/prod/ - Music Production General

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q (embed)

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go torizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client herehexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloudlink is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/4crv0wsa
clyp.it/ojw20lpc
clyp.it/lcyfe4an
clyp.it/yji1l2sc
clyp.it/buacfj4z
clyp.it/pmyg0rpx
clyp.it/sa5gsra1
youtube.com/watch?v=Lg35jIwoWcQ
clyp.it/zsxvrj5x
clyp.it/p5oclrgm
clyp.it/ehrpqbyi
clyp.it/4jnkxo35
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGYoE903Nir65HoRumooVvT_H2pcsLiv4
clyp.it/1kktnmpr
clyp.it/usote4rf
clyp.it/z1l2hvya
clyp.it/5vitsicr
clyp.it/rletxzw4
clyp.it/ci2uc50c
youtube.com/watch?v=BgP9tzt9_Z8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

could i get some feedback on my first song so far? not finished yet.
clyp.it/4crv0wsa

>missed the new thread
noob with only very basic knowledge of theory/synthesis wants to get a synth
minilogue vs ms-20 mini?
sorry if this is the wrong thread for this

Well the Minilogue is 4 voice polyphonic so you can play four notes at once. MS20 is monophonic so you can only play one note at a time and is more suited to lead lines and basslines. The MS20 is a recreation of a synth from the late 70s and has a more vintage sound. It's pretty dirty sounding and noisy but that's part of it's charm, listen to 'Metal Fingers in My Body' by Add N to (X) for a good example of how dirty the MS20 can sound if you really push it. Overall though, for a first synth though I'd go for the Minilogue.

please rate my WIP

its a house remix of sorts of "Freak Like Me" by Adina Howard (og 90s rnb)

clyp.it/ojw20lpc

minilogue just cause its more user friendly... i would mess with Reaktor or any other modular synth plugin for a while before getting a real semi modular.

So am I doing this reverb send right? Read about it in the last thread.

I have a lead routed both to master and reverb, in reverb I set wet signal to 100% (don't know on what level to set dry), and I control the input of a dry signal with the knob at the bottom.

Is this the right way to do it or? And I just route all my tracks I want reverb on to that send opposed to adding it directly to each track?

>forgot pic

WIP
clyp.it/lcyfe4an

No. If you're doing a reverb send, there shouldn't be any dry signal. Just wet. Otherwise you'll be getting two dry signals. Does that make sense?

Yeah, realized that a minute ago. Is it enough to put a dry slider to 0, then? Or did I fuck up the routing? Should I just send the track to reverb and then reverb to master, or send the track both to reverb and master?

Verse 2!

> clyp.it/yji1l2sc
> clyp.it/yji1l2sc
> clyp.it/yji1l2sc

Sorry, I didn't read your whole post before responding. Basically, on your reverb send, put the wet at 100% and the dry at 0%. Then, for example, if you want your snare's wetness to be 25%, just turn the send knob from your snare track to your reverb send up to 25%. The send know basically becomes your wet knob. This saves a lot of CPU because you'll just have 1 reverb instead of like 20 for each mixer track.

Anyway, started a remix and there's a key change in it (this is the second half of the song, didn't think you guys would want to hear the whole thing). I can't tell if it sounds weird or not.
>clyp.it/buacfj4z

Also,
>clyp.it/pmyg0rpx

What's the fastest way to improve my /prod/ skills? Recreating shit? Do some specific challenges for practice?

I don't think just doing stuff is helping me, since I need to have something to compare my work with.

Even if my work sounds similar to a track I'm recreating, I know I am still clueless about certain things and don't know what I'm doing. It's always the same process. EQ, put some compression, slap some more random effects if needed, then add a limiter and a bit of soundgoodizer to master because I don't know how to master properly nor use maximus.

I would make this picture my phone wallpaper if it was slightly less weird. Saved anyways, thanks.

