Cornucopia of Resources / Guide

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
There's the door

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

ankiweb.net/shared/info/1199078757
vocaroo.com/i/s1g4olF0YBY9
mega.nz/#F!lBx1CLoZ!HG3VQVhSVyl8VLs58wgqCA
vocaroo.com/i/s1ym9qGTMNMf
books.rakuten.co.jp/rk/0cf3a53f69343c61b21d42adb743fb43/
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊦が(2)
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊦けれども
shinchosha.co.jp/ebook/E010941/
shinchosha.co.jp/ebook/E011131/
shinchosha.co.jp/ebook/E011161/
shinchosha.co.jp/book/117153/
a.uguu.se/mcjdaaJLkKiB_djt.pdn
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I had my finger on the trigger already, where is the title, Argentina?

i fucked up, brazil kun

>southern hemisphere DJT

anyone know if the right part in 昨 has anything to do with the right part in, say, 作 ?
Or like in 食, 艮 and 衣; all three share those little legs.
I'm surprised that what is painted in the pic aren't radicals.

help DJT, what does this mean?

Japanese vocab isn't hard; it's just time consuming. Yes, that includes kanji.

Learning easy things is obviously easier on you, making the process more enjoyable. You make progress and feel good about it and yourself.

Learning harder things is uncomfortable, and you often have to really push yourself to do it. It's fuzzy and indirect and vague. Sometimes it's unclear if you're even making progress despite the immense effort you're putting in, it feels out of proportion and is thus frustrating. Some people react to being wrong by getting angry and annoyed - I would know, as I'm one of them.

However, we only TRULY get better at skills when we are forced to really struggle to get through. Skills that force us to go through this uncomfortable, really pushing it feeling are usually skills that are valuable in the end, as many are unwilling to even attempt to start learning them.

Yes it can seem inconsistent and bullshit, but it's still the easiest path to understanding. Grammar rules were written after the fact, weren't they? Yet, they summarize the patterns you would otherwise spend a LONGASS amount of time trying to absorb via input.

Burying your head in the sand of ONLY learning vocabulary isn't going to make it go away, it's procrastination.

The legs in the first ones are part of the upper body, because you do the left one with a single stroke that starts way above.

飲 and 食 and 良 are related, but those leggies on the last one are probably way further on the kanji tree.

>Burying your head in the sand of ONLY learning vocabulary isn't going to make it go away, it's procrastination.
HEEEEEY, I call bullshit. I only do flaschards with some listening and occasional production, have read half of Tae Kim when starting out but pretty much forgotten everything.

Still, I'm able to communicate pretty well already, only through Vocabulary grinding and sample sentences. I'm almost done with Core10k and THEN I will unbury my head, finish Tae Kim and start to glue the pieces I've absorbed so far.

>I'm almost done with Core10k
I didn't even know there was a Core10k. I'm at a hundred or less in the 2k
How long have you been studying?

Not doing much production is fine; but try not to make your studies too lopsided in terms of grammar / vocab ratio. Doing too much of either side isn't the greatest, but that post is more to wake up those who've fallen into ankidrone habits.

Really think and ask yourself: are you putting off grammar because you really want to finish vocab, or is it actually procrastination? Only you can answer that.

What I think I hear: ひきしめなおしてあげましょう。
What I think it is: 引き締め直してあげましょう。

Is this right? I assume that means "Let's tighten it back up." which makes some sense in this context but seems a bit strange. I don't know, it just feels wrong like I might be missing something.

I think when I see only that part of sentence, I feel strange a little, too.
Perhaps that is 気を引き締め直す?
In this case, I think it is natural.

I think you're right.
気を引き締め直してあげましょう
"Let's refocus her energy."
That makes perfect sense here. I think they just dropped the 気を and that confused me. ありがとう先輩。

You're welcome. :)

13 months. about 2,5 more to go.
(There's a Core30k, but I don't advise doing it)

Ah, I see! Definitely it's a matter of checking off the "basic vocabulary" thing from the list for me. I can do several Tae Kims a day, it's just I can't juggle Anki and other study with the time I have.

core 3ok? holy shit

gg

Daily reminder: Finish your reps and do atleast 10 new words. 30+ if possible!

