literally cinema, film, movie, flick and kino all Frankensteined together into an intentionally grotesque and twisted opera the likes of which capeshit today is too terrified to even attempt when they could just ape the shitty comics in as bland and plastic a world as possible and rake in billions.

And for this alone Returns will forever remain the best capeshit ever made.

>Forever just copies and pastes the Batman/Bruce Wayne superhero origin theme not just with Batman, but also with Robin and adds nothing else to it at all.

Wtf the fuck are you talking about? Have you seen Forever? That main idea being explorer'd in that movie is the nature of revenge and remorse. Both Two-Face and Riddler want revenge and so does Robin. But what makes this theme worthwhile is how the movie connects Robin's vengeance with Bruce's backstory.

In forever, we find out that Bruce feels like he is responsible for killing his parents and that his entire life has been consumed by those feelings.

When Robin is introduced, Batman resist having him as a partner and explains to him from a point of experience that killing Two Face won't remove his pain, all it will will do is make his entire life about revenge. This subplot of linked grief is what add weight to Robin's presence in the movie and what motivates Bruce to reflect on his own life choices.

By the end of the movie both Batman and Robin are able to overcome that grief. Batman does it by choosing to be Batman instead of being obligated by vengeance, while Robin takes Bruce's advice and chooses to not kill Two-Face.

Please, I advise you to actually watch the movie if you seriously think Robin didn't add any dimension to the movie.

Also Bruce/Batman did nothing in returns.

Nah, it's an obvious influence. I'm not even saying that makes him a genius or anything. The work of early german filmmakers like Fritz Lang is a huge influence on his work.

And his use of it bottom tier garbage. Batman Returns is a bastardization of cinema. You mistake the Frankenstein for anything more than a retard stitching body parts together haphazardly in an effort to make something that looks like things crafted by their betters. Capeshit avoids the avant garde today because of blatant visual train wrecks like Batman Returns.

All this Returns praising is just fgt's meme'n.

Left. Batman Returns was better though.

Yeah it's because Batman Returns upset McDonald's and other kid friendly sponsors, can't have that today can we, I NEED my Subway Captain America / Iron Man carryall bag!

>this capecuck anger

Go back to Nolan and 'god of cinema' Snyder because clearly that's all you deserve

Returns was made entirely for children, don't pretend is was anything else. It's a children's movie. There's even a fucking giant duck car

It is an obvious influence. The same way a 3 year old sees the sun and sky and draws a flat blue line and an orange dot to represent it. Tim Burton is a fucking hack of the worst kind. He cranks out pale imitations of art without the depth inherent in the originals. If Batman Returns had a cogent plot that reinforced his use of that visual style then these faggots sucking at the Burton teat would have a point here.
See? The pretention is astounding. They either actually think I like modern assembly line flicks past mindless entertainment with the family, or they're already resorting to the tired old "Y-your side isn't any better!" argument insecure Marvel/DC faggots resort to ad nauseam on this board.

I'm a fan of Val Kilmer, but him and Chris O'Donnell bring absolutely zero acting ability to those roles to convey any sort of conflict or real emotion from those characters. The arcs are as template superhero story as you can get. The villains reasons for revenge come out of rushed and superficial connections to Bruce/Batman and also have that generic comic book setup and payoff. The themes and plot offers nothing interesting when it comes to that story and to throw a layer of badly done camp on top of that undermines any weight the film would have had. I've seen it and it gets worse with every viewing.

>It is an obvious influence. The same way a 3 year old sees the sun and sky and draws a flat blue line and an orange dot to represent it. Tim Burton is a fucking hack of the worst kind. He cranks out pale imitations of art without the depth inherent in the originals. If Batman Returns had a cogent plot that reinforced his use of that visual style then these faggots sucking at the Burton teat would have a point here.
No, it literally is an influence. That's not a subjective opinion or even a compliment of Burton's style. It's just a statement of fact. I'm not saying Burton is a genius.

I'm not saying it isn't an influence. I'm saying Burton doesn't deserve to be credited with it. Not for his efforts. We're agreeing, I'm just shit at articulating.

If I've seen a shittier non-meme post about batman I can't remember it.

for you

I don't think I agree with you. Burton is a post-modern director responsible for the look and aesthetic of many of the big films of the late eighties and nineties. His films aren't exactly filled with depth and meaning, but they at least offer a unique take on the genres they come from. The influence on his style doesn't mean he's beholden to carry the same weight that those earlier filmmakers had. You're acting like he wasn't influential at all. I would agree that nowadays he's pretty bad and doesn't seem to be trying anymore, but just on his visual style alone, his early works were heavily influential to pop culture and refreshingly unique.

Fair enough. I'm digging in too much in defending a half assed shitpost here. His shit was influential. I wouldn't seriously argue against that. What I'm saying was sparked from the meme poster up there calling his shit "kino". Batman Returns was as pop culture then as the Marvelshit is today. With as much depth inherent to the film and influence granted by the public as the comparison is wont to imply.

He did make visually unique titles for their time. Some were even pretty good. None of them were "le cinema".

