Everyone claims this is one of the greatest albums of all time

>everyone claims this is one of the greatest albums of all time
>listen to it
>it's just proto-Godspeed crescendo-core shit

Am I missing something? This was nothing that hasn't been done better by many other bands. Sure it was original for it's time but that's probably the only thing significant or interesting about it

Please don't compare this album to that overrated meme band

Listen to it while eating carrots

Listen to it high

It's far more a combination indicative of industrial, first wave post-rock, and experimental rock/electronic music in general than it is crescendo-core. Still unique due to how much of a heavy musique concrete influence there is on the whole thing and how much darker it sounds compared to other stuff that came from Germany back then while still maintaining that signature Germany style of that time.

>faust
>crescendo-core

what
anyway let me reveal the big secrets
"why don't you eat carrots?" this is innuendo for "why don't you blow me?"
"meadow meal" is innuendo for "muff dive"
and "miss fortune" is a prophecy of "miss Sup Forums" i bet you didn't know that

This album constantly changes its sound. It really keeps you hooked throughout, thinking "what will they do next?" Not many albums give a similar feeling.

this is what happens when g*rmans try to make art

>Am I missing something?
absolutely not. it's hipster retard autist core. literally the worst album of all time. it's simply a device for hipsters to circlejerk over

this is meaningless drivel

Is it? How so?

Faust IV is their only album I actually like throughout to be honest. Krautrock in general is a letdown, there's nothing that comes even close to Can or Neu (to a lesser extent) and they're like the most entry-level krautrock

>crescendo-core

But there's no crescendos.

to clarify I think Can and Neu are amazing, it's a letdown because the whole idea of them being "krautrock" suggests there's a bunch of other bands making stuff like Tago Mago waiting for you to tap into when that it isn't the case at all

holy fuck drop your trip, this is the worst analysis of an album i've ever read

Some top tier bait you got here user

Listen to Amon Duul II user

Why don't you eat carrots?

Also, for anyone looking at real pre-Godspeed stuff, check out Tangerine Dream's Zeit.

Wanna know how I know you've only actually listened to Can, Neu, and Faust?

god dammit. it pisses me off that this album is so hyped up on here because of its influence and legacy

I listened to it with no expectations and really enjoyed it for its crazy experimental, almost schizophrenic feel. If I had gone in thinking that was the "Greatest album of all time" I would not have enjoyed it as much

People really need to learn to ignore what Sup Forums says and form their own opinions

Pretty sure most people here would rate it around a 3.5/5 or 4/5. Only Scaruffi and some poser types here say it's GOAT tier.

It's in my top ten, man. Then again I don't go off spouting it's the greatest album ever.

listen to Amon Duul user... they're my favorite krautrock band

Yeti and Phallus Dei are fantastic

Just curious but what are your reasons for putting it in your top ten?

No love for Tanz Der Lemminge

Conceptual consistency and uniqueness more than anything. The higher an album rates for me the higher it has a consistency of sound, motif of sound, some kind of thematic link between the lyrics, etc. Faust is about casting off 20 years of mainstream music to create something. It does it almost perfectly. I'm not a fan of the goblin sounds near the end of Miss Fortune.

I have and they're a good band but I guess where I'm coming from with this is that I like Can and Neu largely because of their strength with rhythms and what I've heard of Amon Duul II (or Faust or really anything else out of Germany from the 70s I've listened too and forgotten about over the years) isn't really special in that regard

I can see where you're coming from in that regard, I can do naught but disagree that the other bands aren't special, however. Especially Amon Duul II.

Ash Ra Tempel's Amboss may be nice for you. Klaus Schulze is a goddamn machine on the drums. Barring that, I'd say not much else of krautrock would interest you. Perhaps one or two Guru Guru albums.

I think you just want the more straightforward groovy stuff like Can, Neu and later Faust as opposed to some of the more complex jazzy rhythms of Amon Duul, earlier Faust, Eiliff, etc.

Ash Ra Tempel - s/t
Kraftwerk - s/t
Brainticket - Cottonwoodhill
La Düsseldorf - s/t

Thanks, it's been a while since I've really tried checking out any different German band to be honest

>I think you just want the more straightforward groovy stuff like Can, Neu and later Faust

That's probably fair, thanks for recs

check out Günter Schickert

this is not criteria for a greatest of all time album even if true

new

hey don't forget Magma

pointless insult, pointless post

go back to Sup Forums

Not really krautrock but a good rec, especially their debut album

>>it's just proto-Godspeed crescendo-core shit
I bet you think long song = cresendo-core

>Faust
>crescendo-core
I can literally not think of a single album further from that description. Are you high? Do you even know what a crescendo is? Stop posting.