Thanks. But just one more thing - so, is it okay if I send my track both to send AND master (like I did in the pic)? The only difference is that I can't get just a wet signal this way, e.g. if I want only that echo. So idk if I should just route it to reverb then.

set the send to pre fader and turn the channel fader down if you want it all wet

>soundgoodizer
First of all, that's where you're fucking up. Don't use that. Ever. Second, you might just straight up need better samples. (I can provide you with some if you want). If a sample doesn't sound good to begin with, then it's (probably) never gonna sound good. And don't expect to git gud over night. I've been doing this shit for like 7 years and I just recently feel like I got decent. Just make shit. Doesn't matter if it's good or bad. Practice.

Well, yeah, if you JUST want the wet signal from a track, then don't route it to the master.

Cool, thanks guys.

No offense but is Fruity Loops for special needs people?

it looks a bit like a toy but its the next best thing to ableton

Fuck it, I'm posting the whole thing. Would like some feedback.
>clyp.it/sa5gsra1

No problem, man.

I use it, so probably.

Does bad samples really exist? I noticed a lot of these kinds of drums lately, muddy, low-fi, noisy...

youtube.com/watch?v=Lg35jIwoWcQ

Tutorials made me think my drums should always sound crisp and clear, but I started thinking that everything can work.

I don't know, I have a feeling I am overthinking a lot. I'm not sure if I'm just on a wrong side of dunning-kruger spectrum, though.

But I noticed that when I check out some FLPs of songs that I think sound great, I often don't find much shit going on in the mix. A few times my tracks were PACKED with effects and it sounded like trash - I was actually just making it worse the more I was working on it.

it was a really polished song and i liked the vocals a lot straight out of new retro waves channel.

this one is my incomplete thing.

>>clyp.it/sa5gsra1

Imo the fine tuning LFO on the lead in the intro needs to be a little more subtle.

Nah. The design is clearer and a lot more modern (it can look childlish to some people, I personally enjoy it, but can agree on that - it's just a trend, though).

The managing of its windows sucks hard though. Why can't I just make it fixed like in ableton? That's probably the thing that pisses me off the most. That and chaotic arrangement view. Other than that, it's a great DAW and it just keeps getting better.

Do* bad samples exist.

You can always make a good sample sound shitty (if that's what you're going for) but you can't make a shitty sample sound good. And less is more. A lot people think you need to compress and EQ everything. If something already sounds good by itself, leave it alone.

Thanks, man. I've been on a synthwave kick recently. Used to make trap, oddly enough. I'll check your shit out after I post this comment!

The LFO on the pitch? Yeah, I was trying to make it sound like an old vintage synth. You know, the ones that can't hold a steady note. Guess I overdid it. I'll turn it down.

>clyp.it/4crv0wsa
Turn down the water sample a little, let it last longer, into the start of your synths. Also fade it out slower, and add a little reverb. That way people have something to focus on other than the sudden lack of sound, and the transition flows better.

I would also try and find boomier kick.

Not a bad start!

You got some cool bass sounds going on but goddamn, those vocals are loud, man.

>clyp.it/zsxvrj5x
Is this a little better?

Yeah, that sounds great.

thanks a lot man, last guy just called it "pee pee"

clyp.it/p5oclrgm

unreal tournament / deus ex desu

>tfw shit at mixing

Forget to add "send help" but i think you got the idea : how can i improve the mix

Also people seems to get feedback atm but don't hesitate to ask i'm just doing something else right now

just got REEEEEaktor

what are some fun things to mess with?

Does anyone know why nothing seeds on pro audio torrents? I've forwarded my ports and set everything up, I can barely squeeze out a few MB.

Is it just ded site = no leechers? Or do downloaders almost always automatically leech off seedboxes because it's faster?

best tool to make drone music?

Anything but you might like granular synths and some distortions vst

look for an app called "bit-che" for windows

its this program that searches all the popular sites in a clean UI. it feels like you are using old school p2p.

good one grandad

sometimes it shows seeds and peers as 0 but that could be because it cant scrape it properly so its always worth it to load up several torrents of what you want and wait for one to start before cancelling the others.

