Trent Reznor on social media

>"The Internet is giving voice to everybody thinking that someone gives a shit what they have to say and they have the right. I think, in general, that has created a toxic environment for artists and led to some very safe music. Artists are trying to make music to please the tastemakers that tell the sheep what to like. It’s a vicious cycle and I think it’s unhealthy. I don’t see any Princes emerging on the scene today. I see a lot of people making formulaic, made to please, vegan restaurant patron-type shit. And I think it creates an environment where people are too fuckin’ worried about what other people have to say. And people who have never made anything think it’s OK to talk shit about stuff they have no right to talk about. You got a Facebook account? Nobody gives a fuck. You haven’t achieved anything.”

Is he right, Sup Forums?

spin.com/2017/01/trent-reznor-like-everyone-hates-social-media-thinks-it-makes-new-music-bad/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6zEAMkp8TuU
youtube.com/watch?v=GRz4FY0ZcwI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

btfo

do you have something interesting to contribute here?

yeah that joke is old now

>LE GRUMPY MAN STATEMEN STRAWMAN XDDDD

he's right tho

this honestly

Trents just a salty old man

spot on

Does Trent?

More like nine inch gut

fpbp

Yes. Your point?

Hit the nail on the head

>Is he right, Sup Forums?
Partially. The problems created by everyone having a voice will be fixed by virtue of everyone having a voice, at some point.

Enforcement of political correctness will have to die for that to happen.

how is political correctness in any way relevant

On top of my head, how about yours?

It creates informal censorship when people are afraid of the consequences of disagreeing with dominant political views.

Angry old musician says the same shit every angry old musician has been saying since the decade started

Nothing to see here

that's not what political correctness is, user

Lifes' hard when your 5'2. Like this cunt ever did anything that out there anyways

Fact: You can trace the moment your life started falling apart back to when you got your high speed internet connect.

honestly... kinda agree and disagree. lotta shitty, safe music yeah, but also some fuckin insane music in the past years. only problem is the safe music gets pushed to the top, nothing new, just worse nowadays.

this
>voicing an opinion about how everyone has to have an opinion """"these days"""
at least make a song about it you hypocritical fuck

he's not wrong
social media is cancer

i loved when he was whining about the music industry/praising hollywood (like it all isn't the same BS) then slowly came crawling back to the former

what a lil bitch

your a dorable

how so? Personally as a person who is trying to make music making a career I have definitely fallen into the trap of using hip hop elements and memes to try to get views, so he is right on that.

Filthy Frank is that you?

he's right tho

I think he's onto something but didn't express his point as well as he could've

Social media is a double edged sword for new bands. On one hand, you can gain a small (but strong) following through internet exposure very early in your career these days. The internet allows you to share music with hundreds or even thousands of people without ever playing a live show.

But the downside is that this attention is often too much too soon. Bands get judged, critiqued, and forgotten before they really have a chance to fully develop their style. For instance an aspiring garage rock band today would be tempted to release an EP online (bandcamp or whatever) very early on in their "career", well before their sound is fully formed. Understandably, people will dismiss it as amateurish trash and move on to something else, forgetting the band ever existed. What's really unfortunate is that it's entirely possible that that band would have slowly progressed and developed a really interesting sound. But they had too much exposure too soon so they crash and burn.

So I think in that sense the ease of communication in the social media era can really hurt the evolution of new artists, and like Reznor says it can lead people to produce unambitious music, out of a fear of being harshly rejected..

Not true actually. I traced mine back to when I discovered the /tg/ wiki by pure accident.

nice to see he's still an angry fucker. now if only he could channel that into another album.

pitchfork skrillex

It's the artist's fault for being so self-conscious and shitty, just like Trent

My life fell apart the moment I found Sup Forums.

It was always shit to be honest

The EP happened

FEELS LIKE I'VE BEEN HERE BEFOOOOOREEEEEE
YEAH I RECOGNIZE
YEAH I'VE BEEN HERE BEFOREEEE
DON'T GIVE A FUCK ANYMOORE
YEAH
I DON'T CAREEEEEEEEE

Let's see. Before internet I was a fat kid with alcoholic dad and ubstable mother. With troubled speech and no friends. Autism was really bad.

Now I'm depressed suicidal guy who lost a lot of weight with stabler happier family. GF. Some good friends. Good native language abilities and passable English.

Hard to say man.

I know what its like to spend weeks on a song and to have some dickhead sit back and say 'it should go up there'

People have no idea how difficult it is to make anything good

I'm not sure who he's talking about. Slayer would not get good reviews from the net tastemakers with their lyrics nowadays.

Who is a band or act that is stymied by what's hot and in fashion, an act that would make colourful, against-the-grain music if it weren't for the internet potentially shooting them down?

If he's talking within the pop world then yeah, its music for children and teens. Too much pirating for 'artists' to do anything wild while pursuing fame and riches.

he is right.
when was the last time you had this "wow i have never heard something like this before and its good" feeling.

yeah

Blackstar? That is such a specific reason though.

Trent right now is at place where he can do whatever the fuck he wants. His EP was a nice beginning for something great. It was fucking awesome

>when was the last time you had this "wow i have never heard something like this before and its good" feeling.
pc music, but i will admit that was a few years ago.

I dont care what this faggot thinks

He hasnt put out a good album in years.

He has no idea what he's talking about. You can literally create and release whatever the fuck you want on the internet without any restrictions except for your own capability. There's probably more experimental music than there ever was in past decades, honestly.