I match with 20, 30 is a bit much and my retention shitters over the next few days because of it.

>Core30k
That's monk in a secluded mountain hut level of autism.

Where's the Austrailian from yesterday who was at 1200 words in 6k?
I'm challenging him to a race, I'm at 1300 today.

Canada annexes Austrailia if I win.

>That's monk in a secluded mountain hut level of autism.
No, this is ankiweb.net/shared/info/1199078757

Takes 23 years on a 20 cards per day basis.

Now go with the next step
今何を着ているの?
>Replies with something
ええー
信じられない、証拠出せ

There you go, just helped you out buddy

Your last sentence is nonsense

She understood so w/e. I was trying to ask her what her job was.

Now go with
外人と付き合ったことある?

lol

>外人と付き合ったことないですね
>付き合ってみたいです
fug I didn't expect this

has anybody ever tackled the JU Dict? I might do it. 100 words a day, know every word in the japanese language in 4 years

Alright now we in
next stop flavortown

In both 昨・サク and 作・サク, the right radical 乍 acts as the phonetic サク. This is derived from the old Chinese /*[dz]ˤak/ which evolved into /d͡zɑk̚/ in middle Chinese, and finally さく in Japanese. The etymology of 乍 is complicated, some sources state its sowing two pieces of cloth together, but looking at the evolution and use of 乍 I'm not sure about that assertion. 乍 is made up of the lying down 人 person, 丨straight stroke and 二 two/second, so it may have a semantic meaning of not doing something twice/doing something for the first time.

Look at the following:
乍・サク ・though/while/during
昨・サク・yesterday/ previous
作・サク・make/produce
鮓 salted fish
痄・せ・ジャ・ mumps/swelling/sores
詐・せ・lie/deceive
笮・サク・tile support boards (you put them under tiles when roofing)
拃 grope/press

There doesn't seem to be a common thread that links 乍 to all these words except its phonetic usage.

衣・イ・エ is cloth or coverings. It's an ancient kanji showing arms or legs being covered. 艮 evolved from 𥃩 and shows an 目 eye and 匕 spoon/change. Its an astrological hanzi which later evolved into 艮 northeast. 艮 and 衣 are not related. Similarly 食 is derived from 𠊊 which shows a mouth over a bowl of rice. 食 and 艮 are not related either.

In this case its just a matter of simplification making very different hanzi/kanji look similar. There is no relation between the three of them.

>girl just said ganbatte with the little heart

what does it mean???

bahahaha

Soji is a guys name. Time to pull out the old じゃあね?

You know what to do, user

Why would we stop?

There are no brakes to flavortown.

It's 新作戦タイム let's go

なかなか

Definition 1:Hardly,not at all
Definition 2:Rather,pretty

I'm sorry, what?

Why are you learning a weeb language when you could be learning Esperanto?

>no culture
>no entertainment
>no practical use
Tell me more about your pretend language.

There is nothing wrong with unpractical conlangs.
But Esperanto sucks ass, yes.

>このままじゃだめだ!

So I've probably heard this sentence dozens of times and I understand it, but I just realized I have no idea what that じゃ is doing there. To me it seems like it should be で or something instead. Explanation please?

では → じゃ

I got the same but an eggplant emoji

A lot of definitions in EDICT are "negative" definitions in the sense that the word, together with a verb in negative form, takes that meaning

あまり too much
あまりない not many

so the word itself doesn't change and the definition is technically wrong, it's just that the word, negated, takes that meaning

なかなか~ない
Hardly at all, not quite
このパズルはなかなか解けない。

なかなか + adjective/positive verb
pretty, quite
この料理はなかなかうまいじゃないか。

It will take me 20 days of anki to build up the vocab for episode one of Non Non Biyori.