One of the most basic rules of mixing is to mix quiet. Basically, your premaster shouldn't exceed like -6db. What I usually do when I mix a song is turn all the volume sliders on my mixer to 0%. Then I'll pick one (usually it's the kick since most of the time it's the loudest thing in the mix) and bring it up to about -8db. Then I'll go down the line and bring each track up to an appropriate level using the kick as a reference. A lot of people make the mistake of trying to mix with everything at 0db. You should always have a couple of db's of headroom. You can make it loud when you master.

clyp.it/ehrpqbyi

Is this fun to listen to?

I asked in the Last thread but i went to sleep and now that thread is gone

I just installed cubase 9 on a New laptop, i didn't install asio4all before. I installed a couple of synths but when i play there is no sound coming out of my laptop speakers.
Should i reinstall? or should i just buy an interface? i wanted to go to a music Shop and buy one for my guitar

I'm starting to lose my direction. It always happens at this point when I have moderate amount of sounds and composition finished. It's too much going on for me and I can barely control it.

clyp.it/4jnkxo35

Should I finish arrangement first before I go into mixing? Now I'm just throwing different parts in to see what will sound best.

Are there any good youtube channels or something where you can just watch people make beats from the ground up? I think I'd benefit from seeing the workflow of people who are actually competent.

Sure, I like the transition at 1:07. Not a fan of the drums though, they sound thin to me

What kind of beat? Because most of the time people who make those kinds of videos just make trap beats.

Also interested. Btw, I bet I would make a larger progress in a month with a mentor than in the past 2 years alone.

Honestly I'm not a huge trap fan but the style doesn't really matter to me so much as the thought process that goes into it. I feel like I'm throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks, so I really just want to have a better understanding of what's going on inside the head of someone who can make a beat (or any kind of track really) with more forethought

Honestly just check this guy out. He doesn't just show what to do. He explains why and what it does.

>youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGYoE903Nir65HoRumooVvT_H2pcsLiv4

>track from scratch in 3 hours

>9 hours in and it still sounds bad

Goddamn it why is the progress so slow.

Thanks man, just quickly looking at this guy's stuff, I think this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Sounds better than anything I'm making man dw about it. My biggest gripe with it is I find that little melody that starts at 0:38 and ends at 0:58 a bit cheesy

Damn, I love that song - and a great choice for a jacking house remix.

My thoughts:
1. The vocal stabs in the intro sound unpolished, like the edges could be rounded off a bit. Or did you do that on purpose to sound like those early Trax records/Dance mania tracks?
2. That bassline is so silky, I love it. What did you use to make it?
3. It's just my opinion, maybe you disagree - but I think the original vocals (not pitched down) would work better in this. If you want to keep that dark/eerie vibe, you could just layer the pitched down vocals under it to give it a sort of demonic tone. Just an idea
4. I would have the vocals sitting lower in the mix and make the kick much more prominent.

I've always found it helpful to just leave it alone for a while. I finish a lot of stuff months after I've started something and put it down, then come back to it and ideas come to me much more easily. Alternatively, try making slight variations on the patterns you already have; sometimes you can accidentally make something that sounds great and start a snowball effect of inspiration.

I posted this in the last thread but I didn't get much feedback - what do you guys think?
clyp.it/1kktnmpr

clyp.it/usote4rf
thoughts?

No matter how good something I make is, at the end of the day it doesn't matter and has no artistic merit. It's nothing, waste of time. I find it terribly depressing.

What is some program that can do music for me?

Musicshake.

Spotify

maybe learn to not be a fag who says this in every thread

more complex
ebik

Any DAW

Where is /comp/ thread? Is anybody from there also active here?

How?

Minilogue is a lot of fun and you can make great sounds quickly. I have a lot of digital synths (serum, harmor, fm8), but they're just not as fun because you have to spend time menu diving/setting up your encoders to control the knobs, which feels more like an extra decision making process instead of fun noodling. With the minilogue I can tweak for five minutes and find something I like.

I also recommend it because polyphony is incredibly useful. I'd honestly rather be able to play chords/intervals in favor of the slightly fatter/warmer bottom end that mono synths tend to have.

Watch youtube tutorials

There isn't anything about it

You sound like you're not making things that make you happy.

