/prod/ - Music Production General

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q (embed)

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go torizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client herehexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloudlink is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Previous thread: →

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/ujpibpyk
clyp.it/alz222w
clyp.it/54srv5ev
clyp.it/41gltxj4
clyp.it/g3a44fel
clyp.it/lbjvrwtr
clyp.it/b50bts0c
youtube.com/watch?v=qAeybdD5UoQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1m26s
clyp.it/kta2em32
clyp.it/jltbis4h
clyp.it/12sbbbzq
clyp.it/z4jwcrpf
clyp.it/ogdtl4vf
clyp.it/x4cjej4w
clyp.it/fo2o2kfa
clyp.it/fo524caa
youtube.com/watch?v=dBtsw8sRwbs
soundcloud.com/jormangod/jorman-god-0000
youtu.be/mxcDzr0PsoE?t=2m1s
clyp.it/z5vsxv02
clyp.it/lf1do2zb
clyp.it/zgah13d3
clyp.it/ascwiu13
soundcloud.com/jormangod/jorman-god-strngs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is this danceable enough? What do you think about it composition wise?

clyp.it/ujpibpyk

Returning feedback.

the percussion samples all sound kinda broken, as in really low bitrate, fix that
the conga rhythm is a bit wonky in terms of rhythmic precision
do be dancable it's really missing some sort of snare or whatever marking the backbeat when the double time claps aren't there, so it keeps the drive
all in all it totally lacks space and general fx and sound design
and then it just ends, so I can't really comment more on the general composition and arrangement since it's obviously not done

>the percussion samples all sound kinda broken, as in really low bitrate, fix that
I did that on purpose.
>the conga rhythm is a bit wonky in terms of rhythmic precision
True.
>do be dancable it's really missing some sort of snare or whatever marking the backbeat when the double time claps aren't there, so it keeps the drive
I'll try that.
>all in all it totally lacks space
True.
>and general fx and sound design
Do I have to use fx?
>and then it just ends, so I can't really comment more on the general composition and arrangement since it's obviously not done
It's done.

have you guys considered merging /prod/ and /comp/ into a single "music-making" or artists'/musicians' general?

because both threads by themselves falter and die every time. maybe if you combined then you could have something worthwhile that lasts.

>Do I have to use fx?
totally not
I connected danceable with dancefloor compatible there for a moment

clyp.it/alz222w how is this?

Hello /prod/
First time posting a jam of mine on here
Where is a good resource for learning about mastering and good song recording?
I've gotten my setup to rwhere I can perform on my pocket operators and have them all time synced with individual volume sliding
I just need to learn how to make my sound a little cleaner. I dont like the click noises in the beginning 45 seconds.
Any tips?

clyp.it/54srv5ev

clyp.it/41gltxj4

clyp.it/g3a44fel

clyp.it/lbjvrwtr

clyp.it/b50bts0c

some hip hop some edm

tell me what u think

need feedback on them

Oh yeah this is me jbenitex aka jorman god kek

youtube.com/watch?v=qAeybdD5UoQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1m26s

>1:25 - 1:31

Literally impossible to transcribe note by note. I want to kill myself so bad right now. 11 years of professional music education and I still suck at recognizing chords. Can anybody help?

General tips for getting a tight mix?

Pink noise?

know how compression works

Very nice sounds, I especially like the very warm bass. I don't really get what you mean about the click noises, are they not output from the synth? You might be clipping, so try to turn down the volume of the operator.

> clyp.it/kta2em32
Would love some feedback on the mixing on this, and whether the progression is exciting enough

The bassline has a weird rhythym, it's fine later but in the first 10 seconds it's really hard to get into
The melody that comes in at 0:41 has notes that feel a little rushed/off rhythm. Did you record that part live? Similar comment for the part at 1:41.
For the parts that come in at 1:11 and 1:21, it feels like the notes cut out too soon. Maybe let the former ring out longer, and give some polyphony to the latter?

Great track by the way. You did well mixing up the parts, and it was very danceable.

rate my tracks u pleb bitch niggas

First was interesting
Second was just silence for me
Third and forth sounded ok but a little boring
Fourth would be better at a faster tempo i think

sounds really dry and artificial but I think that's what you're going for

also the progression doesn't really "progress"... just feels like you started randomly transposing the sequence

just joking Sup Forums
ty man for feedback

the claps come in at a way too hot level and they sound totally isolated, give them some space
the overall tune sounds a bit weird because it's missing a bassline
also maybe add a pumping soft and really wide pad so it's not mono most of the time, that way the stereo delay stuff on the claps wouldn't be so distracting when it happens

Thanks for the feedback. In a way, yes, it's supposed to sound artificial, but on the other hand I feel like I often have the problem of my songs sounding a bit sterile. What's the fix for this, better sound design?

R8 my gear
Sorry for shit quality + sideways

Has anyone else messed around with teenage engineering's pocket operators?

