/swg/ + /fmg/ = Film Production General

Hey, filmmakers and screenwriters. What are you working on? Have anything to show? Do you plan on making a career out of your work, or is it just a hobby? Let's talk.
RESOURCES:
Terry Rossio's Essays on Screenwriting:
>wordplayer.com/columns/welcome.html
FilmCourage YouTube:
>youtube.com/user/filmcourage
History of Hollywood free online course:
>edx.org/course/hollywood-history-industry-art-pennx-hollywoodx

SCRIPTS:
>screencraft.org/2014/01/28/download-70-screenplays-legally-free/
>sites.google.com/site/tvwriting/us-drama/show-collections
>simplyscripts.com/tv.html

CONTESTS:
>screencraft.org/screenwriting-contests/
>finishlinescriptcomp.com/
>filmfreeway.com/festivals
>tblaunchpad.com/

JOBS/OPPURTUNITIES:
>entertainmentcareers.net/jcat.asp?jcat=126
>networkisa.org/writing-gigs.php

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0By1TNDXmdstGVTV2T25tRktIVEk/view?usp=sharing
fountain.io/
youtube.com/watch?v=P503l1lKrqA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

I'm reading scripts trying to get better at writing them. I want to enter some contests and (if I win any of them) possibly team up with some indie producers by the end of next year.

80's Script guy here

I've been going through a rough couple of days lately, and during that time I decided to try opening up a new project to get my mind off things. Just wrote a page, no clue where I want it to go, but it helped me feel a little better.

Sounds like Michael is going to have at least a few more rough days than you are.

writing a psychological horror under the guise of a rom-com and then directing it there-after

That's one way of putting it, yeah.

Originally I was thinking about writing a crime movie in the guise of a painfully generic indie comedy, but I feel like I couldn't pull that off with this opening.

I don't know if it's just my depression getting worse, but I'm no longer interested in any of the ideas I've been pursuing.

pursue them.

>drive.google.com/file/d/0By1TNDXmdstGVTV2T25tRktIVEk/view?usp=sharing

First 3-ish pages of a low-budget horror flick. Also, first time I've ever attempted writing a script, but I'm finding it's a lot of fun.

I remember you, good stuff.

I could see you tweaking the tone a bit and getting a pretty unique crime/indie comedy. Like an accidental kidnapping story, or something. I would watch it.

Just finished a feature screenplay! Well, "finished", I still need to edit the whole motherfucker, but I'm glad I wrote the first draft of the final page of this one. It feels good.

Biggest issue now is getting a camera to shoot some short stuff I had in mind. I really have my eye on a GH4, but I'm questioning putting a thousand and a half on just a body, one lens, and nothing else. However, I've used it before, and I love it, so I'm leaning towards just working some more freelance gigs and getting some part-time, non-related job to save up the cash.

Hey, thanks.

One of the reasons I love these threads is seeing people's work develop. It's a shame they don't tend to last very long.

taking shit step by step making that proper logline.
bigger bitch than I realized.
Not just the 1+2. but the 1+2=3 one, the real one.

Yeah, that'd be cool.

Part of why I want to write this is just my extreme disdain for the idea that indie movies have to be Napoleon Dynamite-style quirkfests, and going in using the idea to fuck with people's expectations would be fun.

The other reason is I've been listening to This Year by the Mountain Goats almost on a loop for the past day. Inspired something in me, along with Andrew Jackson Jihad's People album.

What're your guys' best loglines?
i remember you from last thread

Hey hey what up

good on you with your thing

i hate twee shit too

you gonna direct your script after you finish it?

I think you should pursue it, it could be great. Also, A+ indie writing music.

In the process of making the finishing touches on a tv pilot. I joined this free online course specializing in tv pilot writing and the feedback I've gotten has improved my work so much.

In addition to that I'm outlining an indie, coming of age type movie. The only one I can realistically shoot of all the ideas I have.

Pic related is a little excerpt from the pilot. How's my formatting?

I'll probably direct, yeah. The 80's script is what I'm focusing on now though. Still gotta find an actor for one of the main characters...

I might.

Also, ayyy what up.

What's the course?

