Is this the worst kind of guitar? I think so

Is this the worst kind of guitar? I think so.
>designed to play classical music but nobody in the classical music community gives a damn about it
>not present in the orchestra, it's too quiet
>no notable composers composed for it, only literal whos
>harder to learn than acoustic and electric guitar
>if you want to play some virtuoso stuff the way it was composed (not the stripped-down version) you get BTFO like this guy
youtube.com/watch?v=WbeAbllBpGo

So if you want to learn guitar and like popular music - pick up acoustic or electric
If you're REALLY into classical, pick up some essential classical music instrument like piano, violin or cello.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fFLPdxdvEXk
youtube.com/watch?v=7udClrQtmws
youtube.com/watch?v=26HLgXWF-Co
youtube.com/watch?v=eseUe93oAUg
youtube.com/watch?v=uSO-uZKrZus
youtube.com/watch?v=FUPx42UmSng
youtube.com/watch?v=YFenfpuI8-8
youtube.com/watch?v=UXjSMrb8z1o
youtube.com/watch?v=uZS4W_HHiQs
youtube.com/watch?v=3T9wRhq8SYw
youtube.com/watch?v=RSDu1LVLT8c
youtube.com/watch?v=310r2AOr0Lw
thisisclassicalguitar.com/bachs-lute-suites-clive-titmuss/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>>harder to learn than acoustic and electric guitar
this is my only real issue with it but it did help me with hand positioning and finger strength I think
>my first guitar

I learned on a cheap steel string because my parents were didn't think I would stick with it. I am kinda thankful because I probably would have just fucked around with feedback and distortion and never learned how to sound good. Most guitarists who learn on a nice electric can't get it to sing. I'm old school and in the minority now, but it used to be the conventional wisdom that you're supposed to learn on an acoustic

I took lessons for about a year. My guitar teacher eventually put an unwound G string on the acoustic which made it a lot easier to play leads. I got my first electric, a Yamaha Pacifica the next Christmas and spent the next decade fucking around with feedback and distortion

Dude didn't do too bad, all things considered. That said, you're completely right, OP.

It's a shame that no one writes for classical guitar because it has a gorgeous sound.

>designed to play classical music
who cares

>but nobody in the classical music community gives a damn about it
who cares

who cares

who cares

ok

>acoustic guitar harder to learn than acoustic guitar

>it used to be the conventional wisdom that you're supposed to learn on an acoustic
this is how it is supposed to be
I play bass and the arpeggios helped a lot with that

that's a classical guitar, not an acoustic

Classical guitar is a type of acoustic guitar

i think OP doesn't realize classical nylon string guitars are acoustics

i would say the difficulty is steel string > nylon string > electric simply because it's harder to fret on steel strings. nylon/classical guitars do have fat fucking necks and wide boards but I think virgin fingers would have less trouble with the wimpy, low tension strings than the manly, steel strings on a cowboy guitar

Yes, different guitars are shaped slightly differently. Compare the classical to a parlor and you'll find they're quite similar.

it has a real goat timbre though.
also who gives a shit about how it's been used in the past, what are you a retard or something?

nice image, are you implying that classical guitars are not acoustic? I guess they are electric guys, look he has an image

neck size is the biggest difference and that means it is held differently

Well yeah, he's a professional after all. And the people applauded him nicely, I think they knew he fought the lost cause and still remained to play it passable.

Those 8 stringed ones are really hard to play. The six-string classical is much better for beginners.

But yeah classical guitars in general are bit of a meme in that 99,9% builders continue to build them like they were made hundreds of years ago in the age of fanned frets and high precision tuners.

>>no notable composers composed for it, only literal whos
To you maybe, but not the rest of the classical guitar world. And since when is Bach a who?

Bach never wrote for the guitar, or indeed for the lute.

The "lute" suites of Bach were written for a Lute-Harpsichord - a harpsichord string with gut rather than metal which emulated the sound of a lute.

>designed to play classical music but nobody in the classical music community gives a damn about it
Nope, classical has always been more of a tavern instrument. The fact that 99% of the pre-XIX century classical guitar repertoire is just lute transcriptions is the proof of it.
Classical guitar became a dignified instrument with segovia in the earrly 20s thanks to Segovia, who was the first real classical guitar virtuoso. Without him we would still see it as a gipsy instrument.
It doesnt matter, since it has a big solo repertoire anyway.
That's because you're a philistine who knows only something like 5 classical composers (let me guess: Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Rachmaninoff)
Still easier than most instruments. Segovia famously said that you can max your technique in 6 years of daily 20 minutes practice sessions.

