Need some advice Sup Forums

Need some advice Sup Forums

> work for mom n' pop hardware store
> mom n' pop go on vacation
> new employee who is supposed to open the store is no call no show
> I'm the only one who cares enough to work 12 hour shift to cover
> will be getting shafted for the next two weeks

In your opinion Sup Forums is this acceptable from an employer?
Should I ask for a raise? Or should I look for something else?

tl;dr: should I quit my job?

why are you quitting your job over being ass fucked? I thought faggots liked that

will bump with relevant background info

I've been working at this place for nearly 4 years. I'm their most experienced guy, but i'm not a manager and I get paid $13/hr.

tis true

Document everything: Arrival time, departure time. Keep tight track of money and sales. Bank deposits everyday, show your face there, get to know them by name. Have lunch delivered.

Expect for nothing less than full time and a half after 40, holiday pay if applicable.

Demand a raise when they return, when things settle down.

You saved their ass, they owe you.

Welcome to adult world, people with a spine have to make up for the spineless, dont bitch about a 12 hour day, some of us work 16+ every day

just take all their money and leave.

This is solid advice but done sound like a dick like this dude

have a closing down sale
leave with all the money
keep a hammer
hammers are always useful

>> work for mom n' pop hardware store

You're almost definitely being ripped off.

>> I'm the only one who cares enough to work 12 hour shift to cover

Yep, there we go.

Family businesses are usually shit. Get the hell out OP.

That's OT bro, temporary OT.
Doin the boss a favor.
Don't fuckin knock it.
>Your back will get scratched eventually.

It's called "work ethic".

This. Also, might be a good idea to tell Mom & Pop (if you can even reach them)

that is one way to look at it.

Why would I quit just because I have to work more.
I will make a shit-load of overtime, so in a way it's
worth it.

But at the same time I do most of the work around
the place even when there are other people. Now
I'm doing all of the work. I was at the store for
6 hours today, by myself, busting my ass keeping
someone else's store open.

do this

ask for raise. $2
you should at least be floor manager or something stupid like that

>without me they will never be able to find another low-wage non-skilled worker.

>im going to quit before i actually have another job. this will surely look good on my resume!

the problem with you kids today is its always about how unfair it is for YOU. you faggots never realize that when your the one doing that kinda shit, you WILL be rewarded, it might not be right away, but it will happen. dont go busting in their office demanding a raise because you stepped up for a whole 2 weeks. you sound like a money grubbing faggot that way, continue doing the jobs no one else wants to do, thats how you get the raise.

>It's called "work ethic".

It's also called "being a mug" if they don't pay you. Which a LOT of places wouldn't. Stringing victims along with a promise that they'll "eventually" get rewarded has been a stock tactic of shitheads for thousands of years. I mean, shit, there are entire religions founded on that scam.

Find something somewhere else. Give mom & pop a shot at bettering the offer you got from the other place. Get better working conditions.

Small business owners notoriously screw over the people that work for them though so be prepared to walk when they don't match the offer you got.

While they are away I am sending out all of the credit card batches and making all the deposits..

I handle the money, the inventory, I'm closing and (as of today) opening the store, plus I'm the only one who knows shit about hardware.

I was thinking of asking for a raise, but they gave me a dollar raise last time they came back for vacation. this was maybe 6 months ago. However, it was because I made some very big sales, not for running his store.

That's the other half.. just suck it up and do your job!.. or am I being a pussy for not standing up for myself when I'm being taken advantage of?

If we made any decent money I would consider it.

Yea but I keep thinking that eventually they're gonna just make me a manager and pay me a decent wage, so i put up with it.. that and it's not really a bad job most of the time.. just shit like this makes me think of all the other stupid shit i put up with..

thought about calling them.. and figured there's nothing they can do about it, so let them enjoy their vacation and when they come back, my sacrifice will be all the more suprising..

>Yea but I keep thinking that eventually they're gonna just make me a manager and pay me a decent wage, so i put up with it..

My sister was the same when she started working at a small business at 16.

She's now 34 and still not a manager. Well, she does all the work of a manager, but they don't pay her for it. But any day now!