And I remember a previous version of this, your formatting has improved a lot. Nice work!

good shit senpai

good luck

So who has dropped screenwriting software in favor of this open, human-readable markup?

fountain.io/

>this year by the mountain goats
fuck yes user
Finally another fan of TMG, they're so fucking great. Listen to any of their unreleased stuff? it's top

It's on coursera.org and is called "Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course)"

I don't wanna sound like a shill but I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to create and write for their own tv show.

I did a lot of stuff on coursera a few years back with comp sci, it's pretty cool they're hosting screenwriting stuff now. I'll check it out.

Recently finished writing the pilot for a web-series with my friend. It was supposed to be Flight of the Conchords but with two film students, but the style of it changed a bit.

Trying to find the rest of the cast, but we're looking to start soon.

I've just really been listening to a couple songs, finally caved because a friend of mine fucking loved them and I was in a bad way so I thought why not

I wish they had something similar for movie scripts. It would really help me be able to turn my stuff from loglines to drafts.

He's such a great storyteller, I actually started outlined and writing a beat sheet loosely based on Transcendental Youth, but I think his work is best done in three minute increments with his own voice.

That and his novel, which is actually pretty fucking neat. It's one of those works where I'd rather not see an adaptation, since the written format works so well for the story.

Good work, user. And I'd go with the camera you've used and love, especially to start out. If you're just planning on submitting to festivals and building up a portfolio, it should be more than good enough.

I might listen to more of them now, I've got literally nothing but free time and I'm looking to ease the guilt of quitting a job that my dad gave me after two days.

I'm a fucking asshole. I just didn't want a job there.

I don't have any loglines I've really polished up, but here's a two drafts I found in my docs:

>Three D-list actors find themselves being kidnapped and hunted down by a deranged fan of the straight-to-DVD horror film they all starred in, who believes that the killers work must be finished.

>A young couple meet and fall in love moments before their untimely deaths and find they are destined for opposite ends of the afterlife. The pair must fight angels and demons, ghosts, spirits, and even the Gods themselves to stay together.

>>Three D-list actors find themselves being kidnapped and hunted down by a deranged fan of the straight-to-DVD horror film they all starred in, who believes that the killers work must be finished.

but is that a proper logline tho? that's more like a pitch hook

The second one isn't proper, actually. I didn't write them as deliberate loglines, they're just notes in my notes, haha.

I'm 13 pages into a short film. I quite like it and I'd share it, but I'm actually writing it for someone else.

Good shit

they sound pretty good user
I'm looking forward to them.
particularly the first- fuck it's catchy

Writing a feature at the moment about a author with writer's block trying to reclaim his former acclaim by writing a book of interviews on suicide and why people do it. Inspired to find the reason why people kill themselves through the unexplained suicide of his best friend in college many years ago.

His grip on reality becomes fractured, when his life, work, and mind becomes upended by a visiting author to his college he teaches at.

Thanks, dudes.

I'll be sure to post my progress around here when I start the process of actually writing them.

Your dialogue's weird. Stilted, I guess.

writing the first draft at the moment.

the actors one is great
afterlife one = nah

Idk if I should buy the rokinon cine 16mm lens for my T5i. give me opinions

watch "mistress" with robert wuhl and robert de niro

pretty much the same story. might help

I think it seems stilted because there's no action to break it up. Dialogue doesn't usually run so long uninterrupted. It's not necessarily bad.

nigga i'm trying to get the sigma 8-16mm

i want that look that chris doyle made for "fallen angels"

I'm set to work on a crew for a feature length indie starting next week and I'm super excited about it.

Also there's a reason we usually separate the /swg/ and /fmg/.

meant that post for you.

the inciting incident that visiting author?

i'm guessing that he reminds the dude of his dead best friend?

inside llewyn davis is also kind of similar

Thanks for the honest opinion. I'm actually trying to play genre bingo with myself, the afterlife one is supposed to be a rom-com type thing. I think chicks would dig it. I'll work on the logline tho.

very cool. how did you get involved with that?

very nice

become friends with as many people as possible

We shhould just pull the trigger and buy the lenses.

Also, what's fallen angels?

OP here, I chose to combine them because both have been inactive lately.

i like the actor's one too.

It's like real life, when some uknown starred in some shitty movie early in life and it just comes back to haunt them, years later

youtube.com/watch?v=P503l1lKrqA

apparently this movie was shot on a 6.5mm lens

>EXT. FIELD. DAWN

Scrap "The sun's just beginning to set on the horizon." It's just superfluous.

