Why do they pronounce his name "Professor Ex Avier" in the movies? Am I missing something...

Why do they pronounce his name "Professor Ex Avier" in the movies? Am I missing something? Why don't they just say Xavier like normal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zmNGxvMMtSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9aw9lxZjFHY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier_(given_name)
youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw
google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=professor etymology
google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ex etymology
translate.google.com.au/?espv=2&biw=1920&bih=995&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.123664746,d.dGY&ion=1&sns=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&client=tw-ob#auto/en/rabattre les bords de tôles pour les souder ou les riveter
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Zavier.

Isn't the name "Xavier" pronounced "Ex-zavier" or "Egg-zavier"?
Who the fuck just says "Zaiver"?

Because that's how it's pronounced.

Regional dialect.

Huh, I was just looking that guy up. I loved him in First Class.

I feel like I've seen him before X-Men but nothing in his filmography rings a bell.

Hahahahahaha

Ha-vee-ay

My nephew is named Xavier. We've always pronounced it Zaiver. Also knew some guys growing up named Xavier, always Zaiver.

Never heard it pronounced Ex-zavier outside of the movies

Ex Avier is the English language pronunciation.
As far as I know nobody says Zavier.

Wanted

Not even "The Last King of Scotland"? It was a very popular movie for a short time

Javier.

My cousin is named Xavier and we've always pronounced it Ex-Avier.

I like to call him 'fessor 'vier

or just za'

An as Englishman, no it isn't. Every one says zavier

Zavier in north america Exavier in england.

He's british. Note the accent.

It's like Hoxton in britain and Houston in North America.

>Never heard it pronounced Ex-zavier outside of the movies
The 90s cartoon did it to. Its seriously only there to justify the name of the team.

Ages ago there was an Xavier who was a forward for the UofM wolverines and i remember it was pronounced with the ex.

>My nephew is named Xavier. We've always pronounced it Zaiver.

>be american
>put name to kid
>have to pronounce it so distortedly it losses all root and meaning because of retarded phonetic rules

you cant make this shit up.

you could call them french fires too, and still be british.

Do you guys know what an x is? is this some kind of big joke I'm not aware of?

I'm not a native english speaker, that may have something to do with it.

Leto II in the children of dune miniseries. Literally the only worthwhile part of the whole thing.

Hes always had a good screen presence so he stands out even if the movie or role doesn't.

youtube.com/watch?v=zmNGxvMMtSQ

Also Zavier isn't the same as Xavier.

It's objectively pronounced "Zavier", unless the name-ee wants it pronounced otherwise. And unless you're a pardner/thoroughly monged.

It sounds like we're listening to one half of an argument here.

>The given name Xavier (/ˈzeJvi.ər/, /ˈseJvi.ər/; Catalan: [ʃəβiˈe, ʃəviˈe, ʃaβiˈe, ʃaviˈeɾ]; Galician: [ʃɐviˈɛɾ]; Portuguese: [ʃɐviˈɛɾ]; French: [ɡzavje]; Spanish: Javier [xaˈβjer]; Basque: Xabier [ʃaβiˈer])[1][2] is a masculine name derived from the Catholic Saint called Francis Xavier.
X-fags BTFO

I think the queen actually comes and kicks brits in the dick if they dont refer to things in their goofy vernacular. French fries are chips, and chips are crisps.

My friend in school was english and we always argued over this shit. Muh petrol in my lorry in the car park by my flat.

His real name is "Xavier" pronounced Zavier.
His mutant name is "Professor X".
These two often get portmanteaued into "Professor X-avier".
It's not a big deal.
You can stop hyperventilating now.

Did you tell him that Brits are called faggots. They call them puffs in Britain.

It zavier like what everyone has been saying. It's become ex-saviour because he's the leader of the X-men and they really want to push 'X' into everything because it's a retarded comic book story.

This means that all Brits are puffs by their own standard.

Yes, we were both smokers so there was the endless debate about the definition of the word "fag."

