For this, I will forgive all the frat boy anthems. For this, I will forgive "Dancing in the Dark". Hell...

For this, I will forgive all the frat boy anthems. For this, I will forgive "Dancing in the Dark". Hell, I'll forgive Springsteen's entire post-1985 career for this haunted, scarifying record that seems beamed directly in from a black and white movie from 1949. In its own strange way it's as avant-garde as any French new wave film; here's an eternally rural America where teenagers kill their families, the churches are filled with bodies, the highway stretches out endlessly before us and it's always the hour before dawn.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ikd0ZYQoDko
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>copy and pasting from a rym review
Are you that low IQ you can't put your thoughts about the album in your own words?

This is pretty much a Tom Waits album sung by someone who isn't Tom Waits.

But yeah, it redeems Springsteen.

Dancing in the Dark is a GOAT song you fucking cunt.

Actually it's a Suicide album that dilettantes cling onto. *tips fedora*

Check out this review my dad wrote for his college newspaper in 1982:

'Down-home' Springsteen downright dull

"NEBRASKA," Bruce Springsteen, Columbia TC 38358

Bruce Springsteen has to be admired for taking what could be called the strongest step of his musical career on his latest lp, Nebraska. The unfortunate thing is that, as an album, Nebraska comes out sounding like a shelled corn cob, and isn't much more exciting.

This time around, "The Boss" has left behind the traditional follow-up format (bigger and better than the last album) along with his impeccable E Street Band. What he has done is sat down with a recorder, an acoustic guitar and a harmonica to spin his usual repertoire of tales about cars, young love and the simple life.

Fine. But Springsteen serves no purpose in stripping his material to a bare minimum. We already know he is a fine musician, and excellent songwriter, and a moving performer. But since he doesn't have the best singing voice in the world, what exactly is he trying to prove here?

The underlying theme seems to be a performer going back to his roots, with Nebraska serving as the vision of the homeland and the simple life. Springsteen here seems to be at his best of songwriting, although he does seem to mine the same vein as usual.

cont.

On "Atlantic City" we find the heartbroken lovers, still in love and searching for a meaning, a home and a job. "Now our luck may have died and our love may be cold,/ but with you forever I'll stay" and later "Everything dies, baby, that's a fact/ but maybe everything that dies someday comes back."

"Used Cars" tells of trying to break away from the same routine, the family and the mortgage. "My dad he sweats the same job from mornin' to morn/ and me I walk home on the same dirty streets where I was born . . . Now, mister, the day my number comes in I ain't ever gonna ride in no used car again."

But by the end of the album, "the Boss" still offers some reason to believe: "They pray Lord won't you tell us, tell us what does it mean/ at the end of every hard-earned day people find some reason to believe."

What Springsteen could have done was provide an excellent rock album with intelligence and a meaning. "Johnny 99" could rock very well, and Clarence Clemens is sorely missed on sax. But what Springsteen has done is provided a good but boring album that listeners would be hard-pressed to listen to fully without dozing off.

neat

DUDE SUICIDE LMAO

plz respond

Nebraska is his 4th best album.

I agree

yeah wtf op i karaoked dancing in the dark on mushrooms what did you ever do

apparently there's a strong genetic component to being a pleb

>not even his darkest album
>not even his best dark album

>not The Ghost of Tom Joad
>not Devils & Dust

>it's the "I'm too cool to like dad rock, but THIS album is good!" episode

Wiener looks like this guy. youtube.com/watch?v=Ikd0ZYQoDko

Not gaslight people.

something something pet sounds

Your dad is patrician

One day you'll realise all Springsteen is good.
Or maybe its just an American thing

You just copied and pasted a rym music review. Why should I take you seriously?

Fun Fact: Springsteen shared a studio with Suicide and was good friends with Vega. Vega's work inspired this album, most notably "State Trooper."