Washington Nationals @ Colorado Rockies Gamethread

Trea edition

Nats fan checking in
>screech.jpeg

I gotchu fampai

Cool. I'm on my iPad and can't be bothered to find a pic. Thanx for picking up my slack.

My body is ready for dingers.

Max pitching

Oh, you'll get dingers alright.

>All this thunder

3spooky5me

Why should I choose the Nats as my team to root for this season?

I'm an Angels fan and I root for the Reds in the NL. I don't want the Cubs to win this year and you guys have the best chance to stop them.

Give me more reasons.

Storms missed us. Got whomped last though.

Fun team to watch. Good pitching. Good base running. Streaky hitters though. Mad Max is a monster.

Do what you want, West Indian user

We're winning this year so that's one reason

Also we're the capital, so that something

Our fans aren't retarded like the jints Mest. Cusb. Doyers.

Werth on base streak now 43 consecutive games.
>nice

Is it me or can the Rockies be a real danger to take the NL West in 2016?

With a full season from Story and if they keep Blakmon and CarGo they have one of the best offensive lineups in baseball. They now just have to get a good bullpen, not even a good rotation.

Their starters could have a collective ERA of low 4s and they would be a very dangerous team.

Lazy fly ball. 365 feet.

It's possible. I think the Giants are on the decline and LA is snakebite.

The issue for the Rox is how do you build a team with a meme ballpark? Do you build for home games with fly ball power hitters, mashers who can't play in the field and sinker ball pitchers? Or do go for a 'normal' team with balance? Fenway kept the Red Sox from winning a World Series for 86 years.

Forget about pitching. Not even a Cy Young caliber pitcher will have success there.

Make a fully oriented offensive team and hope for the best. We are living a surge in power in the last couple of years, soon 25+ home run hitters will be available for cheap. With the homegrown talent they're finally graduating to the majors they will have a good base. Now it is time to spend in more offensive players.

We're talking about a franchise who got to the World Series in '07 with Jeff Francis as its ace and Josh Fogg in the rotation.

>Mad Max is a monster
>3 runs allowed in the first

The Rockies starting pitching has actually been really good for the last month and a half (minus a few fuckups in the last couple weeks) though. I've been a fan since their inaugural season and this is by far the best starting rotation I've ever seen in Colorado. They're almost all relatively young, plus there's a few high quality prospects still in the minors too. They're clearly on the right track in that area, and if the bullpen hadn't completely fucked up the last two weeks, they'd be no more than a game or two out of a wild card spot.

Next year looks pretty promising if Cargo and Nolan stay healthy, Story and Dahl keep improving, and they can upgrade at catcher and get a couple more big arms in the bullpen.

Also, I just want to point out that David Dahl has been insanely good for a 22 year old rookie in his first month in the majors. Story was a really nice surprise, but Dahl has just been fucking ridiculous.

You can't forget about starting pitching though. It's such an integral part of the game.

Holy shit. We was robbed.

How would you fix Gray?

Yeah poor wording on my part. Maybe not forget about it but don't heavily invest on it. Fill it with innings eaters and a strong veteran presence for when Hoffman and Marquez arrive. Colorado could do good with Yovani Gallardos.

Well there's the issue. How can they expect to win on the road with a team that's geared only for their meme park?

With a very strong offensive? You have to play .500 on the road if your win at your ballpark.

Gray doesn't need to be fixed, he just needs more experience. His last two starts were rough, but he was consistently outstanding before that. When he's on, he very clearly has legitimate ace quality stuff. He's also not afraid of Coors like a lot of the other young pitcher they've homegrown. Gray is looking like Colorado's ace for the foreseeable future.

This season has been different from most Rockies seasons because they've actually been a solid road team. In the past, they'd get by on just blowing teams out at home while getting crushed on the road because they can't pitch. This year, they've won in a number of ways, like a real baseball team does. July was seriously the best month of Rockies baseball I can remember since >Rocktober, it's just a shame they got killed with injuries and the bullpen decided to collectively shit the bed as soon as August rolled around. I think Rockies fans have a few good reasons to be optimistic for next year.

What kind of relievers usually are successful in Coors?

WERTH!!!

FWAAAAAAAAAH

>implying any relievers have ever been successful in Coors

It's hard to say. This year they experimented by loading the bullpen with guys that just throw really hard, which makes sense because the breaking balls don't move as much in the altitude. Guys get tired towards the end of games, might as well just try and blow fastballs by 'em. Seems like a good idea in theory, but it hasn't worked out. Not sure if that's because the vets they signed just suck, or if the ideology has failed.

Fair or not, I put a lot of the bullpen struggles on Jake McGee. Him sucking dick this year kinda forced everyone else in the pen to move into a role they weren't ready for.

Props for the Corpas pic btw. I used to love him.

Finally got the lead.