It's a regional accent thing! Grew up in Northwest PA and most people say Ex-zavier there

And the shittiest promo poster ever award goes to......

Xavier is pronounced 'Havier' retards, is this a post-post-post ironic troll thread

I've only ever heard it pronounced that way in New York, Atlanta, Phoenix, Denver and Los Angeles.

Maybe it's an American thing

It's pronounced like this: youtube.com/watch?v=9aw9lxZjFHY
but replacing the J with a "sh" as in " show" or "shine"
source: the name originates in my region

Javier is not Xavier you dumbfuck, just like Jesus is not "Hayzoos"

did you read my post?
the name originates in my region
it is pronounced exactly like Javier but replacing the first letter with a "sh" sound

It's a fucking name, the pronunciation is arbitrary. Even more so then language itself.

X-Men First Class!

No it doesn't you idiotic spic. Go watch shitty Simpsons dubs you bean-frying mulatto.

he was in Band of Brothers for half an episode
then half his face was blown off

it does
the only reason the name Xavier is relatively known is St. Francis of Xavier, who founded the Jesuite order
He was from my region, and his name was pronounced shaviér, and actually Javier is just the latinization of Xavier

the name jesus is hebrew so we probably all mispronounce it in a way

That's how we ameriturds pronounce it.

>someone was paid for that

It's not Hebrew, it's Basque. It comes from a toponimic name.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier_(given_name)

why don't you read my fucking post before you reply

>and if that one doesn't blow your mind (lol get it?) then check this one out, it's got a real MAGNETIC charm to it, eh eh?!

Fuck that faggot who told him off for wearing the D-Day badge thingy. He was such a pussy and piece of shit the entire series.

>superhero names aren't pronounced like real life names

The letter X is pronounced both "Z" and "ks", depending on placement. Not an "ex" sound, which is why to make the "ex" sound you have to have an E before the X. "ex" sounds like "eks" The name of the letter is pronounced "ex" though, but that has nothing to do with this.

The proper way to pronounce it is "Zavier".

It is the same for "Xerxes" which is pronounced "Zerkses" where the X is shown with both types of pronunciation.

I take it you're not an English speaker?

xavier is not an english name so it shouldn't follow english pronounciation rules

Could someone explain quicksilver to me?

How the fuck fast can he be? how do people not die when he kicks them so fast that they move faster than an explosion?

In DofP, quicksilver braced magneto's neck before moving him, to keep him from snapping it. But in this movie, while moving faster than a fucking explosion, he dances with people, picks them up and carries them, etc. All while offering no protection. These people should turn to puddles of goo in his hands.

Most names are not English but pronounced with English. Eamples: John, Mark, Jamie, Jesus, Adam and so on.

It only matters when you are actually using another language. Like Jesus in Spanish is "haysoos"

FILTH

Not him but maybe I can clear this up for you in a simpler way:
The X makes the sound of H and is interchangeable with J

Hence the proper pronunciation of the profs name: Javier. Javier = Xavier and vise versa. There's really no difference, it's literally the same thing.

those names have been adapted to english because they were in the bible and when latin stopped being the liturgical language they had to adapt them to english and started mispronouncing them
xavier is not a biblical name and doesn't really have a tradition in the anglosphere so it should be pronounced either as Javier(spanish version) or Shavier(basque version)

In American is prnounced - Eksavier
In Spanish is pronounced - Shavier or Zavier
In Mexican is pronounced - Havier

That's why so many people get confused, but Eksavier is the correct pronuntiation.

It isn't because we don't speak Spanish or Basque languages. That is the main point. The pronunciation is determined by what language you are using not where the name came from.

>The X makes the sound of H and is interchangeable with J
that did happen in spanish but it changed like 200 years ago
in basque, which is the original language of the name, X is pronounced "sh" as in shine or shower

>In American is prnounced - Eksavier

Nope, see There are a lot of Americans who mispronounce it and many other things though. What you are seeing is merely ignorance and regional dialect. In the deep south you get shit like that all the time. It is infuriating trying to talk to an American southerner in plain English when they can't correctly pronounce half the words coming out of their mouths.

no it isn't
you either pronounce it well or you don't

It is, sorry to wreck your day, kid.

