Why is there a vinyl revival and why are people interested at all?

Why is there a vinyl revival and why are people interested at all?

Advantages of vinyl
>looks cool
>kinda nostalgic, maybe
>moar warm bass
Disadvantages
>more inconvenient compared to digital and CD
>expensive, not only for an LP but a turntable and good speakers/headphones along with costs of amps/DACs, fixing room acoustics
>physically degrades, bends, warps, gets scratched

Other urls found in this thread:

pitchfork.com/news/64834-half-of-uk-vinyl-buyers-dont-actually-listen-to-their-lps-survey-finds/?mbid=social_facebook
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Most people are in on it because it's a trend/something to show off when people come over. Personally I hate that people are like that, but in a business sense I love it because I manage a record store in the UK. Most people don't or won't benefit from it as a medium because their setup is shite. I have only a few records, the bulk of stuff I own is on CD, but even then it just gets burnt straight to my laptop (320 desu). It's funny watching plebs pay £20 for a record they're going to hear through 1.5W integrated speakers on their Crosley. Then they'll boast about how 'warm & rich' the sound is. Classic. lul

Boi, you better be in West London so I can come and visit.
[spoiler]I saw a Kano album on vinyl in a HMV a few weeks ago. Weird, never thought grime would fall for the vinyl meme.[/spoiler]

I listen to most of my music on my pc at 320 and it sounds good and is really easy.

But I still collect albums I like on vinyl, not for the sound meme but because I like having a physical copy of something I like.

Denon turntable and amp with Kef speakers btw

Why not the CD version?

Nah bruh. Cheltenham.

>Gloucestershire
Enjoy your meme county, senpai.

>Advantages of vinyl
>>looks cool
>>kinda nostalgic, maybe

Cool album covers you can actually see.

>Disadvantages

Everything else.

>is
>is
>IS

vinyl revival stopped being cool in 2013, at this point its just the dying breath of a fad

I got into records because my parents have huge collections. Seeing as me and my Dad talk about music literally all the time I thought it was only right to get into records. I see myself a quality over quantity kinda guy, I (try) to buy only originals if I can. I'll say I'm definetely in it for the sound, but I also want to have a huge collection when I'm older.

people finally realized buying digital albums is fugazi

It's fun

the only thing i hate about the fact that vinyl is breaking the mainstream is the fact that they're jacking prices now.
Just look at places like discogs and any place that sells new records
a record that used to be around $15 or $17 goes for $25
and don't even get me started on discogs. those fucking jews are out of their minds if they think they're getting over $50 for a repressing

vinyl went mainstream 4 years ago, way before you started you dumb underage

>Urban Outfitters
>Rich white girls
>tons of misinformation on the internet with regards to the audio quality difference between the formats of Vinyl and CD

yeah and the prices have been jacked for four years that's what i'm saying

I'm not this user, but I personally like the vinyl version better because it's bigger, and easier to appreciate the art. I also like to play them, and I focus more on the music when I have to actually take out/flip the record etc. It's the ritual.

nice damage control my man

4 years isn't that long in the grand scheme of music

>county considered a meme
>browsed Sup Forums for years
>never seen Gloucestershire come up once
>originally from lancashire

Tell that to The Velvet Underground

you've got "new to music" written all over you

I'm just fucking with you, man.

vinyl seem like the most inflated medium I can think of next to new hardcover book releases in the $30+ range

i could seriously thrift a library of /lit/ for the price of a handful of records

Maybe if you're only buying Taylor Swift records, but most shit I get goes for around $10-15

i can't lou reed is dead
what does this even mean? you're just saying shit to make yourself seem smarter

>you hurt my feelywheelies

Whereabouts you at neegra

See

>paying for music

This

So, I had a vinyl album in my car when I went through a multiple roll over crasg. Do you think it's still good?