Kino is pretty much a worthless word on Sup Forums. Just avoid the posters that use it and you'll find yourself much happier.

>With as much depth inherent to the film and influence granted by the public as the comparison is wont to imply.

That's wrong though. The villains in Batman Returns all being different aspects of Batman's persona was intentional from the start, Bruce sitting still in a dark room but springing to life when the signal shines is intentional, capeshit today has nothing beyond what you see is what you get.

>The villains in Batman Returns all being different aspects of Batman's persona
Is from the comics and is a part of his character. Every bit as much as Captain America stands for civil liberties. Bruce sitting in a dark room waiting to be Batman is nearly devoid of any meaningful subtext. Once again, a basic trait of the character.

The framing of the signal in the room is nice, though. PUREKINO!

>counted the characters of the post
You sad, sad bastard...

I'm not the guy who made that post. Its from the comics, yeah, but it's also conveyed in the film. The similarities in the penguin and bruce's childhoods as well as the desires and motivations of catwoman all reflect aspects of his personality. The film does reflect that. Now, as far as the shot goes. I think it looks really cool and that's probably the extent of it's intention. It's a really nice looking film though. Not necessarily super meaningful, but I'd say the aspects of the villains reflecting his personality are all there in the film.

That may be true based on what you're comparing it too. But in the case of Forever with Returns as the standard, I disagree with your analysis. Val was way more in control of the role than Keaton was in return, and I find penguin to be in the same tier as Riddler/Two Face as villains go.

Also, I have never claimed the movie was perfect or even that good. I said, when compared to Returns it does a decent job at exploring batman's backstory and linking with Robin giving him a reason to be in the movie.

The difference in our opinions has to do more with the standards we are using to base are arguments. I'm still convinced that Forever was by far the best 90s batman movie.

I hate how Burton portrayed Bruce as an autistic fgt. Where is the charismatic Bruce Wayne from the comics at? FUCK Burton!

He actually stripped away a layer of character doing this. It's irritating. Bruce IS bored of life outside being Batman. He puts on a social mask when he whores himself around with Gotham's upper crust. Burton here opts instead for blatant "LOOK GUYS HE IS SAD AND EMPTY WHEN NOT PUNCHING BAD GUYS" imagery.

>Muh comics

I hope you understand that I literally view you as subhuman. Like as far as I'm concerned people from Sup Forums are non-persons and not worthy of life on this earth.

Bruce Wayne doesn't really exist in the Burton movies. He's basically all Batman all the time. That's not something completely unique to his movies though. There's been arcs like that in the comics.

I'm not sure what you mean by based on what I'm comparing it to. I'm holding Forever to the same standard as Returns, which is whether or not they work as films. Like I said before, I really like Kilmer in other movies, but his line delivery and more importantly the way he does emotional scenes is awful in this movie. It feels like watching a non-actor or a soap opera actor. The way the dialog is written of course doesn't help. Keaton is playing a really specific interpretation of Batman/Bruce Wayne that is a little more unhinged and disconnected. I feel that he works well in that way. I feel like Forever is just applying the heroic archetype on top of the Burton interpretation, which causes it to clash and not work for me. I don't know, I feel like Penguin was an incredibly interesting take on that character and it's one of my favorite Danny DeVito roles. He's just such a cynical and smug little shit. Really reminds me of Trump's personality nowadays. Riddler and Two Face just felt like they were trying to do what the 60's Batman did, but without the self-awareness that show had.

I'm not arguing for a movie I think is not good. I really think Returns is a really good movie regardless of the Batman thing even. Forever applies the general plot points of the Robin origin story from the comics and I feel like that's your main reason for liking it. I don't think that should make a movie good just because it pays service to a story that was told infinitely better (Loeb's Dark Victory comic is great).

Batman Forever is just not a good movie. Sure, it does things that are more in line with classic Batman comics, but it doesn't execute them in a good or interesting way. Batman Returns doesn't stick to the comics at all, because it wants to tell its own story and I think it does it in a really good and interesting way.

>Understanding the source material for a movie you watch
>Intellectually inferior to someone who veges out on TV all day
You go get 'em tiger.

Is there a notable difference?

Knowing references don't make you smart.

>But ignorance does!

>that capecuck so pathetic he needs to use his """"knowledge"""" of the lowest form of media to accuse others of ignorance

>If I use enough memes to literally defend a lack of knowledge people on the internet will respect me more!

nobody cares about your funny papers kid, what should matter first and foremost is making a good movie (something capeshitters know nothing about as they've never seen anything that wasn't based on a comic)

Also if you're coming to Sup Forums to somehow garner 'respect' because you read literal shit smeared on a page you're in for a rude awakening. Hopefully capeshit and those who support it will have their day of the rope soon.

You two need to get a room

>l-l-l-l-look at me I r-r-r-r-read comics, you'd better respect me!

TDK is good, TDKR is shit

>what should matter first and foremost is making a good movie
Right. And Batman Returns is shit.
>Also if you're coming to Sup Forums to somehow garner 'respect' because you read literal shit smeared on a page you're in for a rude awakening.
Thank you for repeating what I said. You're good at the internet!