Are there any living composers as talented as Mozart?

Are there any living composers as talented as Mozart?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZXJWO2FQ16c
clyp.it/ek4wjo1r
youtube.com/watch?v=6Se0hqGl94U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Kanye

Devin Townsend and Tosin Abasi

I lol'd

Drake

Not as talented as Mozart, but I really like Steve Reich:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZXJWO2FQ16c

I feel bad for the musicians playing his music, though.

Grimes

>composers

You have to be able to produce a written score for a performer to be a composer. Its more than just "composing" music.

>A composer (Latin compōnō; literally "one who puts together") is a person who CREATES or writes music, which can be vocal music (for a singer or choir), instrumental music (e.g., for solo piano, string quartet, wind quintet or orchestra) or music which combines both instruments and voices

Are you saying Mozart's improvisations are illegitimate? Further proof.

in colloquial usage, composer refers to "art music" and musical artist refers to "popular music"
the distinction is kinda dumb 2bh

Exactly, you have to be able to write all of those without going through an orchestrator to be a composer.

Composers can and often do improvise. Lots of people improvise. Not all of them are composers.

>CREATES or writes
grimes creates music, therefore she's a composer

the same way anyone who has ever scribbled on a piece of paper is an artist.

Like it or not "composer" has the connotations of a composer of classical music, one who works primarily with written scores.

Grimes is a producer and performer. She does technically compose music, but she is not a composer in the commonly accepted definition of the word.

Are you really going to ignore 90% of the definition and focus on the single word "creates"?

Yes. Mozart.

We do typically think of composers as people who write sheet music.

I don't care about the connotations. Grimes is a composer

that's just stupid

Is it? I think of composers as people who write sheet music.

no

>Grimes is a composer
if she can write a string quartet, symphony, piano concerto and choral piece for SATB choir using only pen and paper, then she can warrant the label composer.

If you knew any composers irl you'd know they are a very different beast to the average popular musician. They regularly attend composition workshops, have intimate knowledge of music theory, orchestration, form, music history, extended instrumental techniques and traditional music, among other subjects.

If you can't create a written score for a live performer, you are not a composer. Like it or not, that's the definition.

t. dum dum

>Like it or not, that's the definition.
that's not the definition, it's your subjective view on the "connotations" of the word
the actual definition was posted earlier by me. Grimes is a composer

>the actual definition was posted earlier by me
notice how that definition didn't include writing shit music in a DAW and drenching everything in delay to cover your lack of talent.

How many times do you need to get BTFO before you stop claiming your shitty pop artists are anywhere near the skill level of professional composers?

My "subjective view" is the same as anyone who knows composers irl and regularly attends composition workshops and deals with composers. At the very least you need to know music theory and be able to produce a piece of sheet music to be a composer. Its not subject to interpretation.

What're you talking about? Mozart was born in the late 1700's, there's no way I could live that long

Not as talanted, but these come close - Gubaidulina, Sciarrino, Finnissy, Chin, Lachenmann, Saariaho, Haas, Norgard, Ruders, Cerha, Murail, Ferneyhough, Ullmann, Robin, Kurtag
Stop replying to the clueless grimes autist

the definition has nothing to do with skill level (even though Grimes is a genius composer). Writing tunes on a DAW falls under "creating music". A song created on a DAW is a composition. Grimes is a composer

>My "subjective view" is the same as anyone who knows composers irl
So you're basing your argument on anecdotal evidence? Cute

Your "definition" is simply an elitist attemp to shun music you don't like

kamasi washington

how will grimesfags recover?

>popfag tries to comprehend the world of composers and classical music
>cannot

not an argument

>even though Grimes is a genius composer
jfc

Mozart never made anything as good as Impossible Soul

How many times are you going to make this thread?

this

a composer creates or writes music

/thread

she could if she wanted. here's a small piece with classical elements: clyp.it/ek4wjo1r

>notice how that definition didn't include writing shit music in a DAW and drenching everything in delay to cover your lack of talent.
now you're overstepping your boundaries, idiot. if you don't like her music, fine, but don't insult an artist 10000000000x more talented than you.

you're right.

>Your "definition" is simply an elitist attemp to shun music you don't like
that user: btfo to pieces!

Composer generally implies she has some kind of classical training.

this

Justin Bieber

This is the only possible answer.

Stefan Burnett

are any of Mozart's operas as lyrically deep as Kanye's or Grime's songs? I thought so

>Mozart's operas
They're pretty musically but kinda lack the emotional impact that a human voice could deliver. It's about emotions.

I know a man....

>My "subjective view" is the same as anyone who knows composers irl
user, I'm a composer who writes choral and orchestral music and who does all the things you erroneously think a person must do in order to be considered a composer. Grimes is also a composer - she's just the kind who also performs her own music, and consequently has no need to publish it in written form for someone else to read from.

>Grimes is also a composer - she's just the kind who also performs her own music, and consequently has no need to publish it in written form for someone else to read from.
This. There's no need of music sheets when she's actually the only performer. Plus, her music consists of tons of layered sounds that couldn't be described by mere music sheets.

Came here to mention Tosin. Someone already did it.

>Plus, her music consists of tons of layered sounds that couldn't be described by mere music sheets.
Oh, It can be done (and even has - notice how the conductor in this video is working from a score - youtube.com/watch?v=6Se0hqGl94U ) Just with significant effort on the transcriptionist's part because of the complexity. That sort of thing can be fun, though - I've actually been considering doing transcriptions/arrangements for some of her songs as an exercise for quite some time now. Imo the song Devon in particular is just BEGGING to be transcribed/arranged in score form for Voice and Piano (or Harpsichord, if you're lucky enough to have it.) You could easily insert it into a set of Vaughan WIlliams/Dowland/Quilter English Art Songs in a voice recital, and I doubt even the crustiest of classical music elitists would bat an eye - because it fits perfectly.

>Imo the song Devon in particular is just BEGGING to be transcribed/arranged in score form for Voice and Piano (or Harpsichord, if you're lucky enough to have it.) You could easily insert it into a set of Vaughan WIlliams/Dowland/Quilter English Art Songs in a voice recital, and I doubt even the crustiest of classical music elitists would bat an eye - because it fits perfectly.
That would be interesting. By the way, I hope she will make an EP or album with classical music once she will master more instruments. She's a big fan of classical anyway.

>By the way, I hope she will make an EP or album with classical music once she will master more instruments.
So do I, user. So do I.

Hey, I like Chick Corea too.

no

LOL

to answer your question OP, absolutely not

Grimes, though...