Dude, I'm not OP, but I've personally been shafted more than once because I had that mindset when I was younger. Sometimes you get walked over so much by your boss, they start thinking you're the doormat. As I got older I realised that the squeaky wheel gets the oil, but you damn well better work your ass off once you've been lubed.

the moment you come in acting like the hero over 2 weeks of ass busting is the moment you lose your job(possibly) and ANY chance of promotion. you say you normally work 6 hour shifts, ect ect, you are clearly not mr bigshit there, dont get a big dick over what is really MINOR in the grand scheme of things. its not as big of a leap as ur making it.

I have a friend who works in his step dad's business, whom owns around 4 stores in a 400-mile area. My friend pretty much does all managment at any store (he travels between them all the time), and also trains new employees. He's been doing this for atleast 6 years now and he barely makes more than $12 an hour. I keep telling him he's better than that, but he's so blind to "one day I'm gunna own this business", yet he's not even a manager yet. Shitty business too, his stepdad really isn't making much money as a guy who owns so many stores should.

if they dont see your potential go do something else, but give it a shot.
i went through like 30 different jobs across like 5 different fields before landing one im finally treated the way i deserve at, i make close to 1k a week doing something i love, i get any day off i ask, i get sweet benefits, i get first call on brand new equipment, it takes patience. thats it. im almost 30 now, you arent supposed to be running 'worlds best manager' shit in your teens and 20s.

Why do people not understand this is exactly what you need to do to get ahead. Yeah, be the fucking nice guy. Then when you list that employer as a reference, they say the absolute best things about you. Things so good, you get that job you really wanted...making real money.

>then rinse and repeat

Because the assholes the most minimum wage management hire that I decided to join the Navy. At least now I don't have to do with the fuck ups that you have to deal with at this hardware store.

Oh shit you can make your own scientific lab with all that equipment OP.
liek chemistry and stuff ...

Honestly, they would probably be just fine without
me, but it would make life much more difficult
for them

do you think 2 raises in 4 years is fair for (arguments sake) an above average employee?

I have put in two weeks here once before,
because of another job that started and fell apart.
If they were worried they hid it well.

>thought about calling them.. and figured there's nothing they can do about it, so let them enjoy their vacation and when they come back, my sacrifice will be all the more suprising..

You MIGHT be able to work out overtime pay, or a raise in advance. But then it also gives them the opportunity to find someone to help in the store, depriving you of the opportunity for shock and awe

>Then when you list that employer as a reference,

...which about half the employers you'll go on to work with won't even bother to check.

You guys have a great handle on how jobs are SUPPOSED to work, but actually don't. Wage slaving like a good boy doesn't guarantee shit but more of the same.

Sure, if you want, put up with it forever. But don't make out like that's gonna change anything.

This is basically the same as my sister. What makes me laugh is that she thinks she knows everything about the world and about work, based on working the same shitty job in the same shitty town for the same idiot for her whole life. It's sad really.

I fucking tutor autistic kids, for 7.25/hr, and have been sent to the emergency room twice this year due to injuries when they go full tard, and you are bitching about having to work a bit harder.
>fucking kill yourself

If they can afford a vacation they can afford to pay you what you're worth, don't gouge them, but don't undersell yourself either of you really are working as hard as you claim

Yeah but I tutor autistic kids for 6.70 an hour, therefore you have no right to complain any have to put up with any bullshit I deem unworthy, because I am a better martyr than you.

Agreed

why the fuck would you do that

It's a living user, it fits in my schedule between and after classes, and honestly its rewarding work when you get through to them, however some of them get violent

ask for a raise. good workers are hard to come by, if not they gonna be constantly hiring irresponsible high school students.

Yea I really don't want to get stuck in that cycle.

I work 5 days a week, 1130-8 w-su.. I'm not trying to make a big deal..

I'm asking if you were making $13hr, busting your ass like you were making commission, and the boss goes on vacation, and your stuck running the store like you own it..

what do you do when the boss comes back?

I'm 29

i can't tell if you're being sarcastic

I was in the Marine Corps

ya bro, just like Walter White

fair? no, but its all your probably gonna get, so either be happy, or move on. those types of businesses cant afford to pay you 15 dollars an hour to tidy up a fucking shelf and run a cash register.

There are a million guys like him, they'll be fine.

