Does anyone here play piano? I play guitar but want to start playing piano...

Does anyone here play piano? I play guitar but want to start playing piano, how much do you really have to spend to get an 88 weighted key, digital keyboard with usb?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fB46HlmTs-M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you get lucky you might be able to find a used one for $3-400, but for a new one $400 is probably going to be your minimum. It's worth it though if you want to take it semi-seriously.

If you're not sure, get a cheap midi controller keyboard to start with and if after a month you're still interested then step up to a real digital piano.

I'm kinda the inverse, I play piano but I'd like to learn guitar
My synthesizer costed around 700 bucks, it's pretty good

Yeah, you'll probably spend about 500 or more

what kind of synth

I want to upgrade but I have no money. I'll probably end up just buying a minibrute or saving until I have a job

how often do you need to practice piano?
my university has open piano rooms, but I would only be able to be in there 3 or 4 days a week. is that worth it or do I really need something to practice at home every day?

Every day, user. Additionally (to practice), whenever you feel like it.

>what kind of synth
Novation Ultranova
it's blue
Works pretty well but doesn't come with a normal piano sounding setting, gotta download that on your own time

Depends what your goals are. If you're just learning some sheet music for fun 3-4 times a week is great if you're doing 30 minutes or more in each session

If you are super serious, you'd be practicing everyday whether you really feel like it or not. However, if you just want to learn to play and have fun while also taking it semi serious, 4 days is good. Ideally, you'd be practicing every day even if for a short amount of time. The thing is, you tend to have to practice less as a beginner because you don't have nearly as many techniques or material to practice, which includes theory, scales etc.

But 4 days if good for now. You just have to really put all your effort into it

Yamaha's cheap digital pianos are nice. I almost bought one when I was in the store trying everything out but I ended up getting a more expensive Casio. I checked Amazon for you and see the P-45 for $450 USD. If you could locate a used one to save money I really think the quality is worth it.

Every day if possible, frequency is the key to building muscle memory, 30 minutes every day beats 6 hours, one day of the week. 4 days is ok though. Keep your sessions short, 3 hours tops, but no shorter than 20-30 minutes. Limiting your time forces you to make better use of that time, 1 hour of focused practice is better than 5 hours of mindless smashing of keys.

Remember to practice your scales, useful for building technique, great for warmup and knowing scales by heart is very useful.

I do scales for warm-up. I can tell you my approach which I've been using for years and can recommend wholeheartedly, what I do is I choose a scale and then play it in major and minor and play it in couple modes all the way up and down the keyboard. Then I switch it up by playing in syncopate rhythm, staccatto, portamento, 2 to 3, playing in opposite directions and some combinations of those. Then I take the triad with the eight and play it one not at a time then move up and start at the third and play the second inversion, move up a third and play the third inversion, move up a third and first inversion and so on through the whole keyboard and then go back in reverse through the whole keyboard.

I know this is a bit complicated and boring (and confusing if you're new ... I'll explain if you don't understad something), but this excercise takes only like 10-20 minutes to do and it helps so much to improve your technique if done regularly and you'll know your scales by heart in no time.

wew this was longer than I expected, hope it helps and isn't too confusing.

How often do you perform for others?

Casio px 160 is a decent starter. Getting a workable set of keys is generally pricier than a guitar, though.

this is actually immensely helpful, and not confusing. thanks

Is Yahama Keyboards worth it?

Yamaha has too many different models of keyboard to keep track of. Which one(s) specifically are you looking at, and what are your particular needs? I generally don't care for most of their keyboards, I find them a bit bland, but there's a huge product range.

I like the Kawai ES 100 as an entry level digital piano, but the price is higher than most of its real competitors.

I'm looking for a decently priced model that is low maintenance and more suitable in an apartment. Definitely need an audio jack to plug in my headphones.

Casio PX 160 is a better bang for the buck than the equivalent Yamahas, then. but if you have access to a music store, give a few a try and see what you like. Roland is my personal favorite but, like Kawai, they tend to be pricier. Korgs are good too.

> tfw Even after finding a job I still try to cheap out on everything

youtube.com/watch?v=fB46HlmTs-M

Learning piano is definitely worth it. I'm pretty much the same story as you.

Don't get an expensive keyboard. Just make sure it has a lot of keys. Sound will always be pretty bad compared to pianos.

You can do some great things on piano without much knowledge.

I feel you. I'm on a budget as well; I have more money now than I used to but it's hard to get past the impulse to lowball everything price wise. It really is worth it though--you'll be happier if you get something good that you really want now, instead of cheating out now and having to suffer through the mediocrity just to spend more upgrading later anyways.

I fell asleep. I used to perform a couple times a year back in highschool and primary school, I went to a music school after my regular classes and they organized a ton of recitals for parents, some christmas concerts in the city hall but nothing too big since it's a city of only like 15k people, also went to a couple competitions but nothing too big.

Nowadays I play for myself, it's great stress relief and and I started jamming with people like twice a week which is awesome because I finally found "my people", i guess that could count as playing for others. But playing in a band is a completely different skill, I was so fucking ashamed the first couple times because they knew I played for like 15 years and I couldn't keep together like 4 chord songs, and when I heard the recordings I almost killed myself, musicians are generally really understanding of people who are learning and most of them know it's different to jam with a band.

Hey no problem. Also, another tip, learning sheet music is great, but knowing chords and scales is also important and don't neglect using your ears and feeling the music. I used to play classical music from sheet music exclusively and it came to bite me in the ass when I started jamming. One guy would start playing and everyone just joined and i was fumbling around the keyboard not knowing what to play and couldn't feel the rhythm. When you know chords and scales, you can quickly ask them if you can't find a chord by ear (so i at least had that).

This is especially a problem with guitarists who learn from tabs exclusively, which is really common. Got a friend like that, he plays well but there's no way to jam with him unless everyone plays the songs he knows (or he's told the song like a month in advance so he can find tabs and practice it), in the one key he practiced in, exactly the way he practiced and that's no fun, in jams you usually take turns choosing songs or making them up.