>In Spanish is pronounced - Shavier or Zavier
>In Mexican is pronounced - Havier
no
Mexican and Spanish are the same language and it is pronounced Havier (Javier) in both
It is pronounced Shavier in Basque and it is pronounced Zavier in no language

He's named after a catholic saint St Francis Xavier. Which is pronounced Haviar. But the comics obviously pronounce the X since he's professor X.

do you call jean luc godard "jeen luck go-durd" too?

>it is pronounced Zavier in no language
See
Americans pronounce it Zavier

I don't think they were asking for how it sounds in Arabic

Is there any actor who wasn't in Band of Brothers?

this

yeah, wrongly
I am talking about the actual languages where that name has a tradition

Dumb name spelling time?
I know a girl who named her kid "Jaydon"
....this reads as "Jay-Dawn" to me personally.
Why not just "Jadon", or "Jayden"?

Because they're either niggers or a coal burner whore

Not really a dumb name spelling but a friend of mine named her kid Ashur because she thought that was Ash's name from Evil Dead, not realizing it's Ashley.

lolspartacus

This thread

youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

That name was around before that change so it keeps it's phonetic property by seniority. Your last name for instance, lets say everyone knows and is accustomed to hearing it pronounced a certain way, common knowledge. If a decree swaps around the way people pronounce a vowel, tradition dictates your name would keep it's 'vernacular'. Later on people may update it but the name remains safe, it's cemented into it's own quirky place in whatever vocab you use

Killurself

yeah you are totally right, but the X-H(J) equivalence doesn't apply to Spanish as it is spoken today so
>The X makes the sound of H and is interchangeable with J
should be
>At the time when St. Francis of Xavier lived, the X made the sound of H and was interchangeable with J

Actually, "Professor Ex Avier" comes from an archaic blend of German and Latin origins.
From "professor" meaning "one who declares publicly"
"ex" meaning "out of"
and Avier "meaning "to fold metal"

So "Professor Ex Avier" actually translates literally to "One who publicly declares out of folding metal", or "One who denounces those who fold metal".
His name reveals his motivations and running antagonism with his archnemesis, Magneto (he who manipulates metal).

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby truly were artistic visionaries, and their work even today continues to yield astounding intellectual gems.

Sources:
google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=professor etymology

google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ex etymology

translate.google.com.au/?espv=2&biw=1920&bih=995&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.123664746,d.dGY&ion=1&sns=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&client=tw-ob#auto/en/rabattre les bords de tôles pour les souder ou les riveter

Americans say it with a Z sound, and everyone else pronounces the X. It's just one of those things.
A quick Google tells me that it originally came from the word "Etxeberria", which makes sense - that would be where the E sound comes from at the beginning of the name.

Splitting hairs here but yeah, I agree

Now lets gtfo of this capeshit and let Javi be. I'm getting tired of watching these burgers butcher his name

this but also just because they wanted "x" in his name

Because Charles Zavier doesn't have the same ring to it

That's fantastic.

kek

>635
>636
>same time to the second

Objectively speaking, it's pronounced Zavier. You'd have to a complete Ameritard to fuck that up.

I was always under the impression that it was pronounced Zavier as a first name and Exavier as a surname.
Is that incorrect?

I bet you pronounce X-Men Zamen too.

check out Atonement literally the only good film from the cuck Joe Wright

This is pretty funny

>Objectively speaking, it's pronounced Zavier. You'd have to a complete Ameritard to fuck that up.
>You'd have to a complete Ameritard to fuck that up.
>You'd have to a complete Ameritard
>have to a complete Ameritard
You're an idiot, it is pronounced with its own name. Eks-ay-vee-ah.

And I'm not an American.

See , that's correct.