>they gave me a dollar raise last time they came back for vacation. this was maybe 6 months ago.

too soon to expect a raise. you're expected to work your ass off for the last one. but be sure to make them know the other dude bailed on them.

i would find some fucking skilled labor training and do something worth more than 13 an hour to start, thats the kinda money i made at 19, working in a warehouse for napa auto parts, believe me, they ran me ragged, i didnt complain. tell the boss what happened, but dont act like your owed something.

This, unskilled workers are fucking untouchables in our society. You will never move up the totem pole without getting new skills.

greentexts those

>what do you do when the boss comes back?

Take whatever time you can find in those 2 weeks to look for other jobs. Probably not easily done interview wise, but worth calling a few places for informal chats (most jobs happen because the interviewer plain liked you, don't ever underestimate a friendly conversation) to get an idea of what other options you have. It'll give you confidence too when negotiating how they're gonna sort you out.

You might be lucky and find out they're okay, but you won't know if you don't try. And if you try and they give you shit or try to guilt you out for it, redouble your job search and find someone better.

You are all faggots

well there is time and half after 40.. i don't know if
negotiating a raise over the phone is the best
tactic.

Yea, I don't mind working hard, I just don't wanna
be taken advantage of.

I worked at house for that type several years ago. I made $10/hr. One of them broke a coffee mug over a staff's head, then tried to gouge her eyes out, because she wouldn't give him more coffee.

All they have is high school kids and an old man..
I was thinking $15/hr.. but shit, now I'm thinking
"what the actual fuck am i doing with my life?"

I have an apt and all these bills and shit...

I do have some money saved and I do know someone with whom I could pick up some contracting gigs

I've been sticking with this shit because it's just conve... easy..

I don't know if you plan to work there forever but instead of a raise maybe you could ask them for a promotion to floor manager or something. I mean if you're already doing the job you might as well have the title. Also, there's a certain psychological limit on what salary they might accept to pay an employee (even a family member), but by being a manager you might break that glass ceiling.

If that was all I did, I wouldn't have made this thread.

Maybe, but they ain't been walking into this store.

That's what I thought too, but I mean, what if I decided that I'm just gonna work my scheduled shift.. so now the store opens 2 hours later.. and I
decide that i'm not being payed to handle 8 customers
at once, so I'll just stand at the register..

What do you do then?

I spent the years when most are in college, in the military. The job I had is not one that is easily transferable to civilian life, but it's not one that I care to do..

I'm too set in my ways for college, so most of the "skills" I have are my hobbies.. such as music, computer artwork and programming..

I'm not sure how to monetize my hobbies and I'd
prefer to keep them as hobbies anyway, so I look for something that supports my needs and gives me as much free time as possible..

Make a record and have his pay docked accordingly.

Act like you were excited for the chance to step up and take care of the store. Say you would be willing to do it in the future as the full time manager but don't fucking get cocky.

That's some real honest truth, kind of a pick me up since I'm in a similar position as op only difference is that the owner is a major corporation.

this is OP, signing out...

asking for a raise for performing your duties just because another fails at their duties is unfounded. Attempting to usurp money from someone who is already dealing with another usurping their money isn't a sound option.

The only variable to those is how valuable you actually are, and even then, if your necessity is superseded by the ability to hire someone new, your effort is fruitless.

You can't force them to see your worth, and for what's it's worth, trying to get them to see your worth is a percentile with too many numbers to crunch. It's a chance you'll take. I'd suggest NOT biting the hand that feeds you before seeing what other hands have to offer. You do deserve to get what YOU think you should, and everyone deserves to pay what THEY think they should. If what some numbskull says or does effects you to the point of leaving your position I would posit that you're not truly dedicated to your duty, which is fine.. But you shouldn't sacrifice what you really want for some money because you'll end up hating the fact that everything you can afford is because you live a life you hate due to hating what you do.

Yes, explore companies and the like that are catered more toward your kind of people if this isn't it. Explore the options, and create a few plans. Only then, proceed to make your moves.

ill do it tomorrow if people are interested, just look for tutor fag

talk more about things

It's a fucking hardware store. You're lucky you got a raise in the first place. How much ass-busting can those baby-soft hands do while your job description is basically restocking the shelves? Welcome to real life, it only gets worse.

Time and time zone?