I have the first 3 paired with the arturia retro synth pack on ableton all routed through a Roland VS840EX

Im seriously impressed with how easily you can riff on these things. They are alot more actually "playable" that alot of other synths I've used
no problem man
that first one sounds like you could make it absolutely massive sounding

its hard for me to finish tracks like that cause I run out of ideas u know?

>What's the fix for this, better sound design?
well, the artificial vibe is basically a result of lacking natural harmonics and reverberation produced by physical instruments

so you can work on the timbre of your synths and give them a little bit more harmonics or overtones, or you can go the lazy route and just add a pinch of reverb

Thanks man, I've been writing and mixing most of the song on headphones so there's a very real possibility that the stereo imaging is completely fucked up.

I will try to ease the claps back in or maybe add another percussive element because these very "pure" 909 claps sound bad when they're not in the front of the mix imo

>clyp.it/kta2em32
I think the keys/harpsichord you have in the beginning is too bright too early
Needs some kind of fade in to blend into the beginning
The build in complexity is pretty cool and I found myself bobbing along to this track.
I kept wishing for some kind of screaming lead or something laden with overdrive to come in.

I like the drums quite a bit.
What do you use for equipment?

>clyp.it/41gltxj4
How did you do that vocal sounding sample in front of the drums?
I really like that wispy sound and want to recreate it

Thanks! For this one I just used 808/909 samples from an old Akai sample disk

This is the biggest torture I ever went through. I'm fucking deaf.

ima take a screenie one sec finding live set

ehh nothing special really
the vocal sample is like inside the waveform of the synthesizer sound

/comp/ are a bunch of stuck up assholes, f those guys

>The bassline has a weird rhythym, it's fine later but in the first 10 seconds it's really hard to get into
I completely agree, it's really weird, I'm trying to figure how why.
>The melody that comes in at 0:41 has notes that feel a little rushed/off rhythm. Did you record that part live? Similar comment for the part at 1:41.
Yes, I'm glad you noticed it, I could've quantized it but I ended up leaving it as it is cause I thought it worked, I'll revise that.
>For the parts that come in at 1:11 and 1:21, it feels like the notes cut out too soon. Maybe let the former ring out longer, and give some polyphony to the latter?
You are right, I'll tweak the release on that synth.
>Great track by the way. You did well mixing up the parts, and it was very danceable.
Thanks man, I'm a bit surprised about this, I might be getting used to this headphones (I know) after all.

Did you post a clyp?

Any tip when mixing bass, kick and sub?

>the notes feel a little rushed/off rhythm

I have question. Is this something that is expected to happen? I'm not really rhythmically that challenged, I play fingerstyle guitar, been in bands and do session work, but when I'm playing to songs that have metronomical accuracy, I tend to sometime to this kind of stuff. Maybe it's just that I haven't played that much with a metronome?

Like, I wonder if this kind of stuff ever happens to Trent Reznor, say.

transients
timing
also pultec

If you want a sub, hi-pass the kick above he sub so they don't clash

depends on how low that kick is tuned, if you just filter the fundamentals out then it will sound like ass

In order of frequency of the fundamental note, from lowest to highest:
Sub-bass-kick.
How should I proceed?

needs an example, m8
there is no universal solution to this and mixing in general

clyp.it/jltbis4h
Really muddy.

Hm, yes, but if you have a kick that deep maybe you don't need the sub, right?

It's tricky not knowing the rest of the spectra, but make sure that the harmonics don't clash, you might like to try side chaining the bass / sub vs the kick if you have sustained bass notes

I think the subbass has too pronounced overtones (only if it's alone though, as soon as the mix is full enough they blend in and help) and the bassline sounds too attacky, it almost tries to simulate a kick, which is why there's barely space for the real kick anymore
I've heard worse, though
kick could be a tad louder in the loud parts and needs more snap, try a transient designer

This is really helpful, I'll try taming that bass. About the sub/bass interaction, do you think it's ok if they sit in the same frequency? I remember I used to hi cut the sub and low cut the bass around 80 hz to avoid phasing issues.

I'm bored anyone wanna make a song w me
This is the last thing I made
clyp.it/12sbbbzq

this is actually kinda neat
beautiful lead

Maybe I should learn how to use my DAW before I start figuring out how to make music.
Are my Frasier headphones coloring the sound of this?
clyp.it/z4jwcrpf

clyp.it/ogdtl4vf

A loop I've been working on. Thoughts?

How to create such a cool vocal?
There is definitely more to it than just pitch-correction, maybe not at all.
clyp.it/x4cjej4w

I like the synths but the drums are too trappy for my liking. production is good tho

crazy synths

working on this currently, what do you guys think

clyp.it/fo2o2kfa

how do i get good with fl studio?

general tips would be nicee ee

Image-Line has AMAZING manuals on their websites for FL and all the synths and plugins, read them all and then you'll know everything about FL and a whole lot about production as well.

Just bought a JD-Xi last weekend. It's fun as shit. Anyone else have one? What other gear do you use with it, any recs??

