>cant form a shoegaze or noise band because only plebs in germany
>have a singer friend who has decent taste and wants to form a band with me
>but cant even find a drummer that is not 100% pleb

and dont get me started on bassists
808 it is

whats the best guitar moves episode

here st vincent explains 12th fret harmonics because of math and science

she sounds kinda like a moron desu

what makes the SG better than the les paul for metal? assuming they have the same pickups?

it looks more satanic

since string tension/scale length/hardware is the same most of the time, literally nothing.

Should I learn all the notes on the fretboard while I'm learning to read sheet music. I can see on the sheet music that I need to play a certain note but I don't know where that is on the neck. Seems like knowing the fretboard would help but the book never mentions it.

probably because it reflects the gayness of metal

Go down your local college music dept and ask around for anyone looking to gig. That's how I found my drummer.

not that you can hear anything under the mountain of dogshit metal dudes have for toanz but SGs are more peaky in the upper midrange and have less bass response than a les paul

les pauls are better for metal imo with a tighter low end for stupid metal chugging

Reminder that guitar is literally the worst instrument to play if your goal is to ever play in a band because you'll never stand out from the ocean of guitarists

>T. Butthurt bedroom player

not if you want to form your own band though, writing and singing your own songs

good luck finding one if you don't though

>chugging
i dont do that gay shit. i like to play the old stuff like megadeth, iron maiden, pantera, w.a.s.p.

Nothing does. The SG is the same as just about any HH config guitar, the pickups it ships out with aren't particularly suited to metal even if I quite like low output pickups for high gain shit. There's nothing giving the SG a leg up over the LP for metal.

>apply distortion
>??? suddenly EQ, response and pickup character go out the window

I would wager that distorted tones give a more vivid projection of the pickup's actual characteristics than the cleans do, which depending on amp and technique can sound much more homogenous, even generic.

>les pauls are better for metal imo with a tighter low end for stupid metal chugging

Did you forget to say "depending on pickups"? Because stock Gibbo configurations are rarely, if ever, tight. At any rate you sound like a faggot who doesn't know anything.

Yeah. Do that. Learning anything never hurts. That applies to anything in life, if you're prepared to go down the rabbit hole

>wasp
>good

>pantera
>no chugs
3/10 bait lad

Still much worse to play guitar because you'll never find a rhythm section. If you play bass or drums and do it well, it's easy to find bandmates, and you'll be more valuable than the guitarist so it won't be hard to get your way. Being a guitarist is a good choice if you just want to do solo studio work, but if you're trying to join a group with it the odds are stacked against you.

>old wasp
>not catchy with awesome tier tone.

>pantera chugs
i think we're talking about 2 different things.

this is the gay shit im talking about
youtube.com/watch?v=KDzt6yI3Dw8

It doesn't matter what instrument you play if you can write your own music. He plays shoegaze meme shit anyway so he doesn't even need a drummer if he doesn't want to play live shows.

>buy a variety pack of dunlop picks to see what one I like the best for buying a big pack of them
>end up liking every single one of them

How do I join or start a band?
I don't know anyone that plays instruments and feel not up to joining one cause I feel like I suck
what do?

The Josh Homme one or the Dean Ween one. The guy who hosts it did something similar with Tosin Abasi, but I think its called something different. That one actually has some juicy information. Although the St. Vincent one had me cringing throughout its entirety.

Practice until you don't feel like you suck.

for nice talking Josh Homme
for comedy Deaner
for feeling like shit cause this man is falling apart: Lemmy

but what if I don't feel like I suck anymore but it turns out I still suck?

Literally no reason for guitarists not to also own and play a bass. Develop stronger fretting, sense of timing and better understanding of what your rhythm section is actually doing and how to emphasize each other.

Find someone to give you critique.

Get on the level with most other guitarists here, and everywhere. Insist youe awesome, get pissy at criticism and advice, call everyone a faggot, retreat to your room and tell yourself everyone sucks besides you. Boom. You're a guitarist.

Ok.

ok but that doesn't get me in a band though

>that feel when you realize you enjoy more listening to meme shit like The Weeknd while being comfy and designing your band's flyers, facebook banners, photoshoping promos and shit than actually playing the music/your instrument

Sure it does. Get a bassist and drummer like that, a singer like that x10. You're most bands out there.

but wouldn't a band of premadonnas just implode after awhile?

Usually. Have you seen the music scene in the last 50 years?

most successful bands are arrogant as fuck, you have to be

as long as you get along together

so I just have to be an insufferable douchebag and tell everybody that my flat bend wasn't flat your ears are flat?

>artistic impression

Just be slightly more creative. Paint your faces, be all midgets, wear an unusual mask or costume, so to speak. Something like that but different.

youtu.be/Ew8ZqhjM26g

How do I make music like this?

More points

Friendly reminder that as long as you enjoy the stuff you are playing you are doing OK. Playing shoegaze is just as good as playing jazz as long as you are giving it everything you have.
I like the Julian Lage one and the Theresa Wayman one because they're super comfy. Mary Halvorson is kewl too.
Playing with other musicians is a skill on its own, and it's something everyone needs to practice. Sometimes you just have to go out there and suck so that you can improve. If you have friends that play instruments it would be better to go jam with them so that you can get better together with less judgement.

Sucks but It works. The dont say "selling your soul to the devil" for nothing.

>Friendly reminder that as long as you enjoy the stuff you are playing you are doing OK.
until you get tendinitis

>tendinitis
and the $540 in copays for psychical therapy 'cause you so fucked your arm it won't move.

Take care of your shit man. Eat right, exercise and stretch your hand.

