ITT: Truly original unique artists who critics shit all over but then praise music made by other artists that sounds...

ITT: Truly original unique artists who critics shit all over but then praise music made by other artists that sounds exactly the same 3 years later

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g7WYEHZK5To
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

But Arular and Kala were praised? Also I unironically like Matangi. I don't know if that makes me a pleb or not but don't care.

I found her after listening to Nucleya who is an emerging DJ from India. He had a song somewhat copied from her Bird Flu

Only Pitchfork really shits on her though, she gets mostly favorable reviews from other sources.

The hate started after Kala

what's pitchfork's problem with her?

kala was christgau's favorite album of the 2000's

she doesn't need any more poptimist apologists

her last album probably exterminated the last of her apologists anyway

why?

They published a quote where Diplo said he spoonfed her all her politics and she pointed out that if a female producer claimed that she spoonfed her ex-boyfriend male artist all of the artist's politics about his HOME COUNTRY they would never have published it without verifying.

From that point on Pitchfork mysteriously began panning all of her albums with each of the reviews consisting of about 50% of personal attacks on her that have nothing to do with music. Lesson: when arguing against smug elitist white hipster filth, never correctly point out when they're being sexist or racist because they will go nuclear.

the vast majority of everyone i've heard from either hated it or seriously didn't care for it

She's so fucking hot

AIM is weak shit but it's literally the only not great album she put out.

It's absolutely fucking absurd that P4K would pan this record and call songs like this messy and unappealing about a year before they go full in on the Death Grips wank.

youtube.com/watch?v=g7WYEHZK5To

why did anyone ever take p4k seriously again?

this
maya was death grips before death grips.

Why is Diplo so shit next to her?

Her last album is such shit. Is she over?

This. MIA is above all else a pop act who makes end of year lists but doesn't sell popstar well. The amount of praise only went downhill at all when she did

interesting information

how bad was it? i'm still too afraid to check it out. the only track i really liked from matangi was lights.

i really like her

she's also a neo-liberal's (read: pitchfork reader's) worst nightmare in that she's an outspoken person of color with no desire to be infantilized and actual militant views rather than just bitching about racism on twitter

This
I love it when coddled SJWs' views are confounded.

MIA is MIA these days isn't she?

I dont "get" MIA

>im a woman and im not white and the government is bad
is that really all there is to it?

You are aware that music is an art form and cultural activity whose medium is sound and silence which exist in time, right?

Reading a verse of an artists lyrics and boiling the words down to a flimsy strawman isn't really an accurate representation of their musical output

i think you missed my point if you're a believer in le sjw boogeyman

She barely ever mentions the woman thing, or non-white thing for that matter. It's more government/geopolitics-related.

You should probably stick to something more nuanced like
>im a guy, i'm white and getting a gf is difficult core

p4k is the definition of sjw-ism.

there seems to be a rising critical turnaround on /\/\/\Y/\ the past year or so. I think by the end of the decade more people will have realized how influential the sound was.

>i put people on the map who've never seen a map
not a very generous opinion of your fellow sri lankans, but forgivable considering her comfortable london upbringing and university education

>but then praise music made by other artists that sounds exactly the same 3 years later
>3 years later

what sounded like m.i.a. in 2010? i mean this sincerely because I don't really follow mainstream music that much but Kala dropped in '07 and I've only started hearing songs that make me think 'hey, this sounds kinda like M.I.A. but much worse' in the last 3 years or so

but I'm quite sheltered from the radio so I could just be ignorant

whats MIA's fucking problem?

seriously. is there not one pic where she's smiling like a normal person?

she's always up to some edgy pose

Maya looks pretty young for her age.

tbf it makes her look like she's in her late teens to early twenties, and that picture was probs taken when she was in her early to mid 30s

so it's doing the job

She wasn't taking about Sri Lankans in that song. It was about poverty-stricken Angolans and Congolese.

what songs and artists sound like kala?

whats jay-z's fucking problem?

seriously. is there not one pic where he's smiling like a normal person?

he's always up to some edgy pose

coincidentally, you can only find candid pictures of him smiling

there's no in between

Arular is one of the best albums of the aughts, Kala was great. Everything that came afterwards was ranging from middling to terrible. I don't see the problems with "critics" shitting on bad music.

>implying MAYA wasn't GOAT

Get out, normie.

>aughts
I hope Trump deports anyone who uses this phrase

t. "le smile everyone, the world is rainbows and le sunshine! XD :)) *le huggies*"-tier normie

Let's not forget theneedledrop also shit on Sleigh Bells "Treats" whose sound heavily influenced and sounds like MAYA by M.I.A. (which he also disliked) which is basically Death Grips but with female voices and more poppy sound. Then continues to dickride DG for years to come.

