Metalfags chimp out and burn their "Metal Up Your Ass" T-shirts when this came out

>metalfags chimp out and burn their "Metal Up Your Ass" T-shirts when this came out
Why are metalfags so autistic?

it's a shit album m8

The unforgiven is a good song but everything else on that album is shit

But it's actually a good album

>tfw I have the metal up your ass t-shirt
at least my friends think it's cool

Nah

this

>all metalfags are Metallica fans
Good one. There's no fanbase more autistic in all music.

I don't like the black album,but that doesn't change the fact that Kill Em All is fucking awesome.

bump

>every song on black album is shit
>except unforgiven

Are you fucking retarded?

"It is commonplace to refer to Metallica's self-titled album, informally known as The Black Album, released on August 16, 1991, of being a massive sellout. Indeed at the time, the metal community felt exactly that. They disliked how the band had hired Motley Crue's producer. They disliked the slowed-down tempos. They disliked the inclusion of a ballad. Metallica also filmed a series of promotional music videos for MTV, a step they had long refused to do. Yet, for all that, TBA gained the band far more fans than it lost as it went on to sell 16 million copies and elevated them out of the metal underground into one of the biggest rock groups on the planet, playing football stadiums across the globe."

"Nowadays however, TBA is generally considered a strong effort. Rolling Stone Magazine rated it #252 on their 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list. So how has time proven more kind to the album? For one thing, TBA boosted Metallica to the apex of their commercial and cultural relevance. It gained them legions of new fans, and after seeing their later career unfold, it's now apparent that this was the last time they would truly be a relevant music act. Load, Reload, and St. Anger were widely reviled and cost them most of their fanbase, and Death Magnetic was just seen as a feeble attempt by a past-it band to recapture the glory days. The songs on TBA were individually major hits and most of them became permanent staples of Metallica's live setlist, especially the anthemic Enter Sandman. Sad But True predicted 90s metal trends. Of Wolf and Man is a gesture to fans of their faster 80s songs, and Nothing Else Matters had considerable crossover appeal."

"Sellout? TBA both was and wasn't. It went for a more accessible, commercial sound, but also proved a massive success and made the band into jetsetting rock stars. Sometimes, selling out doesn’t have to be the worst thing in the world."

TBA wasn't really a departure from their 80s albums, it was a simplified, more commercial version of them. The real sellout happened with Load when they cut their hair and started appealing to alternative dickheads.

Interesting. TBA is a guilty pleasure of mine, yet I can't help but think if Cliff Burton had been alive in 1991 and Lars told him "Hey, let's hire Bob Rock and shoot MTV videos", he'd probably be picking his teeth up from the ground.

The first music video Metallica released was "Cliff 'Em All", a tribute to Cliff Burton after he died, and it was mostly just concert bootlegs. Then they filmed a video for "One" because "this song is that important; we have to make a video for it." But when they shot vids for all the singles on TBA, it became obvious where they were headed.

beginner metal

I had no idea anyone thought of TBA as a sellout until I saw a VH1 Behind The Music about Pantera and how they and a lot of the metal community were totally disillusioned with Metallica. I can see why; it's slowed down, not thrashy at all, the music videos, the ballad, the round-the-clock MTV airplay. Not a bad album, but such a rapid and disconcerting change of direction after they'd insisted they would never do most of this stuff.

lyl nothing gets mealfags more pissy than discussing later career Metallica when they cut their hair and made more accessible songs. grow up, dudes.

Let's be completely honest, here. They kind of hit a ceiling with AJFA in terms of how fast/complex their songs could be. I mean, Lars and Kirk were so coked out by the end of the 88-89 tour that they probably had no clue what city they were playing in half the time. There wasn't really a choice except to simplify their songs and go more mainstream.

TBA took longer to develop than any of their previous albums, partially because of shooting music videos. The recording sessions started in October 1990 and lasted until June 1991, a good eight months. Metallica were at that time still very much an underground band, albeit one of the biggest. Mainstream rock at this time was nothing but abysmal hair metal garbage.

TBA was the first time an album this heavy had come to the mainstream. A lot of metal fans didn't realize or accept how they'd elevated metal to mainstream popularity.

TBA actually came about because AJFA proved a serious bastard to play live. A lot of those songs relied on extensive studio overdubs and were also way too long for the most part. Metallica enjoyed the simple cover songs they did on Garage Days Reloaded and decided they could recapture that feel. Fleming Rasmussen had been mainly responsible for getting them to write ever more complex songs, so that partially explained the switch to Bob Rock. Of course, they also lost the Grammy nomination for best metal album to Jethro Tull's Crest of a Knave.

Unfortunately, Bob Rock started to insert himself into the band and act as if he was the sixth member of Metallica. This wasn't so obvious on TBA, but it got more noticeable on Load. You could argue that Fleming Rasmussen did the same thing, but he was really just going along with Cliff Burton's desire to push the complexity of the band's arrangements more and more. Bob Rock essentially reshaped their sound into something more commercial, at least his idea of more commercial. Granted, this was the direction the band wanted to go in, so naturally they'd listen to someone telling them what they wanted to hear, but it does irk a lot of fans to know that they put someone else in the driver's seat.

