/jazz/

What are you listening to and what do you think of it?

guides:
imgur.com/a/vGtuD

resource:
>History of Jazz: pastebin.com/megRCyA7
archive.org/details/davidwnivenjazz

releases and reviews:
downbeat.com/reviews/list/cat/jazz
allaboutjazz.com/
npr.org/music/genres/jazz/
rateyourmusic.com/~jazzthreadguy

radio
accuradio.com/jazz/

yt:
youtube.com/user/jazznbluesexperience
youtube.com/user/JavaJazzFest

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/OHZZuO2vY50
youtube.com/watch?v=k1S1OI0rgX0
youtube.com/watch?v=qnUYchoKzA4
youtube.com/watch?v=N4f-yIL9xRU
youtube.com/watch?v=oqSSHwFEn_8
youtube.com/watch?v=bySp06pk6ZI
youtube.com/watch?v=ZckCvW1_tDE
youtube.com/watch?v=K7PC2oE511w
youtu.be/XZQeoQUPshc
youtube.com/watch?v=c_OkcVLBB9A
youtube.com/watch?v=nu1ycFaCtzk
youtube.com/watch?v=ZTnE0QQHxeA
youtube.com/watch?v=3f9aECVC1AE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What are you listening
haitian voodoo influence jazz

Post the album.

Going back through some of my all time favourite Jazz pieces as of recent - most I haven't listened to in a good few years.
Today I listened to Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz. After maybe two - possibly three years. I remember thinking it was a great release but one I never really took serious. Usually with most Jazz I tend to read about it before hand, get a grasp on the soloists and what not.
After revisiting Free Jazz and reading and learning more about it, I came to realise just how complex and incredible it really is. Learning when and how the soloists were introduced into the piece is in my opinion imperative to understanding it.
Usually in Jazz I stick to the philosophy of "Listening to one solists throughout an album", some may think it's a retarded way to go about listening to Jazz but for me it helps me appreciate it more. With Free Jazz through you can't really do that, the fact that you have two entire quartets playing simultaneously, one in each channel, makes It incredibly difficult to focus on a soloist, your focus is constantly being redrawn to something else.

youtu.be/OHZZuO2vY50
thsis

youtube.com/watch?v=k1S1OI0rgX0

Jazz needs more Sitar
immediately

Recs on some all encompassing improv? Basically some jam records that aren't 90% sax.

improvised jams right here with just a little bit of sax

listening to this

fairly low-key meditative sax/flute+drums duo free jazz

Not usually my kinda thing but half way through and very listenable. Dig the rhythm and dynamic changes a lot.

Right this moment I'm listening to pic related with my new Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear headphones. It's sounding fantastic. A great introduction to jazz for newcomers that's not mentioned often. It may be a bit 'tame' or conventional, but it sure swings! The title of the album comes from the fact that it's Art Pepper with the Miles Davis rhythm section! So all great musicians. It's said that the session was recorded in a very improvised way, with zero rehearsals and he was notified of the recording session just a few hours earlier. So goes the legend at least

What are some great jazz compositions?

What does /jazz/ think of this?
youtube.com/watch?v=qnUYchoKzA4

>NEETs

kek

Been listening to this, but it doesn't get any credit here, at least anything I've seen. Blakey plays like I've never heard him and completely takes charge of the music while still complimenting the players. Would highly recommend this to anybody looking for Jazz.

Check this one out by Blakey, too.
youtube.com/watch?v=N4f-yIL9xRU

bump

What are your favorite ECM releases?

Anyone else got a recommendation?

rec me some vocals

Any recs for something similar to this?

I love the big-band influence, it makes all of the melodies really interesting and thick. I have listened to other George Russell albums but nothing compares to Jazz In The Space Age.

He gets slept on, but his arrangements are fantastic. I got to play You Go To My Head in a group. Great big band stuff on this album.

Bill Holman is an amazing arranger. I'm glad someone else on Sup Forums is familiar with him

jesus fuck... best listen of the year so far. here i thought roach peaked on freedom now suite. i'm beginning to rethink that. intense chaotic vocal jazz. real heavy hitters

>tfw too supid for jaz zand classical music

Don't worry stupid frog, no one's too stupid for classical, just look at the classical thread, lots of fellow retards there.

youtube.com/watch?v=oqSSHwFEn_8

Yeah, as opposed to this thread, that doesn't have retards or anyone in particular for that matter.

Well you probably need more retards, chill out and stop being so unwelcoming perhaps.

I've been longer in /jazz/ generals than /classical/.
It's just sad that now they now die quickly, I remember not even a year ago there were somewhat populated.
Maybe I'm just missing all the good threads.

>when somebody rates your favorite jazz album 1 star on RYM and writes a review that just says something vague like "didn't take it far enough"

don't worry user, it just means they probably didn't actually listen to it

only a fool would care about RYM ratings when it comes to jazz anyway

Example?

"___ could have pushed the boundaries a lot further"
"elevator music"
"got bored"
mfw

>rates album 2 stars
>with the comment "very good"

>using the concept "elevator music" for anything that's not smooth jazz

>"wank"

>"too academic"

weeb shit

the drummer in the first video looks like mario

I have to see this band live youtube.com/watch?v=bySp06pk6ZI

that isn't even music

Midnight blue is really good

It makes me feel things

I saw them last year.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZckCvW1_tDE

One of my favorites. I wish Wayne's parts were mixed higher though. The climax of his solo on the title track usually underwhelms me because it seems drowned out.

My dudes
youtube.com/watch?v=K7PC2oE511w

A lot of anons are probably in school. I remember last summer we had some big /blindfold/ threads iirc.

First reply decides next album I listen to (jazz related or not). Go.

youtu.be/XZQeoQUPshc

my wife hiromi is so cute

Yes she is cute but Phillips stole the album

youtube.com/watch?v=c_OkcVLBB9A

and no need to namefag m8

Anything by paul bley or paul motian. Also masabumi kikuchi. I listen to a lot of ecm

Rn im listening to mingus- cornell 1964, its good. Dolphy.

I need some recs for nocturnal jazz.

youtube.com/watch?v=nu1ycFaCtzk

This is god tier shit

youtube.com/watch?v=ZTnE0QQHxeA

youtube.com/watch?v=3f9aECVC1AE

Check this one, too.