Year Zero, The Slip, Hesitation Marks and Not The Actual Events were fuckibg awesome though

I want to fucking know Trent Reznor like a person to person basis because this is exactly how I feel about this but I feel like I'm being stupid for that reason

Holy fuck this guy is based, "sheep" is a bit much to actually say but it's true

All liberals are elitist fascist cunts at heart.

Fascists pretending their anti-facist,

Fuck them all.

>youtube.com/watch?v=6zEAMkp8TuU

Different user but I feel like what they're describing is an effect of it

How is this relevant to the thread?

OH SHIT

YOU GOT BUSTED MY MAN

>muh ageist meme invalidates his point
No, it just shows you cannot articulate your feelings because you know they won't add up to a concrete point.

>ageist
we /tumblr/ now

I hate to use the word but why did the user have to bring his age into it? Trent is hardly the guy you would consider out of touch or too old to understand social media and technology.

there's loads of cross over between the sjw movement and happy formulaic pop shit

in regards to Prince being mentioned, idk but I would think that there are at least one or two groups/artists that could be considered a "Prince." maybe not as popular obviously, since popular music is the formulaic feel-good music he's talking about

for those ppl reading this who are producers, put more passion into your music

This. Holy kek. I bet he can't even into KKB.

Just today, when I finished recording my new song

kkb is literally more relevant than trent in the year of our lord 2017

there's plenty of recent music that makes you go oh shit I've never heard this before. just one off the top of my head. death grips. some recent rap/hip-hop albums. james blakes first album.

>musician releases something to the public
>people have no right to discriminate it
>they may only critique something if they've done better

Ok I get it. If you ain't got anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. Negative behaviour shouldn't be tolerated. HOWEVER, how long has this cunt been using the internet and why is this coming off as a surprise to him?

Is 7 years ago 'new?'

yeah also this. I can't criticize something if I haven't done it before? the room is a shit movie. I have never made a movie, but I am pretty sure I am well within my right to call that a shit movie and tell you why it's shit. I don't know why the fuck he thinks it's okay to silence opinions, well thought out or not.

first of all I said recent. so I don't know why you put quote marks around "new," you numbskull. secondly, yeah I'm pretty sure people were spouting horseshit opinions and well-informed opinions on the internet 7 years ago too.

Hey fuck you, recent isn't years ago

youtube.com/watch?v=GRz4FY0ZcwI

??????????????

What did he mean by this?

Considering he met his wife through Twitter, I think he doesn't hate it, he just hates dealing with the average user and their bloated sense of worth.

How fucking laid do you think Rezzers got just off of 'Closer' alone?

He was busy fucking Courtney love before Kurt's corpse got cold.

Trent is a moron who never achieved anything. And the one thing he had, he lost, because he refused to share it... Irony with the big I.

>“Lots of people can have girlfriends. But I can throw around guitars onstage. That’ll be my epitaph: ‘He never had a girlfriend, but you should’ve seen him smash a Les Paul.’”

>never achieved anything
now that's just not true

to the aspies itt questioning trent's age or internet savviness: he's been outspoken on social media, technology and even shit like private trackers since day 1. he's more in tune with technology than the average 18 year old normie

>Good native language abilities and passable English.

>mestizo qt will never force you to cum inside her
kill me

straight from /an/

He's 100% right and buttmad posters like are poptimist tweed hipster fucks

Is that you, Brent?

>I don't see any Princes emerging on the scene today

Kanye West

lol @ irate nin fanboys itt

He's not entirely wrong. I mean, you don't need to be a chef to judge a good meal. That argument is retarded. However, he's right that everybody's a critic these days - often without the credentials or the knowledge to warrant it. Everybody can have a voice, but that doesn't mean everybody's voice is equally valuable.

Didn't know he spent any time at this shithole but he nailed it.

Everybody's always been a critic with regard to the stuff that they consume, and why shouldn't they be if they're spending money on something.

You spend money on an album, it's shit, you say it's shit because of reasons x and y.

lel

Not saying you shouldn't be a critic. You're free to openly like or dislike whatever you want. All I'm saying is that others are probably more qualified to judge music by its artistic merit than you are.

i'm forcing myself to use the internet less and only when needed.cause it's so cancer these days. and as you can tell it's not going very well...

>these days
because 20 years ago people didnt critic art

triggered Sup Forums to hell and back.
good job, user.

;_;

lol trent needs to listen to these 4
he has no idea wtf he is talking about
same with everybody off pan records or NON.

you don't see aphex twin whining about social media. stfu trent

>Artists are trying to make music to please the tastemakers that tell the sheep what to like. It’s a vicious cycle and I think it’s unhealthy. I don’t see any Princes emerging on the scene today. I see a lot of people making formulaic, made to please, vegan restaurant patron-type shit. And I think it creates an environment where people are too fuckin’ worried about what other people have to say.
not true, the experimental music of today is gaining recognition more than ever before

> And people who have never made anything think it’s OK to talk shit about stuff they have no right to talk about. You got a Facebook account? Nobody gives a fuck. You haven’t achieved anything.”
this is right though

Anyone who actually describes people as being "sheep" is an egocentric fucktard that enjoys using buzzwords that acknowledging what the real problem is that this user described quite well. You hear so much about people complaining about music not being any good, or wondering where all the good bands have gone, these are the same people who refuse to give new bands a chance. The same people who listen to one small glimpse of a band then forget about them entirely, without realizing that all the bands they enjoy started off shit.

you sound triggered

Do I look like a gun?