Oh I exercise my arm alright

guys if you can't play Stairway you might as well sell your guitar right now

Is anyone here actually a certified guitar nut? what school do you go to for that?

You drop out of Berklee.

I'm a guitar potato. Does that count?

Or you don't get accepted into Berkeley and then become a music teacher and hate your life
:(

>Berkeley

user please

I bet that's why they didn't accept me

How do I find decent guitar teachers? So far im thinking

>gumtree
>Facebook
>maybe newspaper

If there's a small guitar shop nearby they might offer lessons, good ones too. Avoid the hobbyists trying to make a few extra quid.

Sometimes you get free lessons with purchases at my local mom and pop, and the bonus is the instructors are from the uni down the street.

thanks will check this out.

>Avoid the hobbyists trying to make a few extra quid

There really are some shit teachers out there. One guy I saw for a while pretty much just wanted to jam for 2 hours, amazing guitarist but I was learning fuck all

>get the dank bass riff on loop
>so dank i don't want to play over it
who /riffmaster/ here? original riffs, do not steal.

upload dat shiet nigga

buy the same pack and you'll have two of each

>not building from and harmonising your basslines to the lead melody

you are no riffmaster to me

No Dan, get depressed and make your own dank riffs.

You know not of my dankness.

>/riffmaster/
only for OSDM or dumb stoner, I can improvise a riff in seconds for these genres.

>strandberg releasing 5ish new models
>I can't afford them

Reeeeee

stacking reverbs is fun

Same here. Not that they're all "good", but I've heard shit on albums and have said to myself, "I'd be embarrassed to put that riff on my album." so i guess it's all subjective

Those things are more hideous than telecasters

post a clyp lad, I'm too lazy to do it myself but curious

I'm really curious if they do 8 string versions of the Fusion and Classic line (although I don't like "fender finishes"), that's the kind of guitar I'd like.
However I'm also curious about Ibanez (most-likely) releasing the Toastin' Abrasive signature, they're probably going to be at similar pricepoints I guess.

I mostly mentioned OSDM and stoner because that's the only genre where my quickly-improvised riffs sound always at least decent.

clyp.it/xxu4rp2n

Don't know why it rercorded so quite, I think I fucked up reaper.

>finally have a successful career with disposable income
>can afford childhood dream gear of a Rick 330 and AC30
>realise it would never leave my 4 walls and ultimately be a hugely expensive toy

Mixed feels. Even if I started gigging again I wouldn't carry that kind of gear around.

if you let this go on for an hour you can sell it as an ambient record

Should i keep singing a.clyp.it/fdeqmrdh.mp3

she is, she's a fucking hack

Josh Homme episode was the best, he's cool, makes great music, and actually showed some neat insight into his style

youtube.com/watch?v=ZMv8739BtiA

it's called Guitar Power, some neat stuff in here too

I'm pretty broke. I like the SG guitar, and there's a guitar shop selling an epiphone g400 standard for $300.

Are the epiphone SG's any good?

I need your help /gg/. I've been practicing guitar since October of last year, and I've gotten really good, and i want to buy an electric guitar. I want to start making big black inspired noise rock and possibly forming a band with some cohorts. I plan on Orange combo amp, an Interfax Harmonic Percolator, and maybe a swollen pickle mk ii or a boss ds-1. The only thing i'm unsure about is the guitar itself. I'm torn between a Shecter ATX C-1 and a Fender Stratocaster (and yes, i know it's a meme guitar). Currently, i have enough money for the strat and the amp, but i don't know if i should save my money or not. What do the guitarfags think?

tl;dr i've been playing guitar for 4 months and want to make big black-inspired noise rock and i don't know if i should get a Shecter blackjack or a stratocaster

youtube.com/watch?v=8g-NIaG47jU

youtube.com/watch?v=wlskErEWuRI

this guy is fucking ridiculous, still don't really like his music but holy shit

strat is fine, not a meme. you'll also need a drum machine or drum machine program.

for that kind of music, youd be fine with >100 guitar.

we might already have a drummer. I say might because we've only been talking about it but my friend's friend is a drummer and

well, go on lad

*and we haven't talked to him about it yet

Yeah that's exactly what I was expecting.

Varg did ambiant, look at him now, he's got land and a qt wife.

ultimately the only people who'll care about you buying a guitar you won't really use is people on the internet.

I hate how everyone just discards AAL into the djent-o-core trashbin because of its reputation, there's a lot of techniques I'd like to see in other contexts.

I saw the second video probably a year ago and I realise I've took on a lot of inspiration from this guy in terms of bending. I'm nowhere near that kind of insane playing but the way he uses glissando, bending and vibrato, pushing it to the extreme is really cool. More people should take inspiration from that.

sorry about that, i accidentally hit the post button. Here's the rest of the post

they're fine.

aside from the $100 starter bundle shit there is literally nothing wrong with squier or epiphone guitars.

>I've been playing for 4 months
>I've gotten really good

kek

i have one. i really like it. the only thing about it that sucked, at least for me is the tone knobs aren't very responsive, and they don't change the sound that much. great for classic rock or 80's stuff right out of the box.

I enjoy this intro and the autumn leaves part
youtube.com/watch?v=z2RalGnY4Nk

hi guys I really like guitars and it sure seems like you all do too
I just wanted to say how much I love learning about, playing, and talking about guitars with you guys :-)

If we all play the Sister Ray riff at the same time you think we can resurrect Lou Reed?

dont be mean cunt, just bc youve been playing for 6 and still cant read standard notation

why would you want that

>all Strandbergs have stock fishman fluence pickups

Reeeee

youtu.be/FpYJBrZDRLg

We're gonna need a lot of cocaine...

wrong drug or wrong "musician"