Stop trying to achieve "artistic merit" and try to make something that honestly delights you, no matter how goofy or stupid. If you're having fun, it will come across in every note, timbre, and decision. If you're trying to make "art", you're using the wrong part of your brain. Forget the editor and favor the child.

What do you think is the most important part of the production (besides composition)? Sound design? Automatization and minor details like transitions etc.? Something else?

Like, if that thing is good, you wouldn't mind so much if the rest is shitty to average.

sound design and mix

if it's good, which can be down to any of those things

Yeah, definitely. I think your synth has a really nice and crisp sound. But just as the other user said, your drums need work. They're too thin and the kick doesn't have enough oomph

clyp.it/z1l2hvya

Hey /prod/ how does this sound? Is it something that could be decent?
Also I think the composition has too many ideas going on at once but I'm not sure how to split it up.

This is great. Where did you sample the vocals from?

Guize: I'm about to get a rapidgator premium account to download shitloads of updates and max for live stuff for ableton 9.
I need new samples/plugins/synths!!!!!!!!!
What are good samples n synths for unusual sounding FX stuff? I already got serum ( which isn't working anymore), spire, xpand. What are good synths?
>inb4 vengeance

repro-1 is really good, it's a recreation of the sequential circuits pro-one using circuit emulation technology

it's mono-only (on purpose) but that constrains you to write basslines and melodies which are good starting points

it's good if you want something different to serum/massive type synths

awesome! Thanks. I'll look into it. I just wanna get a bank of more less generic sounds. Is there any freeware plugins which are good too? I'm on mac so I'm cucked

Are there any good headphones for

ath m40x

Might as well just get the 50X if you can bump it up to $130

Similar to what the other user said: I'm a retard and use it (and suck), so probably.

yeah

Where are 50Xs for $130?

clyp.it/5vitsicr

eh?

amazon periodically, especially near black friday
>plus get prime as a student with any edu email

are beats basically loops?

where did it all go wrong for Kanye? When did he make the transition from passionate producer to egomaniac?

You act like you can't be a passionate producer and an egomaniac. Also you didn't answer my question.

clyp.it/rletxzw4

Think I'm nearly done with this, been working on it on and off for months so it's time to let it go I guess. Gonna add more variation to the piano, but any general comments/criticism on things I can sort out?

Thanks

i would say no because anyone can shit out 3 loops per day

it's just incredibly fucking easy to use. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE could pick up FL studio and make a "good" EDM track. There's a reason why uninspired bedroom producers and FrankJavcee use FL

his ego has definitely overshadowed his love for music.

anyone could pick up any daw and make a good edm track, fl just happens to be the easiest. what bothers me the most is that people who use ex. ableton or cubase think theyre instantly better than someone who uses fl studio.

Another night, another remake. Okay, I didn't finish this, but it's simpler than Selena's from yesterday. 1 hour in:

clyp.it/ci2uc50c

So, I'm using Diva, and I can't figure out why those stacattos in the beginning sometimes get so loud, I can't control their volume at all. Is it a problem with phase or what? Also, I don't know why I can't find a simple sine wave, I made that synth with a triangle wave, LPF and high resonance.

Would appreciate some tips, but I know I didn't completely nail the sounds yet and I think it gets muddy when the guitar hits.

This is the song I'm remaking btw:

youtube.com/watch?v=BgP9tzt9_Z8

P.S. I'm still not sure if I'm improving with this or not, but oh well.

I'm using Kontakt 5 and keep getting this error message: "Looks like we're out of memory. I'm afraid we're going to crash, soldier."
I googled around and heard about a purging function in Kontakt that can help me, can this help with my memory problem?

You don't even realize you are telling the exact reason why FL is great. Yes, it's easy to use, it doesn't make you a good musician because of that, though.

also, would flattening some of my tracks help? I'm running like 5 kontakt tracks rn and trying to add a sixth

bouncing to audio would help, as would installing more ram

so is this an issue with my computer's RAM or kontak itselft? I have the libraries stored on an external

yeah it's a ram issue, by saying "we're out of memory" it means you're maxing out available ram, so kontakt (and anything else) is out of ram to access