>clyp.it/fo2o2kfa
It's not really my thing but it's very well produced, the sweeps up and down are really nice, sounds very French

thanks a lot, appreciate it.

>gets his shitty music criticized once

guitar sounds a bit off.
i think it's a combination of things:
a. the reverb is a little off
b. it sounds a bit warm for the context. this can be down to how it was strummed, the pick ups used, DI box instead of mic'd amp maybe? regardless, i would roll off on the low-mids a bit more and try and push the transients on the pick-string contact up a bit (if they exist. o'wise create them and layer in).

matter of taste tho. i usually don't knock against warmth but imo doesn't sit well with the rest of it.

clyp.it/fo524caa how's this? I can't decide what to do with the second half

>10 years old

youtube.com/watch?v=dBtsw8sRwbs

What's the point of continuing with life? Suicide is the best answer. Mfw we're literally monkeys compared to these people.

the chord flourishes with the soft-attack on them during the first verse are too loud in the mix.

also, this isn't criticism more an actual question for you and but people are still using white noise risers in your scenes?

I'm actually delaying the guitar on purpose, not doubling the main synth thing but forming a phrase with it, didn't mean for it to even be that forward in the mixor anything, just part of the whole puzzle but thanks for your advice man, I'll look into it, especially if I decide to give the guitar more phrases to play.

the idea you're going for is very nice but it's not executed that well, it sounds very flat and passive, it's a combination of things.

this sounds like Bartok

I guess, it's more of a utility thing than anything really.

there's that snobby attitude that /comp/ knows so well

here's the truth : I've never posted my music in a /comp/ thread

i wasn't taking about the guitar componsitionally or ne thing. just how it sits in the mix. it's fine compositionally.

oh alright

/prod/ I'm going away for college soon and I need a laptop. What are some good laptops for music production under 1000?

thinkpad t430 running gentoo

soundcloud.com/jormangod/jorman-god-0000

here's my newest track

need feedback

is it possible to make realistic midi strings like in link related?
youtu.be/mxcDzr0PsoE?t=2m1s
I'm working in ableton but I'm open to trying other software

vsl
east west
spitfire

try these

looking to improve this production, it's still incomplete but the foundation is set
any tips on mixing, chord structure, bass or whatever would be cool

clyp.it/z5vsxv02

it's not bad production wise but arrangement wise it's kinda all over the place, lacking direction

also try LASS, it's also pretty important that you get your chords right. fuck, I forgot how great Hamauzu's polychords and progressions are

I like the atmosphere a lot but I think mix wise it's too muddy, can't hear a lot of high end, also it gets a bit repetitive

I love my T520 compared to my T500 I had. They're both bricks, so if you are willing to spend the extra money, get a 15" MBP from 2011 and look up how to install Gentoo on it.

all right, I still haven't eqd the pad or the atmosphere or the bass. will do though. thanks

clyp.it/lf1do2zb

ok been workin too much on this

it's better, my main issue with this is that it's way too quiet, bring it up a bit

Is there anything else I can do to this simple ass beat?

clyp.it/zgah13d3

Can anyone recommend some indepth books/ebooks for processors/fx usage like Creative Effects: The Definitive Guide For Producers

im on a reading spree right now

you'll learn senpai, you'll learn

headphone suggestions? budget ~150

k612

I have started making field recording/ambient mixes with.. Well, field recordings and samples from audio loops, usually acoustic guitar, vocals etc.

What free software can I use besides Audacity? Pretty impressed with the mileage I get from working with audacity by itself. Not sure what to use for making beats and layering up my recordings to sound nice and creamy/reverby/bassy + atmospheric.

If I sound like a complete novice it is because I mostly am. Just asking for some software recommendations and maybe ideas/advice for making this kind of music?

Sounds like boards of canada, the books, grouper, and maybe some light witch house are mostly what I am working worth.

Ardour and LMMS are both superb open-source projects.

Put the attack up on the bass and this will make room for your kick. Or get LFO tool and do pic related to your bass.

Add punch to your kick with a a quick high to low pitch drop

this. sidechaining and ducking are extremely useful techniques.

0/10 because you can't rotate a damn image and you look like a fucking slob. Apply yourself.

Can I get some opinions and/or tips on this instrumental I made?

clyp.it/ascwiu13

I'm trying to get in to music production a bit more, so some feedback would be great.

everything sounds cheap as fuck
also everything clashes harmonically

Hmm. I enjoyed listening to it, but I guess it's shit to others.

Should I give up on music production then?

if you enjoy doing it why should you
all that shit can be learned

keep going senpai

we all had to start somewhere. keep going fampai

soundcloud.com/jormangod/jorman-god-strngs

here are my strings
tell me what u think

>install ardour
>no audio
i can't figure it out. does it not work with bluetooth headphones or something?

is it recognizing your driver in the audio settings? why are you using BT headphones anyways?

eh

years of frustration with wires made me switch to bluetooth. after further reading, it seems like it might be a driver issue.