Gareth Edwards General

>toiled away for years doing effects for shitty bbc shows and dreaming of some day getting to direct films
>made a "monster" film called monster for 500k
>immediately hired to direct godzilla for 200 million dollars
>film is decently successful with audiences and critics alike
>hired to direct star wars rogue one
>hired to direct godzilla 2
>???
>drops out of godzilla 2
>rogue one is 2edgy4u
>gets fired by disney

What's next for his career?

Other urls found in this thread:

screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-one-reshoots-details-mcquarrie/
slashfilm.com/rogue-one-reshoots-details/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is he Josh Trank 2.0?

>gets fired by disney

Since when?

Since never.

A haircut.

I feel bad for him.

fuck disney so much

he said they resisted the urge to include something like a mothra egg and just tell a single contained story, but WB wants a cinematic universe

>"You watch those classic monster movies, you watch Jaws, Alien, and what do you see? The actual creature appears just a little bit. Why waste it? why not save it for the important part? it's almost like a rule: the less a monster appears on your movie, the better it becomes. We don't want to make a Dogshark vs Crocoptopus flick. We are making a film" -Gareth Edwards

According to Making Star Wars (a definitive source for updates concerning the modern films), the Rogue One crew estimates that they are reshooting roughly 40 percent of the movie. They will be working six days a week for a period of eight weeks, and 32 sets have been built for this phase of the production. It was always expected there would be reshoots, it’s just that they now might be more substantial than originally thought.

The primary reasoning for this boils down to the most recent draft of the Rogue One screenplay, which came from Oscar winning scribe Christopher McQuarrie. Apparently, McQuarrie’s take on the script wasn’t finished during principal photography. Director Gareth Edwards had already filmed most of the movie, and whatever revisions came through led to the final product feeling uneven. Making Star Wars says that McQuarrie’s work is considered a marked improvement from what Edwards was working with originally. McQuarrie will be with Edwards during the reshoots to ensure that the two remain “on the same page” regarding this latest version of Rogue One.

screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-one-reshoots-details-mcquarrie/

Doubt it. He doesn't have a Twitter to further embarrass himself with.
And The Trank Tank was a special. He made one decent movie and then followed it up with a beautiful massacre of a movie which descended into amazing b-movie territory.
Gareth made a great debut, followed it up with a decent remake and then is probably going to be fine with Rouge One. SW will accept anything and say it's a masterpiece.

I don't see how it's Edwards fault for filming a shitty script, he didn't write it I'm assuming. Usually directors are handed a script and they have to approve it.

Godzilla was a reboot, not a remake

t. knower

Godzilla was good

At this point I don't know if it's a good thing that he won't direct Godzilla 2

Ah, same shit.

It was still alright.

>Quips! We need more quips!

"Monsters" is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Anything he creates following that movie that is even slightly watchable will be the result of someone else's talent.

>it's almost like a rule: the less a monster appears on your movie, the better it becomes.

That's not a rule, that's the way filmmakers of yore hid their poor special effects. It wasn't done for effectiveness, it was done for budgetary reasons and a lack of faith in puppets/models.

Also, Godzilla is not the "monster". He's the protagonist, essentially. He saves the day. We don't need him lurking in shadow and doing shit offscreen the entire movie because this isn't a fucking horror film. It also lessens the impact if everything surrounding the reveal of the monster is absolute drivel.

>Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah are set to appear alongside Godzilla in this sequel, which will mark the first time they have appeared in a non-Japanese film.
>Godzilla 2 is expected to set up the confrontation he will have with King Kong in the upcoming Kong vs Godzilla movie in 2020.
>Max Borenstein said in an interview that the sequel will be "bigger and better" than the last film
>At the recent Comic Con 2015 Panel, it was confirmed that Godzilla will appear more than the last film.

GOAT confirmed

I'm so hyped for the new King Kong movie, I wonder if he's going to fight some kaijus since he'll be Godzilla sized

That's called rythm and suspense, retard

>Also, Godzilla is not the "monster". He's the protagonist, essentially. He saves the day. We don't need him lurking in shadow and doing shit offscreen the entire movie because this isn't a fucking horror film.
That sounds cheesy as fuck. Give me a horror film over that any day

The rumor is that McQuarrie is basically the new director, and that Disney is covering it up by saying Edwards is still """""in charge""""""

I don't know the point of hiring them if it's to fire them right away

It will be the same with the Jurassic World director, mark my words

Well I think the point is they get to hire someone with indie cred, for less pay, and is more easily bossed around. Publicly firing them is probably the last thing they want, and you only hear about the worst case scenario with people like Trank

Edwards is shit though.

Monster was a pile of wank.
Godzilla was a bigger budgeted pile of wank.
I guess it took something like Star Wars to reveal how much of an idiot hack he is.

Oh my god you're so right
Thank you for expressing your opinion my friend

Godzilla was fucking horse shit. Not even because of the lack of Godzilla actually being in it, but because of how completely uninteresting and boring the characters were.

I like his stuff, and he comes off as a nice dude overall, sort of an anti-Trank.

Really wish he didn't bother with SW, but he's a long-time fan supposedly, so I guess he was up for the chance. Hope it'll work out alright and he gets to work with a decent script one day.

I hope you don't think that's anything but PR fluff bullshit.

The Trankening 2016

Tony Gilroy is directing the reshoots not McQuarrie

Is there anything Gareth can't do?

Lighting a fucking set.

McQuarrie denied all of this.
slashfilm.com/rogue-one-reshoots-details/

>director of Edge of Tomorrow and Rogue Nation
Why wasn't he the director from day 1?

>"""""in charge""""""

Doug Liman did Edge of Tomorrow

Gareth is like early 80's Carpenter, the hero the genre deserves, but not the one it needs right now. In a few years - if Disney doesn't fuck his shit up too hard - he'll take his place among the respected cult directors.

Great Movies that have had reshoots

>E.T.
>Jaws
>Apocalypse Now
>Blade Runner
>Superman II
>Rocky
>Back To The Future
>Top Gun
>The Avengers
>Mad Max: Fury Road
>X2: X-Men United

What's the issue here?

He'll be fine.

All those movies are shit though

You would have said that, literally no matter what the list was.

u just got troled