Continued:

Metallica were far from the only 80s band trying to adapt to the new decade. Anthrax made a grunge album and Slayer later on did a nu metal album. At that time, the rock world was getting disgusted with hair metal and so Geffen tried to rebrand GNR as heavy metal and have them co-headline with Metallica, which was at the same time rebranded by Elektra as hard rock. Then grunge happened and proved the anecdote to Motley Crue/Winger/Warrant, etc but because Metallica toured with Guns and had hired Bob Rock, they got tarbrushed as part of the hairspray scene. This was pretty illogical considering Alice In Chains had a lot more metal sound than GNR, and Nirvana even hired their producer because he'd worked with Slayer.

Basically, if Metallica had stuck to their old sound through the grunge era, they could have survived with their image intact, but they switched before Nevermind came out because of the problems they'd had with AJFA. They busted their asses making a complex progressive metal album, only for it to not sell as well as they'd hoped and also losing their Grammy nomination to a washed-up dadrock band.

If they didn't change their sound, they would have been relegated to the county fair circuit along with other dinosaur rock bands. You can't keep making 1985's music forever, yet that's what their autistic fans apparently expected them to do.

AJFA really wasn't a very accessible or musical album, it was mostly just a barrage of riffing that's not necessarily very nice on the ears.

The real sellout wasn't on TBA, it was on Load when they cut their hair. Also they started acting increasingly like millionaire entertainers rather than musicians. There was one concert video from 91 where James Hetfield makes fun of Axl Rose for being a prima donna, and then a video from 97 where he talks about his personal assistant bringing him his stuff.

TBA may have been commercial, but they were still basically their old selves image and personality-wise. Compare the Load-era band where they donned eyeliner, cut their hair, wore wifebeaters, calling themselves 'Tallica, and started spouting scripted arena rock cliches at every show. Watch some concert footage from 97 and count how many times James says "'Tallica gives you heavy, baby!" Fucking nauseating to listen to.

The success of TBA spoiled them and they sold their souls trying to chase that success in the years after.

thanks for the walls of text, guise

Back in the early days, they used to encourage fans to record concert bootlegs ala the Grateful Dead to spread the word around the metal community. Flash forward to the 2000s when they were industry lapdogs leading the charge against Napster. In short, they accused people of being scummy thieves for doing the very thing they used to encourage.

It hardly seems out of line for people who are autistic enough to actually own metal merch clothing in the first place.

I'm not even remotely /fa/, but you fags look absolutely absurd wearing that shit. A metal album cover DOES NOT make good clothing.

metallica fans are autistic that's why

>cutting your hair is selling out
This is the most childish this i've ever heard

Correct. Lots of young artists had no problem with Napster, because it helped spread awareness of their music, yet these fat 40 year old millionaires flying around in a private jet and who had more money than they'd ever need for the rest of their lives were trying to suppress it.

What's wrong with cutting your hair? Maybe I don't truly get metal, but I don't see a problem with that.

Nothing, metal is saturated with stupid faggots who think metal has a fucking uniform or something. They're the equivalent of scene kiddies who are in it for the image.

Metal fans seem to be the only people who think getting more commercial and accessible is selling out. I mean, you never heard RHCP fans accuse them of selling out because By The Way was more radio friendly than Freaky Styley.

from what i recall, metallica's biggest problem with napster was that it contained unfinished and unreleased material that the band didn't want the public to have access to.

>I mean, you never heard RHCP fans accuse them of selling out because By The Way was more radio friendly than Freaky Styley.
that's patently untrue

Pretty much every scene that isn't full on mainstream accuses the biggest acts of selling out. In many cases, they're right.

>Implying metallica fans don't just listen to buttrock like creed and five finger death punch

TBA was probably inevitable with the rise of grunge, because let's be honest that thrash metal was mined out by 1991 and there was no further place to take it. Rust In Peace was a beautiful sunset mistaken for a dawn, as the saying goes. Record labels were all rushing to promote alternative rock and everyone pretty much knew thrash was done. There were scores of lesser thrash bands who lived in the shadow of the Big 4 that all got the axe in the early 90s.

I was 16 when TBA came out and I could sense that something was not quite right here when the album was popular with MTV and 40 year old truck drivers with beer guts.

"Heavy metal is the most conservative form of music there is. Not even a high school gym teacher could get that many people to all dress the same."

-- Jello Biafra

let's be real though, punks do much more to police the fashion and ideologies of their brethren than metalheads ever could, even if that's largely a result of fragmentation within metal stemming from the various sub-genres.

lol no it's not, there's like 3 or 4 decent songs on there

No different than the grunge-flavored albums Megadeth and Anthrax released in the early to mid 90s. Check out Dave's sick flannel shirt.

If you think about it, TBA is their heaviest album both sonically and thematically. The riffs are ultra-low and crunchy compared to the thin, weedy no-bass sound on their classic albums. Also the lyrical themes are much heavier since they're all about pain and mental torment instead of sci-fi cheese and political commentary.

It's not about Metallica cutting their hair, it's everything else they did around that time that just happened to coincide with them cutting their hair. It's symbolic, they weren't the same band they were before.

Like I said,

No less than Tony Iommi himself said that he enjoyed TBA, so...

Metallica were rebels in the beginning too. They got started back when metal bands were supposed to wear tons of leather armor, and when they just went on stage in jeans and punk T-shirts, they were denounced as phonies and sellouts and even got kicked from some clubs.