>>if you want to play some virtuoso stuff the way it was composed (not the stripped-down version) you get BTFO like this guy
A guitar duo can cover any Bach fugue or Beethoven sonata. I'll give you that a solo guitar will be extremely limited, and an orchestra of cg will be too slurry, but a duo/trio is enough to surpass the range established by piano. 2 good classical guitarists could play the Hammerklavier sonata.

>Bach

Skid Row isn't classical dipshit

You ingored it was notable composers. I know some literal whos just like you. Or could you name some guitar composers that are as high regarded as those you mentioned?

As a owner of all 3, you're completely correct.

Thing is, people generally string up acoustics with 12s. 12s are viewed as "light" or normal strings for acoustic, where 9s or 10s are on electric. 12s on an electric are viewed as "fucking arthritis" or "LOL I'm SRV", even if the tension is the same as an acoustic with 12s.

Not to mention the high action commonly found on acoustics.
Makes me curious as to how an acoustic would play with a set of 10s.

Out of his own manuscript, Suite in G minor.
There are also six more.
Most of those were transcribed by Segovia.

I use 11s on pic related (I actually swap out the high e for an 11.5) and wouldn't want any lighter.

Tried acoustic 10s for a day and all they did was rattle and buzz and didn't get the soundboard moving properly

>t. butthurt classical guitar player

Paganini, Weber, Tarrega, Boccherini, Diabelli, Bogdanovic, Villa-Lobos.
None of them are as highly regarded as Mozart (who is as highly regarded as him, at the end of the day?), but they're all staples in the classical repertoire.
Also notice that you can easily transcribe the entire lute repertoire on classical guitar, without altering im the slightest the aesthetic of the music.

South American folk music and Brazilian popular music (as well as jazz and pop music influenced by these genres) are where the nylon string guitar sounds best to me.

Remember that Igor Presnyakov is the best classical guitar player
Its a shame he has such a poor taste in his choice of covers

Why don't orchestras use acoustic steel strings? Are they still not loud enough? Is the sound just not desirable, even in this age of gimmick based compositions?

orchestras don't usually use any kind of guitar, classical guitars are mainly used as solo instruments

CGs are mainly solo instruments because of volume, the same as clavichord or lute. I haven't compared them in person but I've read acoustics are louder.

It's nigh impossible to get away with rescoring any existing repertoire.

If a new piece is being commissioned, the scoring is usually specified in the commission - a composer would have to fight to get a guitar in the piece especially if when there is a harpist on staff.

There are a couple of pieces with guitar or mandolin (not as soloist) in them but they are rare af.

I've played mandolin in Mahler 7 and Das Lied von der Erde and I don't think I'll see them again for at least another decade if ever

Oh, makes sense an orchestra would never commission anything that includes guitar since they don't have full time guitarists. Classical guitarists, as far as I know, haven't commissioned a concerto then played it on steel strings before.

They're still not loud enough (hell, they're not loud enough even for a duo with a flute). Also if you're going to use steel string you may as well use a pedal harpsichord, since you will be heard only if you play chords and arpeggios in transitions.

Judge for yourself:

youtube.com/watch?v=fFLPdxdvEXk
youtube.com/watch?v=7udClrQtmws
youtube.com/watch?v=26HLgXWF-Co
youtube.com/watch?v=eseUe93oAUg
youtube.com/watch?v=uSO-uZKrZus
youtube.com/watch?v=FUPx42UmSng
youtube.com/watch?v=YFenfpuI8-8

youtube.com/watch?v=UXjSMrb8z1o
youtube.com/watch?v=uZS4W_HHiQs
youtube.com/watch?v=3T9wRhq8SYw
youtube.com/watch?v=RSDu1LVLT8c
youtube.com/watch?v=310r2AOr0Lw

I'd like to see your source on this, in my eyes this is extremely unlikely. Bach's lute suite would have been way more extravagant if it was written for keyboard.

Not that user, but I've posted this recently on /classical/: thisisclassicalguitar.com/bachs-lute-suites-clive-titmuss/

What were you trying to prove? Classical guitar can sound beautiful, just like majority of intruments.

just get a concert guitar

OP asked whether it's the worst kind of guitar. I posted a few examples to help people decide if they agree with that opinion.

>you get BTFO like this guy

you will always get BTFO by somebody if you want to play any instrument, or do anything at all in life really

Do you know what acoustic means, you poor fool?
OP, don't forget about Carulli.

bump