Video Game Adaptations

So, with the scores for Warcraft in the toilet, we're forced yet again to consider the idea that maybe vidya isn't for film.

Despite this, it seems like game devs are hell-bent on making their games more like films. The recent rise in story-driven games with painfully long cinematic cutscenes makes me think that devs are sick of being classified as "children's toys" and are making an effort to be taken seriously.

What do you think? Is it possible to make a good movie based on a video game, or does the lack of an interactive element rip away any entertainment value it could have?

Blizz has some of the best cinematics for their games. Almost every WoW cinematic is great to watch. It completely baffles me that they don't just make a movie or series of short films using this method.

because you can afford to have that kind of detail in a 3 minute trailer rather than a full lenght 150ish minute movie

but I agree, have a fucking liveaction cast was a bad idea and they should have gone full CGI

Probably because the last time that happened we got Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

I agree that Blizz does fucking fantastic, but without proper control it'll just start to feel like a way-too-long cutscene.

If they got some blighted former Disney employee (coughcoughbradbirdcough) to helm Overwatch, we'd have a fucking masterpiece on our hands.

>Oscar Isaac as Reaper
That's on-fucking-point right there.

Most of the casting is, actually, but Goodman as Roadhog doesn't sit well with me, same with Eastwood as 76.

I've seen this posted before. You can tell James Gunn was chosen here exclusively for his experience making GOTG which would result in a very predictable experience albeit a good one; besides that there isn't a single well-chosen casting in the entire plot.

Considering it should be animated or else it'd lose virtually all of it's charm, i feel like it would be most well directed by Genndy Tartakovsky and all the characters VA'd by their original actors. (Except maybe Tracer, i hate her voice so fucking much)

CHEERS LOVE THE CAVALRY'S HERE

The reason vidyakino has yet to happen is because

>A. Most the the time the directors hired by the studios are just no name no talent hack yes men with not artistic voice

>B. The video game they choose to make a movie out of just does not work in a live action full length format.

>C. most video game plots are stupid and convoluted as fuck

also i fucking hate heavily story based video games. If I want a "cinematic" experience then i will watch a movie. I play videogames to run around and shoot monsters in the face for a few hours (ie why the recent DOOM was so great)

Only time story-based games work if it's a point-and-click game

I actually need this movie

>Isaac as Reaper
>Seydoux as Widowmaker

This is amazing casting.
But 76, Hanzo and Goodman doesen't fit well

>2016
>playing point and click "games"

I mean classic shit like Grim Fandango and Monkey Island are prime film material, because gameplay isn't really the point in those.

Overwatch is essentially Watchmen

This

Scores in the toilet, by reviewers yes

It is scoring an 8 on imdb and that is a correct score for fantasy fans

It was a great movie and I hope we get sequels. The CGI was on point. Though it was more for the fans than a general audience, a fantasy fan should be able to enjoy the badass orcs.

I don't see it. Is it just because it's an ensemble/team up?

If that's the case Avengers is TF2

Last of Us movie starring either Garret Dillahunt, Timothy Olyphant, or Josh Brolin as Joel.

Why not just make either a TV show or a very long movie? I really don't understand how do they expect to shove an entire video game lore and story line in to less then 2 hours movie? Sometimes the cinematics alone are as long as an entire movie

I feel Scott Eastwood would be a better Mccree

>I hope we get vidya sequels
No. Because if the first vidya movie manages to beat the "vidya movies suck" rule, it's sequels always end up fulfilling it. See Tomb Raider movies. First one did well in the box office, then the second crashed and burned.

I want to hold hands with D.Va

They could, and the community would love it. But the 20 or so pro movie critics from rotten tomatoes' opinions would easily overshadow everyone else's opinions. They would undoubtly give it shit ratings too, simply for being vidyabased

Delete this

Overwatch is just Activision forcing Blizzard to make more games and is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Overwatch is nothing but a TF2 Clone and if you buy it you're a huge shill.

Fuck... me too... ;_;

If it's a TF2 clone, then where are my hats and unusuals?

its not a hatfortress clone.

Warcraft is an 8/10 faggot 7/10 for noprmies

watch final fantasy xv : kingsglaive, it'll blown you away

that mai, holy shit, this is correct. THIS THIS!