This is later in the story when he's visitng an old classmate that was friends with his best friend who killed himself and himself.

He's been trying to talk with him so he can get some more information about their friend, when he finally does there's this almost beating around the bush in their conversation.

Max doesn't like David.

The inciting incident being on the way home from dinner with the visiting author, he and his wife pass a police crime scene, a suicide, which prompts him to write about suicide as a subject.

ah he's your obi wan.

who's david?

That's fair, I've just always used Day/Night because of reasons.

The protagonist of the story.

no worries, the actors one is something i'd pay to go see

Too much expositional information, long and unnatural speech patterns, unnatural conversational flow. Makes it all feel wooden. Either we already know a lot of the information the characters are talking about due to the images you've shown us, or you're overloading and subsequently boring the audience.

I hate getting new ideas while I'm working on other projects.

A friend from high school knew a guy that was shooting and she got me in contact with him. It was really weird. Just kinda fell into my lap

iktf

also

I have a DSLR but it's shit in darker areas and when the ISO is higher on videomode there are dead/heat pixels.

What are good amateur video cameras that won't break the bank?

Just keep them all written down somewhere. I've got more than 30 different story ideas and I fight the urge to flip-flop around constantly.

just rent cinema cameras senpai

...not to say that I'm still in high school. I'm out of college.

Just wanted to clarify.

T3i Rebel have always been good starting cameras. Or a Canon 30D I think that's what they're called. I use it all the time at the place I feelance at and it has great picture. And also I don't know how to use their real cameras yet.

bump

Anyone here film guerilla?

Set stories

has anyone gotten kicked off of locations? Workarounds? Ways to hustle on location?

you should read up on how the '28 days later guys did it' it's not guerilla per se, but their rigs were. hand-held digital cameras. ect

Right.

I usually film guerilla and somehow barely get away with it.

Fake blood on walls without permission with a bloodied up actor playing dead shouldn't be let off so easily but for some reason I've been lucky.

I usually find that when you approach rent-a-cops first IN THE MIDDLE OF SHOOTING, they will let you shoot on-location for a limited amount of time.

What's the general opinion on a Sony A7RII? Might purchase one soon to shoot some short films

i've been doing some grip work recently with the promise of camera work in the future.

things are going alright. it's definitely been fun still trying to make a living off it, though.

Great camera but make sure you get either more batteries or some kind of external power.

It fucking drains bro.

Fantastic low light shooter, full frame, some good native lenses for it, adapters for the rest. It's a great camera for shooting if you're okay with it getting a bit hot and it eating through batteries.

Get a battery grip, fixed my problem with the a7s.

No but I've got a short I want to shoot which I'm gonna have to go guerilla on. Takes place mostly in a car, thinking about renting or building a rig. Will the cops give a shit if we're driving around in a decked-out vehicle? Only plan on shooting at night in relatively desolate areas. Driving takes should be quick.

Cops wouldnt care too much I think

whats the best sort of beginner camera to buy to shoot film? im not talking about anything to make a movie with, but i want to try and work on using lighting, shadow, camera movement etc

It pains me to hear that you're depressed as you are probably a great guy. Please get out of this rut

literally any camera that's not your phone as you can't control exposure well on your phone (unless you buy some app or something)

i recommend a canon t3i

>(unless you buy some app or something)
For iPhones, FiLMiC works wonders.

I've seen shorts at festivals filmed on tablets, so I guess anything really does go

Is it going to be hosted on YouTube, Vimeo, or..? Good job finishing it, anyway. And good luck making it.

stuck waiting up all night for the editor to finish a cut for network, i mean i'm sending it from home which is nice but jesus christ i just want to sleep

I feel that doggo so hard honestly

bimp

I hope you got to go to bed by now, user.

nope! still waiting, then there's the ~70 minute export time once it's actually handed off

>tfw slowly but surely over the last year i've been learning after effects, cinema4d and making instrumental film score shit in ableton
ah yeah, it's coming soon boyz. the true kino. now if only i could get a grip on cinematography so my shit doesn't look like home movies.

we should work together friendo

>i've been learning after effects

learning how to make some fancy lower thirds...figured that'd be the most practical thing to start with when you work in reality