Stefano Sollima to direct Sicario sequel, Soldado

>Stefano Sollima to direct Sicario 2 titled Soldado

>The sequel focuses on Alejandro Gillick, the shadowy Man on Fire-like protagonist played by Benicio Del Toro, and Josh Brolin’s CIA agent Matt Graver, who in the first film established themselves as hellbent on hunting down cartel kingpins, no matter what. The script by Sheridan — who wrote the original — has been very well received. Gone is the principled FBI agent character played by Emily Blunt. The subject matter is very topical, as Gillick and Graver concern themselves with what is being smuggled across the border between Mexico and the U.S. in the tunnels used to move drugs and illegal immigrants. Those tunnels also can be used to bring terrorists into the U.S.

>Emily Blunt not returning

deadline.com/2016/06/sicario-sequel-stefano-sollima-benicio-del-toro-gomorra-1201765978/

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jJ8TnlNpatk
youtube.com/watch?v=JQoqsKoJVDw
youtube.com/watch?v=_VGSuAxdNXE
thewrap.com/emily-blunt-talks-deleted-sicario-nude-scene-that-my-tits-didnt-agree-with-and-her-devil-wears-prada-inspiration-audio/
youtube.com/watch?v=bn6A5eivvu8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it stinks

i'd be more excited if Villeneuve were coming back, but at least Sheridan wrote the script.

Might be good

I guess the rape scene was too much for her

i don't think it needed to be directly tied to the first one. maybe a mention or a character or more.
i don't know what they're going to do as the first one relied on blunt's character. if this focuses on sicario then it could be much darker and audiences might not be down for that

>no sjws to ruin the movie anymore

Sign me up, senpai.

i liked sicario
i don't think this one has any legs, but i'm clearly being premature

>Thoughts?
Without Villeneuve, Deakins, and whoever did the score, it will be a glib facsimile.

No thx

>whoever did the score
you mean Johann Johannsson, one of the best composers working today, and not just in the film world

youtube.com/watch?v=jJ8TnlNpatk

thats a lot of s words

Blunt's character couldn't really go anywhere anyways. They could expand her relationship with Sicario but apart from that, there's not much to do with her.

How are Icelanders so based when it comes to music?

Suburra directed by Stefano Sollima is a hidden gem

Del Toro carried the fuck outta this movie, so I'm actually hyped for a sequel with only him and Brolin being the MCs, Blunt was shit.

i can't believe there are people who missed the point of SICARIO this hard

it's kind of hilarious, really

What was the point according to you?

yeah dat gai

Blunt's character is intentionally a little bitch.

The drug war is an endless, pointless black hole that will swallow any decent person who attempts to keep any kind of moral standard.

The last thing the sequel needs to be is some "badass" action-thriller. At least the screenwriter is coming back.

this guy put it better than i was going to

this.
As much as I loved sicario.
I don't think we need a sequel.

>he didnt think conflicting character dynamics made the movie

just get out

If they do that and treat it as a middle act I'll be fine with it as long as we get a third movie that resolves those themes appropriately.

If this is played straight as a shoot em up action sequel I'll puke.

Is our boy Michael Weston coming back to get his dick hard again

But the police always works to catches the drugs and criminals, thanks God the police is on the side of us.

>Its gonna be an action flick albeit thriller like heat

"Shhhh. Just let it happen"

>Sollima

This movie was good

are you stupid?

the script was the worst thing about it you fucking prole.

Are you?

Semi-agree. The drug war is without end, because its the degenerate consumer fuelling it. But that does not make it pointless. But in reality the conflict over drugs is just a conceit for violent struggle in any case, and is something that we can avert our eyes to but will never really disappear

Empty shit for plebs, just like original Sicario. Villeneuve is pure fucking hack.

Apparently the other thriller Sheridan wrote got uniformly great reviews at Cannes, and the trailers are looking breddy gud.

youtube.com/watch?v=JQoqsKoJVDw

Maybe he can do it again.

There was nothing sjw about sicario unless you're a fucking mongoloid, so i'm guessing you're the teenage Sup Forums pleb.

There's nothing wrong with going full action shlock for the sequel. You're basically giving up all pretenses once there is a sequel at all anyway so might as well go all the way

The only thing that bothered me about this movie is how much exaggeration there is. I am from Mexico and I actually lived in Tijuana from 1997 to 2002, when the Arellano Félix brothers were in control of the drug routes there. Surprisingly, I never even heard a single gunshot in the city in the time I lived there, and I never saw a dead body IRL. I know this movie depicts Juárez and not Tijuana, but I had been there once in 2001 and then again in 2003, and I never heard of any trouble.

You need to go back

rofl stop acting like its was some deep insightful philosophical take. Same fucking 'corrupt the good guy' has been written ad nauseum for millennia.

I don't really follow the situation in mexico, haven't things been even worse the past five years?

There was nothing absolutely fuck all nothing shocking or revealing in Sicario.

Empty posturing on a commonly known fact about US influenced/born drugtrade with same jaded storytelling like million drug stories taking place in Mexico.

Plus Villeneuve absolutely has fuck all own ideas, vanilla directing which you can tell from how much more it looks like Roger Deakins narratively lacking film than 'Villeneuve film'

Pretty pictures for sake of pretty pictures, pure trash.