So many two-faced fuckhead critics out there. P4k is not the only one.

Diplo would've struggled to pay his rent if he didn't meet M.I.A.
No M.I.A., no Major Lazer, no nothing.

A lot of the tracks that were already released before the official album release are the best ones. e.g. Bird Flu (Diplo remix), Swords etc.
Also it's funny you mention Lights is the only one you liked since that is the least liked track on Matangi by many people.

>I only know her song Paper Planes and I base my thoughts on her on the fact that she's an Asian woman and I also remembered she occasionally talks about politics.

>smiling like a normal person
Have you ever heard about an artist shaping her image? She wants to be remembered as an "I don't give a fuck about what you think" type of person. She isn't trying to be the new member of 5th Harmony by putting on a fake smile.

hey MIA

Ok, you exposed me. AMA.

heres a question

what's your fucking problem?

>STOP PROVING ME WRONG!

How are self-righteously puritanical (and ignorant) neo-liberals not the definition of SJWs?

With what?

No one cares. Fuck off.

It's relevant to the conversation, you snivelling upstart.

Having to hold a braindead Sup Forumstard's hand through a simple discussion because they're unable to see anything out of their narrow little box isn't relevant to anything.

This is a music discussion thread on a music discussion board and all discussion of politics should pertain specifically to the artist and her music which impossible for you so you should fuck off back to your safe space board and whine about refugees and SJWs and MIA all you want with the dummies who think exactly like you.

???

YA PRIVILEGE WASSUP WIT DAT

I hate Pitchfork so goddamn much

puritanical is not an accurate way to describe sjws.

ignorance has surprisingly little to do with political alignments.

neo-liberal doesn't mean what you think it does.

co-signed

You seem to be misunderstanding. Those posters were not denigrating MIA for being a so-called SJW. In fact they were complimenting her on being too complex for such a simplistic world-view and rising above it; whereas P4K parrots the faux outrage of the wannabe ultra-progressive crowd.

many sjw's are totally puritanical, just like many alt-rightists.

FAAAGOOOT

'deep'

*gunshot noises*

explain how they are not then

you can't just use "puritan" in place of "moral". adhering to a code of morals is part of being puritanical but the word puritan comes loaded with lots of other connotations.

sjws are punitive liberals. alt-righters are just authoritarians. authoritarians are much more interested in ethics than morals, and moreover they mostly just like social codes because it gives them grounds on which to punish the weak.

m.i.a. is clearly a self-professed bad girl however, stating that her chain hits her chest when she's banging on the dash. this puts her somewhere on the bad-good girl continuum rather than aligning her with any specific political group.

Wrong thread, pal.

eh

nice

Wow, alright dude! Totally righteous man! Radical.

I just got that bar...hmmm

>YOU'RE A FUCKING WHITE MALE!!!

>YOU'RE A FUCKING NON-WHITE WOMAN!!!

how does this sound like DG...?

>41 years old

>boogeyman
they exist though

whats Nas's fucking problem?

seriously. is there not one pic where he's smiling like a normal person?

he's always up to some edgy pose

Aged like fine wine

Are all Sri Lankans like this, or is she just special?

Outside of the vocals, how DOESN'T it sound like DG?

I feel like if you think that song sounds like DG, you have a very shallow understanding of what actually makes DG DG.

the guitar on that song sounds like some horribly cheesy alt rock kind of thing, the drumming sounds way too repetitive to be DG-like, the whole song sounds like a loop of just several seconds, and even though you said "besides the vocals", Ride's vocals are a huge part of what makes DG's sound unique and MIA's vocals are awful on that song.

Liking Matangi makes you patrician, I don't think it's her best album but it's stellar and the critical backlash to it has influenced the general opinion of that album far too much

you begin op

Am I the only one who likes Arular?

Yeah MAYA was the last cd I bought back in 2015 and I liked the heck out of it, I thought it's stupid how these pretentious faggots cum over any random asshole making industrial but the n write their smug little thinkpieces about anyone who doesn't already have a circlejerk around them.

She looks like a bangladeshi slum rat . Dalit scum

Everyone likes Arular, it just got overshadowed by Piracy Funds Terrorism and then Kala

Hottest 41 year old in the history of the planet

She looks like a fucking 21 year old, unbelievable

pasTENT
preseTENT
and futurTENT

>pleb detected

>not wanting to fuck a bangladeshi slum rat
Get a load of this pleb lmao