Going back to uni at age 30. Haven't been there since, well a long time when I did my bachelor of nursing. Over it now...

Going back to uni at age 30. Haven't been there since, well a long time when I did my bachelor of nursing. Over it now, starting a new career in journalism.

I've been looking at the unis Facebook and website and it's just covered in pictures of young, beautiful people laughing and basking in the sun. I'm scared man. I've seen too much to be like that. I've had an infected anal fistula squirt puss in my face, you don't feel the sun on your back after that. Am I going to be the old, jaded guy that everyone thinks is creepy?

What the fuck do I do.

Why give up on nursing? At least you can make a living.

It's shit. The social politics are off the hook, patients act like customers now, Dr's are absolute cunts, there's money in it but the amount of work and responsibilities you have to shoulder are just not worth it. I don't want to do it for the rest of my life. It's a glorified catering job with a higher chance to end up getting sued.

just keep yourself to yourself and study and work. realistically theyre not going to be interested in hanging out with you and you will seem very old to them. hell when i was 18 i though 25 year olds were ancient. you will literally be an old man to them. just do what youre supposed to and forge a new career path. sure it would ne nice to just have a second early 20's experience but it's not going to happen

Damn what kind of community you working in? Sounds rough.

Are you planning to live on university campus? Like where the freshers go for the first year, if you do then you are pretty much fucked and you'll feel awkward as fuck. Your best bet is to find a single apartment within walking distance of the uni, study and go home.

Source - My freshers house had a 50 year old black man from ghana and he lived next door to me.

I work in prison health, but I've done stints in general, aged and home care. It's all pretty much the same.

I'm 32 and started at 28.

>Over it now, starting a new career in journalism.
Don't. Journalism is well and truly in the shitter. They literally teach you how to blog and then send you on your way.

>What the fuck do I do.
Ignore it and study to yourself, good luck in group projects. Seriously I just finished a 4 year degree and the youth of today are DUMB AS FUCK. Literally dumb, like no smarts, no logical thinking, no lateral thought. They are just thick, hashtag nerdbots. I genuinely fear for the future of the world in the next couple of centuries.

Take it from somebody who has just finished their degree. Pick something, head down arse up and go at it hard for as long as you can and ignore everything else. Higher education is an absolute cesspit.

just remember that you are there to study, not to make friends. i went back to uni "mature age" (turning 23), and the difference is huge - every 18 year old fresh out of year 12 was more worried about where they were gonna drink that weekend, because they haven't spent years at a job doing the same thing day in day out, who cares if they fail a subject or two and spend another 6 months at uni?

if you just don't want to be a fuckhead, don't speak up, no one gives a shit. yeah, you have more life experience being 30 than these kids do at 18, but guess what? not every question is directed at you. on the same token, limit yourself to one or two questions per tutorial/practical, and 0 per lecture. if you have questions, stay behind and ask them.

if you're not a fuckhead the 18 year olds will just leave you alone, just be friendly when the opportunity arises. otherwise, you're most likely not going to make too many friends with such a big age gap, so don't stress about it too much.

Well first off don't call it "uni"

>30
>old

Nigga you retarded.

Damn you hard. Time to write a memoir.

Same guy here again, pick something that you can be reclusive if you are genuinely worried. History or arts or somehting you can just get your foot in the door. It is a big culture shock if you've never experienced higher education at all.

>journalism
kill yourself, no joke

No, I'll be living off campus. There's no way I could do a dorm now. I start thinking about bed around 8pm these days eh.

its little different but im an 18 year old who started university last year and i look about 14... Pretty much had to concentrate on academics because nothing social was going to happen. Might be similar for you unless you find a way to join a group

Got a guy in my course who's 35 or even 40 (i didn't ask) and everyone respects him. You will find out that whatever you do you will end up at the top 10% of the class (given that you're dedicated). Just be professional and you're set... IF the people you work with are professional aswell, but since journalism isn't anything close to MINT this might attract some faggots...

>Am I going to be the old, jaded guy that everyone thinks is creepy?

Yeah you will be.

Source: I'm the old creepy 32 year old uni student

and for god sake dont start regaling them with stories from your youth either!

^me
Than don't act creepy and be convincing by the quality of your work.

OP here. Is journalism really that bad of a choice? Why? Because I've already been accepted but it's not too late to withdraw and apply for something else.

I'm out of touch man. What's good these days?

M. = Math
I. = Informatics
N. = Nature sciences
T. = Technology

I'm at University now, started at 43 (career change). Just do the work and you'll be fine. Don't worry about the age difference :-)

also
>Is journalism really that bad of a choice? Why?
Because it takes little skill therefore TONS of people do it which pushes down the average wage.
If it really is what you want to do - than do it! A motivated person in a not so well paying job is better off than an unmotivated person in a well paying job. This argument ONLY works if you really wanna do it.

Well thanks for the responses. Looks like I've got some choices to make.

>s journalism really that bad of a choice
Seriously, journalism is fucked. Go to an blog site and then go to the next blog site, then the next blog site. Then find a news site and it is a collection of former bloggers working on a collaborative site. The former blogger owns the site. It's just a fucking soup of shite journalism spawned out of ease of publishing.

If you're thinking about journalism have a look at some applied sciences and history degrees. Far more interesting and if you're an information sponge like me you can use journalism as an outlet hobby and write. Similarly like me who is writing a couple of novels on the side.

Just be passionate. Pick your game, excel at your game and get in and out. But again, youth of today.. Dumb as fuck.

Totally depends on the college. I've had literal senior citizens in my classes. I remember this one dude who was in his 70's at least and blind. I'd walk with him to the bathroom during breaks and we got to know each other. If you're a likable person and your classmates aren't dicks, your age doesn't matter.

Oh I dunno, maybe because every single newspaper in existence is transitioning to either full on web-articles only or a mix of webarticles+real print+tablet services. As a result, a good 90% of all articles are pure and literal clickbait garbage with no substance.

If you want to work at a news company, the future jobs are probably going to be purely as web developer to make their site have a cookie accept splash page and optimizing the paywall features so fuckers can't exploit and bypass. Or as a coder that writes algorithms that construct and mimic human sentences. The writing will not be done by humans anymore. They will retain only 10% of people that write articles and will not be accepting new positions. This is already possible, just not as widespread.

If instead you want to get into journalism because of the creative writing aspect, I'd recommend getting a blog of some sort and trying to get patreon supporters, or publishing a book. It sounds weird, but in the age of kindles and smartphones, boomers still go out and buy books because they are convenient shitty gifts for birthdays and they like to read them on holiday or other occasions where they don't have access to tv.

Journalism is mostly dead at the moment, many "Journalists" just "write" clickbait articles and stupid lists.

AHAHAHAHAHAH NIGGA YOU'RE 30 AND ON Sup Forums HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

>Am I going to be the old, jaded guy that everyone thinks is creepy?

Yes. That's the role of the mature student.

It's not bad but it's extremely competitive and almost inevitably involves an internship (or close to it) these days which will be difficult at your age (and even if it's not, employers will assume it's going to be).

Is there no hope for some kind of comeback?