Whats the difference between /bleep/ and EDM?

Whats the difference between /bleep/ and EDM?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5krL1GyzwJo
youtube.com/watch?v=yoN6yD3ME_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=-01k8eyv9Wc
youtube.com/watch?v=6jQ_bOP0HfY
youtu.be/UFa7eUx6yNI?t=56s
residentadvisor.net/dj-100.aspx
djmag.com/top100dj
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

there's no difference

nothing

EDM is a corporate monstrosity aimed at extracting wealth from millennials.
Bleep is for neckbeards who listen to Frankie knuckles and aphex twin

The same difference as Foo Fighters and King Crimson.

Yeah, see

literally nothing
they listen to the exact same porter robinson shit plus shitty rap too

production-wise /bleep/ is a tiny bit more sophisticated

Where does this fit? youtube.com/watch?v=5krL1GyzwJo

>Bleep is for neckbeards who listen to Frankie knuckles and aphex twin
don't insult Frankie, he was a good kid

Don't be dissin my boy Porter desu

/bleep/ is for more underground electronic music that is less cheesy and generally a bit more atmospheric. Moody bangers, dusty techno that sort of thing

>describing /r/electonicmusic instead

/bleep/ would laugh in your face if you posted frankie, aphex or porter

grime, jungle, techno and dub are the genres listened to there, with some deep house, liquid dnb and breakbeat thrown in.

that's EDM. it's too much "wait for the sick drop bro" and has the idea that louder = better.

these are more /bleep/

youtube.com/watch?v=yoN6yD3ME_Y

youtube.com/watch?v=-01k8eyv9Wc

>bleep would laugh at frankie
it is his birthday please show some respect

did u really have to post mall grab ffs

Can't is a banger tho

You're the same asshat in all these threads. Porter is fucking shit. EDM is shit. Bin yourself and go back to r eddit.

100% shitty youtube EDM

I don't understand this thread. I'm not really into electronic music anyway but as I understand it, OP's question is "what is the difference between genre called Electronic Dance Music and Sup Forums's thread generals named /bleep/ discussing that type of music?" or what? Am I missing something? What the hell is /bleep/, I thought it was name for a thread just like /gg/ is for guitars&bass discussion.

Very basically since I lost the long post I was making:
/bleep/ is a bunch of genres with a common origin in disco, the style of music being played in discotheques (i.e. clubs) in late 70's America. /bleep/ is all music which keeps that original definition of music produced to be played in a club as part of a DJ set to get people to dance.
EDM is a concoction of some of these underground club sounds which entered the mainstream in America around 2011, conquering the charts and birthing huge festivals worth millions of dollars (something which has happened before, c.f. electro birthing hip hop music, house/trance defining virtually all of European pop).

Anyway, the difference is that one has a focus on club culture and club play and the other does not.

im not even /bleep/ but im pretty sure edm is more like "bro sick drop hype music" and bleep is more like tryna make actual compositions/songs that sound all electronic and stuff

This is oldschool house.

neither of those are "oldschool house" (first one is lo-fi house, something decidely modern) and the second one isn't even house at all, it's jungle

FF being bleep of course.

You can tell it's /bleep/ because the youtube videos always use a circular picture of a disc/record cause they're fags I guess idk

this

There's edm that doesn't have a drop. There's always halftime, glitch hop, breakbeat, and trance. Plus liquid doesn't really need a drop if you pull off the drums well

still a large difference between "EDM" and all the other electronic dance music styles out there

EDM is "party music"
/bleep/ is all kinds of electronic music

/bleep/ only listens to the dance shit though

>My comparison(Using house music as a focus of my comparison)
>EDM (Modern electronica)
-Uses risers(usually that sound you hear when the chorus starts)
-If it does have a bassline, sometimes it will be a loud bassy bassline.
-Doesn't always rely on a bassline, but focuses more on a melody.
-A cliche is when a beat "drops"
-Uses "dramatic" synthesizers and is made for the mass consumer market.
-Usually released as a radio mix
-Sometimes the chord of the synthesizers are set to be keep rising at 1/4(Volume of the chords go up and down every beat).
>bleep (focuses more on elements of older electornica music)
-Some are reliant on bassline.
-Subtle changes throughout the song and is monotone with repeating notes and chords(One section will have the bassline removed and then hi-hats will be added in the next section, then the chords will be removed and you reintroduce your bass drum, introduce the snares, take-off the bassline and snares at the same time, rinse repeat to your liking, ect...)
-Some songs can last more than 4 minutes(not usually released for radio play, they are released as singles and usually not in albums).

Demonstration of:
>Considered "bleep house" by todays standards(was top 40 electronic music in the 80's)
youtube.com/watch?v=6jQ_bOP0HfY

>Considered "EDM House" (its a remix of the song above)
youtu.be/UFa7eUx6yNI?t=56s

christ
talk about butchering a classic

ur talking about technO?
techno is just lazy people making repetitive dj tools with drum loops, the worse the more likely it is to be played.
succesful edm requires effort.

I was going to tell you to can it until you made fun of /beep/ too.

Yeah that's your answer OP. Technically difference in music theory but artistic wise absolutely nothing. They're both quite literally "electronic dance music" except one is bright and glitzy and the other is skeletal and hollow.

nothing

Just by looking at the picture you can tell it's EDM.

just do urself a favor and filter bleep

save a life

this
/bleep/ is awful

Am I supposed to dance to /bleep/?
I was expecting it to be highly experimental and obscure electronic music since it was Sup Forums after all but all I found was music i'd expect my pleb friends to be playing. Was I correct in dismissing it so quickly?

what was some of the shit you found?

>neckbeards that like Frankie knuckles and aphex twins

As a /bleep/ I died laughing at this. Thnx m8

Yeah cuz plebs are super into dub techno, which isn't obscure or experimental at all (especially compared to usual Sup Forums suspects like daft punk or whatnot)
ffs

Take any skrillex fan boy and force them to listen to the Northern Electronics or Honest Jons catalog. There's your difference

It's just like monstercat edm shit

Well I'm a fan of 70's/80's dub but does /bleep/ really like it? I guess I should browse there more often than.

>Am I supposed to dance to /bleep/?
yes
>I was expecting it to be highly experimental and obscure electronic music
it is
electronic dance music and music of the "highly experimental and obscure variety are in no way mutually exclusive. To think so it's incredibly ignorant on your part. Typical Sup Forums attitude I suppose. And don't even get me started on you guys are your rockist obsession with studio albums somehow being the only way to consume music...

>Well I'm a fan of 70's/80's dub but does /bleep/ really like it?
It's not one of the most commonly discussed genres in those threads, but yes. It was incredibly influential on a lot of /bleep/ music.

bin yourselves

/bleep/ is shit

bleeps are the best music today

that remix is horrific

bleep is for those who have lower self esteem

>bleep

residentadvisor.net/dj-100.aspx

>EDM

djmag.com/top100dj

>/bleep/
>RA top 100 DJs
lmao, more like
>/techhouse/

Delet

thanks for these

oh shit he's on to us

EDM used to englobe all electronic dance music, but since America's latest bastardization of the term it is now associated with rave-like, loud and distorted, vaguely techno-ish/brostepish stuff like Martin Garrix, Dimitri Vegas, Hardwell, Avicci and the likes. Generally really same-y, loud and energetic music meant mainly for festivals.

/bleep/ refers to the dance music that spawned from Detroit and was adopted and developed in Europe. Techno, dub techno, d'n'b, jungle, house, footwork, trance, 2step, dubstep, grime, etc., associated with the original raves and a more club-like, moody environment.

>louder = better.
but thats true