Unpopular opinion--this is better than Master of Puppets

Unpopular opinion--this is better than Master of Puppets

That's not an unpopular opinion

Reposting my comment that I want to be a copypasta

>Literally all of their songs sound nearly identical. The riffs are all in that one section of the fretboard that raining blood uses, and the vocals are all exactly the same yelling thing he does just with different words for each song

Kerry King is actually pretty candid about his limitations as a guitarist.

It's actually a 28 minute suite

>The riffs are all in that one section of the fretboard that raining blood uses
It's a fairly standard chromatic riff.

My favorite smiths album is their s/t album

Dave Lombardo is still a demon on the skins while Lars Ulrich gave up in 1991, so...

here's a real """unpopular""" """opinion""" that is actually a true fact
regan in blood is one of the best hip-hop albums of all times

If you do a riff/time ratio for not just metal albums, but music in general, Reign In Blood is going to be among if not at the very top. Yes all the riffs are very simplistic, but they use that to their advantage and have more riffs than anyone else even if said riffs don't have a lot of variation.

you would have to be a teen or a complete moron to believe otherwise

very insightful, piercing musicological analysis

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea isn't that good.

It's a wrong opinion, but not that unpopular. Plenty of people can't appreciate dynamic songwriting as much as blunt force.

RIB has way more dynamics than hamfisted Metallica ever had. If by dynamics you mean "epic clean guitar sections and bass solos" then you're right that Metallica has way more of those

Dave Mustaine and James Hetfield are two of the best rhythm guitarists to ever live. The clowns in Slayer can't touch them.

I like both albums and listen to both.

Master of Puppets [Elektra, 1986]

I feel a distinct generation gap between myself and this music, not because my weary bones can't take its power and speed, but because I was born far too soon to have had my dendrites rewired by progressive radio. The momentum of this band can be impressive, and as with most fast metal (as well as some sludge metal), they seem to have acceptable political motivations--antiwar, anticonformity, even anticoke. Fine. Problem is, the revolutionary heroes I envision aren't male chauvinists too naive to know better, they're not Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan the Barbarian, all flowing hair and huge pecs. That's the image Metallica calls up, and I feel no more obligated to summon their strength of my own free will than I am the 1812 Overture's. B-

Reign In Blood [Def Jam, 1986]

I'm not about to check out the complete works of Venom to see if you can't do better, but anyone wondering what gets Washington ladies up these days is welcome to buy, beg, borrow, or steal this piece of, quote, speed Satanism, un quote. Rick Rubin focused, CBS passed, guitar's quicker than a theremin on reverb. And to top it off, "Jesus Saves" mauls the enemy, which as we all know isn't Jesus, or Satan for that matter. B+

will this fag die already?

I guess he likes RIB because it's so comically ridiculous that he couldn't help but smile.

>wrong opinion
lol

pic related is better than RIB

Good old Christgau. Exposing the truth about metal and prog since 1970.

Yeah it is.

Can anyone recommend something with a similar snare sound to this album? It's super hard and punches through the entire mix & I love it, I know there's a few 80's hardcore bands (who Lombardo was hugely influenced by) who have a similar punch to their snare but I can't think of any

Slint is a mediocre band.
Unwound is better than Slint.

Metallica were definitely the better live band back in the day.

Nah they were always piss sloppy.

>There is people in mu who takes Christfag seriously
Is like taking any /mu shitposter seriously.

>shit on three Black Sabbath albums, calling them names like bullshit necromancy
>never reviewed any Judas Priest or Iron Maiden albums and instead just relegated them to his Meltdown list
>liked Metallica's politics but disliked their tough guy image
>reviewed only one Pantera album and gave it a bomb rating

I love how hard he triggers mealfags.

If only they made it more cohesive or scrambled it up even more than it is it would be the logical conclusion to metal music, but as is it's already surpassed by the average death metal album and can't compete with the awe-inspiring follow-up.

Slayer catch a lot of hate but they're early stuff was really fucking good

honestly a perfect album.

And this is better than Rain in Blood

Unpopular opinion: Guns and Roses are a one album wonder, and even that album isn't that good.

I like both but RiB is so frantic (mostly because of Lombardo) that I have to agree with you here.

Not fair to mention Coroner. They're godsend.

this

You don't know what dynamics means do you

why was slayer on def jam again?

Says a Slayer fan? Seriously? Metallica were and are significantly tighter.

Rick Rubin produced it

The Rolling Stones sucks.

They perfected their style on this album

Not really. Sure Metallica can do more spontaneous stuff more easily, but when it comes to their own actual tracks Slayer is easily more tight thanks to how good the Araya/Lombardo rhythm section was.

Metallica wastes too much time with that stuff though. Not to mention that their stuff was way too simple otherwise compared to others who had a fair amount of intricate riffing, didn't waste their time with riffs, and used a lot of dynamics like Megadeth, Coroner, and now Vektor. Slayer just got straight to the point compared to these bands. At least Slayer's good at what they do. Metallica's a jack of all trades master of none. Actually not even a jack of all trades like a little below average of all trades. That's why they are kind of the mainstream pop equivalent of metal; they have a bunch of things they do, but none of it is all that well done.

>how good the Araya/Lombardo rhythm section was.
I'll actually be happy if this is b8 and I fell for it. Araya literally can't match a fucking beat to save his life, he's objectively one of the shittest bassists in thrash, what the fuck are you smoking?

Not the user you're talking to but no matter how shitty the bass player, you can go wrong with Lombardo behind the kit. Besides a couple of tracks (Black Magic, all of DiM, and Psychopathy Red) you can't really hear Araya's bass in Slayer, so it's not like there's much of gim yo be judged.
I like his tone in the Hand Of Doom cover, though.

Except the bassists job is literally the sync with the drummer to provide a solid backing. It doesn't matter if you're the greatest drummer on earth, if your bassist can't play to match you.
Bad bassist = sloppy rhythm section.
Plus Kerry King is one of the sloppiest guitarists ever too so that doesn't help.
Point being, you cant point at Metallica for being sloppy if the band you're comparing them to is Slayer.

AMSP is the best Radiohead album.

This.