youtube.com/watch?v=XSRqdmXBSAQ
clyp.it/sr0vwhmh
clyp.it/d1cwbeku
clyp.it/cudxyr1h
youtube.com/watch?v=rK1Ka_SXTfs
youtube.com/watch?v=NDrDcbN_1A0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Go gibson or go home

This philosophy has never steered me wrong.

Help I can't play anything but the main riff off Baba O'Reily!!

It's driving my guitarist and drummer crazy.

theory: sometime in the future, strats will be cool again because no one's playing them because everyone used to play them

yo, does anyone else here sometimes feel like the guitar can be inadequate in conveying emotion?
I've been getting into jazz the last few weeks and played along/traded some licks and it just didn't feel right in contrast to what the greats are able to play on their saxophones and whatnot

the guitar has always been a pleb instrument desu.

Play more on your dynamics, staccato, rests and different force of playing can add more expression in your playing.
Also when improvising I like to slip in some intervals or let some notes bleed into each other willingly. It helps create tension in a way.

Why did have to die such a stupid death

make it a joke band that plays nothing but baba o'reiley, but with variations, parody songs, songs about current events, genre versions etc.

live metal, die metal

>live metal, die plane

i like it

it's a harmonic accompaniment tool like the piano at heart. amplification turned it into a quasi lead instrument but it lacks the control over each note that you get with violins and woodwinds. i'm a pretty shit player but even i started bucking against these limitations after a time.

the trick is to get your levels right where you can be soft or hard, and your vibrato can carry a lot of feeling with it. it's a magical spot for me, i got all the settings for it on a notepad document on an external hard drive just in case i forget

Use wah, an envelope filter, an autowah, or some other effect, as well as volume swells, bends, and slides to get a more vocal tone. Practice scat singing solo lines and learning to play them on the guitar so your playing is more informed from a vocal direction. Put in plenty of rests. Great horn players have to pause to take a breath before they continue playing. The nature of the guitar means you can just keep playing regardless, so you'll have to make yourself take rests. Transcribe saxophone lines.

Listen to some jazz guitarists instead of saxophonists. Don't rely solely on the pentatonic and harmonic minor as you probably do if you come from blues or rock. Learn chords, songs, then licks before improvising.
youtube.com/watch?v=xDka59Kfx0o
youtube.com/watch?v=s-14Zb1csDI
youtube.com/watch?v=2b3BAm00moU
and of course
youtube.com/watch?v=tgNQ4FR6Me8

>violins
somewhat, but woodwinds are a better example.

then again, the guitar has the most versatile sound i can think of in any style of music. it can sound so vastly different, sometimes people don't even know it's a guitar playing. it's polyphonic, like piano, but we can also use vibrato and have more of a percussive sound than pianos

as much shit as guitar gets, it's the most popular instrument for a reason. it would be great to be able to change notes like a saxophone, but how versatile is the sound really, outside of jazz? i dislike in almost every single other context

>70322299
did you just accept the fact or did you learn a new instrument?
I think my family still has a saxophone lying around but I'm not sure if I even want another instrument

>my only guitar is a full black ESP explorer
>looking for a new one and was set on getting an S type so i can be normal, either fender or ibanez
>now i'm looking at a full black ESP flying V

If you don't stop this right now you're going to look like this in the future

preach bruh

i know..

good points, thanks

this is probably my biggest goal, getting my solos as close as possible to sounding like human voice

>it can sound so vastly different, sometimes people don't even know it's a guitar playing.

then you get away from playing an instrument and go toward a computerized sample-trigger. i try to stick with the core tone, and a guitar is a great sound, but it's just one sound among many.

the big limitation to me is as soon as you strike a note it starts dying. that's what makes it percussive, but also one dimensional in a way. sometimes you want to build a note up from silence instead of starting at peak volume.

>are there any tube amps good for metal?
There are tons. Some classics are the 6505, Dual Rectifier, JCM2000. That's not even scratching the surface, just do some searching

vocaroo.com/i/s0HNIclR2Hyf

has this been done before?