Ohhhh I really should have figured that out. Thanks

Why did de+ha morph into ja, did old japanese pronounce DE as JE or something?

say it fast

I hear a certain kangaroo coming to tell you.

寝たくない
仕事したくない

日本語をだけ勉強したい

vocaroo.com/i/s1g4olF0YBY9

>日本語をだけ勉強したい
日本語を勉強したいだけ

D and J are in the same place, and if you combine the d and w into one thing it kinda turns into a fricative

ありがとう

その補正が欲しいでした

I agree, if you look at how languages evolve with tons of different dialects and different parts of Japan ruling in different periods, then add 500-1000ish years, it's not impossible.

I tried to Google but I didn't really know what to search.

Feel free to demonstrate, I say it doesn't sit in my mouth in any way possible.

How do I say that the world is very detailed? I posted it on lang-8 and neither people got the sentence corrected right. By detailed I mean that it's polished well and has a lot more details because the game went into a 3D environment before it was 2D. This was my sentence. 世界はとても詳しくて、キャラクターは3Dモデルになりました。

細かい

ひとりぼっちの○○生活 第3巻 is out~!
Got the jackpot with digital scans.

mega.nz/#F!lBx1CLoZ!HG3VQVhSVyl8VLs58wgqCA

Look up what palatalization is, I'm pretty sure this is an example of it.

I speak a bit of Russian, I'm familiar with the concept, but I see no way the phonemes for modern Japanese De and Wa to morph into Ja, even slurring it to an extreme.

If you palatalize your D and make it preeetty hard, it may sound like a shade of J, but then the Wa comes and stops it from happening.

Besides, the J sound has more going on with the teeth.

Something happened along the way with the D sounds or with the J themselves.

Where do you get those, or do you rip them yourself?

vocaroo.com/i/s1ym9qGTMNMf

So you have to unvoice your Ds and let the wa do the job... hm... japs are autistic.

>Where do you get those
楽天。
books.rakuten.co.jp/rk/0cf3a53f69343c61b21d42adb743fb43/

I thought that が (for saying "but") was more polite than けど but on lang-8 I sometimes get corrected to say が instead when I'm not using any polite language in my entire post (and they don't correct anything else to be polite either). Are there more rules to choosing between the two?

Would anyone happen to have a scan of 夢の木坂分岐点?

どう?

が doesn't necessarily have the same potential connotations towards hesitation or reservations towards something if used in a reply which けど can have. が is less relative that けど.
Compare the Notes section of each of the following:
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊦が(2)
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊦けれども

Would you settle for some of his other works?
新潮社 itself has digital versions available of certain of his works, a couple of examples:
shinchosha.co.jp/ebook/E010941/
shinchosha.co.jp/ebook/E011131/
shinchosha.co.jp/ebook/E011161/
shinchosha.co.jp/book/117153/

I was hoping I would find 夢の木坂分岐点 somewhere, but this is fine too.
Ill take a look at some of these ,thanks.

>I was hoping I would find 夢の木坂分岐点 somewhere
Yeah, can't find a digital footprint for it, sadly.
Buying physical goods from Japanese online retailers is a bitch even without the whole shipping from half way across the world (for you guys at least).

Id just buy a copy if that shit wasnt the case

The samurai don't want foreign gold.

Unfortunately phonology is outside my area of expertise.

Your expertise consists of three keystrokes: Ctrl、c、v。

I see. Then I'll yoroshiku on your onegaishimasu to keep posting these here. Thanks a lot.

Your DJT pic looks cute enough, making the DJT initials bigger would seal the deal.

>Then I'll yoroshiku on your onegaishimasu to keep posting these here.
It's the main reason I post here, to hopefully attract more anons into reading manga by providing them things I am enjoying which aren't available currently on the high bandwidth piraseas.