Should have been a prequel, in the native tongue of south americans with english subtitles, who was sicario, what did he do, who trained, who killed his family, what lead to it, how did burgers pick him up and train it, it could follow his life through 10 years of what ever the fuck he did, and lead up to the first movie and end

sasuga the subhuman animeposter. I guess all literature should have stopped with the epic of giglamesh you serf.

it's not deep. you're just a fucking moron.

*tips fedora*

>I am from Mexico
>Now I'm in the US

GO
BACK

Good news. I really enjoyed Sicario. Had no idea it was such a hit. Shame the director isn't returning though.

I have a question that is semi-related to the thread: does anyone know the title of a movie starring Benicio del Toro from the 1980s as a Mexican drug lord? It was about some DEA agent that got killed, I remember seeing that movie when I was 10, but it was like 20 years ago and I can't remember many more details about it.

>Drug Wars: The Camareno Story

took me about 20 seconds on IMDB, user

No one here is claiming it's a deep, philosophical masterpiece.

It's an A+ thriller that happens to have a simple but strong thematic throughline that plays out naturally and wraps itself up cleanly and effectively.

I enjoyed it for the same reasons I enjoyed Ex Machina, where two writers/directors took basic cliche elements, stripped out all the fat and used the well-trod concepts so well that they felt fresh and new.

Thats 13 years ago dude.

They still smuggled coke with airplanes directly from columbia back then.

retard

How can you have thriller when there is nothing thrilling about the predictable shit it is? The border shootout has some sense of thriller, but after that it is fairly vanilla film.

>Strong thematic
Haha it isn't strong at all. Throwing hands in the air and being jaded and cynical is not strong thematic thought line, it is the slack jawed faggot cop out for easy narrative that's been done a million times.

looks edgy

>you have to post on the same board as people who poorly quote insults from their favorite movies in 'serious' posts
fuck my life

sicario felt and played like a very one off thing

Not to mention Tijuana is a tourist town just south of San Diego that they have to keep somewhat respectable to keep the American money coming in. Just cause you don't see the heinous shit in the street, doesn't mean it ain't happening.

So did anyone ever acquit Blunt for killing that cop?

THey cut the bad and emphasize the good, whats the problem?

that image looks like mongolian cartoon to you you fucking redditor? its chinese comic ya dumb fuck

I didn't say it was deep you fucking idiot that was my point

You never know with movies like that user, it can be easy hit or miss, i cant judge a movie until i see it.

>all these people trashing Blunt's character
It was the only thing (besides cinematography) that gave the film a facade of substance. Without her it would have been a shoot-em-up flick.

naive girl = substance

but nobody's trashing blunt, everybody just said that the character ran its course

>no Villeneuve

she removed the topless scene from the movie

Emily Blund played an idiot that got what she deserved, it's ok for her character to fuck off to a small town and hang herself afterwards.

HOWEVER they're fucking it up going back to the same border tunnels shit.

Sicario was about killing a boss, with a cool tunnel scene.

I think Soldado should have perhaps been a prequel or sequel that took place in the colombian jungle and was more about SAD operations, more military oriented.

I prefer the response where you say you haven't seen a dead guy in over five years.

What? No she didn't.

She's not in it because she refused to kiss the black guy. At first, it was the black guy who was supposed to betray her, but because she doesn't kiss blacks, they have to have his "white" friend rape her. No wonder it looked so odd and out of the blue.

for you

I'm glad Villeneuve isn't returning, Deakins still might, and curious about Sollima. Haven't seen any of his films or shows, but I'm a fan of his father Sergio Sollima, so I paid attention when I heard his name and read good things about ACAB and Suburra. Sollima seems to have a few things in common with José Padilha, both worked on gritty crime films and TV shows on local drug wars and government corruption and have been called fascist by dumb critics, then got coopted by Hollywood.

Removing the character the audience identified with is going to be interesting. Blunt's character was also the moral compass. So if I'm understanding this right, it's just going to be Josh Brolin and Del Toro hunting down cartel boys and possible terrorists? No moral dilemmas, no emotions? I don't know how well that will be received. I'll watch it though, because what Sup Forums user doesn't like operatorcore?

it sounds awful. i hated it when it was first announced but now that the director isn't coming back i hate it even more.

CLOSE YOUR MOUTH

will Iva Boner be in the sequel?

They dropped blunt so Im not buying a ticket

>when you're burned you have nothing
>you rely on anyone who's still talking to you
>a trigger happy ex girlfriend
>an old friend who used to inform on you to the FBI

>and a down and out Mexican lawyer-turned-hitman you met along the way

There was no way Villeneuve was ever coming back to direct this, he's making fucking blade runner. Probably no Deakins either. But hopefully JJ comes back to do the score.

youtube.com/watch?v=_VGSuAxdNXE

Christ if the USP Silenced isn't the sexiest pistol on earth.

Is it legal to get one in the US?

>She's not in it because she refused to kiss the black guy.

thewrap.com/emily-blunt-talks-deleted-sicario-nude-scene-that-my-tits-didnt-agree-with-and-her-devil-wears-prada-inspiration-audio/

>>She's not in it because she refused to kiss the black guy.

>his filmography

haha dead in the water

thank god.

>no one posted it yet

sollima is great, watch romanzo criminale or gomorra

Sollima is better than Villeneuve

youtube.com/watch?v=bn6A5eivvu8