Can we all agree that this is the best movie of 2014?

Can we all agree that this is the best movie of 2014?

What are some other movies like it? In terms of atmosphere, style, etc. Not necessarily plot.

One of them, yes. Astounding film, beautiful, haunting. Perfectly measured narrative momentum.

Tough to think of similar films, Glazer's previous film Birth maybe, Sexy Beast is great. Mark Romanek's Never Let Me Go maybe, beautifully directed sci-fi w/o any of the iconography.

thing is 2014 was a fucking fantastic year for film so it's a hard one.

the soundtrack alone is orgasmic. Glazer is the new Kubrick.
for similar feel, idk maybe Eyes Wide Shut. or for another pretty cool alien chick movie watch Spring.

I agree that it was really good

But the balance between style and substance was a little off for me to call the best of 2014; it leaned slightly too hard to the side of style

still a top tier movie and a pleb filter

It's a pretty great adaptation.
It's definitely not a straight adaptation but it captures a lot of the ideas and themes a lot better than the author did.

My fav film ever, desu

it's really good OP but nah

I'd say Stranger By the Lake, Straw Dogs, Boyhood, Maidan, and The Immigrant were all better

check out Pulse by Kurosawa

>Straw Dogs
Lol.

Boyhood was shit. Under the Skin was a commercial. Kubrick, my ass.

I also agree that, yes it's good, but probably not the best of 2014. Inherent Vice takes that spot for me

honestly never thought i'd see someone who had seen stranger by the lake on Sup Forums

oops

meant to say Stray Dogs

my bad

first off, Kubrick was a hack. Eyes Wide Shut is a masterpiece. 2001 is pretty great. The rest are disposable. Grow up.

Yeah, you two are such special snowflakes for seeing a film with a close up of a dick cumming. True art.

i was just surprised, no need to be upset. i can't even remember much from the movie, is there really a closeup of that?

Good taste in Kubrick, I'd consider 2001 a masterpiece as well, and would therefor not go so far as to call him a hack, but certainly the rest are very much overrated

>first off
Uh huh.
> Kubrick was a hack.
Means a lot from someone who thinks Boyhood and Under the Skin are great films.
>Eyes Wide Shut is a masterpiece.
I love the film but it's hardly that. Barry Lyndon is his masterpiece.
>The rest are disposable. Grow up.
Right. Yours isn't the opinion of a petulant wannabee authority on film. No, not at all.

no

Nice list, I'm Inherent Vice guy, I wasn't sure whether or not to include Hard to be a God as a 2014 movie or not

>I wasn't sure whether or not to include Hard to be a God as a 2014 movie or not
Certainly a dilemma for faggots.

Goodbye To Language was probably the best work that year OP. Stranger By The Lake, Leviathan and Under The Skin were strong runner-ups IMO.