2br00tal4me

Best acoustic that you can get used for under $350? My buddy's wants to go to GC and end up with some shitplank and I'm trying to convince him otherwise. So far in mind I've got Breedlove, Takamine and Seagull, is there anymore we should look at? We're going to GC to try them out

lol

We can go brootaler

it always ends the same way though ;__;

What saddles are better for a tele? I have these right now.

>tube amps
>Pedals
>GIBSON GUITARS
>Fender guitars
>Bass guitars with more than 4 strings
>Erg's
>Stone and/or wood picks
>Expensive cables
>Jazz guitar
>Blues guitar
>Anything "handwired"
>Pointy guitars

O I am laffin

It depends, do you want accurate intonation or do you care about being hip and vintage ?

Thinking of getting these.

I can picture this guy playing nothing but power chords and chugging opens

youtube.com/watch?v=xU0BmcPmlCc

>he doesnt know

>i dont like this so its objectively bad xddd

youtu.be/P9LXJUMGfBg

>this is probably my biggest goal, getting my solos as close as possible to sounding like human voice
Listen to some Derek Trucks then
youtube.com/watch?v=XDK9YCplcCY

>the big limitation to me is as soon as you strike a note it starts dying. that's what makes it percussive, but also one dimensional in a way. sometimes you want to build a note up from silence instead of starting at peak volume.
volume knob + sustainiac or ebow

three out of four of my guitars and basses are black. Only the first of those was an intentional colour choice. Number three and number four, both basses, were good deals and the only colour available. Kinda makes me look like an edgy metal guy although none of them are pointy. I don't even play metal.

it sickens me that people like this exist desu

Is that the dude who sings the smash mouth song over every other shitty song?

you could try an ebow, you could use volume swells (sounds incredibly violin-like), you could use a compressor, a slide, etc.

i agree with you, but there are just so many ways around the problems you're saying, and it seems like they only apply when you're playing through a guitar straight into an amp with no distortion or effects

holdsworth said exactly the same thing, that he didn't really like the guitar that much because he couldn't change the texture of the notes after he played them like a saxophonist could, but i think he's one of the most unique and expressive guitarists out there

How can you hate smug anime girls?

>outdated sounding
>all genres creatively exhausted
>limited musical range
>takes years to master
>and even when you do there's always an 8yo Asian that's better and more accomplished than you'll ever be
>if you're technical the audience will say you're just showing off
>if you're restrained the audience will say you can't play
>an electric guitar isn't a complete instrument until you pair it with an amplifier
>so it's expensive
>playing can give rise to health problems like arthritis and carpel tunnel
>all the good pussy goes to rap niggers

remind me why you play guitar again /gg/

soon

kekty kek kek no one gives a fuck what you think about anything

Definitely intonation. I just hating restringing since I have to put them through the bridge since it's not a through body.

Plus thought the vintage saddles gave the strings more bounce.

Metal Gear?

What is intonation? Serious question. Isn't it fine as long as shit's in tune?

(noob)

>kekty kek kek
what did he mean by this?

welcome to Sup Forums reddit, enjoy your (hopefully) short stay in /gg/

rate

Tune your guitar, and then check if it's on pitch when you play the 12th fret. If it isn't your intonation is bad.

Washburn CD36s

Not sure they make them anymore so you probably won't find it at GC. Could maybe find one online. But it's a really nice acoustic I got mine for $200.

When the intonation is off, it means the open string is in tune but higher up on the frets your notes will be flat or sharp. This is adjusted by moving the saddle back and forth which changes the length of the strings

Friendly reminder: the kiddies who post in /gg/ threads have nearly ***zero*** experience concerning guitar. Playing, repair, new player recommendations, etc. The average age in these threads is around early 20s: green as shit grass.

If you have an actual question this is probably one of the most uninformed & least knowledgeable places you could ever expect a proper answer to come from.

Be weary of any advice given here as it's amateur & perfunctory at best.

Have a nice day.

@1:54
youtube.com/watch?v=XSRqdmXBSAQ

oh hey look it's roman again

Hi friends. I have a question about guitar care.