I think many of these criticisms about collecting vinyl are valid. But my guess is most Sup Forumstants don't use them as some form of social capital or nostalgia. So while I think it's important to scratch our heads when we see the latest Bieber album released on wax, we should acknowledge that most people on this message board have very legitimate reason to collect vinyl.

Personally, I love collecting records because it stabilizes my listening happens and helps me focus a handful of records that I adore. You annons may be naturally inclined to deep listening, but I find the limitless of streaming services to change my listening habits, so that I'm looking for immediate rewards just a click a way. I think it's more difficult to create an intimate relationship with a piece of art unless you physically possess or at least continue to return to it. I think vinyl is one of best, but certainly not the only, ways to do this. The ephemerality of streaming music, I believe, does not permit a similar type of relationship.

This also has a lot to do with my reasons for listening to music. I like forming emotional relationships with albums and having it change me. In my experience, vinyl has a nice way of drowning out the excess of new modes of music consumption.

Kanye 2020

I don't have any special attachment to the format, but vinyl masters tend not to get brickwalled/distorted to shit like CD/digital masters do.

Fag

Aren't modern vinyls just the digital master though?
>brickwalled/distorted to shit like CD
I'm almost certain this isn't CD, it's the artist/producers fault.

I always figured it was a lot like comparing a modern Porsche to a vintage Porsche.

The modern car performs better in every aspect: acceleration, handling, stopping, comfort, amenities. But the vintage has a soul and even though it's a pain in the ass, you can't give that car up.

op of this
This exact reason

>Aren't modern vinyls just the digital master though?
I expect that's the case with some music, but not the stuff I buy. They tend to use significantly less compression for vinyl masters. And as far as volume goes, digital clipping sounds like actual shit, plus there's only so far you can push vinyl before it starts skipping all over the place.

>I'm almost certain this isn't CD, it's the artist/producers fault.
It is the fault of the artist/producer/mastering engineer/label, I agree. I don't have a problem with CD as a format. Ideally, I'd like well-mastered 24-bit/96kHz digital releases, but usually, vinyl is the best option.

What do you guys consider adequate-equipment tho?

I'm spinning with an ATLP120 + Pro-Ject MaiA-combo right now, and i genuinely find the sound more pleasing to me. (i know most of the "BUT IT SOUNDS BETTUR!!!11!!" is just placebo but remember that many records were first recorded and mixed with analogue equipment from the start)

This. The ritual draws more of my attention towards the music itself. I don't understand how people here in Sup Forums manage to just sit in front of their computer, staring at their foobar2000-window.

People also love returning to vintage-shit just to feel the times. Folks who drove those Porsches back whenever they were the newest version, they'll save it in some garage and/or keep working on it through the years.

some are audiophiles, but these are the minority (you can tell by most of the set ups being pretty cheap/shit)

the actual answer is just materialism and image. people clinging to physical objects in the digital age, even if they don't have a real understanding of the technology or how to get the most out if it. vinyl is inherently distorted compared to CDs, and even though a great set up can sound amazing in a unique way, most vinyl "enthusiasts" just buy vinyl because they want to look the part.

personally, I don't have much interest in vinyl. it's a sink of money for diminishing returns, but I understand that the experience and peculiarity of the sound can be appealing to some who take it seriously. and crate-digging can be fun, too, I suppose. the only thing I really lament about digital is artwork, but it's a lot of money to spend just for that. but I get it, digital music is impersonal, and cds are terrible collectors' items. I just think the idea that you can ever "own" music is kinda stupid and very much an idea the music industry wants you to cling on to

the resurgence going on right now is mostly just teenagers being taken advantage of with overpriced new records that are often just pressed from cd masters anyway. even genuine collectors seem to understand this, so anyone triggered by this notion is the exact dilettante hipster I'm talking about

So I don't have to feel bad about using slsk :^)

You literally just answered your own question with the advantages.

pitchfork.com/news/64834-half-of-uk-vinyl-buyers-dont-actually-listen-to-their-lps-survey-finds/?mbid=social_facebook
>BBC News, which was first to report on the survey, quotes a student in Manchester as saying: "I have vinyls in my room but it's more for decor. I don't actually play them ... It gives me the old-school vibe. That's what vinyl's all about."