>making the DJT initials bigger would seal the deal.
こう?
Here is the paint.net file if you want to muck around with the layers or use a certain aspect of it for anything else:
a.uguu.se/mcjdaaJLkKiB_djt.pdn

>this thread wasn't filtered to the top because the subject was fucked up
>thought there was no thread

black power

Thank you for learning Japanese.

We don't know the meaning of 'The world is very detailed.'.
Perhaps I guess any one of 緻密 精密 繊細 巧妙 is suitable.

俺は作文を書きます、毎日の活動について。
導入文と申し出るおください。

自己紹介をさせてください かな。。

どうぞ

>made up bullshit nobody speaks
might as well learn klingon, faggot

好きです、ありがとうアノンさん

手前生国と発しまするは関東にござんす。
関東と言ってもいささか広うござんす。
九十九里の海で産湯をつかい筑波の山々を遠く眺めて育った生粋の房総っ子にござんす。

no, I just tried to translate a sentence of German post.

:)

I'll suffer for at least a month before my retention will raise and my reviews will decrease.
I hate myself.

BASED user

>no title
Ya blew it.

you can still find the thread though

be able to (do)
我々は其れが出来る
we can do it
木の小枝を刃物で取り除く象形が「乍」だよ
それから
鮓は鮨と同じく寿司を表し「すし」だ
詐は音読みで「サ」 詐欺 詐害行為

おバカさんやね

>導入文
なるほどintroductionと言いたかったのね
とりあえず
お控えなすって
くれ

これを抜かすと仁義は切れないぜ

Fuck off.

昨日、友達とお風呂屋さんに行った。
what does the san stand for here?

It's kind of referring to the place as a person or the person behind the counter at such a place in a formal way. I don't know how to describe it, but its common for ~屋さん,
like ケーキ屋さん、ラーメン屋さん、駄菓子屋さん.

the same thing it always means
屋 words are often kind of a combined notion of the store itself and the person running the store. So despite talking about a store it's natural to say things like 八百屋さん

>Tfw it's already been a month since I've started
Hopefully the next 2 months for the 2k deck will go just as good as the first one

Thanks for pointing that out, it is correct but there are other considerations.

This user is referring to the Cangjie input system, which lists 竹 bamboo twigs and 尸 hatchet as components of 乍. Looking at it in its kanji form is certainly convincing because it DOES look like a knife or hatchet cutting off twigs. The oracle bone script also looks like twigs and a pitchfork/implement. It is very convincing and does work with the meaning of 'work', which it is derived from.

All that being said, it is an ancient kanji and its meaning will have changed over time and through different periods. Other sources give different interpretations.

As for yesterday's lesson - I was sick, so I will do a double today.

Adjectival Nouns #20: Used as complements

あの事件は公になりました。・あのじけんはおおやけになりました。・The incident became public.

事件・ジケン・incident is made up of 事・ジ・matter and 件・ケン・affair. 事・こと is an ideogrammic compound of a ⺕ hand writing down what is being 口 said. 件 shows a 人・ひと man and his 牛・うし cow, original meaning being a "unit", but was also used as "document" or "letter", possibly related to transporting documents. In Japanese has come to mean affair or matter as well. Together 事件 has come to mean a specific matter and affair, usually an event or an incident - but can also refer to a scandal or trouble.

公・おおやけ・public has several etymological interpretations. Some sources state it is 八 a deviation from 厶 private/individual, while others think it may be 八 division of 口 resources. One source states the kanji is derived from 瓮 which is an ancient large jar, which were used for the public. Personally, I find thinking of this kanji as 八 distributing to 厶 private citizens serves the 公 public.

あの事件は・that incident (subject)・公になりました。public became

Cont'd.

how many fucking cards are you adding each day?

Most of the time 20, sometimes if i feel good and have more time 40.
I guess i review each card 10-20 times before i press good, or as long as it takes until I can read the kanji + meaning without thinking.