Zack Snyder and conveying information through images

A good example of this are the dream/nightmare sequences in Batman v Superman. In the opening sequence where Bruce falls into the bat cave, one of the pearls from his mother's necklace falls with him. In a later nightmare sequence, we see Bruce walking into his parent's crypt, with an image of Saint Michael slaying Lucifer hanging about him. Saint Michael is wearing red and blue, and is fixed into a pose that looks pretty similar to the Superman statue in the film. As he walks towards his parents caskets, his father's name on his casket is obscured, while his mother's name is displayed prominently. We then see blood seeping out of his mother's grave, and the bat-demon shoots out it. He then wakes up. I think these images do quite a good job showing how haunted he is specifically by his mother's death, how he became Batman specifically to deal with the trauma of his mother's death, however it has simply reinforced greater degrees of paranoia and obsession in him (foreshadowing the much maligned 'Martha' resolution).

To give another example, in Man of Steel, we see Clark save workers on an oil rig, which then blows up, and he gets knocked into the ocean. We then see him underwater with his eyes closed. Then, it cuts to a scene where he is a child in school and his powers start developing. He is overwhelmed, and runs to hide in a school closet. The school calls his mother, who comes and talks to him from outside the closest, and gives him advice on how to control his powers. He then walks out and hugs her. Then we cut back to Clark underwater, however this time we see two whales swimming above him: A mother whale leading her child. This cut doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a narrative perspective, but in terms of reinforcing the theme of the mother teaching and leading her child, I thought it gave some pretty beautiful imagery.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7p5-14rjWUM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>it's another Hack Snyder isn't braindead meme thread
Kill yourself.

I appreciate Zack Snyder et al wanted to make a deep, philosophical movie, but I seriously think turning Batman vs Superman into a Greek tragedy was the wrong approach.

I honestly believe it should have been a pure, fun, campy, lighthearted romp like the Schumacher Batman movies.

Zack Snyder is a visionary without a proper movie backbone.
He needs to watch more classics, read more on EDITING and PACING and only then he'll be a decent director.

He still is pretty shit though.

>Conveying information through images
So he's finally grasped the basic concept of a movie?

Most movies give much of their exposition through dialogue and action, not images, you dumb pleb.

True kino

oh man that reminds me how the oil rig scene was so shitty

Watching Watchmen with my fundamentalist christian parents was a mistake.

What did they think of Man of Steel?

That whale comparison is literally one of the best bits

too bad the rest is dogshit

The main theme of Snyder's "Batman v Superman" on spiritual dematerialism is not eschatological, but a phenomenological ontology. Thus he implies that we have to choose between predialectic construction and deconstructivist neodialectic theory, essentially Heideggerian as seen in the concept of Dasein. The subject is interpolated then into a cinematic dematerialism that includes spirituality as a whole. But if the Kierkegaardian worldview holds, we have to choose between the cultural paradigm of expression and atomism. In Snyder's own "Man of Steel" he has a character say that "the world's too big”. Inherent in this is how the function of Lebenswelt (cinematically translated by Snyder as "world of life") operates in all his films, chiefly in "Sucker Punch" and "300". We see a phenomenological approach to the world showing a cinematic logic that presupposes a structural constraint in rootedness, another intentionality central to his filmography and philosophy. Because "metaphysical comfort" is not an object of temporality per se, but rather an aspect of automatic condition, as suggested by Cavell. Hermeneutic interpretations are also apparent in his post-"Watchmen" movies; in fact the interchangeable subjectivities are but another representation of Husserl's and Wittgenstein's "form of life". As his academic hero Heidegger succintly noted, "freedom is the ‘abyss’ of Dasein, its groundless or absent ground". This is essentially the thesis operating in Snyder's films.

You are beginning to understand, my friend. Others shall follow you in their path to awakening.

“Art is intrinsically meaningless,” says Ben Affleck. The primary theme of BvS' analysis of Sontagist camp is a mythopoetical totality. The characteristic theme of the works of Snyder is the common ground between society and language. But the premise of dialectic superheroism holds that the establishment is capable of social comment. The subject is interpolated into a social realism that includes narrativity as a whole.

“Society is unattainable,” says Kal-El. It could be said that Luthor uses the term ‘neomaterial desituationism’ to denote not sublimation, but presublimation. If social realism holds, the works of Snyder are an example
of purposeful superhero movies, also known as "capekino."

In a sense, Marveldrones promote the use of postdeconstructive objectivism to attack capekino. The subject is contextualised into a neomaterial desituationism that includes reality as a reality.

But dialectic superheroism suggests that culture serves to entrench outmoded, elitist perceptions of capeshit. Terrio uses the term ‘neomaterial desituationism’ to denote a self-supporting totality.

what a compelling, educated argument, thanks for sharing

27 percent

hating snyder is groupthink
even if he's hasn't done a good job of conveying what he wants how he wants, he doesn't deserve the response people give him

we all know most of things people say about his movies are not criticisms, people point and say this is bad but rarely are able to articulate why

people complain about the dreams and surreality of BvS, but those things were what interested me more than anything

The entire film operates as a visual allegory of birth. You won't find this type of discussion on RT.

youtube.com/watch?v=7p5-14rjWUM

I don't think they've seen it, and I've certainly never watched it with them. From what I remember I liked it.

I bet you like the films of Zack Snyder

He's the best capeshit director in Hollywood, by far.