(You)

This so hard.

Also, there are fidelity based reasons to go for an OG pressing over a digital remaster, especially when it comes to any pre-digital rock music, jazz, and classical.

I also think people who are anti vinyl on this board seem to be a little ignorant and only know about the overpriced reissues and/or the kikes on discogs. Crate digging and buying used runs no more than 5 or 6 bucks per record, averages around 3 to 4. People who like overlooked or old music have a great hookup when it comes to used records.

Been collecting for 2 years, about 400 albums in. I never buy overpriced records so I already have a net value of 4k (median) even though I've spent maybe 1k since I've started collecting. Recently came into a couple hundred records dumped onto my from a local bar so I'll be looking through that this afternoon. Not everyone who has started collecting records did it to accrue social cache or hop on a trend despite not knowing anything about it, Sup Forums. Let people enjoy things.

>listen to vinyl
>play song on mute to scrobble it
any one else do this dumb shit?

People still use last.fm?

I do. Shameful but i don't care. Gotta get dem scrobbles

I don't think anyone really thinks there are absolutely no reasons to collect vinyl, or that everyone into it is trying to "accrue social cache." Certainly I haven't seen anyone suggest that ITT.

But OP's question is about the revival, and I do think that has more to do with superficial reasons. I could be wrong, of course, but when I think of the recent vinyl revival I think of Crosleys, Urban Outfitters and unused records hanging up in student bedrooms, not crate-digging for used records. I agree that these types likely aren't on Sup Forums, but I just assume the question is about the wider revival.

I probably would if I used vinyl. But I guess sites like Last.fm for digital music actually prove that being superficial about music and wanting there to be visible evidence of your "taste" is neither limited to vinyl, nor an inherently bad thing.

Not all music is available on CD, you cringeworthy cunt.

Business idea: Sell vinyl-sized artwork with a download code on the back for the price of a CD

Can't be bothered to collect vinyl but if you think doing something for social reasons is automatically superficial, then your social life probably sucks hard.

I really wish there wasn't a vinyl revival.
People who have been collecting most of their lives, like me, are finding it harder and harder to actually work on their collection.

ding ding ding ding... I've thought this before and to also sell kitschy frames that fit them. You could make a killing.

you get cool looking colored vinyls, get gatefolds, big covers, better sound if you care enough, get to interact with the music, its a different experience because you cant skip tracks and listen to an LP the way it was meant to be listened to

what is supply and demand

>vinyls

>can't scrobble

Dropped

Try 9 years ago

i was thinking about getting into vinyl because i like to collect things but it just seems too expensive to build a large collection

I know they're doing this with home video, except it's actual DVD/blu-ray instead of download, but on a 12"-sized jacket because muh laserdisc

As someone who gets music for free, buying vinyl is a form of supporting artists in a way I find the best and having my own tangible copies of releases I really like.

I'll admit, modern vinyl is kind of a novelty for me, it's truly weird to have a copy of Far Side Virtual in vinyl. That's another appeal, which is only secondary.

I quit smoking, So I spent the money on plastic music disks instead.
I mentioned in another thread about having musical A.D.D. Vinyl slows me down, and now I listen to the whole album and catch some of the music I would have otherwise missed.

Materialism, that's what. People think that if they're going to go to the effort of buying music, they might as well spent a little extra and get it in a form they can show off.

Also from a design standpoint, the vinyl packaging is the one that is the basis for every other format, and also the one that makes more sense. You get the jacket, additional pictures and info inside gatefold or on a one-piece insert, sometimes printed inner sleeve, presented in a proper manner. While on CD you get the same info size-cut and spread on a several-page booklet that most people will only go through a couple of times.