I'd like to get back into playing guitar; however, I haven't touched my guitar in about 5 years. Additionally, instead of storing it in its nice hardshell case, I left it out on a stand in my room for a majority of this time like a fucking idiot.

Did I cause any irreparable damage to it by leaving it out? What should I do to get it back into playable condition--do I just need to replace the strings?

>guitar
>expensive
Lmao you don't know anything about instruments do you.

Sorry, forgot to add; it's an electric guitar. Fender-made.

>Be weary
It's WARY. Why does everyone seem to screw this up? You fucking retard.

reminder that degenerate weebs need not post here, and that there's an entire board for them to post cartoon drawings

>>>>>>>>>

cry hard bitch nerd lmao

You'll probably have to adjust the neck. Definitely get some new strings.

What kind of guitar is it?

I really want one

We are already in the dying stages of the offset fad so it has to go to something. Strats are probably a safe bet.

anime is allowed on all boards

What do ya'll think?
clyp.it/sr0vwhmh

Thanks. Tried with the tuner that came with the starter Strat copy I'm using and it seems spot on, is that just luck or do guitars usually have okay intonation out of the box?

What model? Tele, Strat, etc?

MODS = GODS

depends really. youd think they would all come at least somewhat close but ive had some where all the saddles were either pushed up or down all the way.

>not tech death
0/10

But really, good stuff. Simple but effective, definitely marketable. You could probably make money with that music

Thanks; I'll look into how to adjust the neck, and I'll definitely replace the strings.

It's a Fender Stratocaster; American made.

A majority of guitars are set up at the factory, but depending on the cost of the guitar the time given may be a couple of minutes to a couple of hours. One of the things that makes cheap guitars feel shitty is a shitty set up. One of the things that make expensive guitars feel nice is a nice set up from the factory. Its also not uncommon for cheap guitars to have bad playability off the shelf if there's a high end version a rack above it. Helps people decide to spend more money.

Tl;dr good factory set up isnt unheard of

How/Where do you guys sell gear you don't want anymore? I'm thinking of getting rid of one or two of my guitars but I'm not sure of the best avenue to do that. I wasn't sure if GC, Craigslist, or a local shop would be my best bet.

Can you post some pictures? The trem might need some adjustment along with adjusting the neck, especially since you're going to put some new strings on. If it's a vintage style 6-point trem you probably won't run into much trouble with it but a modern style 2-point trem might need some adjustment.

gc is going to give you pennies, try cl first.

Thanks! That's the plan though, I'll sell out in a heartbeat.

I like it! Sounds radio-friendly, too. Do you have more?

Ive never sold on it but try reverb

GC surprisingly can be pretty good if you just want some quick easy cash. Generally speaking they'll offer you 60% of whatever the guitar is worth, and if you buy something brand new you get a 10% discount when trading something in.

Craigslist works pretty well but you have to fish through the scammers. Reverb and Ebay aren't that bad either and you can set it up for local pickup only if you don't want to ship.

whats the point of these?

yup! I've spammed our shit in these threads before lol.

clyp.it/d1cwbeku
clyp.it/cudxyr1h

Thanks anons, I may try Reverb and then if that doesn't work try CL or GC

It's vintage so that means it's better.

Idk about the saddles but vintage tuners are so much easier use than regular tuners.

youtube.com/watch?v=rK1Ka_SXTfs

Here you go.

Thanks for all the help and offering to even take a look at pictures, by the way. I don't usually drop by here much but you guys are awfully nice compared to some of the other boards.

>tone "breathing"

i bet this basement dwelling anime poster believes in tonewoods too

Fuck, that sounds good.
The second song kinda reminds me of this one youtube.com/watch?v=NDrDcbN_1A0
Do you have a bandcamp or anything I can follow?

since /jazz/ seems to be only hacks

how do I play this?

Wow so artistic and not at all autistic

any classicalfags here?

I've been a plinker for a long time but I'm looking to start taking guitar seriously and get to a new level. I plateaud on metalcore for like years and want to get into finger style especially more classical oriented stuff. any recommendations for how to start? I'm assuming the old "hear cool 5 second riff, google guitar tab" will not be as effective with actual music.